Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 5th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W10 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v City?

Alisson Becker
      9 (11.1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      6 (7.4%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      10 (12.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (2.5%)
      Thiago Alcantara
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      4 (4.9%)
      Curtis Jones
      42 (51.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (7.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      1 (1.2%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 81

Voting closed: Feb 11, 2021 06:21:56 pm

Liverpool 1-4 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24682 times
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Re: Liverpool 1-4 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Feb 07, 2021 07:43:06 pm
      Probably already have pal. 1st league in 30 years with a CL to add to it. 

Am not too sure about that.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,361 posts | 1012 
      Reply #645: Feb 07, 2021 07:43:33 pm
      The team just looks mentally and physically fu**ed at the moment,  throw in injuries, loss of form, confidence etc

I think that could apply to many of the fans as well, the last year has been a difficult year for many of us, results in matches will be magnified because for many that’s all we’ve got to look forward to. I’ll never give up on this team, but sometimes for our own sanity we have to step back and put our own sanity and well-being first!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,561 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #646: Feb 07, 2021 07:43:46 pm
      Thought 2nd half of 1st half we were looking decent.  But 2nd half Citeh came out and looked a different side.
      Still level though when Alisson makes his first mistake, and how unbelievable for him to go on and make another one straight after. Mad. Game over.
      This is a really good side, in title winning form, and like in the CL final vs RM if a keeper causes a team to concede 2 goals, no matter who they are, it's a massive ask to overturn that.

But that's how its been for us this season, as well as all the injuries, we've had poor form from top players. And Citeh deserved the 3 points, they were the better side.

Watching the 2nd half play out, it wasn't a surprise really, we've been really poor against much lesser sides, so this was always going to be tough.

In saying that, on our day if we turn it on, we can beat anyone.  But it's not a tap you can just turn on.

I could pick on players who I thought were poor today, but just feel it would be nit picking, because as a team, it's just not fecking happening for us right now.

Jürgen is a top manager, but it's disappointing that we haven't found a way to perform better at home. 3 losses on the bounce.
      Don't though agree with the talk about this team having run its course, we have ridiculous injury problems and still think we'll get top4, we have Jota to come back and CBs to come in [not surprised neither started today].
      But we need to improve our home form.

CL tie coming up soon, so we need to improve fast, otherwise we're out of that too, and the season peeters out.
      Just hope the manager and the lads figure something out.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Man City
      Reply #647: Feb 07, 2021 07:45:00 pm
      For sure. Looks like he's starting to lose the locker room, the way he lost that one

Never lost the dressing room at Dortmund. What went on there in 14/15 isn't really comparable to the situation we currently find ourselves in at the minute
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #648: Feb 07, 2021 07:46:02 pm
      I agree, need to be a realistic person. This current team will not go down as legends, they need to start improving and fast.

Give your head a F***ing wobble
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #649: Feb 07, 2021 07:51:03 pm
      Another gutless performance from the lads today. Even when we haven't been at our best in the last few seasons, you would still have players closing the opposition down and getting in their faces. You will lose football matches but at least lose them giving it your all. City just seemed to want it more which has unfortunately been the case in the last month and a half (give or take).

City weren't even that great today and the 1-4 scoreline flatters them a lot but that's just the way our season has gone. They got the luck in the key moments. Really poor and predictable again from our attacking players. Can't remember Thiago stringing 3 passes together which is so unlike him.

We need to change things and fast. We know the situation we are in and we need to do better from here. Start by bringing in the two center backs. I appreciate the whole "we need to bed them in" argument but we desperately need Fab and Henderson back in midfield. It's not as if we are playing well and look solid with the current pairing we have. Not sure what we have to lose by changing things.

Still think Klopp will eventually turn this around. Just needs to mix it up a bit.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Man City
      Reply #650: Feb 07, 2021 07:52:25 pm
      Wholesale changes needed for the next game.

Kelleher, Kabak, Davies all need to come in now so we can have a functioning midfield again.

Come on lad Alisson had a stinker today but you can't be dropping him. Fella is the best goalkeeper on the planet and has earnt enough credit to not be dropped after one nightmare game
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #651: Feb 07, 2021 07:54:24 pm

Well I wouldn’t mess with a actual LFC subscriber 👍

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #652: Feb 07, 2021 07:55:07 pm
      Another gutless performance from the lads today. Even when we haven't been at our best in the last few seasons, you would still have players closing the opposition down and getting in their faces. You will lose football matches but at least lose them giving it your all. City just seemed to want it more which has unfortunately been the case in the last month and a half (give or take).

City weren't even that great today and the 1-4 scoreline flatters them a lot but that's just the way our season has gone. They got the luck in the key moments. Really poor and predictable again from our attacking players. Can't remember Thiago stringing 3 passes together which is so unlike him.

We need to change things and fast. We know the situation we are in and we need to do better from here. Start by bringing in the two center backs. I appreciate the whole "we need to bed them in" argument but we desperately need Fab and Henderson back in midfield. It's not as if we are playing well and look solid with the current pairing we have. Not sure what we have to lose by changing things.

Still think Klopp will eventually turn this around. Just needs to mix it up a bit.

We all know what the problems are. Too many injuries, squad depth severely lacking. Can say about lack of fans, but everyone is in the same boat there. The work rate is missing, add that to the current lack of quality explains why we are hugely struggling...

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,455 posts | 3427 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #653: Feb 07, 2021 07:55:10 pm
      I think that could apply to many of the fans as well, the last year has been a difficult year for many of us, results in matches will be magnified because for many that’s all we’ve got to look forward to. I’ll never give up on this team, but sometimes for our own sanity we have to step back and put our own sanity and well-being first!

Absolutely,  my mental health like a lot of people  is on the floor at the moment,  when they win it picks me up when this current run isn't helping at all. Of course come Saturday I will be watching
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 1099 
      Reply #654: Feb 07, 2021 07:55:14 pm
      We got to stop talking about being champs and these guys winning stuff the past few years. Blah blah blah. Dude, I'm grateful for all of that, but that is in the past. If we don't change things and read the signs than it will be back to the drawing board.

There needs to be a change in personal in this squad. Milner, Ox, Shaq, Origi, and Kieta aren't good enough to be bere, be it age, lack of fitness, or skill. That's not a bad thing to say, nor does it diminish what they've done in the past. It's just the truth.

In MY opinion, it's evident that some of our guys skills are slightly eroding. Age and miles are adding up to Mane, Bob, and Gini. Our style is demanding and we've played a ton the past few years with minimal rest. We need upgrades in those positions. We also need a RB who can defend.

VVD back next season will certainly make us better, but he won't turn back the hands of time in the legs of aging players.
      CurraghRed
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 52 posts |
      Reply #655: Feb 07, 2021 07:56:02 pm
      We just do everything at a snails pace, cross field, backwards, even in our own penalty box.

Even the lesser teams have worked that out and just put 10 men behind the ball and break in numbers.

The worry is that we continue to do the same thing over and over again.

Getting harder to watch and more boring as the season moves along.

Huge game next weekend and now we probably need both Manchester teams to keep winning against the top half teams, to help us along for a top 4 place or we could be looking at Thursday night football next season. Hate to see them winning but needs be needs.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #656: Feb 07, 2021 07:58:03 pm
      Naby Keita. Now there was 50m really squandered. Really had high hopes for him as a box to box, marauding, goal scoring midfielder.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #657: Feb 07, 2021 07:59:29 pm
      Today was a culmination of what has been building for many weeks, we have been really poor for a long time now.
      We look broken, physically and mentally shattered.
      The injuries have taken their toll, and this is the end result.
      I don't know where we go from here short term to try and get some sort of form back.

I have every confidence in Jürgen to sort it, Christ we have no other alternative but to hope he does.
      Unfortunately as things stand I have no idea how he is going to go about it; there is still such a long way to go this season and the boys look seriously wrecked.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,827 posts | 2457 
      Reply #658: Feb 07, 2021 08:01:35 pm
      Come on lad Alisson had a stinker today but you can't be dropping him. Fella is the best goalkeeper on the planet and has earnt enough credit to not be dropped after one nightmare game

Fair enough but he needs to get his head straight before the next game. We'll find out next week I guess.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #659: Feb 07, 2021 08:02:33 pm
      Today was a culmination of what has been building for many weeks, we have been really poor for a long time now.
      We look broken, physically and mentally shattered.
      The injuries have taken their toll, and this is the end result.
      I don't know where we go from here short term to try and get some sort of form back.

I have every confidence in Jürgen to sort it, Christ we have no other alternative but to hope he does.
      Unfortunately as things stand I have no idea how he is going to go about it; there is still such a long way to go this season and the boys look seriously wrecked.

If he had a board willing to back him financially so that we have a real SQUAD instead of just an amazing first 11, that would help somewhat...

LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #660: Feb 07, 2021 08:12:26 pm
      If he had a board willing to back him financially so that we have a real SQUAD instead of just an amazing first 11, that would help somewhat...
      I was meaning more short term to try and salvage something from this season.
      Long term is another matter, probably best saved for another day.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #661: Feb 07, 2021 08:15:46 pm
      I was meaning more short term to try and salvage something from this season.
      Long term is another matter, probably best saved for another day.

All relevant I’m afraid...

Farmboy56
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #662: Feb 07, 2021 08:40:09 pm
      Neutral PNE / Ben Davies fan here, watched the game today, one of the sky commentators made a valid point which might have something to do with your team not performing as expected.
      Said since Thiago has been in the team that the amount of passes ( not sure if it’s just him or all the team) has gone up by a massive amount, maybe you need to get from front to back a bit quicker ?
      A bit like PNE, we bypass midfield all the time 😁
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,004 posts | 224 
      Reply #663: Feb 07, 2021 08:41:13 pm
      F**k off with your pep worship go to your own forum.

fvk off cvnt

if he had not come in they would not of been on this 14 game run and that not make me pep worshiper you fvking cvnt
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,288 posts | 4938 
      Reply #664: Feb 07, 2021 08:43:54 pm
      Our man if the match was the first one we subbed off, for me anyway

Likewise.

Another strange decision from the boss. Not as if Milner is a game changing substitute either.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,561 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #665: Feb 07, 2021 08:44:09 pm

Yeah, if I was Jürgen I'd still be thinking about that looking at the ceiling at 4am. It's a doozy.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #666: Feb 07, 2021 08:49:43 pm
      Neutral PNE / Ben Davies fan here, watched the game today, one of the sky commentators made a valid point which might have something to do with your team not performing as expected.
      Said since Thiago has been in the team that the amount of passes ( not sure if it’s just him or all the team) has gone up by a massive amount, maybe you need to get from front to back a bit quicker ?
      A bit like PNE, we bypass midfield all the time 😁

We definitely miss Van Dyke's long passes from the back which has long been a direct route of attack for us. Some people say Thiago has slowed us down but it's difficult to draw any conclusions when our form is so erratic. Personally, I'm sure he'll turn out to be a massive asset when normal football returns.

Quick Reply