Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Alisson Becker
      1 (1.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      9 (15.3%)
       Fabinho
      7 (11.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.7%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      4 (6.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      35 (59.3%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: Jan 08, 2021 09:54:54 pm

Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30798 times
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Re: Southampton 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #690: Jan 04, 2021 10:46:04 pm
      Ha you're joking.

Klopp will be playing the kids against Villa.

And rightly so. Do you honestly think we should be risking more injuries this season for the FA cup?

Yep,not a chance,FA cup has no value to FSG or Klopp.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,297 posts | 1666 
      Reply #691: Jan 04, 2021 10:46:24 pm
      Ha you're joking.

And rightly so. Do you honestly think we should be risking more injuries this season for the FA cup?

Not so sure now obviously will be changes but not sure wholesale
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #692: Jan 04, 2021 10:47:02 pm
      Ha you're joking.

He risked them all in Denmark in a game with f**k all riding on it ... why not put them out there in a competitive game.

They don't deserve a night off after that abomination tonight and they should be wanting to goto villa and get some revenge for one of our other garbage performances this season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #693: Jan 04, 2021 10:48:07 pm
      Ha you're joking.

Yes we need the Villa game to try to find some form again, none of the players tonight deserve a rest.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #694: Jan 04, 2021 10:49:04 pm
      He risked them all in Denmark in a game with f**k all riding on it ... why not put them out there in a competitive game.

They don't deserve a night off after that abomination tonight and they should be wanting to goto villa and get some revenge for one of our other garbage performances this season.

That game still annoys me, playing Jota and Salah in a pointless game and injuring Jota!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,443 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #695: Jan 04, 2021 10:51:58 pm
      Do wish people  would stop banging on about that f**king game in Denmark.  Get over it ffs
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,129 posts | 83 
      Reply #696: Jan 04, 2021 10:54:31 pm
      Do you honestly think we should be risking more injuries this season for the FA cup?

My thinking is this: we look meh since Covid, already since last season. Very possible we lose PL and CL and then it would be good to still have a chance for some silverware and FA-Cup is not garbage (like Caraboa/League Cup).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #697: Jan 04, 2021 10:55:38 pm
      Very very predictable football and not for the first game.

Need some sort of spark to get us out if this but I'm not sure exactly what that is or where it'll come from?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #698: Jan 04, 2021 10:55:58 pm
      It was just another one of those performances that we’ve been seeing lately. Dominating football games but we aren’t doing enough to win them.

I’ll start with the line up. I had no problems with it at all. People will say they wanted henderson in midfield but I thought our midfield was dreadful against both wba and Newcastle so I was looking forward to seeing the quality of Thiago on the ball, ox’s pace and energy and I was happy having a senior pro in the back four rather than one of the kids filling in too.

So the game starts and we’re 1-0 down within minutes. A free kick that was never a free kick in truth but it was an early indication of what we were going to see for the rest of the game. But that said, the way we defended it was shocking. We switched off and I’ve said it a few times on this forum recently but it was amateurish and school boy like. Trent made an absolute mess of defending the ball and it was a lovely finish by Ings.

The rest of the half was just Southampton wanting it more than us. They were first to every ball, every second ball, they were aggressive, pressed us high and they defended well too. They were the better side in the first half but bloody hell the referee wasn’t doing us any favours was he. I don’t like blaming refs or commenting on them much but I thought he was awful.

Second half starts and it’s just complete domination by us. However, just like we saw against wba and Newcastle, we never truly looked like scoring. Apart from Manes left foot shot inside the box which he fluffed, did we have any other shots on target? It was poor. Really poor actually.

Trent had probably the worst game I’ve ever seen him play for us. The two cbs had nothing to do all game. Robbo was our best player in my opinion. The midfield three were poor once again. Ox not involved and rightly dragged off but I didn’t think shaqiri did much when he came on either. Thiago did ok but considering how good he is he wasn’t doing enough. He usually dominates and controls games much better than that but we’ve got to take his recent injury into consideration he’s probably a few yards off the pace still. I wanted him to pass the ball forward more instead of using the full backs as often as he did. Gini was completely absent first half but started to grow into the game as it went on but he wasn’t doing enough either. These midfielders need to help the front three out far more and force the games. Have a f**king shot. Stop playing so safe all the time. Try and force something to happen.
      Salah was sh*te. Bobby ok I thought he won the ball back for us a good few times and linked well. And mane saw lots of the ball and was our biggest threat but I thought his end product was absolutely terrible. His confidence looks a shot to me at the moment. A mane in form scores a brace and makes two assists there tonight.

Very frustrating. Tonight was the first time this season I’ve felt our title is under serious threat. We are going to drop a lot of points this season. We just have to hope that other teams do too.

weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #699: Jan 04, 2021 10:56:47 pm
      Do wish people  would stop banging on about that f**king game in Denmark.  Get over it ffs

It could be the biggest mistake of the season as no doubt Jota would have been playing the last 3 games,whether off the bench or from the start and he would have made an impact but instead was played in a dead rubber game and got injured,that's why people are pi**ed
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #700: Jan 04, 2021 10:57:16 pm
      We're in bad form which will pass, but I'm not confident of ever finding real consistency to win the League in this strange season. I'd have put money on the mentality monsters coping best with all the problems and stresses of the times, but it's not looking that way, at least in the moment. My expectations are getting reduced as the season progresses, now I'd be happy with top four as long as the Scum get nowhere near the title.

I'm staying off social media, and am gonna try and focus instead on enjoyable things, positive things. I have a tendency to indulge rage and frustration and I really cannot allow it now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,443 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #701: Jan 04, 2021 11:01:26 pm
      It could be the biggest mistake of the season as no doubt Jota would have been playing the last 3 games,whether off the bench or from the start and he would have made an impact but instead was played in a dead rubber game and got injured,that's why people are pi**ed

The current front 3 are more than good enough, having jota would have been good but it is typical of the overaction to anything negative that people still keep on banging on about it.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #702: Jan 04, 2021 11:04:32 pm
      What is it with all this pish both managers comeing on the pitch hugging players etc its all for the camera get up the f@cking tunnel show boating or what

CT_LFC

• 6,812 posts | 1406 
      Reply #703: Jan 04, 2021 11:06:55 pm

Where Klopp made a lot of changes to the lineup. People are just F***ing dumb sometimes.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #704: Jan 04, 2021 11:18:50 pm
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #705: Jan 04, 2021 11:19:44 pm
      The current front 3 are more than good enough, having jota would have been good but it is typical of the overaction to anything negative that people still keep on banging on about it.

On current form the front 3 are not good enough and Jürgen seems to have little faith in Minamino even though he was signed a year ago(even Origi seems to now be ahead of him) hence Jota would be a good option to give our regular front 3 a kick up the arse,i don't think it's an over reaction everyone is frustrated and bemused as to why Jürgen played/risked him?i believe we get more than 3 points out of Fulham,WBA,Newcastle and Southampton if Jota was fit and playing.I can understand why people are annoyed,but your right we need to move on from that now.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #706: Jan 04, 2021 11:19:59 pm
      Only small consolation, we have a chance to bounce back against Man Utd a week on Sunday. Surely the lads will all be up for this game, whoever is in the starting line up.
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #707: Jan 04, 2021 11:21:53 pm

Unbelievable especially as he dished out yellows to us early on,that's a straight red all day long.
      scotscouse
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | 40 
      Reply #708: Jan 04, 2021 11:22:34 pm
      Why did Doris not announce that all football would stop with immediate affect and the league positions are the final positions for season we would be Champions would really p@ss the rest off YNWA
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #709: Jan 05, 2021 01:56:46 am
      Just seen the game. At work all evening and switched the phone off to avoid the score. Wish I didn’t bother. Referee a disgrace as usual, but we deserved nothing. Never ever looked like scoring at any moment. Just one of those runs. It’ll turn for us again. Beat the Mancs and things look rosy again.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 1099 
      Reply #710: Jan 05, 2021 02:12:20 am
      The Villa game got just got bigger b/c the United game just got BIGGER. We have to have some confidence going into the United game. We can't go into it like this. Go midly strong against Villa and then respond. We have to get 3 points against the Mancs at home. We can't let the streak end with them. The momentum has to change on Friday. Up the Reds
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Southampton V Liverpool
      Reply #711: Jan 05, 2021 03:13:29 am
      Gotta disagree with you there. Against Newcastle we could have really used Shaq's finesse and ability instead of Milner's grit. That the game ended without Shaq getting significant time was a mistake by Klopp, IMO.

My point wasn't that any of them couldn't have a positive impact, but that to start the match and play potentially 90 minutes, you want them to reach a certain level of fitness and sharpness. Having had 5-6 training sessions (for example) is more likely to accomplish that than 1-2 training sessions.

Saying all that, he was as ineffective as the rest of them today. It's the old backup quarterback syndrome (using American sports analogy). The guy(s) everybody calls for to save the day turns out upon getting a game to have been the backup for a reason.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #712: Jan 05, 2021 03:14:34 am
      The Villa game got just got bigger b/c the United game just got BIGGER. We have to have some confidence going into the United game. We can't go into it like this. Go midly strong against Villa and then respond. We have to get 3 points against the Mancs at home. We can't let the streak end with them. The momentum has to change on Friday. Up the Reds

Our issue now is far bigger than one game, one result.

Quick Reply