Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166274 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1587: May 23, 2020 07:29:22 pm
      In Mexico, eight football players from a top division club have tested positive for coronavirus. None of the players for Santos Laguna shows any symptoms. The rest of the team are still waiting for their test results.

Not far off a coronavirus XI. In one team. 

What is becoming increasingly fascinating to me is that it's taken the wide scale testing in footballers for us to begin to get a handle on just how many people have no symptoms.

Mexico cancels season with no champion named.

https://napavalleyregister.com/sports/mexico-cancels-incomplete-soccer-season-over-virus-concerns/article_31fd445e-a14c-5627-acef-23774b1f985a.html

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1588: May 23, 2020 07:36:18 pm
      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Liga_MX_season - looks very close at the top, first and second separated only by goal difference.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #1589: May 23, 2020 07:53:54 pm
      I'm a cop in America and I have had to respond to a lot of calls where people were complaining of COVID like symptoms. My county has 24 confirmed cases out of a population of about 16k. In all the calls I've gone to assist EMS with these calls I've only come in contact with one person who tested positive. Definitely a sucky experience to have to get tested and live at the office awaiting my results and not seeing my family.

Dealing with people who didn't adhere to social distancing and weren't taken the virus seriously was somewhat nerve racking. I wasn't so much worried about the virus as I was thinking of all the other things I was supposed to be cognisent of ( distance, PPE, asking medical questions) while investigating a crime. It definitely divided my attention in situations that I needed to be thinking of officer safety. It was also bizarre to go from call to call and see the panic that most people adopted when someone new showed up.

Things have definitely calmed down these last few weeks. I quit wearing a mask and have somewhat come out of hiding. I certainly think it's a serious thing, however, I talk with a lot of EMTs and nurses and most have said it just didn't end up as bad as we thought it was gonna be. Most people who get it never know they had it. It certainly effects older people, people with underlining illnesses, and I certainly don't wanna minimize this disease as so many have lost loved ones from it. At the same time I want people to understand that in terms of a pandemic this is a fairly mild one. Shelter in place / stay at home orders need to be lifted in areas that the data shows aren't high risk and target population certainly need to social distances themselves until this dies down. But to kill the economy and spread fear fpr something the data contradicts is ridiculous. I certainly wouldn't take action on a call where some small business owner is trying to work to keep his livelihood alive (our Sheriff is one the same page).

I live in New Jersey and I have $2500 warrant for my arrest.  I’ve called multiple police departments and the warrant is for a failure to appear for a traffic violation.

The officer said “So you want to get this cleared up?”

I said “yes sir I do”

He asked why I failed to appear?”

I said “I was at work”

He said “John they will not even take you right now.”
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #1590: May 23, 2020 08:03:41 pm
      Sorry should have posted this in The Arkles Covid thread
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1591: May 23, 2020 08:23:25 pm
      I don't understand how you would catch the virus in that circumstance, can you please explain it to me.

Huyton Red just named one or two of many ways heimdall. Basically saying even if you do everything right can still catch it.

Let me explain how life as been for me two weeks before lockdown. First of all I'm in the 20% bracket  whereas I'm more vunrable than others to possible catching the virus due to my health issues, not going into my health side as isn't warranted.

To some people (( definitely me )) I'm more paranoid than most so extra careful, many will say over extreme but can't be helped. It's my choice and if it means there's 0.1 less chance of me getting the virus then it's worth.

My two children were doing my shopping until last week whereas I've now ventured out. However, when they bring my shopping they don't come into the house as you can even walk in after picking something off your shoes, highly unlikely but still possible. They leave shopping at the door, I use gloves in case any germs on bags or even  my shopping goods till I wash/clean as many items as possible in a bacteria & virus protector.

Food doesn't stock itself, many staff don't use gloves/masks so can inadvertently pass virus un be knowing that they may have the virus also. Hell, I even spray my soles when I come. I also put my cloths straight into the wash. Yes I'm going overboard as stated in my paranoia.

Literally anyone can just brush again and accidentally rub something on your clothing, you have a itch and scratch accordingly. Thus leaving it on your hands and then you may just rub your/nose/mouth/eyes and outside chance you could pick something up.

Apparantly one of the worse places for picking virus up is shopping and petrol stations. So even if you don't go still possible a outsider can bring it to your doorstep. It's that bad for me I don't even open mail up without gloves then still wash my hands.

Like I've said, if there's 0.1 chance less  of me picking virus up through my paranoia them I've atleast tried my best.

Hope this helps.m

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1592: May 23, 2020 08:53:08 pm
      Could be anything from coins picked up when going the shop, touching handles etc. The virus can stay on metals etc for up to three days if not continually cleaned.

He is the classic case of an asymptomatic carrier and without the testing, would never have known he had it.

Ah but Keith said you can catch it even in isolation at home 24hrs a day, BTW there is no reason to touch coins or door handles, they should wear gloves and/or use hand sanitiser. Honestly if you are careful at the moment then it's very hard to catch this.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1593: May 23, 2020 08:58:47 pm
      Huyton Red just named one or two of many ways heimdall. Basically saying even if you do everything right can still catch it.

Let me explain how life as been for me two weeks before lockdown. First of all I'm in the 20% bracket  whereas I'm more vunrable than others to possible catching the virus due to my health issues, not going into my health side as isn't warranted.

To some people (( definitely me )) I'm more paranoid than most so extra careful, many will say over extreme but can't be helped. It's my choice and if it means there's 0.1 less chance of me getting the virus then it's worth.

My two children were doing my shopping until last week whereas I've now ventured out. However, when they bring my shopping they don't come into the house as you can even walk in after picking something off your shoes, highly unlikely but still possible. They leave shopping at the door, I use gloves in case any germs on bags or even  my shopping goods till I wash/clean as many items as possible in a bacteria & virus protector.

Food doesn't stock itself, many staff don't use gloves/masks so can inadvertently pass virus un be knowing that they may have the virus also. Hell, I even spray my soles when I come. I also put my cloths straight into the wash. Yes I'm going overboard as stated in my paranoia.

Literally anyone can just brush again and accidentally rub something on your clothing, you have a itch and scratch accordingly. Thus leaving it on your hands and then you may just rub your/nose/mouth/eyes and outside chance you could pick something up.

Apparantly one of the worse places for picking virus up is shopping and petrol stations. So even if you don't go still possible a outsider can bring it to your doorstep. It's that bad for me I don't even open mail up without gloves then still wash my hands.

Like I've said, if there's 0.1 chance less  of me picking virus up through my paranoia them I've atleast tried my best.

Hope this helps.m

It explains your paranoia not how someone in isolation at home can catch it, by the way it's a bit of a myth that it survives for long on surfaces, so you can chill out a bit about that.

Anyway stay safe Keith.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1594: May 24, 2020 05:24:58 am
      I live in New Jersey and I have $2500 warrant for my arrest.  I’ve called multiple police departments and the warrant is for a failure to appear for a traffic violation.

The officer said “So you want to get this cleared up?”

I said “yes sir I do”

He asked why I failed to appear?”

I said “I was at work”

He said “John they will not even take you right now.”

Dude, I arrested a violent felon on a domestic and charged him with abduction, domestic assualt, and malicious wounding. He got a bond because they said the jail wouldn't take him.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1595: May 24, 2020 06:20:44 am
      The CDC here now seems somewhat to be backing off of the bit about getting it from surfaces. From NPR:

"COVID-19 spreads mainly through close contact from person to person," Haynes said. "While it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or possibly their eyes, this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

"Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 to persons from surfaces contaminated with the virus has not been documented," the agency says on its page about disinfecting surfaces. But it adds, "Current evidence suggests that SARS-CoV-2 may remain viable for hours to days on surfaces made from a variety of materials."

Not to suggest going out to lick the nearest public counter top. My main takeaway from this another recent stories is that even the scientists are not entirely sure about the details beyond that it's very contagious and very deadly. There's little-to-no immunity and there's no vaccine.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1596: May 24, 2020 09:19:29 am
      The CDC here now seems somewhat to be backing off of the bit about getting it from surfaces. From NPR:

"COVID-19 spreads mainly through close contact from person to person," Haynes said. "While it may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or possibly their eyes, this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

100% agree with you Robby hense the 0.1 factor  ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1597: May 24, 2020 10:38:37 am
      2 positives in the latest round of testing (around 1000 tests done).
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1598: May 24, 2020 11:08:59 am
      2 positives in the latest round of testing (around 1000 tests done).

So they isolate those players and keep a closer eye on the players/coaches he trained with, no problem.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #1599: May 24, 2020 11:18:24 am
      You'll all be shocked to know that a Bournemouth player had tested positive 😲
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1600: May 24, 2020 11:21:00 am
      So they isolate those players and keep a closer eye on the players/coaches he trained with, no problem.

Yeah, thankfully these numbers are really low so have little effect other than what you've mentioned.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #1601: May 24, 2020 01:00:18 pm
      Signs looking good so far just think there will be some skullduggery before it gets the go ahead
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1602: May 24, 2020 04:46:49 pm

You make it sound easy heimdall  :D My heart wants football to return mid June but my head keeps saying it can't. As already stated on this thread football can't start till social distance rules taken off.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1603: May 24, 2020 06:18:24 pm
      You make it sound easy heimdall  :D My heart wants football to return mid June but my head keeps saying it can't. As already stated on this thread football can't start till social distance rules taken off.

and yet it has successfully restarted in Germany despite some of their players testing positive and them still having social distancing in place.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1604: May 24, 2020 06:35:52 pm
      I wouldn't worry about it not coming back, I've checked my bill for Sky next month and they've already put the charge back on for sky sports.

What happened to all that talk about free football & refunding subscriptions.. cu*ts..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1605: May 24, 2020 07:26:49 pm
      They haven't charged for the last couple of months like but it's sky, they were always going to bang it back up at the earliest opportunity.

You would think they would throw in the last 10 games as a gesture of goodwill..🙄
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #1606: May 24, 2020 07:55:46 pm
      You would think they would throw in the last 10 games as a gesture of goodwill..🙄

Not a jot, and the're hoping the next game Liverpool lose, so they can get more supporters onboard to subscribe. Its a win win for them both ways
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1607: May 24, 2020 08:02:02 pm
      and yet it has successfully restarted in Germany despite some of their players testing positive and them still having social distancing in place.

Although Schalke will be regretting the restart! ;D
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #1608: May 24, 2020 08:20:09 pm
      I wouldn't worry about it not coming back, I've checked my bill for Sky next month and they've already put the charge back on for sky sports.

Must be for all that live e sport they are showing, I mean wtf wants to watch people play games. I will be checking mine now.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1609: May 24, 2020 08:22:12 pm
      Must be for all that live e sport they are showing, I mean wtf wants to watch people play games. I will be checking mine now.

There's people paying for that sort of thing on Twitch! ;D

Quick Reply