Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 70420 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #483: Sep 04, 2020 01:03:03 pm
      This sounds more and more like Werner saga. Listened to bloodred podcast last night, and according to blid football journalist.
      Klopp was keen on Werner, and now wants thaigo.
      The only reason we didnt get Werner is because we didnt want to spend.

This is not a dig at fsg but klopp has proved himself, so if he wants a player then spend the money.
      IF its true (notice the if with capital letters) then the owners have let down the boss. Just my opinion.

I think the only reason we didn't get Werner is because we didn't want him.

Nobody from the club ever said otherwise and that is also true re Thiago. Not saying we won't move for him, but I've seen no actual sourcing that we are trying to.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #484: Sep 04, 2020 01:11:49 pm

Nobody from the club ever said otherwise and that is also true re Thiago. Not saying we won't move for him, but I've seen no actual sourcing that we are trying to.

Is it not just transfer etiquette to not publicly declare interest in players though? Can't recall the last time that somebody high up from the within the club came out and said that we were interested in a high-profile target. Usually just the rule of thumb that you keep your lips sealed until the deal is done, or at least very close to being done
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,384 posts | 1542 
      Reply #485: Sep 04, 2020 01:23:02 pm
      If it is true that Wijnaldum is leaving and we then have funds available for a major transfer, wouldn't it be more like FSG to bring someone in a few years younger? Here are the ages of the main players Jürgen brought in, when he brought them in:

Alisson: 26
      Virgil: 26
      Robbo: 23
      Fabinho: 25
      Wijnaldum: 25
      Naby: 24 (arrived)
      Sadio: 24
      Mo: 25
      Minamino: 25
      Shaqiri 27

brought in by FSG before Klopp
      Bobby: 24
      Hendo: 21

I know there's been a nonstop narrative about Thiago, but it still seems to me that we would be more likely to go for a younger player.

Yeah, but footballers are finicky characters, a bit like women. And as we know, sometimes it pays dividends to go with experience over age 😘
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,470 posts | 2857 
      Reply #486: Sep 04, 2020 01:23:26 pm

We didn’t get Werner because we didn’t pay up and Chelsea did. Whether he’s worth that or not is of course a different question but we were clearly interested given that the journos close to the club were writing articles about how he’d fit in etc.

I’m sure people will disagree but I think it’s pretty obvious we’re interested in Thiago as well. Most well placed international sources (ones we can’t control) seem to be reporting it. Again he’s not ours yet because we won’t pay up and again whether he’s worth that 30m when he’s got a year left is a different debate.

For what’s it’s worth I think both are/were worth the outlay given their obvious quality.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #487: Sep 04, 2020 01:38:10 pm
      We didn’t get Werner because we didn’t pay up and Chelsea did. Whether he’s worth that or not is of course a different question but we were clearly interested given that the journos close to the club were writing articles about how he’d fit in etc.

I’m sure people will disagree but I think it’s pretty obvious we’re interested in Thiago as well. Most well placed international sources (ones we can’t control) seem to be reporting it. Again he’s not ours yet because we won’t pay up and again whether he’s worth that 30m when he’s got a year left is a different debate.

For what’s it’s worth I think both are/were worth the outlay given their obvious quality.

I appreciate the art of haggling as much as the next man but there comes a point where you just need to cough up a few extra million and get the F***ing deal then, if Thiago ends up at City or Utd I will be F***ing livid!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,417 posts | 6418 
      Reply #488: Sep 04, 2020 01:45:36 pm

No one from the club is going to come out and say "Yes we were interested but we didn't have the money". Although Jürgen's statements about transfers in general at that time basically implied that very thing if I remember correctly.

I could be %1000 wrong, but my opinion is that Jürgen wanted Werner but was told there was no money so he covered the club like he always does and resigned himself to move forward with what he had. He won't rock the boat or place blame and ultimately he sees it as his job to build a winning squad with whatever he's got.

And I could be %1000 wrong on this, but I think Jürgen really likes the idea of adding Thiago, especially considering all signs point to Gini leaving. But the only way we will buy Thiago is if we sell Gini first. It is what it is, I just hope we don't piss around the entire window, lose Gini at the end and then not have anyone come in to replace him. But that sure would be the (Brendan Rodgers) LFC way of doing things.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #489: Sep 04, 2020 01:52:35 pm

What is broken that people think needs fixing so badly?

I think a worry for some, myself included, is how much performances, and on some occasions results, have deteriorated since lock down, and before in the case of the Atletico game.

The Arsenal game highlighted how teams are going to shut us down, or at least try to, so it is only natural for people to want an alternative to try and counter what we are likely to face in games this season.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Reply #490: Sep 04, 2020 04:06:05 pm

The thing is that the club Will never say that they want a player, for reason that are obvious.

Werner was a german player in germany, the reports in germany were saying that we were after him. The german media would have known alot more on whats happening then the english media.
      Because the selling club would have more to gain to involve the media then the buyer.

Now dedicated football journalist for the biggest german newspaper is saying that we wanted Werner, klopp wanted Werner but the fee was too high. I beileve him.

Now im not using this as a stick to beat the owners, they have done alot of things right and i think they are well suited to be Liverpool owners BUT they should back the guy Who is considered to be the best coach in the world. They can be little too bit cautious with the money, which is a good thing and a bad. In this case i consider it bad.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8642 
      Reply #491: Sep 04, 2020 05:55:40 pm
      I think a worry for some, myself included, is how much performances, and on some occasions results, have deteriorated since lock down, and before in the case of the Atletico game.

I keep saying it and I will keep on saying, think how much we'd put in from the start of the season, once we got the title done there was always going to be a drop off in performances due to how knackered the players looked.

Being that relentless deffo takes it's toll.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #492: Sep 04, 2020 06:19:11 pm
      I keep saying it and I will keep on saying, think how much we'd put in from the start of the season, once we got the title done there was always going to be a drop off in performances due to how knackered the players looked.

Being that relentless deffo takes it's toll.

To an extent I agree with this, up to the lockdown period anyway. But when the players speak, they say how refreshing it was to have the break to recover and be with their families.
      Kopite78
      Reply #493: Sep 04, 2020 06:26:48 pm
      To an extent I agree with this, up to the lockdown period anyway. But when the players speak, they say how refreshing it was to have the break to recover and be with their families.

Of course they do because for them it must be as they never have that but in football terms, mentality terms it just have bee difficult to try to get to the levels they did for 6 months to pretty much secure the title before lockdown

I back these lads to be on it again when everyone starts out again on 0
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #494: Sep 04, 2020 07:24:57 pm
      No one from the club is going to come out and say "Yes we were interested but we didn't have the money". Although Jürgen's statements about transfers in general at that time basically implied that very thing if I remember correctly.

I could be %1000 wrong, but my opinion is that Jürgen wanted Werner but was told there was no money so he covered the club like he always does and resigned himself to move forward with what he had. He won't rock the boat or place blame and ultimately he sees it as his job to build a winning squad with whatever he's got.

And I could be %1000 wrong on this, but I think Jürgen really likes the idea of adding Thiago, especially considering all signs point to Gini leaving. But the only way we will buy Thiago is if we sell Gini first. It is what it is, I just hope we don't piss around the entire window, lose Gini at the end and then not have anyone come in to replace him. But that sure would be the (Brendan Rodgers) LFC way of doing things.

Thing is, this narrative that Klopp wanted Werner, or Thiago, or whomever, but the owners wouldn't pony up the cash, make it seem like Jürgen is making his list and making contact with targets and ONLY THEN going to the owners like a teenager going to his dad asking for money. I find it hard to believe their communication and relationship isnt much better.than that . He would have known at the beginning what was available. it may be that Werner was a target before CoVid, but it's not like if something had changed that Jürgen wouldn't already know.

But agents need transfers to make a living and journos need eyeballs to keep a job (and with some they may have arrangements with agents) and so you get these sagas with daily "updates" about Liverpool and then BAM, the player signs with someone else. Cue supporter outrage.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #495: Sep 04, 2020 09:24:48 pm
      Thing is, this narrative that Klopp wanted Werner, or Thiago, or whomever, but the owners wouldn't pony up the cash, make it seem like Jürgen is making his list and making contact with targets and ONLY THEN going to the owners like a teenager going to his dad asking for money. I find it hard to believe their communication and relationship isnt much better.than that . He would have known at the beginning what was available. it may be that Werner was a target before CoVid, but it's not like if something had changed that Jürgen wouldn't already know.

But agents need transfers to make a living and journos need eyeballs to keep a job (and with some they may have arrangements with agents) and so you get these sagas with daily "updates" about Liverpool and then BAM, the player signs with someone else. Cue supporter outrage.

The outlay for Werner in fee and wages will cost Chelsea 200m at the end of Werners initial deal. We were never going to match that and that’s why he is not here. Spin it whichever way you want we weren’t going to match the 280k a week.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,036 posts | 2692 
      Reply #496: Sep 04, 2020 10:19:59 pm
      The outlay for Werner in fee and wages will cost Chelsea 200m at the end of Werners initial deal. We were never going to match that and that’s why he is not here. Spin it whichever way you want we weren’t going to match the 280k a week.

If we were never going to pay the asking price than we never wanted him.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,384 posts | 1542 
      Reply #497: Sep 04, 2020 10:49:57 pm
      Sorry I don’t have a link so take this with a pinch of salt if you wish, but apparently Sky Sports News, for what they’re worth, are reporting that Thiago has stated to Liverpool and Utd that he is happy where he is, and is not planning to move anywhere 😳
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #498: Sep 04, 2020 10:57:53 pm
      Sorry I don’t have a link so take this with a pinch of salt if you wish, but apparently Sky Sports News, for what they’re worth, are reporting that Thiago has stated to Liverpool and Utd that he is happy where he is, and is not planning to move anywhere 😳

And yet other reports are stating he has said his goodbyes.
      It may be he is just gonna sit tight and sign a pre contract agreement in January so he can maximise his final pay day
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #499: Sep 05, 2020 12:45:37 am
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #500: Sep 05, 2020 12:58:47 am
      He ain’t Fukn coming us poor sods are just wasting our time.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #501: Sep 05, 2020 08:38:42 am
      He ain’t Fukn coming us poor sods are just wasting our time.

Sadly I think you are right, the club must be on the brink of bankruptcy for us to be investing so little in the squad, at least we've had a great couple of years and hopefully someone with more ambition and deeper pockets can buy us or invest in us soon.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #502: Sep 05, 2020 09:12:32 am
      Sadly I think you are right, the club must be on the brink of bankruptcy for us to be investing so little in the squad, at least we've had a great couple of years and hopefully someone with more ambition and deeper pockets can buy us or invest in us soon.

Dire times when Jürgen leaves it’s all down to him.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,209 posts | 3478 
      Reply #503: Sep 05, 2020 09:29:04 am

Are you still crying like a little girl all because the club don’t want to buy Thiago ?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #504: Sep 05, 2020 10:58:28 am
      Are you still crying like a little girl all because the club don’t want to buy Thiago ?

No but I am very very angry that the club is not investing any money on transfers, they don't even have £30m to sign a top top midfielder, it will cost us this season, I guarantee you.
      In all seriousness where the F**k has all the money we have earned gone, I thought we posted record profits earlier this year, this is the second summer with no spending, ok weird times but other clubs are doing some business, why aren't we?
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 103 
      Reply #505: Sep 05, 2020 11:05:20 am
      Dire times when Jürgen leaves it’s all down to him.

slip a punctuation mark or two in there, lad.

Quick Reply