Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

Read 134 times
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy, Longy-Shops, HScRed1, adammac and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 781 posts | 131 
      Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR
      Today at 07:41:52 pm
      Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c4n1ndlknk1o

I want it gone as it's ruining football....
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 781 posts | 131 
      Re: Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR
      Reply #1: Today at 07:44:55 pm
      Jürgen Klopp spoke about an incident involving a Rodri handball against Everton in 2022 that wasn’t given.....

“You pick yourself up and go again after not winning the league from a goal from Vinnie Kompany or a not given handball from Rodri. It was a crazy situation that handball,” Klopp said.....

“I don’t know where we played, but we were on the bus already and the game was on the tele.

“We watched it and the whole bus shouted ‘Handball! Wait, he’s not getting it?” You can’t change it, but not getting there and then having three weeks to prepare for a Champions League final, these few years were mad,” Klopp said.

It’s been a couple of years now, but it’s hard to understate just how poor a decision this was.

Even Dermot Gallagher agreed at the time that Rodri’s handball should’ve been given.

“It is a penalty, no doubt. I think the VAR inspected it for too long. Paul Tierney is looking through players, he can’t see the incident and Rodri is covering him. I think this should have been a VAR decision,” Gallagher said.

Of course, if a penalty was given, there’s no guarantee that it would’ve been converted, but if Everton did manage to draw that game, the tide of the title race may have been turned in Liverpool’s favour.....

This decision clearly still plays on Klopp’s mind at least a little bit.....
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,039 posts | 201 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #2: Today at 07:50:45 pm
      I think most people if not everyone by now is sick and tired of it. 5 seasons on in the Prem and it's only made it worst. The refs or VAR - one has to go, we know we can't vote to get rid of refs so by default the other has to happen.

Too many instances where he's been sent to the monitor for a non event and too many instances where he should've been sent to the monitor for a "clear and obvious" error.

Turning point was when Mac got sent off v Bournemouth.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,278 posts | 799 
      Reply #3: Today at 07:50:53 pm
      It's not the VAR that's the problem it's the officials doing it.

I'd say scrap it, they're sh*te either way in this country. At least we'd be back to the days of being able to celebrate a goal without having to wait forever.

And before that tosser across the water comes back with his argument of there's too much money in the game for wrong decisions to be wrong. They get them wrong with VAR every game.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 781 posts | 131 
      Reply #4: Today at 07:54:31 pm

I'd say scrap it, they're sh*te either way in this country. At least we'd be back to the days of being able to celebrate a goal without having to wait forever.

And before that tosser across the water comes back with his argument of there's too much money in the game for wrong decisions to be wrong. They get them wrong with VAR every game.
      They get them MORE wrong with VAR every game....
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,278 posts | 930 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: Today at 08:10:08 pm
      Nothing wrong with VAR it’s the officials who are crap so it has been show it makes no difference with or without, so may as well scrap it and let the game flow. Bent bas**rds
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,408 posts | 797 
      Reply #6: Today at 08:10:28 pm
      Jürgen Klopp spoke about an incident involving a Rodri handball against Everton in 2022 that wasn’t given.....

“You pick yourself up and go again after not winning the league from a goal from Vinnie Kompany or a not given handball from Rodri. It was a crazy situation that handball,” Klopp said.....

“I don’t know where we played, but we were on the bus already and the game was on the tele.

“We watched it and the whole bus shouted ‘Handball! Wait, he’s not getting it?” You can’t change it, but not getting there and then having three weeks to prepare for a Champions League final, these few years were mad,” Klopp said.

It’s been a couple of years now, but it’s hard to understate just how poor a decision this was.

Even Dermot Gallagher agreed at the time that Rodri’s handball should’ve been given.

“It is a penalty, no doubt. I think the VAR inspected it for too long. Paul Tierney is looking through players, he can’t see the incident and Rodri is covering him. I think this should have been a VAR decision,” Gallagher said.

Of course, if a penalty was given, there’s no guarantee that it would’ve been converted, but if Everton did manage to draw that game, the tide of the title race may have been turned in Liverpool’s favour.....

This decision clearly still plays on Klopp’s mind at least a little bit.....
      Still plays on my mind....I posted about 5 posts on here about it at the time...There is no doubt that decision cost us the title.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,600 posts | 1505 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #7: Today at 09:17:53 pm
      https://x.com/LukeEdwardsTele/status/1790834833595232366

And this is why it needs scrapping... another day another decision. 
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,616 posts | 1109 
      Reply #8: Today at 09:41:34 pm
      Get rid of VAR. Embarrassing.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,218 posts | 4413 
      Reply #9: Today at 10:39:17 pm
      Of course VAR should be scrapped but with human nature City will win the league every year.

Brown envelopes carry a lot of sway.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6967 
      Reply #10: Today at 11:20:38 pm

Agree.  Seems to work well in European games.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,045 posts | 537 
      Reply #11: Today at 11:26:38 pm
      VAR has been sh*t but scrapping it may give officials even more leeway to shaft us. Least bad option might be to have automated AI VAR and just use it for offsides and nothing else.

We may just have to put up with the biased or corrupt officiating. VAR may make it slightly more difficult for them but it sure as hell didnt stop them. And it made it even harder to stomach their more ridiculous "mistakes".

Scrapping PGMOL and massively expanding the ref pool (and randomising the selection of officials for each match) would be a  help.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,039 posts | 201 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #12: Today at 11:26:51 pm
      For those saying “it’s not VAR, it’s the people behind it”, isn’t VAR the package? The assistant referee and the technology being used? They go hand in hand, no? So when the guys on the other side of the argument say “get rid of VAR it’s useless”, they mean the entire network.

Quick Reply