Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Alisson Becker
      6 (11.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (3.9%)
       Fabinho
      9 (17.6%)
      Joel Matip
      16 (31.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (2%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      8 (15.7%)
      Divock Origi
      5 (9.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: Jan 25, 2021 09:51:46 pm

Liverpool 0-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30042 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Jan 21, 2021 11:00:34 pm
      Oh come off it. We deserved to win those games last season because we pressed the life out of teams intensely until the final whistle every game.

We have lost our intensity and our pressing so it's easy for teams to defend against us now.

We aren't winning games now because we don't deserve to win them.

We can’t press teams when there’s nothing to press though.

What are our average possession stats this season? Must be over 70 surely?

We always have the ball, but we have three forwards who rely on big spaces because technically two of them aren’t the best and we have no proper creativity or driving force from the midfield other than Thiago.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #645: Jan 21, 2021 11:00:36 pm
      Exactly, there’s not much else to focus on that gives you a buzz! The football is the only thing that’s kept me going, sadly there’s not been much to enjoy in our performances, either in performance or results lately. I’m as gutted as everyone, but I’ve now really thought about things, after that loss, and I’m just relieved that none of my family have or have had Covid, none have lost their jobs, my wider friends base are all mostly OK. I’m going to hang onto that and I’m afraid football just seems so less important! I love my football, but I do appreciate that there are things more important than football at this moment. We will come through this, but for now we need to take care of each other!

We still have the FA cup this weekend mate and a win against the Mancs will lift our spirits again considerably.

The players have some soul searching to do over the next two days to get their belief back.

At the very least despite our form it's still a welcome distraction from all this Covid misery.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #646: Jan 21, 2021 11:04:28 pm
      We can’t press teams when there’s nothing to press though.

What are our average possession stats this season? Must be over 70 surely?

We always have the ball, but we have three forwards who rely on big spaces because technically two of them aren’t the best and we have no proper creativity or driving force from the midfield other than Thiago.

Our pressing from the front has dropped off. Plenty of times tonght we were second best to a Burnley defender winning the ball first. We lack urgency and invention so the opposition defence can stay focused thoughout the game. Our build up play around the box is slow and ponderous when we should be making much quicker incisive passes.

It's clear as say where our problems are and how to address them but it's up to the players to make it click again.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #647: Jan 21, 2021 11:04:45 pm
      Well that was just sh*t!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #648: Jan 21, 2021 11:11:06 pm
      Whatever happens on the pitch this season, top 4 top 6 top 8 wherever we bloody land the most important thing is that we can go into next season as a close unit.

Getting into the top 4 will help to keep the players we have on our books to stay on our books and has to be the target now.

It really isn't going to be as cut and dry as people believe. A big scrap on our hands. If we dont get there it doesn't have to be the end of this group but it all depends on how the players view it. Hopefully it would be seen as a freak season in freakish times. The sharks may well be circling though looking for signs of disgruntled players.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #649: Jan 21, 2021 11:11:14 pm
      Seem to be missing the supporters more as the weeks go by. Not just from an atmospheric point of view to help encourage the players, but to also keep them on their toes. We've been playing our games like kickabouts on the park lately and letting matches pass us by whilst repeating the same formula. For example I don't think a packed Anfield would have took kindly to 20 or so stray crosses from Trent tonight. Not to single him out, but the groans would have gotten louder after each one and he'd have been more than likely forced to take a different approach due to becoming conscious of the crowd getting on his back. Same can be said for a lot of the players tonight involving the dilly-dallying on the edge of the box and trying to score the perfect goal.

I know every team has been dealt the same cards at the moment in terms of spectators, but we seem to be dealing with it worse than most.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4943 
      Reply #650: Jan 21, 2021 11:13:51 pm
      Ok, but against Burnley who shithouse and park the bus, how should we have played differently?

I think some folks are losing sight of the fact that last year we won some games we probably shouldn’t have and now we aren’t winning some of those games. It happens. We will come out of it.

I'd have started by telling my fullbacks to stop swinging aimless crosses in against a side set up to deal with exactly that.

I get it mate you don't want to admit we're in a bit of bother. I'm not saying it'll last forever but if we keep doing what we've been doing over the next run of games we will be in big difficulties.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #651: Jan 21, 2021 11:14:42 pm
      Our pressing from the front has dropped off. Plenty of times tonght we were second best to a Burnley defender winning the ball first. We lack urgency and invention so the opposition defence can stay focused thoughout the game. Our build up play around the box is slow and ponderous when we should be making much quicker incisive passes.

It's clear as say where our problems are and how to address them but it's up to the players to make it click again.

Teams rarely play out against us now though and are happy to sit in and counter us instead. We literally can’t press anyone and instead we’re relying on creativity which we don’t have. I’ll be surprised if (on average) we had more possession last season than we have had this season so far.

I agree with you about the tempo but it’s difficult when the space is no longer there.

This could be a blessing in a weird way. We aren’t great at breaking teams down but other sides might think we’re there for the taking at the moment and open up and have a go at us which will play into our hands/strengths.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #652: Jan 21, 2021 11:20:24 pm
      Worst case scenario: we waited 30 years to win this again but Utd win it the season after! 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #653: Jan 21, 2021 11:24:53 pm
      Worst case scenario: we waited 30 years to win this again but Utd win it the season after! 

I'd have took that 2 years ago.

Hopefully doesn't happen, I went into ABU mode 2 weeks ago and City are getting results at the moment. Hopefully they will stop them as nobody really gives a F**k if City win it.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #654: Jan 21, 2021 11:27:55 pm
      Whatever happens on the pitch this season, top 4 top 6 top 8 wherever we bloody land the most important thing is that we can go into next season as a close unit.

Number 7 is in the f**king post. Nap!

Most of you silly fuckers just can't see that this season has got that written all over it just yet.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,698 posts | 3937 
      Reply #655: Jan 21, 2021 11:28:36 pm
      Can’t sleep, so upset 😫😫
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #656: Jan 21, 2021 11:29:58 pm
      MotM poll should have me in it aswell. If you'd seen the amount I drank from first to last whistle you'd be in agreement.

Christ
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #657: Jan 21, 2021 11:30:42 pm
      Can’t sleep, so upset 😫😫

Have  a can pipe and chill, mate. 19 games left. We be good
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #658: Jan 21, 2021 11:50:17 pm
      Number 7 is in the f**king post. Nap!

Most of you silly fuckers just can't see that this season has got that written all over it just yet.

haha well more of a chance of that than the league, but there's a few teams in there that could really hurt us. Bayern being one of them. If someone takes them out then we have a shot.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #659: Jan 21, 2021 11:55:04 pm
      Hey... sh*t happens!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #660: Jan 22, 2021 12:25:04 am
      Been feeling like sh*t for a while, life really is getting on top of me. The one thing that has been constant is this club. It means so much to me at a time I feel so low, lonely, lost and sad. This current runs ldn't helping bit we could never win another game and it wouldn't change the way I feel about this club. I am at a total loss to explain this run after the last 2 incredible years. Rest assured I will be cheering on the boys on sunday

Plussed you for the final sentence. Hang in there FK10. I know how you feel.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #661: Jan 22, 2021 12:46:23 am
      Teams rarely play out against us now though and are happy to sit in and counter us instead. We literally can’t press anyone and instead we’re relying on creativity which we don’t have. I’ll be surprised if (on average) we had more possession last season than we have had this season so far.

I agree with you about the tempo but it’s difficult when the space is no longer there.

This could be a blessing in a weird way. We aren’t great at breaking teams down but other sides might think we’re there for the taking at the moment and open up and have a go at us which will play into our hands/strengths.

Spot on about the teams taking our pressing out of commission by bunkering in. This is also why the Champions League is our better chance for a trophy this season. Those teams will mostly come out and play actual football.

Not sure about lower PL teams changing though. We'll have to show them we can actually break down a low block for them to start doing that. But I do expect we will manage to do that sooner or later. Starting to think Thiago AND Jota were bought with that negative tactic in mind.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6403 
      Reply #662: Jan 22, 2021 01:01:01 am
      I'd have started by telling my fullbacks to stop swinging aimless crosses in against a side set up to deal with exactly that.

I get it mate you don't want to admit we're in a bit of bother. I'm not saying it'll last forever but if we keep doing what we've been doing over the next run of games we will be in big difficulties.

Oh I know we are in a downturn, just saying I don’t think it’s as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. We will be ok.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #663: Jan 22, 2021 01:01:20 am
      Stating the obvious here as well but I think it’s clear we don’t have strength in depth.

We’re in a rut at the moment with several players out of form, very unusual for us and we’ve never been here before, so we need to make changes. We look towards the bench for options but who is there?

It’s all well and good saying drop Trent but who do we bring in? Milner? A 35 year old midfielder? No thanks. Neco? Nowhere near good enough.

We all know the problems we have at centre half.

Keita is always injured. Ox has been poor since his return and looks a shadow of his former self. I’ve never been a big fan of Jones personally and feel he’s over rated but regardless of what I think he’s a young, inexperienced kid anyway.

Shaqiri is a tidy little player but realistically he isn’t good enough to play a consistent run of games for a team with title ambitions. He doesn’t get in any of the teams around us.

Origi most of us have a soft spot for but he isn’t good enough either. In fact, apart from Jota perhaps, we don’t have anybody in the squad at all who can challenge for places in the front three and he’s bloody injured.

Minamino has had enough minutes now to judge him and so far it’s not been great for him and I have doubts whether he’s good enough for this level too.

I know we can’t have a squad of 20 superstars but we’re in an usual position where so many players are out of form but our squad depth isn’t good enough to make the changes required.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,296 posts | 4943 
      Reply #664: Jan 22, 2021 01:09:54 am
      Oh I know we are in a downturn, just saying I don’t think it’s as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. We will be ok.

To be honest I think it is as bad as everyone makes out.

But we will be OK as you say, just a matter of how long that is going to take.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,381 posts | 6403 
      Reply #665: Jan 22, 2021 01:33:56 am
      We’ve had an epic run of injuries, it’s unreal. Some of them we should have expected (Keita, Matip), but some of them we couldn’t have foreseen (Thiago, VVD, Jota, Tsmikas).

I think we are just really unlucky with it this year. If we had half as many injuries we probably are still at the top of the table. Just my hunch.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,343 posts | 8607 
      Reply #666: Jan 22, 2021 01:51:58 am
      We're currently looking like we couldn't hit an elephant's arse with a banjo!!

And as for that F***ing Origi chance ffs

Quick Reply