Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool (5-4 on pens): In game and Post Match

Read 19388 times
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Re: Arsenal vs Liverpool - FA Community Shield - Saturday Aug. 29 - 1630 GMT
      Reply #23: Aug 28, 2020 02:54:05 pm
      I just want us to put in a good, solid no nonsense performance and pick up the win without any lapses in concentration or defensive errors which have crept in since the restart.
      I genuinely am worried that complacency has reared it's head, we need to get back to the full throttle 100 mph football we were playing before the Atlético game.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #24: Aug 28, 2020 03:24:37 pm
      It’s not on the wall but it’ll be nice to win it. There’s the Jordan shuffle involved. So give it a go. Wouldn’t hurt an awful lot to lose either.

But let’s not disrespect this competition. Winning this thing is some clubs’ highlight for the entire season after all. Like those across the park...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #25: Aug 28, 2020 04:24:38 pm
      If anyone at any level steps onto a football pitch and doesn’t want to win, they need to take up tennis or golf.
      100% our lads will want to win. Arse have strengthened while we haven’t done much, so will be a bit closer than last time out. As long as we start full on and maintain it we should still be to good for them !
      Goals in it for sure, 4:2 the red men.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #26: Aug 28, 2020 05:20:10 pm
      I want us to win this just like I do with any game we play, after all this game years ago was always a pre-season game against another top side when Bill and Bob were in charge, and if it was good enough for them it certainly is now, after all it set us up for the season ahead.

I'm really looking forward to it actually as I think the arse will be too, so we need to show them whose boss and set a good precendence, always nice to have the first trophy under our belts before the season kicks off fully. I'm going for a solid 2-0 win for the mighty reds.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #27: Aug 28, 2020 05:45:31 pm
      I forgot this game was this weekend, though I don't pay much attention to preseason but this game I found does have a different feel.

Interested to see if Klopp will start TAA who is coming off injury or give Williams another opportunity to impress.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Aug 28, 2020 05:53:58 pm
      Do I want us to win?
      Yes of course.

Am I really bothered about it in the same way as say an FA cup Final?
      No.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #29: Aug 28, 2020 06:32:38 pm
      Interested to see if Klopp will start TAA who is coming off injury or give Williams another opportunity to impress.
      He said today in his press conference that players who haven't been available in the other games will not be playing tomorrow.
      As much as I'd like Williams to be given a chance, I feel we need Milner on the pitch at RB to provide some real leadership in Henderson's absence.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Aug 28, 2020 09:55:19 pm
      He said today in his press conference that players who haven't been available in the other games will not be playing tomorrow.

Not quite because he said there’s a chance Trent could be playing.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #31: Aug 28, 2020 10:00:17 pm
      Nothing more than a pre-season game. Get minutes into the boys and get them closer to being ready to hit the ground running against Leeds in a couple of weeks time.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #32: Aug 29, 2020 12:33:15 am
      Wouldn’t be beating on the chests if we win this tomorrow and I wouldn’t lose a seconds sleep if we don’t, that said I want to see a performance and a win, 3-1 to the champions
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #33: Aug 29, 2020 10:01:27 am
      Get it won money of this I am not bothered it's only a friendly sh*te
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #34: Aug 29, 2020 10:34:55 am
      https://youtu.be/CpU5FhsZE48
      31 years ago, good memories, George Graham getting hit on  the head by the ball etc

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #35: Aug 29, 2020 11:54:24 am
      Nothing more than a pre-season game. Get minutes into the boys and get them closer to being ready to hit the ground running against Leeds in a couple of weeks time.

It's a bit more than that like Jürgen said himself.

Only a bit more but a bit more none the less.

We'll miss Trent today IMO.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #36: Aug 29, 2020 01:22:13 pm
      I hope we win, not because I'm that bothered about lifting the Charity Shield, but because I can't be arsed scrolling through Twitter later tonight & seeing the same soft tw*ts crying & saying John Henry needs to go, Wijnaldum is sh*te and we need to spend £300M on new players all because Arsenal beat us on pens in a glorified friendly
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #37: Aug 29, 2020 01:24:47 pm
      Anyone think Brewster deserves a start? Think it could be a big sign of intent from Klopp and a big show of faith which could be repaid in full.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Aug 29, 2020 01:50:05 pm
      Anyone think Brewster deserves a start? Think it could be a big sign of intent from Klopp and a big show of faith which could be repaid in full.

He won't be starting. He has had a good preseason so far and I'm on record as hoping we keep him here, but Jürgen is consistent in saying he doesn't give out playing time "like sweets." We're going to play at minimum 47 competitive matches this season (counting this one). More likely we're into the 50s or even 60, so there should be plenty of opportunity for Rhian to get significant match time, including starts, over the course of that. Today however, our first choice front three are fit and so they will be starting.

Jürgen said after the last game he already knows about Rhian's goalscoring ability. It's what he does off the ball (I think mainly he means his work in the press) where Jürgen is looking for him to do better.

I do look for Rhian to come on at some point and would love to see him bag another goal as he makes his case for inclusion in this year's plans.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #39: Aug 29, 2020 02:10:08 pm
      Arsenal looked decent since the restart.  Beat us, Man City and Chelsea in the space of about 3 weeks.  We lost to Arsenal and City in a similar kind of timeframe. 

Not sure if we're firing on all cylinders yet but at some stage we will have to get back to how we looked from last August to February.  Be nice to start today, but if not then two weeks time will work well with me.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Aug 29, 2020 02:26:06 pm
      Arsenal looked decent since the restart.  Beat us, Man City and Chelsea in the space of about 3 weeks.  We lost to Arsenal and City in a similar kind of timeframe. 

Not sure if we're firing on all cylinders yet but at some stage we will have to get back to how we looked from last August to February.  Be nice to start today, but if not then two weeks time will work well with me.

Agree on two weeks. I feel the odds are against us today, to be honest.

Also, what a shame that supporters can't enjoy a nice summer day out at Wembley. I looked at the video from '89 FK10 posted and it reminded me how much football should be about the supporters. Hopefully this returns at some point this season.
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #41: Aug 29, 2020 02:48:03 pm
      Agree on two weeks. I feel the odds are against us today, to be honest.

Also, what a shame that supporters can't enjoy a nice summer day out at Wembley. I looked at the video from '89 FK10 posted and it reminded me how much football should be about the supporters. Hopefully this returns at some point this season.

Why are the odds against us ?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #42: Aug 29, 2020 03:42:35 pm

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #43: Aug 29, 2020 03:58:15 pm

Our preseason is about achieving superior conditioning and while we are still in the midst of it, we tend to play with heavy legs. Not saying we can't win but it will be a disadvantage.

I'm glad to see Milner starting as I felt he was a real difference-maker when he came on vs. Salzburg and I think it is good for him to be rewarded for it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #44: Aug 29, 2020 03:58:32 pm
      Arsenal with a similarly strong side.

Martinez, Bellerin, Luiz, Holding, Tierney, Maitland-Niles, Elneny, Xhaka, Saka, Aubameyang, Nketiah
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #45: Aug 29, 2020 04:04:15 pm
      Arsenal with a similarly strong side.

Martinez, Bellerin, Luiz, Holding, Tierney, Maitland-Niles, Elneny, Xhaka, Saka, Aubameyang, Nketiah

From a Gunner on Twitter: "Gabriel hasn’t arrived yet. Emi Martínez & David Luiz are apparently in quarantine. Ceballos is back in Spain. Lacazette, Pépé, Bellerín & Torreira haven’t featured in pre-season so far. "

EDIT: Obviously they were wrong about the keeper (and Luiz).

« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2020 04:15:33 pm by Robby The Z »

Quick Reply