Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Attacking options next season

Read 218 times
      Millsy75 and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,199 posts | 1100 
      Attacking options next season
      Yesterday at 06:09:14 pm
      Who do you think stays and who do you think leaves? I don't want to hear some FIFA answer either. Give me real options from what you think Edwarda and Hughes have on their plate. Out going and in coming.

I think Gakpo and Jota are probably safe, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if one or two of the other three leave. Salah seemed the most likely until yesterday. I'll go with Nunez for sure and Salah as a strong maybe....

With how these guys do business, the replacements are as good a guess as any.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,125 posts | 3460 
      Re: Attacking options next season
      Reply #1: Yesterday at 06:14:54 pm
      Think one will leave

Prob Diaz

And then someone like Kudas , Bakayoko etc will come in

Bowen would be good as well , Olise ,

Not sure how old he is but Hudson Odoi is starting to look like the player he was before his injury
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,199 posts | 1100 
      Reply #2: Yesterday at 06:19:15 pm
      Think one will leave

Prob Diaz

And then someone like Kudas , Bakayoko etc will come in

Bowen would be good as well , Olise ,

Not sure how old he is but Hudson Odoi is starting to look like the player he was before his injury
      Of all of those, who would you like to see the most?
      Do you see us extending Mo, or letting his contract run out and him leave on a free? All of those guys you mention play on his side. CHO is an interesting shout.... I've always liked him and expected more from him. Good player though
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,125 posts | 3460 
      Reply #3: Yesterday at 06:30:17 pm
      Of all of those, who would you like to see the most?
      Do you see us extending Mo, or letting his contract run out and him leave on a free? All of those guys you mention play on his side. CHO is an interesting shout.... I've always liked him and expected more from him. Good player though

I can see Mo getting a 2 year extension

For me it would be CHO - still only 23 , proven he can do it in the Prem

Then Olise

Bakayoko is still raw
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,199 posts | 1100 
      Reply #4: Yesterday at 06:45:24 pm

I can see Mo getting a 2 year extension

For me it would be CHO - still only 23 , proven he can do it in the Prem

Then Olise

Bakayoko is still raw
      Whoa. You're a crazy b***ard, but I love it. Man of principle. Going the more practical route, which is the FSG model, I like it.  Kudos for me
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 838 posts | 300 
      Reply #5: Yesterday at 10:25:58 pm
      I'd be ok if all of the attacking players stayed and no one came in. This is mainly because I think CB, DM and possibly LB are the priority positions (I don't want to replace Robbo but he's getting older and we need another quality LB as he can't play 50-60 games per season).

I agree with LIP, I think Diaz could be the most likely to go. I think he's a very good player but often does not fit our style of play. I think we have to many forward players who naturally prefer the left side of the pitch. Replacing Diaz with someone who plays right or centre right would help to balance the squad.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,199 posts | 1100 
      Reply #6: Yesterday at 10:27:36 pm
      I'd be ok if all of the attacking players stayed and no one came in. This is mainly because I think CB, DM and possibly LB are the priority positions (I don't want to replace Robbo but he's getting older and we need another quality LB as he can't play 50-60 games per season).

I agree with LIP, I think Diaz could be the most likely to go. I think he's a very good player but often does not fit our style of play. I think we have to many forward players who naturally prefer the left side of the pitch. Replacing Diaz with someone who plays right or centre right would help to balance the squad.
      I'd be down to sale Diaz and replace him for Hudaon Odi for half the price
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Reply #7: Today at 12:04:19 am
      I don't think we'll sell Diaz, unless somebody makes a silly money offer. He's our best option on the left, so think we'll stick with him and ( maybe) sell somebody else.

It's tricky thinking if our attacking options next season. If Jota wasn't injury prone, we could just stick as we are. Him, Diaz n Mo are a very good front 3. With Gakpo n Nunez as 2 very different backup options, would be absolutely fine.

But with Jota always missing quite a lot of games, you practically have to think of him as a bonus player and treat either Gakpo or Darwin as the first choice CF. And neither of them has quite proved they are ready for that yet. So we probably need to sign another goal scorer, which means either Cody or Darwin leaving ( since we don't have an infinite/ Citeh type budget). And that's a hard choice. Cody for me is more dependable and a safer bet. While Darwin probably has the higher ceiling. I'd like to keep them both, ideally. But I think if a big bid comes in for one ( more likely Darwin) then we'll probably take it.

An additional complication then though is that there is not many outstanding candidates for CF out there. You only have to look at the Munts trying to get by with Hoijland, or Chelsea with whatshisface. These are not clubs short of money, but they couldn't find a top striker on hhe market. Or even Arsenal playing a midfielder like Havertz up front cos they don't think Jesus or Nketiah are quite upto it. Outside the top 4 or 5 big names ( mostly ageing) who aren't really available, there's nobody really jumping out at you as necessarily a big upgrade on Cody or Darwin. So F**k knows, we may end up just going same again, and hoping either Jota stays fit, or either Darwin or Cody really click.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,228 posts | 1222 
      Reply #8: Today at 12:40:17 am
      We all have our picks and see players performing well at other clubs but who's to say they won't end up like Cody, Nunez and Diaz with question marks over their heads?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,129 posts | 454 
      Reply #9: Today at 01:40:02 am
      The new boss is head coach so strategically don't expect too much change.  Obviously he will recommend the type of players and suggestions to Hughes and co.  but if it works out it will be a very efficient way of making the next step, but the key is if it works out.  Because we all know that a new manager means a boat load of changes especially in the first couple of seasons. 

I would definitely keep Nunez just think he still has another level and with age on his side.   Gakpo and Diaz would be the obvious choice for me if someone was to be moved on.  But even Jota because of his injury problems.  I wouldn't go out of the way and sell Salah definitely not because your taking out too many goals.   I really think if an offer came like it did with Henderson it will be the players call or it should be.   As we have kept a very tight unit with a  very low turnover, just don't like to move too far from that approach it has worked well.  Yes on the way we have lost a few freebies but all in all we have been the beneficiaries of that strategy of honouring contracts. 
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,588 posts | 1099 
      Reply #10: Today at 06:53:29 am
      Id extend Mo and look to a front 3 of Salah Gakpo and Jota. Jota's injury record is concerning ... no doubt he is world class when on the pitch. When he scored at fulham im thinking yep thats what we have been missing. But he injures himself scoring and not seen since.

Diaz and Nunez to be sold and better players brought in. As for who those players are, well thats edwards/hughes job and im happy to trust the process.

If we want to compete for the title we have to bring in better and more consistent players.

You could create this thread for the defence as well. Alot of work to be done.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 956 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Today at 10:18:46 am
      Outgoing - Salah (strong possibility), Diaz (a maybe but leaning more towards a stay). Rest of them get a clean slate under a new regime before assessing again next summer.

Incoming - 2 right wingers. Maybe a RW than can also play as the #9. For me I'd love Bakayoko and Malen.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,125 posts | 3460 
      Reply #12: Today at 10:31:50 am
      I don’t see too many wholesale changes this summer

Despite the doom and gloom the attacking unit is very good , its suffered with a bit of form and luck over the last month

But there aren’t many teams that have 5 quality forwards fighting for places plus a number of very talented youngsters behind them waiting to jump in

The only reason I think we would look to bring in a forward is if one decides to leave

Can’t see the manager wanting to get rid of anyone with giving them a season under his methods

Mo
      Jota
      Diaz
      Gakpo
      Nunez

That’s full of goals and then add in Danns and Koumas waiting

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,290 posts | 4938 
      Reply #13: Today at 11:01:08 am
      I'd happily sell Diaz and replace with a player who can play right side and centre. A Jarrod Bowen. Not him as he'd likely cost a fortune but that type.

Nunez I'd also entertain an offer for if, and a huge if, Salah wasn't going to be looking a move. Nunez I think is 50/50 if he ever fulfils his potential.

Salah wants a move or were happy to cash in on a big offer then we need to replace him with proven top level quality and Nunez stays as the fourth choice and a good option to have.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,410 posts | 2829 
      Reply #14: Today at 11:21:28 am
      Honestly don't know much about Slot or his system.

If it depends on wide players getting a lot of the goals like Klopp needed from Salah and Mane then I'd say Diaz is in danger of getting the chop. If it's more about goals from the middle then I'd say Nunez is in danger of leaving.

Of course there's also the possibility of a big Saudi bid again for Salah - with Edwards/Hughes at the club our approach might be a bit different to last year. Jota's injury record a big concern as well.

People might not like it but Gakpo might be the most likely to stay!

Quick Reply