Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Scouting talk

Read 332044 times
      Emlyn Hughes and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,824 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Scouting talk
      Reply #2323: Apr 16, 2023 10:59:45 pm
      Looking more and more like our Midfield 3 next season will look something along the lines of Hendo/Fab/Thiago  :mad: :mad:

I reckon we ain't buying no one!

If we do, gonna wait for the obligatory photo outside Melwood before getting excited!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #2324: Apr 17, 2023 12:06:45 am
      Virginia. USA.

He just made a U12 travel team for central VA. He had been playing a U10 team and we got called yesterday and ask him to move up. He's pumped. Plays striker and you can tell he LOVES Firmino

434….that Richmond? Or Fredericksburg?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 1100 
      Reply #2325: Apr 17, 2023 01:06:08 am
      434….that Richmond? Or Fredericksburg?
      Appomattox. 20 minutes outside of Lynchburg. 1 1/2 hours from Richmond. I'll actually be staying in Richmond starting next Sunday for a 9 week training 😔
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #2326: Apr 17, 2023 03:08:03 am
      Appomattox. 20 minutes outside of Lynchburg. 1 1/2 hours from Richmond. I'll actually be staying in Richmond starting next Sunday for a 9 week training 😔

Lived in Richmond and then Charlottesville (Fluvanna County) for about 6 years.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 1100 
      Reply #2327: Apr 17, 2023 03:11:13 am
      Lived in Richmond and then Charlottesville (Fluvanna County) for about 6 years.
      Hell yeah. The only good thing about staying up there Monday-Friday is I will catch few games at Penny Lane Pub (LFC bar). We just played in Cville yesterday
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,105 posts | 2736 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2328: Apr 17, 2023 08:37:31 am
      Looking more and more like our Midfield 3 next season will look something along the lines of Hendo/Fab/Thiago  :mad: :mad:

If we do, gonna wait for the obligatory photo outside Melwood before getting excited!

No no no, you’re getting a couple but don’t think it will be enough and also won’t  be of the quality most of you are looking for, will be a improvement though but till you know who it’s second guessing.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #2330: Apr 17, 2023 01:47:50 pm
      How in the hell would a journalist know about a recruitment meeting :lmao:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #2332: Apr 18, 2023 03:24:54 am
      I need to watch TAA play that new position a bit more to understand it further and also see how the players around him are deployed. From what I saw today (or think I saw), Henderson seems to sit much higher than he usually would be, Jones is a bit deeper and wider, TAA slots in between him and Fabinho although he doesn't always match their positional height on the pitch and seems to be given some freedom to go higher or lower depending on the situation and the call he makes.

My point is that if this is going to be the way we play going forward then I think we might see one of the midfielders we target be someone with a profile matching a bit more one of a CAM. The reason I say that is that I usually dismiss any rumour linking us to players who are very clearly CAMs or CMs with attributes that ressemble those of a CAM too much. While I still think that we won't go for an outright CAM (that type of player is too luxurious for the system we play), I think one of the CM's we'll go for might have those CAM attributes.

To illustrate my point, I don't see us, for example, going for a Maddison type of player, but I would see us go for a Mount type. Both aren't ideal CMs as far as I'm concerned (for our system), but the latter presses better and is more comfortable than the former in the middle of the fray. Maddison is a luxury player you put in the hole or on the wing, but the deeper you pull him, the less you get from him because he doesn't press too good from what I've seen and he won't beat the opposition press for you in that middle area.

All in all, if we keep that setup with Trent tucking into the midfield and pulling strings from deep then one of the LCM or RCM will have a higher starting position (like Hendo did today) and therefore I think one of our midfield targets will be a player that sounds like that:  a player that is primarily a CM which means that he can help with the press, winning the ball back and tracking (implies lots of stamina) but also possesses some CAM attributes like the ability to manoeuvre in tight areas, run with the ball at feet and drift into winger areas and still be comfortable with the ball at his feet. Essentially, a healthy Keita although we can afford that player to be a tiny bit less effective at tackling because like we saw today, this shift in our formation implies a lower sitting LCM partnering up with the CDM, a free flowing Trent what will be tracking back and a very active sweeper CB (Konate).

Essentially, we seem to be moving back our press by a few yards by crowding that midfield and enabling Trent in exchange of leaving the right wing a bit more airy which will require a versatile RCM to cover that space with Konate, but also offer something going forward in what will be tight areas (half spaces and in front of the opposition box). Why are we moving back our press a few yards? Essentially, the forwards. I reiterate what I said a ton in the other threads, the forwards have been blamed for a lack of goals all season when their true crime has been the quality of their press. That's where our problems start. Them not scoring goals is not even in their control once you can't win the ball back high up the pitch (our main creative vehicle).   
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 1100 
      Reply #2333: Apr 18, 2023 04:52:21 am
      I need to watch TAA play that new position a bit more to understand it further and also see how the players around him are deployed. From what I saw today (or think I saw), Henderson seems to sit much higher than he usually would be, Jones is a bit deeper and wider, TAA slots in between him and Fabinho although he doesn't always match their positional height on the pitch and seems to be given some freedom to go higher or lower depending on the situation and the call he makes.

My point is that if this is going to be the way we play going forward then I think we might see one of the midfielders we target be someone with a profile matching a bit more one of a CAM. The reason I say that is that I usually dismiss any rumour linking us to players who are very clearly CAMs or CMs with attributes that ressemble those of a CAM too much. While I still think that we won't go for an outright CAM (that type of player is too luxurious for the system we play), I think one of the CM's we'll go for might have those CAM attributes.

To illustrate my point, I don't see us, for example, going for a Maddison type of player, but I would see us go for a Mount type. Both aren't ideal CMs as far as I'm concerned (for our system), but the latter presses better and is more comfortable than the former in the middle of the fray. Maddison is a luxury player you put in the hole or on the wing, but the deeper you pull him, the less you get from him because he doesn't press too good from what I've seen and he won't beat the opposition press for you in that middle area.

All in all, if we keep that setup with Trent tucking into the midfield and pulling strings from deep then one of the LCM or RCM will have a higher starting position (like Hendo did today) and therefore I think one of our midfield targets will be a player that sounds like that:  a player that is primarily a CM which means that he can help with the press, winning the ball back and tracking (implies lots of stamina) but also possesses some CAM attributes like the ability to manoeuvre in tight areas, run with the ball at feet and drift into winger areas and still be comfortable with the ball at his feet. Essentially, a healthy Keita although we can afford that player to be a tiny bit less effective at tackling because like we saw today, this shift in our formation implies a lower sitting LCM partnering up with the CDM, a free flowing Trent what will be tracking back and a very active sweeper CB (Konate).

Essentially, we seem to be moving back our press by a few yards by crowding that midfield and enabling Trent in exchange of leaving the right wing a bit more airy which will require a versatile RCM to cover that space with Konate, but also offer something going forward in what will be tight areas (half spaces and in front of the opposition box). Why are we moving back our press a few yards? Essentially, the forwards. I reiterate what I said a ton in the other threads, the forwards have been blamed for a lack of goals all season when their true crime has been the quality of their press. That's where our problems start. Them not scoring goals is not even in their control once you can't win the ball back high up the pitch (our main creative vehicle).
      Take a bow. Awesome post. Couldn't have said it better, though I'm not sure I quite understand it haha. Not because of you, but like you said in the beginning, I need more time to digest this new wrinkle. Some times it looked like a 4-3-3. Then a 3-2-2-3? Maybe a 3-4-3. I don't know F***ing know. I'm still drunk 🥴
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2334: Apr 18, 2023 09:03:33 am

or, Bajetic, Jones & Elliott

Just to annoy the wee Tweeter kids. l o l
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #2336: Apr 18, 2023 09:24:12 pm
      just stay away from Gallagher...useless and average player
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #2337: Apr 18, 2023 09:38:35 pm

Got to agree not sold.on the idea of him
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,231 posts | 1222 
      Reply #2338: Apr 18, 2023 11:10:28 pm

Yup, not convinced. Nothing more than a good squad player at that level  Surprised Mount can't get in the team tbh.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 1100 
      Reply #2339: Apr 19, 2023 12:56:37 am
      Poor man's Jacob Ramsey
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2340: Apr 21, 2023 08:05:30 pm
      Yup, not convinced. Nothing more than a good squad player at that level  Surprised Mount can't get in the team tbh.

I wonder if he's being left out bcz he hasn't signed a new deal.
      rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #2341: Apr 22, 2023 12:03:22 pm
      Be all over that Lavia at Southampton
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #2342: Apr 23, 2023 01:55:23 pm
      Be all over that Lavia at Southampton
      I haven't watched him play (so I have no idea how he's like), but I've seen his name mentioned a lot recently. Apparently he just moved there from City and they have a buy back option on him for something like 40m or so.
      rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #2343: Apr 23, 2023 03:27:18 pm
      I haven't watched him play (so I have no idea how he's like), but I've seen his name mentioned a lot recently. Apparently he just moved there from City and they have a buy back option on him for something like 40m or so.

Oh right doesn't surprise me can see him taking over from Rodri once more experienced
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 1100 
      Reply #2344: Apr 23, 2023 06:33:20 pm
      Caicedo Mac Callister are the real deal. Bossing this United team. Would LOVE either, but I'd prefer Caicedo
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,412 posts | 2835 
      Reply #2345: Apr 23, 2023 07:28:42 pm
      Caicedo Mac Callister are the real deal. Bossing this United team. Would LOVE either, but I'd prefer Caicedo

Both were excellent today, Brighton would have won comfortably with a bit of composure in the final third.

If we weren't so desperate for homegrown players I would have said pay whatever Brighton want for those two and that's the midfield sorted.

Quick Reply