Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 173963 times
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #115: Mar 13, 2020 11:13:10 am
      England friendlies off
      The suspension of elite football in England means the England friendlies against Italy and Denmark, scheduled for 27 March and 31 March respectively, will not take place.

There goes winning it in record time.

As gutted as I am, it is the right thing to do. I just hope it starts back up again.

I don't see international football - club or national - happening for a while so there should be room eventually. The PL want to rearrange the cancelled fixtures, so at least at this stage it looks like they're determined to continue the season.

At least we'll have Alisson back by the time we play Everton.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #116: Mar 13, 2020 11:20:58 am
      Unbe-f###ing-lievable!!!

30 years waiting to win the league again, many years thinking I may never see it again!

We blitz our way through to the biggest gap between 1st & 2nd in the HISTORY of top flight English football and a f###ing worldwide pandemic breaks out when we're 2 wins away from the Holy Grail!!

It's like a bad f###ing joke!!

Whatever happens, this will be remembered as the season of the Coronaf###ing virus!

We truly are the footballing gods' plaything!!

F###ety F###!!!!

Have a nice weekend, fellow reds 

Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Reply #117: Mar 13, 2020 11:23:50 am
      As I've said a couple of times I dont see them just cancelling the league.. I just dont.
      Eventually things will sort themselves out and I think they'll continue at that point

But f**k, I was 8 last time liverpool won this title, ivewaited my entire adult life and its ridiculous how much i want it and i was looking forward to seeing us lift that trophy.
      However, some things are more important and if it meant the league got cancelled over someone I know, a relative or a friend or whoever dying? Think about it.. then in the grand scheme of things I'd take that.. if my mother passed away because of this then would I be able to celebrate the league title? Would i f**k

The world has to sort this out
      Bang on ,my dad who at 88 has a heart condition so my concern is his wellbeing at the moment.
      A point worth remembering is that we’ve waited 30 years for this moment so waiting a little while longer shouldn’t  hurt to much.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #118: Mar 13, 2020 11:26:29 am
      At least we'll have Alisson back by the time we play Everton.
      Genuinely impressed that a Liverpool fan has found a silver-lining in this whole situation  :D
      Jimsouse67

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Reply #119: Mar 13, 2020 11:27:09 am
      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ES-jzspXsAIY_Bw?format=jpg&name=small
       If the league is postponed until April the only way it’ll actually get finished is if Boris Johnson starts to take action like all the  other countries to stop the spread. I don’t have much faith in that idiot though. Hands down the worlds most stupid man!
      A buffoon and blithering idiot.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #120: Mar 13, 2020 11:32:33 am
      Twitter is that last place I'd look for legit news

BBC head reporter.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #121: Mar 13, 2020 11:35:01 am
      Parties admit resuming matches in early April almost impossible

Dan Roan

BBC Sports editor

These are deeply turbulent times in English football - and across world sport of course - which is having to face up to a period of disruption and dislocation unprecedented in peacetime.

Privately, all parties admit that resuming matches in early April - when the initial suspension will be reviewed - will be almost impossible.

But the hope is that next week a decision is taken to postpone Euro2020 for a year, thereby freeing up space in the calendar to re-schedule outstanding matches and complete domestic league seasons across the continent at some stage.

'There is a determination to complete the season'

This action goes against the government’s highly controversial advice to continue staging sports events despite mass gatherings being closed or cancelled across the world.

But, DCMS officials are known to be supportive of the decision football authorities have taken given the need to protect employees, and the mounting cases of players contracting the virus.

The problem is that the outbreak is expected to be at its peak in May and June so if the suspension keeps on being extended, some clubs may start to push for the season to be declared void, a nightmare scenario for clubs like Liverpool and Leeds Utd, who both stand on the brink of long-awaited glory.

But as it stands, there seems to be a determination to complete the season if at all possible.

Simply stopping the season as it stands now seems unlikely given it would run the risk of legal action from clubs relegated or denied promotion.

The EFL are now expected to ask the government for financial help for some of the clubs who now face even more financial uncertainty but there is no guarantee that this will be possible in these extraordinary times.
      « Last Edit: Mar 13, 2020 11:41:10 am by sms1986 »
      Jimsouse67

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Reply #122: Mar 13, 2020 11:37:40 am
      Parties admit resuming matches in early April almost impossible

Dan Roan

BBC Sports editor

These are deeply turbulent times in English football - and across world sport of course - which is having to face up to a period of disruption and dislocation unprecedented in peacetime.

Privately, all parties admit that resuming matches in early April - when the initial suspension will be reviewed - will be almost impossible.

But the hope is that next week a decision is taken to postpone Euro2020 for a year, thereby freeing up space in the calendar to re-schedule outstanding matches and complete domestic league seasons across the continent at some stage.
      However long it takes to sort the pandemic out is what’s important at the moment,everything comes to those who wait & we've waited 30 bloody years,one thing is for sure the trophy will end up at anfield we just have to sit tight.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #123: Mar 13, 2020 11:47:02 am
      Posted at 11:3911:39
      Simon Stone Q&A - 'Will is for season to be finished'

BBC Sport

@toshenhoff - What is the likelihood of the season being completely null & void?

It is very much the will of all the leagues and the majority of the clubs for that not to happen. There are so many complications that come with making a decision of that magnitude. Clearly, no-one knows how long the game will be in shut down. But whenever it restarts, I would think it will restart by finishing off this season.

Posted at 11:4511:45
      BREAKING
      Scottish FA suspends all football

The Scottish FA has suspended all professional and grassroots football in Scotland until further notice.

Ian Maxwell, Scottish FA chief executive: “Today’s announcement is made in the interests of public health but, equally, the health and safety of players, match officials, and staff across the game. This is of paramount importance as the country enters the ‘delay’ phase of the coronavirus pandemic.

“It is also why the Scottish FA is compelled to ensure that the suspension is cascaded through the non-professional and grassroots games until further notice.”
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #124: Mar 13, 2020 11:54:40 am
      BREAKING
      West Ham players in self-isolation

West Ham players are in self-isolation after they came into contact with Mikel Arteta during Saturday's Premier League game against Arsenal.

Posted at 11:5211:52
      Simon Stone Q&A - 'All teams in the same position'

@kay_tee_cue - How will it affect the momentum of teams like Manchester United?

Clearly it has an impact but everyone is in the same position. Tottenham might not be too disappointed given the number of injuries they have but who knows what the situation will be when matches start again. It is not entirely clear whether players will carry on training. We are in completely uncharted territory here.

11:55
      'Sirens won't stop in April'

Henry Winter

Chief Football Writer for the Times on BBC Radio 5 Live

There are some clubs that will have serious problems. This idea that on 3 April the sirens stop and we go back and play football again is just naive.

What the medical advisers are saying is this is a long period - possibly 12-14 weeks. The date of 3 April has just been come up with and then they will think again.

I wouldn't be surprised if English football is playing in June. Obviously the Euros would have to be put back a year, then it's just a question of the sporting integrity of football as to when league programmes are finished.

Take for example West Bromwich Albion. They are fighting to get back in the Premier League. If West Brom go up, that's worth a minimum of £20m in television money alone.

The Premier League and EFL need to show leadership - which they should've done earlier in the week - to go through and work out how they can reach a conclusion to the season, but the obvious casualty of that is Euro 2020.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #125: Mar 13, 2020 12:08:46 pm
      This seems a very sensible step, put all players and coaches into isolation for 2 weeks, followed by 1 week to get back up to speed then play the remaining fixtures behind closed doors, its almost like they listened to me :-)
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,730 posts | 3946 
      Reply #126: Mar 13, 2020 12:15:20 pm
      This pandemic is F***ing mental
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #127: Mar 13, 2020 12:17:34 pm
      This seems a very sensible step, put all players and coaches into isolation for 2 weeks, followed by 1 week to get back up to speed then play the remaining fixtures behind closed doors, its almost like they listened to me :-)

I don’t think so mate, this is just a temporary suspension, we’re looking at a much longer break
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #128: Mar 13, 2020 12:18:28 pm
      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ES-jzspXsAIY_Bw?format=jpg&name=small
       If the league is postponed until April the only way it’ll actually get finished is if Boris Johnson starts to take action like all the  other countries to stop the spread. I don’t have much faith in that idiot though. Hands down the worlds most stupid man!

It's not idiocy, it's deliberate.

This is Johnson/Cummings chance to "cull the herd" of the weakest and elderly.
      Cummings is a big fan of eugenics.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,730 posts | 3946 
      Reply #129: Mar 13, 2020 12:19:06 pm
      I think there is a very real possibility this league campaign becomes null and void
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #130: Mar 13, 2020 12:22:50 pm
      Yup, only a small cull but every little helps and that.

It's the reason schools etc aren't closing.
      All the little darlings can infect their grandparents and weak relatives.

It's F***ing sickening.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #131: Mar 13, 2020 12:24:08 pm
      On the plus side, at least this break means we won’t have Adrian in goal next time out.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #132: Mar 13, 2020 12:25:35 pm
      Title on hold then, but will we get it now?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,730 posts | 3946 
      Reply #133: Mar 13, 2020 12:25:36 pm
      On the plus side, at least this break means we won’t have Adrian in goal next time out.

Amen
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #134: Mar 13, 2020 12:30:07 pm
      Posted at 12:0412:04
      Simon Stone Q&A - 'No-one in football expects situation to change in three weeks'

Simon Stone

BBC Sport

@SiBanstead - I take it the fixtures that are already scheduled for that weekend are the next to be played?

Yes. But given the medical advice yesterday, I don’t think anyone in football seriously expects the situation to have changed in three weeks and therefore the present situation is much more likely to be extended that lifted.

Simon Stone Q&A - 'I don't see matches being played until after virus peak'

Simon Stone

BBC Sport

@FouadHu56592647 - If the Coronavirus lasts for the next six months, then does that mean no football whatsoever will be played in that period?

It is possible, yes. In theory, matches could be played this weekend. It is the clubs who have made the decision today – the government said yesterday matches could continue for now. No-one, certainly not me, knows how long the current situation will last for. I don’t see matches being played until the coronavirus problem has passed its peak point, which the medical experts said yesterday could be between 10 and 14 weeks.

12:31
      Simon Stones Q&A

Simon Stone

BBC Sport

@dariopol - The situation is unlikely to improve dramatically until the summer, late May or June. Given that there are still nine or 10 rounds in the top leagues in the UK is a play-off scenario a possibility? What would that even look like? Liverpool play Man City for the PL?

I can see how it could happen, purely because, as you say, there are nine games to be played, plus three FA Cup rounds, plus Europe. Given a clear window, you are looking at about six weeks to complete the calendar, with midweek games.

Title on hold then, but will we get it now?

Unless something forces the PL to void this season, I don't see them doing so. This season will be finished, in my opinion.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #135: Mar 13, 2020 12:35:08 pm

Cancel large gatherings like sporting events.......allow people in places like London to pile onto the tube and other forms of mass transit where they are literally packed together like sardines.

It makes no sense.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #136: Mar 13, 2020 12:37:12 pm
      I don’t think so mate, this is just a temporary suspension, we’re looking at a much longer break

why? If all the players are self isolated for 2 weeks then have regular tests plus play games behind closed doors what's the issue?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #137: Mar 13, 2020 12:37:53 pm
      I think there is a very real possibility this league campaign becomes null and void

Not according to the league or clubs

Quick Reply