Read 1502 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Three reds into Hall of Fame
      Oct 09, 2008 11:47:28 am
      From The Echo

Three Liverpool legends have been inducted into the European Hall of Fame at last night’s highly prestigious National Football Museum awards dinner in the city.

Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan and Bob Paisley have been selected in a 10-strong list of the greatest players and managers based on their achievements in European competitions.

The list is completed by George Best, Sir Bobby Charlton, Brian Clough, Sir Alex Ferguson, Sir Bobby Robson, John Charles and Sir Matt Busby.

A host of stars will arrive in the city for the event, including UEFA president Michel Platini, who will receive an all-time great European footballer award.

The ceremony will honour the achievements of the Reds trio who enjoyed such remarkable success.

Dalglish, who netted the winner in the 1978 final at Wembley against Bruges, won the European Cup three times during his glittering Anfield career.

The Scot has for years been widely acclaimed as the greatest player to ever pull on the club’s shirt – but insists he is indebted to his team-mates for the Reds’ European triumphs in 1978, 1981 and 1984.

“I’ll be receiving this honour as an individual but I didn’t win as an individual, I did that as part of a team,” he said.

“The organisers obviously want to give someone recognition for the success Liverpool had during that time and I’m fortunate to have been chosen.

“I’m grateful for that but I’m even more grateful for the people I played alongside who made it all possible.”

Dalglish is delighted the selection panel have handed Paisley and Keegan the honour.

Former Liverpool boss Paisley remains the only man in history to coach three European Cup winning sides.

As well as achieving the ultimate European accolade in 1977, 1978 and 1981, he led the Reds to glory in the 1976 UEFA Cup.

Dalglish was signed by Paisley to replace Keegan who left to join Hamburg in 1977 but only after helping Liverpool win their first European Cup with a 3-1 final win over Borussia Moenchengladbach in Rome.

Keegan went on to reach a final with Hamburg and was twice crowned European Footballer of the Year.

“Bob was the greatest of them all,” Dalglish said. He had great football knowledge and I owe Bob more than I owe anybody else in the game.

“But also don’t underestimate what Kevin Keegan achieved.

“He was instrumental in getting Liverpool’s first European Cup success in 1977 and was also very influential for Hamburg.

“In fact, I’m probably the least deserving of the three of us!”

Dalglish will attend the event at the BT Convention Centre and Paisley’s award will be accepted tonight by his son Graham.

Manchester United boss Ferguson will be there and Reds great John Barnes will read out a statement on behalf of Sir Bobby Robson who is seriously ill, but Keegan and Charlton won’t be attending.

The night will also mark the 30-year anniversary of Liverpool’s European Cup winning side of 1978. Dalglish will be joined by former team-mates including Phil Neal, Phil Thompson and David Fairclough.

In collaboration with the Echo, Reds and Blues fans have voted for their favourite European performer. Those awards will go to Steven Gerrard and Neville Southall.

The National Football Museum holds a Hall of Fame dinner every year but this special European themed event is the museum’s contribution to Liverpool’s Capital of Culture celebrations.

The legends honoured were chosen by an expert panel including Sir Tom Finney, Sir Trevor Brooking, Jimmy Greaves, Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Mark Lawrenson.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Š Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Three reds into Hall of Fame
      Reply #1: Oct 09, 2008 11:53:17 am
      Dalglish - humble as ever, what a legend.

Deserves all the praise that can be heaped upon him for all he achieved with the club.

Congratulations to our three reds for this achievement!

:kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Oct 09, 2008 01:15:49 pm
      What a treat, Fergie will be there! :D :D

Brilliant stuff, totally worthy to 3 of the greats this club has seen. Another special award for men who dominated football at the time.

YNWA
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3378 
      Reply #3: Oct 09, 2008 02:47:39 pm
      Well done to our three. They achieved great things at this club and on the European stage.

Quick Reply