Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Utd?

Alisson Becker
      40 (41.2%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.1%)
       Fabinho
      40 (41.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      2 (2.1%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      13 (13.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: Jan 21, 2021 06:22:40 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29575 times
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussionare you se
      Reply #598: Jan 17, 2021 07:26:39 pm
      As they should. This team sits at the top of the world with the greatest manager on earth and a fully remodeled and expanded Anfield and brand new academy which will benefit the team for generations, long after Henry and Co are gone.

As they should???are you serious?we are where we are because of JĆ¼rgen and his coaches,no other manager in the world wins what we have won in the last 2 years with a net spend of 20m,even Bournemouth had a higher net spend than us when they were in the prem.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussionare you se
      Reply #599: Jan 17, 2021 07:30:15 pm
      As they should???are you serious?we are where we are because of JĆ¼rgen and his coaches,no other manager in the world wins what we have won in the last 2 years with a net spend of 20m,even Bournemouth had a higher net spend than us when they were in the prem.

Yes, as they should. Just because we are in a really crappy patch does not mean that the team isn't in its best position that it has been in many moons.

In your lifetime, when's the last time you saw this team in a better position overall? top of the football world, remodeled and expanded Anfield, brand new academy and financially stable for the future. Do tell.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Manchester United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #600: Jan 17, 2021 07:30:35 pm
      See the book of excuses out again for certain players  :roll:
      red trooper
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,834 posts | 67 
      • and don't be afraid of the dark
      Reply #601: Jan 17, 2021 07:33:09 pm
      I don't think we started our season well ,with the lockdown and no supporters it seems to be making a huge difference ,Beating Palace ? probably a glitch if I'm honest , we have world class players and they are going through a difficult time ,like the fans !, firmly believe we can go on and take the title again but its harder this year without and established defence that the midfield can rely on, onwards and upwards ! things will get better I'm sure .....referees and pundits will never change
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #602: Jan 17, 2021 07:33:39 pm
      Yes maybe next year, but for this year we are in a b***ard of a battle for a top 4 place. We wont be winning a title but we can't afford to miss out on top 4 or Gini will be the tip of the iceberg of players looking to move on.

Cant keep saying 'oh no centre halves and our midfield is in defence ill take a point'.

That's not really going to change now because the club have chosen to f**k the league off this year, but the danger there is we do ourselves some real long term damage beyond this season.

Everton will be above us next week if we keep drawing. We need to start winning or we will get swamped into about 6th or 7th fairly soon.

Its damage limitation time.
      I do think we will come out of this slump eventually, but by then there will probably too much to do to catch City.
      We should still be fine for a CL place, other teams will go through dodgy patches but my gut feeling is City have already had theirs.
      No other team in the league would have coped any better with the injuries to key players like we have, it's a miracle we remained top for so long. It really doesn't look like we'll be seeing any arrivals in this window, so we'll just have to muddle through and hope we get a few decisions going our way and a bit of luck.
      It is what it is.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #603: Jan 17, 2021 07:34:37 pm
      Feel like I havenā€™t watched match of the day for months
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #604: Jan 17, 2021 07:35:21 pm
      Yes maybe next year, but for this year we are in a b***ard of a battle for a top 4 place. We wont be winning a title but we can't afford to miss out on top 4 or Gini will be the tip of the iceberg of players looking to move on.

Cant keep saying 'oh no centre halves and our midfield is in defence ill take a point'.

That's not really going to change now because the club have chosen to f**k the league off this year, but the danger there is we do ourselves some real long term damage beyond this season.

Everton will be above us next week if we keep drawing. We need to start winning or we will get swamped into about 6th or 7th fairly soon.

Its damage limitation time.

Fully agree with this.

We can't keep saying we'll have the injured players back soon. Realistically, Virgil and Gomez probably won't play again until next season. This puts us out of a genuine chance to win the title. It seems harsh but that's just my opinion based on our performances and the likes of City and United who are threatening to pull away.

We just need to make absolutely sure that we finish in the top 4 as anything less would prove disastrous. I can't see our play improving any time soon with the continuous makeshift defence having to be employed. The boys just need to improve their output up top and get us over the line for UCL qualification.

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #605: Jan 17, 2021 07:36:10 pm

Yes, as they should. Just because we are in a really crappy patch does not mean that the team isn't in its best position that it has been in many moons.

In your lifetime, when's the last time you saw this team in a better position overall? top of the football world, remodeled and expanded Anfield, brand new academy and financially stable for the future. Do tell.

I agree with you that we have a great team, with the best manager in the world but you have to improve thr team all the time.
      A very good example is whiskey nose who kept adding talent to the team.

Its harder to stay at the top then challenging every five years or so.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #606: Jan 17, 2021 07:39:46 pm
      I agree with you that we have a great team, with the best manager in the world but you have to improve thr team all the time.
      A very good example is whiskey nose who kept adding talent to the team.

Its harder to stay at the top then challenging every five years or so.

I agree with you, but what we are going through right now is unprecedented.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #607: Jan 17, 2021 07:43:43 pm
      We did strengthen from an already strong position in the summer though; Thiago & Jota were both very good signings.
      The failure of signing a centre half has been done to death, maybe we should have, maybe we shouldn't, but no one could have forseen injuries to both first choice centre halves within weeks of each other that would keep them out for the entire season.
      Signing a centre half and another attacker now would be fantastic and would show real intent to the rest of the teams that we aren't going down without a fight, but I totally understand the circumstances that mean we probably won't sign anyone at all.
      « Last Edit: Jan 17, 2021 07:50:26 pm by LiverpoolsFinest »
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #608: Jan 17, 2021 07:48:06 pm
      Nice one Billy

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Letā€™s put things into perspective here, we were up against the form team, who had won their last 15 away games, they had a fully fit team with the referees & the media in their pockets, they are deemed to be back and threatening to win the league, YET, they could not beat a side demoralised by injuries, missing 75% of their defence and having two midfield players used as makeshift CBā€™s, those same two midfielders were missing from their normal positions,

Looking back to last season and beyond, most of our attacking play starts from our normal CBā€™s, from 50,60,70 yard passes to linking up with our normal midfield trio and in turn onto the three attackers, our whole unit is intrinsically linked, itā€™s why we have been virtually untouchable last two to three seasons,

Take 75% of that intrinsically linked machine out and your left with a skeleton of a side devoid of the kind of football we have all been spoiled by, itā€™s not pretty what we are watching but we are hanging in there,

We didnā€™t lose, we are still in the race, and we will get better, it is completely obvious we are out of sorts, name me a side that with us much disruption we have had to deal with and still be in contention, weā€™re not quite at the halfway point in this mad season and I believe it will come down to a two horse race , we just need to hang in there, be patient and things will turn around,

BELIEVE !

UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #609: Jan 17, 2021 07:50:46 pm
      I'm a fat 52 year old c**t who's knocked back 8 beers watching that and now I'm off to play just dance on the switch with my 7 year old daughter, life's bigger than that sh*te, move on Reds.

YNWA

;D thatā€™s it. I miss most the games these days because Iā€™m having my nails painted by my 5 year old. Iā€™m currently in bed watching the kids play super mario world. (They have lost the switch due to bad behaviour haha).
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #610: Jan 17, 2021 07:51:05 pm
      DeGea had one comfortable save to do and which he did nicely. United had the better chances and that's even after Ole parking the f**king bus for fear of defeat.  :f_steam:    In no way did you deserve to win the game bmck.

Utd came and played the way they play, sit and defend and hit on the break, without ambition. We dominated the 1st half, Utd made it more even in the 2nd, couple of shots that Ali saved pretty comfortably.
      Even with arguably our two best midfielders playing in defense we had about 66% possession and twice as many shots - but our front 3 can't hit a cows arse with a banjo right now, so many shots, so few making the keeper work. Firmino was awful. Salah very quiet. Same as in previous matches.
      Utd will certainly be the happier team.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #611: Jan 17, 2021 07:53:13 pm
      Anyone think Mane and Salah are playing too far apart ?

I know bobs in there as well, but more often than  not a bit deeper. That leaves the other two about 20yds apart.
      Strikers usually play off each other better if they are 5 to 8 yds apart.
      Just putting it out there 🤷ā€ā™‚ļø
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #612: Jan 17, 2021 07:56:44 pm
      Other than our misfiring attack we are actually playing quite well but Klopp needs to be brave and shake up the front three, Bobby has to be dropped for the foreseeable and either start Minamino or put an extra body in midfield.

In the context of current form a draw was actually a useful point but we now must beat Burnley and start picking up some momentum again.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #613: Jan 17, 2021 08:02:09 pm
      "I liked the game.." JĆ¼rgen Klopp

:mad: :mad: :mad:
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #614: Jan 17, 2021 08:02:42 pm

Nothing to do with a crappy patch,i honestly thought we would be signing at least 1 CB maybe 2 in this window,we have no fit CB's and our best midfielder is playing there. JĆ¼rgen needs CB's to compete with City,city would be buying at least 1 if they were in our situation. JĆ¼rgen has worked wonders this season but the risk is there of not finishing in the top 4 which would mean FSG likely selling some of our world class players.

FYI i have supported Liverpool for 40 years so have seen us top of the football world on many occasions and seen so many world class players play for this great club and every season grow stronger in the eighties,adding quality players every season (not standing still)even though we were as you put it on top of the football world.
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 981 posts | 65 
      Reply #615: Jan 17, 2021 08:05:05 pm
      Having Fabinho in defence not midfield is killing us but what can we do ? Nothing unfortunately at the minute . He seems to be the glue that holds the team together when heā€™s in the middle . Credit to him heā€™s outstanding at the back but by god we miss him in midfield .
      Forwards are struggling for form , Jota made a big difference but thatā€™s not happening for a while either .
      Until we have a recognised defence and midfield back, itā€™s going to be painful for a while but we have to suck it up , thatā€™s how it is.
      we have had two seasons of low injuries and key players staying fit and we weā€™re fantastic , on a different level ,but this year will be a ā€œnormal tense oneā€ until the end .
      weareliverpool
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 586 posts | 102 
      Reply #616: Jan 17, 2021 08:13:51 pm
      Having Fabinho in defence not midfield is killing us but what can we do ? Nothing unfortunately at the minute . He seems to be the glue that holds the team together when heā€™s in the middle . Credit to him heā€™s outstanding at the back but by god we miss him in midfield .
      Forwards are struggling for form , Jota made a big difference but thatā€™s not happening for a while either .
      Until we have a recognised defence and midfield back, itā€™s going to be painful for a while but we have to suck it up , thatā€™s how it is.
      we have had two seasons of low injuries and key players staying fit and we weā€™re fantastic , on a different level ,but this year will be a ā€œnormal tense oneā€ until the end .

This is why FSG have to put their hands in their pockets for 2 CB's for JĆ¼rgen,he deserves their support the success and financial rewards they have reaped over the last 3 years.Then players can play in their natural positions.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #617: Jan 17, 2021 08:24:38 pm
      Keita back would help best ball carrier we have
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #618: Jan 17, 2021 08:25:50 pm
      Not the normal intensity of a Liverpool - Man utd game. Just your average lockdown fare. You could easily play these games at the club's training grounds cos they'd look no different. My take anyway.

Other than that our front three still firing blanks!
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #619: Jan 17, 2021 08:30:40 pm
      80% possession to Liverpool and nowt to show for it.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #620: Jan 17, 2021 08:37:09 pm
      When you look at all the teams on paper atm city are the most talented by far. They could be about to make a run. Need to get in form and pull a result off em in a few weeks. But first, let's score a goal and beat Burnley

Quick Reply