Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Central Defence

Read 7766 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Central Defence
      Reply #46: Oct 31, 2020 09:56:54 am
      In terms pf a back 3 Id not hesitate to play Robbo onthe left of a 3 when Tsmiskas is ready, or vice versa, not sure if  Tsmiskas would be ready to play out of position yet
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #47: Oct 31, 2020 10:52:23 am
      That might be a good approach, to play 3 CB's, it would certainly take some of the pressure off Rhys, but who are the 3 CB's, would you play Rhys, Nat and Joe or chuck a midfielder into the mix, tricky. I'd go with the 3 CB's and have Joe as the leader of the pack.

I've literally put the three I think that you quoted mate. ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #48: Oct 31, 2020 11:11:51 am
      I've literally put the three I think that you quoted mate. ;D

Great minds eh ? :-)
      Kopite78
      Reply #49: Oct 31, 2020 03:27:26 pm
      I never understand this, that a footballer can not perform for 270 minutes per week. As an example of other sports I refer you to Tennis where in a 2 week tournament a player will play every other day normally for at least 90 minutes per match, often a lot more. I get that tennis is not a contact sport but it is every bit as physical and demanding on the body as football.

Of course they could, but it's how fit they're in comparison to their contemporaries
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #50: Nov 02, 2020 11:14:13 am
      What has happened to the young ranga Dutch kid Van der Berg? Always though he was nailed on to develop into the first team but looks like heā€™s behind Rhy Williams and Billy K.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #51: Nov 02, 2020 12:10:32 pm
      What has happened to the young ranga Dutch kid Van der Berg? Always though he was nailed on to develop into the first team but looks like heā€™s behind Rhy Williams and Billy K.

Has deffo fallen down the pecking order, personally I thought he was slow on the turn and a bit cumbersome whenever i saw him play.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #52: Nov 03, 2020 06:40:29 am

Doesn't seem to be training w the first team anymore, but has been playing regularly w the U23s. He came on at halftime in one of the preseason games, vs Stuttgart I think it was, and was noticeably dismal, giving the ball away etc. JĆ¼rgen took him off after 15 or 20 minutes.

Hopefully he can bounce back but as you say, he's fallen behind others.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,941 posts | 4997 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #53: Nov 03, 2020 01:15:00 pm
      Am I wrong to suggest that our CB woes are behind us, the three lads brought in to cover for Virgil have all performed admirably, and if Fabinhoā€™s hammy not torn would we have lost out on potentially a very good CB in Nat Phillips, having sold Lovren was his replacement already at the club and we donā€™t need to buy anyone?

Young Rhys I expect will play tonight, but against Shitty Nat will be Jurgens go to man, and how well did he do against the hammers ?

Life without Virgil might not be as worrisome as we first thought, with Nat not being registered for CL duty it has created a situation where both players will be rotated keeping them both fresh, and when Joel is back he can rotate with Gomez too, Fabinho coming back after the international break offers more options but we might not need to if the young lads keep performing as they have, and Iā€™d prefer to have Fab in the holding role,

When I think about it, weā€™re going to be fine, once those internationalā€™s are out the way, we should have Thiago back, Matip,  Fabinho, Naby too, the rest of the injured nearer to training, we are already top of the shop and could be 8 points ahead of Shitty come Sunday night, so after our wee soirĆ©e into the dark side suddenly everything looks a lot brighter, albeit without the big fella,

Altogether now....ā€Always look on the bright side of life, tdo tdo, tdo tdo tdoā€

Y  N  W  A

king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #54: Nov 03, 2020 04:39:33 pm
      City game is the real big test hopefully we have Matip for that game.   Then we have Leicester first game back after the break hopefully we will have options of Matip and Fabinho. 

The way I see it is we are going to have to paper over the cracks till January because we can only realistic expect to have 2 good options for 2 positions and one of them is injured at the moment in Fabinho.  Matip has to be cover when these two options are available.   We have 2 or 3 youngsters hopefully one of them perform miracles but it is a big ask. 

Williams becomes an option in Europe and Philips maybe a option in the League but they need protection.  Maybe Billy might become an option too but these youngsters shouldn't be playing consecutive games just makeshift players for me.  They are too inexperience to be playing at the highest level in the game in this position.   Centre Halve and Goal keeper department is a position you need top experienced players ready not developing.    The good news is we have a GENIUS in charge and he will hopefully get us through this huge problem. 
      CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #55: Nov 03, 2020 04:47:55 pm
      Am I wrong to suggest that our CB woes are behind us, the three lads brought in to cover for Virgil have all performed admirably, and if Fabinhoā€™s hammy not torn would we have lost out on potentially a very good CB in Nat Phillips, having sold Lovren was his replacement already at the club and we donā€™t need to buy anyone?

Don't know why is it that when a spot opens up on the roster the reflex reaction is to want to bring someone in from the outside, and if not done used as a stick to beat Klopp/management with, instead of giving our academy/depth players a chance.

Rhys and Nat have done better than you could have sensibly expected someone new to perform, given they would have had little time to adjust to our style of play.

The cries of "WE SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A CB" surely have silenced.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #56: Nov 03, 2020 04:51:34 pm
      Am I wrong to suggest that our CB woes are behind us,

Y  N  W  A

The short answer Billy Yes...

It's impossible that any club in England and posibly the whole of Europe can survive without a player of VVD standards. Absolute world class and arguable the best player in the world for his postion. How can any team think their CB worries are behind them with the ability he shows on the pitch.

You'll leak in more goals that's for sure, it's basically just a question of how well/bad Liverpool adapt to it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,941 posts | 4997 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #57: Nov 03, 2020 05:27:17 pm
      The short answer Billy Yes...

It's impossible that any club in England and posibly the whole of Europe can survive without a player of VVD standards. Absolute world class and arguable the best player in the world for his postion. How can any team think their CB worries are behind them with the ability he shows on the pitch.

You'll leak in more goals that's for sure, it's basically just a question of how well/bad Liverpool adapt to it.

Your right Keith, Virgil is the best in the world in that position, and of course his very own standards will be very difficult if not impossible to replicate, however, we are talking about surviving the period of time he is missing and although that will be difficult enough it is by no means out of our depth,

We seen how Fabinho adapted in his stead and unfortunately suffered his hammy, all doom a fookin gloom then, but then young Rhys burst onto the scene and played admirably for someone with little experience, similarly with Nat Phillips he apparently was surplus hence his non inclusion in the CL squad,  but again he didnā€™t look out of place,

For me the key word is experience or lack thereof, now we all know that both of those lads are short of the experience required but how do you get that experience?

It would be folly if anybody thought that we would be error free with that lack of experience but before Virgil was assaulted mistakes were rife in and around our back 5 anyway, it is a massive blow losing the big fella, there is no getting away from that, but ready made replacementā€™s as we have mentioned simply arenā€™t available, so you make do with what you have, and what we have are two young hungry determined individuals who will give their all for JĆ¼rgen , their peers and themselves , and you canā€™t ask for anymore than that, the experience will come with time,

I think we will surprise those who think our season is done already, but who sits atop of the pile right now, yet , weā€™re yet to hit top gear, last two campaigns we have taken the one game at a time mantra, we will do so again this season, and as each game passes we get closer to having the big fella back, after the international break weā€™ll have Thiago back, Keita back, Matip back, Jota has settled quickly and will thrive in the coming months, you would be very silly to write us off, do so at your peril  !

Y  N  W  A

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #58: Nov 05, 2020 01:21:03 pm
      Since VVD injury we have played 5 games. Conceded 2 goals, 1 a peno
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #59: Nov 05, 2020 01:49:50 pm
      Don't know why is it that when a spot opens up on the roster the reflex reaction is to want to bring someone in from the outside, and if not done used as a stick to beat Klopp/management with, instead of giving our academy/depth players a chance.

Rhys and Nat have done better than you could have sensibly expected someone new to perform, given they would have had little time to adjust to our style of play.

The cries of "WE SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A CB" surely have silenced.

I'll be that guy...I still think we should have bought a CB. I just think it's not ideal to have to move Fabinho from his best position to cover another position. Because then you've lost players in two positions, not just one.

I hope Phillips and Rhys can keep performing at an acceptable level. I must say I've been pleasantly surprised, but the question becomes, can they do it for the whole season?

CT_LFC

• 6,810 posts | 1402 
      Reply #60: Nov 05, 2020 02:28:40 pm
      I'll be that guy...I still think we should have bought a CB. I just think it's not ideal to have to move Fabinho from his best position to cover another position. Because then you've lost players in two positions, not just one.

I hope Phillips and Rhys can keep performing at an acceptable level. I must say I've been pleasantly surprised, but the question becomes, can they do it for the whole season?

Obviously no one knows and the only way to find out is to let the season play out. However, we need to realize that whoever would have been brought in as 4th CB option was not going to be a top-level talent. That type of player wants to be a regular and is not going to want to go to a team to sit on the bench (4 CB options often times don't even make the bench for games) and play Carabao Cup games and hope for injuries to get more playing time. So an external option was likely going to be a "middle of the pack" defender much closer to Steven Caulker than Kalidou Koulibaly who would be new to the team and system for whom the same question you have about Rhys and Nat would apply to.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #61: Nov 06, 2020 01:35:43 am

Then we have Leicester first game back after the break hopefully we will have options of Matip and Fabinho. 

De Ja Vu, let's hope it's the same scoreline we get as we did when we came back as Club World Champions!  ;D
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #62: Nov 06, 2020 02:31:18 am
      De Ja Vu, let's hope it's the same scoreline we get as we did when we came back as Club World Champions!  ;D

That would be awesome!  ;D
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #63: Nov 06, 2020 02:33:12 am

Might get a couple more if Brendan starts to flip triangles!  :D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #64: Nov 06, 2020 02:35:50 am

Oh hell yeah, that is one of the best away games I had the pleasure of watching from start to finish. No nerves were shot!  :D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Nov 11, 2020 08:06:50 pm
      Footballers were not meant to play three matches in a week, let alone do that 6 or 7 weeks in a row. The fact that the schedule is that congested doesn't make it wise, and the sports science people will tell you UNANIMOUSLY that such a schedule greatly increases the risk of injury, for any player. I would expect Trent and Robbo to be rested somewhere in this stretch as well. So no, Gomez should not play every one of these matches.

*sigh*
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #66: Nov 11, 2020 11:51:33 pm
      Wonder what Dejan is thinking?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #67: Nov 12, 2020 04:04:21 am
      Guess we're really gonna see what the two Williams boys are made of over the next few weeks.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #68: Nov 12, 2020 06:59:09 am

Who knows with the sh*t Dejan comes out with 🤣

Quick Reply