Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

European Super League - Liverpool amongst 12 clubs to join

Read 34222 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,504 posts | 4845 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament
      Reply #92: Apr 18, 2021 08:01:56 pm

The guy at Madrid is apparently the king

But it’s going to end up being the standard posturing to ensure that UEFA understand who really does hold all the cards

Yeah I'm not too clued up on it, to be honest, mate.

This is what I was getting that from - from October, when the news first broke.

Simon Hughes does not chat sh*t, by the way. At all.

Is it time for John W Henry to once again emerge from the shadows?

By Simon Hughes Oct 12, 2020 94 

August 2017 was a busy month for John W Henry. Rarely does he get involved in the front-desk business of the football club he owns but Philippe Coutinho was demanding to leave Liverpool and he did not want that to happen, even if manager JĂźrgen Klopp was comfortable with it.

Four summers earlier, Henry had intervened when Luis Suarez tried to force an exit by stamping his feet, only for Henry to realise he had bigger shoes and this allowed him to stamp a little harder. Though Suarez only stayed for another season and Coutinho stuck around for five months or so, on both occasions Henry was able to reduce criticism that stemmed from a lack of success on the pitch and redirect the mood on Merseyside by his words as well as his actions.

While the situation with Coutinho bubbled away across the Atlantic, at his home in the Boston suburb of Brookline, Henry was entertaining guests along with Tom Werner, the Liverpool chairman who’d flown in from Los Angeles. The pair were also at work, canvassing opinions. Sitting in front of them at the dining table was Rick Parry. Earlier that day, they had met at the offices of the Boston Globe, which Henry was very proud of owning.

Parry was there because there had been an idea rattling about in the back of Henry’s mind almost from the moment he became interested in Liverpool. Yet he realised it wasn’t something he could act upon by all by himself or even with the support of Joel Glazer, whose family control Manchester United.

Henry called Parry and invited him to Boston for a second time. Their first meeting had been five or six years earlier, back when Henry was in the process of educating himself about the new sporting pond in which he was swimming. He had not long bought Liverpool when he watched a documentary about the formation of the Premier League, noticing how heavily Parry had been involved.

In the summer of 1992, following months of disagreement, Parry had helped chairmen reach a consensus when he had the sense to formalise the agreement on a single piece of Ernst & Young business paper before every person left the room. A simple eight-point constitution became the basis of the organisation’s startling financial success. Given that he’d subsequently acted as Liverpool’s chief executive for the best part of a decade, leaving before Fenway Sports Group’s takeover at Anfield, it was a logical move by Henry to identify Parry as a person to lean on for guidance.

Henry had taken a back seat at Liverpool as early as 2013, having switched his focus to the running of the Globe, after which point he’d ceded the day-to-day affairs to his business partner and Brookline neighbour Mike Gordon. But there were still things about the club he owned and the game’s governance, particularly, that sent his thoughts racing. By 2017, it was frustrating him that Huddersfield Town had as much say when it came to Premier League matters as Liverpool and Manchester United even though the Yorkshire club had only just joined the division for the first time and had done little, if anything at all, to build the competition’s reputation.

“Project Big Picture” did not have a name but it was already an idea in document form, albeit one that needed further consideration and development. Crucially, though, it would require a swell of backing from leading figures outside Henry’s own club if it were to ever have a chance of it being implemented.

The last time Henry went out looking for backing on a significant issue, any progress was undermined by subsequent comments made by someone else representing his own club. In 2011, Henry had thought about the chances of changing the rules so that Premier League clubs could broker their own TV deals abroad but he was nervous about discussing such a reform openly, particularly when he did not have a relationship with any of the non-American owners.

He was advised then by Parry and other figures with top-level experience of English football that the smaller clubs had traditionally listened to the bigger ones; that even if he should expect regular disagreements, it was better to have an open dialogue with competitors than a closed one.

A dinner with Bolton Wanderers’ Phil Gartside went surprisingly well but the line of communication died when Ian Ayre, Liverpool’s managing director, suggested a few weeks later that fans in Malaysia watching Premier League games on television were not bothered about the fortunes of Gartside’s club. Including Ayre, Liverpool have had six different figureheads attending Premier League meetings across the last 10 years and this cannot have helped the club establish its voice in a crowded room where the faces of those sitting on the same table have changed a lot as well.

Parry had left Boston in 2017 intrigued by some of Henry’s ideas and concluded that even if there would be a need for compromise should the proposals ever be made public, the plan was a reasonable starting point for any discussion relating to major changes at every level of professional football.

Correspondence between the pair, however, did not exactly accelerate over the months that followed. Henry has always been a distant sort of figure and those who have dealt with him share similar stories when asked to describe his approach to issues he cares about, initially with such zeal you might think the world is ending before a protracted silence that leaves you wondering why he bothered initiating contact in the first place.

It might improve Henry’s chances of succeeding on this occasion if — like with Suarez particularly — he stepped out from the shadows and articulated his vision because, well, it is his plan and he’s spent years working on it, so he must believe in it passionately.

Hiding from your own idea when that very plan could provoke some of the most profound changes English football has ever seen has understandably led many to conclude that it is just another move by a faceless businessman from far away whose only interest is wealth creation.

For the time being, the focus has fallen entirely on Parry because he is the only one speaking, but why wouldn’t he talk when he is in a position of responsibility and there is no alternative deal on the table? This one, after all, has the potential to secure the futures of so many endangered clubs under his watch at an extraordinary time.

His involvement should not be viewed as a surprise and nor should his enthusiasm for it to happen. In March, he had told BBC Radio Five Live that he was “not a fan of begging-bowl culture”, and stressed that he didn’t want clubs outside of the Premier League to be at the mercy of handouts forever. “I think it’s much better, in dialogue with the Premier League, to talk about sustainable futures and how we might be able to have a reset.”

Parry initially impressed the EFL board last summer during interviews because he promised to open doors to boardrooms at higher levels that had long been considered closed. Yet his reach is now being treated with some suspicion and that is partly because of the silence from other central figures.

Sources at Manchester United have directed attention towards Liverpool since Sunday, but Liverpool are pointing the questions back at Parry. It is ultimately Henry and Glazer’s story to own and it needs to be taken control of to give the conversation around it a sense of balance and direction. It would be a shock if Glazer chose to follow such a path but Henry should remember it has worked for him in the past.

The Athletic

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #93: Apr 18, 2021 08:03:49 pm
      Apparently any team talking part will be blackballed from their domestic leagues. Its not going to happen.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #94: Apr 18, 2021 08:04:21 pm
      Instead of joining a super league we should look at breaking away into a proper football league:
      Where footballers wages are capped. Tickets don’t price out fans. Tv packages are not so overpriced. And transfer fees are not obscene.

The league cup and FA cup have died a death because the money isn’t there for the big clubs to bother about.
      The champions league is designed to allow the richest clubs to keep qualifying year in year out.

Owners only care about money. Fans only care about winning.

What id like to see is where a league starts where clubs are owned by fans. Where players play for pride and not just sit out there contract because they can’t get more elsewhere. Where families can go without having to pay a fortune. Where winning trophies is more important than finishing 4th.
      And where ‘being part of the community’ is more than just a PR social media stunt.

The game died long ago.

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,615 posts | 1513 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #95: Apr 18, 2021 08:08:39 pm
      Disgusted with the club for even talking about it.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,727 posts | 3944 
      Reply #96: Apr 18, 2021 08:12:43 pm
      Instead of joining a super league we should look at breaking away into a proper football league:
      Where footballers wages are capped. Tickets don’t price out fans. Tv packages are not so overpriced. And transfer fees are not obscene.

The league cup and FA cup have died a death because the money isn’t there for the big clubs to bother about.
      The champions league is designed to allow the richest clubs to keep qualifying year in year out.

Owners only care about money. Fans only care about winning.

What id like to see is where a league starts where clubs are owned by fans. Where players play for pride and not just sit out there contract because they can’t get more elsewhere. Where families can go without having to pay a fortune. Where winning trophies is more important than finishing 4th.
      And where ‘being part of the community’ is more than just a PR social media stunt.

The game died long ago.

Why cap player wages? I don’t understand why people moan about money - end of the day the lads are exceptionally talented and deserve to be be paid handsomely considering they’re providing entertainment for people around the world.

I don’t see them people moaning about movie star salaries, etc.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,471 posts | 2859 
      Reply #97: Apr 18, 2021 08:13:23 pm
      Apparently any team talking part will be blackballed from their domestic leagues. Its not going to happen.

What won't happen? The Super League or teams being kicked out of their domestic leagues?

The Premier League simply won't be able to survive without the big six so some sort of compromise would have to be reached. If it's a choice between Burnley v Norwich on a Saturday night or Barcelona v Liverpool it's a no-brainer really.

I'm just hoping this is all a bit of posturing from the big clubs to show UEFA who's really in charge ahead of these proposed changes to the Champions League.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,212 posts | 3483 
      Reply #98: Apr 18, 2021 08:14:13 pm
      Disgusted with the club for even talking about it.

Why ?

We got left Behind when the premier league started up and it took a long time for the club to catch up - its not surprising that the club would want to be involved from the start
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,504 posts | 4845 
      Reply #99: Apr 18, 2021 08:16:46 pm
      Wonder if we could shoehorn Ajax in?

You know? For the aways...... :f_whistle:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,337 posts | 2864 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #100: Apr 18, 2021 08:17:15 pm
      Guess well find out more in an hour or so
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #101: Apr 18, 2021 08:20:37 pm
      Why cap player wages? I don’t understand why people moan about money - end of the day the lads are exceptionally talented and deserve to be be paid handsomely considering they’re providing entertainment for people around the world.

I’m all for capping wages. In every industry. Sport. Acting. Musicians.
      But only if supporters benefit from it with cheaper tickets.
      Tv companies have a lot to answer for.
      Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against someone demanding a massive payout if a company is using their image/talents to make money themselves. Tyson fury will get millions for each fight but the tv companies will make more. I would want a share.
      But that’s my point. The super league break away isn’t a recipe for  greed. Football is already greedy. It cares not about the fans. It just wants their money.
      But a league where wages are capped, and some of the profits have to go to youth academies and community projects is a lot more appealing to me. Especially if tickets and tv subscriptions go down.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,504 posts | 4845 
      Reply #102: Apr 18, 2021 08:23:04 pm
      Guess well find out more in an hour or so

What's happening in an hour?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,323 posts | 4958 
      Reply #103: Apr 18, 2021 08:24:39 pm

A salary cap can potentially bring a more competitive league and lessen the power of oil rich clubs.

I'm not sure if that's the point the poster was making but It is a way of trying to bring the teams closet together and increase competition.
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2021 08:33:49 pm by srslfc »
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #104: Apr 18, 2021 08:28:14 pm
      A salary cap can potentially bring a more competitive league and lessen the power of oil rich clubs.

I'm not if that's the point the poster was making but It is a way of trying to bring the teams closet together and increase competition.

That would be a start.
      A competitive league. How refreshing that would be.
      As it stands you have clubs like Manchester City having a second strong team that cost more than most first teams in the league. No wonder they can go and give the domestic cups a real go.

The break away league could be good in the sense it might ring changes to the current table.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #105: Apr 18, 2021 08:29:51 pm
      What won't happen? The Super League or teams being kicked out of their domestic leagues?

The Premier League simply won't be able to survive without the big six so some sort of compromise would have to be reached. If it's a choice between Burnley v Norwich on a Saturday night or Barcelona v Liverpool it's a no-brainer really.

I'm just hoping this is all a bit of posturing from the big clubs to show UEFA who's really in charge ahead of these proposed changes to the Champions League.

If fans of these clubs had any sense they wouldn't pay to watch it.
      The Premier league have played their part in ruining football, now this Super league will ruin it further.
      Its bad enough having little free to air football to watch, this will penalise those that can't afford the extra subscription.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,337 posts | 2864 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #106: Apr 18, 2021 08:31:09 pm

Suppose to be an announcement on it
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,504 posts | 4845 
      Reply #107: Apr 18, 2021 08:31:15 pm
      If fans of these clubs had any sense they wouldn't pay to watch it.
      The Premier league have played their part in ruining football, now this Super league will ruin it further.
      Its bad enough having little free to air football to watch, this will penalise those that can't afford the extra subscription.

Yeah football is out of reach for so many as it is. Its only going to get worse
      rossyred

• 9,312 posts | 1671 
      Reply #108: Apr 18, 2021 08:33:43 pm
      Funny this comes just prior to the CL new format announced tomorrow load of bollocks
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,323 posts | 4958 
      Reply #109: Apr 18, 2021 08:35:13 pm
      The problem is there are probably enough 'fans' who will buy into this nonsense and clubs know this all too well.

As if I'm not already losing interest in football they then have to throw this into the mix.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,504 posts | 4845 
      Reply #110: Apr 18, 2021 08:35:50 pm
      Ooof!

UEFA Statement

Statement by UEFA, the English Football Association, the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), LaLiga, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A

Sunday 18 April 2021

ŠUEFA.com

UEFA, the English Football Association and the Premier League, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) and LaLiga, and the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) and Lega Serie A have learned that a few English, Spanish and Italian clubs may be planning to announce their creation of a closed, so-called Super League.

If this were to happen, we wish to reiterate that we – UEFA, the English FA, RFEF, FIGC, the Premier League, LaLiga, Lega Serie A, but also FIFA and all our member associations – will remain united in our efforts to stop this cynical project, a project that is founded on the self-interest of a few clubs at a time when society needs solidarity more than ever.

We will consider all measures available to us, at all levels, both judicial and sporting in order to prevent this happening. Football is based on open competitions and sporting merit; it cannot be any other way.

As previously announced by FIFA and the six Confederations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

We thank those clubs in other countries, especially the French and German clubs, who have refused to sign up to this. We call on all lovers of football, supporters and politicians, to join us in fighting against such a project if it were to be announced. This persistent self-interest of a few has been going on for too long. Enough is enough.

Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #111: Apr 18, 2021 08:39:29 pm
      Nice speech from Neville but he confuses Liverpool the club with club owners. This is never happening, everyone's too angry. Massive PR disaster.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #112: Apr 18, 2021 08:42:22 pm
      Why ?

We got left Behind when the premier league started up and it took a long time for the club to catch up - its not surprising that the club would want to be involved from the start

You want to throw away 19 Leagues and 6 European Cups so hedge fund managing cu*ts can make more money? Maybe Liverpool isn't the club for you.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,504 posts | 4845 
      Reply #113: Apr 18, 2021 08:43:59 pm
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #114: Apr 18, 2021 08:48:07 pm
      “We, UEFA, who made nearly 4 billion dollars last year, and who demand billions from television companies, stand side by side with the multi billionaire premier league, who themselves demand super inflated prices from tv companies and fans, in showing condemnation for this greed which the super league break away will encourage. Supporters must unite in stopping this betrayal for our sport. An announcement will be made in an hour which will be exclusive to our UEFA tv reality show hosted by Kanye West. Join now for just £39.99 a month.”

Quick Reply