Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Scouting talk

Read 332048 times
      Emlyn Hughes and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Scouting talk
      Reply #3220: Jun 24, 2023 09:35:29 pm
      Yeah apparently he's a massive Milan fan.

There was a lot of hype around him when he was a youngster at Brescia, a FM wonderkid and all that, lots of comparisons with Pirlo (who also started at Brescia) but he's probably more Gattuso than Pirlo, his passing isn't half as good as Pirlo's using his weaker foot.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 1100 
      Reply #3221: Jun 24, 2023 10:56:24 pm
      Cheisa rumors seem to be getting louder. That's an odd one
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #3222: Jun 24, 2023 11:40:18 pm

Yea, not really an area of need unless Salah is leaving.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #3223: Jun 25, 2023 07:57:47 am
      I really don't see anything special in Sandro Tonali. Sub par defensively and his passing isn't great for a midfielder. He's an ok player. Wouldn't have expected us to have ever considered him

I’ve not seen him play but I’ve got an aversion to signing players from Serie A full stop. The difference between the two leagues is so stark, I can’t think of many players who have transitioned well to the EPL and very few Italians for that matter.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #3224: Jun 25, 2023 12:26:46 pm
      I’ve not seen him play but I’ve got an aversion to signing players from Serie A full stop. The difference between the two leagues is so stark, I can’t think of many players who have transitioned well to the EPL and very few Italians for that matter.

I bet a couple of Arsenal and Chelsea fans can though with Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Zola, Di Matteo, Desailly & Rudiger
      all coming from Italian clubs. Even David Platt came back to England from Italy and had a decent time at Highbury.

Ravanelli was idolised by Boro fans, especially after his hatrick on his debut against us and Forest fans loved Bryan Roy during his time there in the mid 90s after moving over from Serie A. Martin Laurssen who was another who had a good solid career here after moving from italy - was linked heavily with the big clubs during his time at Villa before injuries ruined his career. Shaqiri had a similar relationship with the Stoke fans following his move from Inter, as did Coutinho when we brought him here.

Silvestre was never the greatest but had a successful career at United as did Van Der Sar who moved to the Premier League from Juve. And Cancelo did alright for himself on the other side of Manchester.

And of course there's some little Egyptian King called Mo Salah who's done quite well as has his Brazilian team-mate Alisson.

Granted there's also been plenty of flops an all like Crespo, Mutu, Dossena, Aquilani, Pogba, Lukaku etc.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2023 12:32:34 pm by dunlop liddell shankly »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #3225: Jun 25, 2023 12:59:05 pm
      I don't want to see Robbos role reduced, but in that system I don't see where he fits. I'm obviously a huge Robbo admirer, but I think I look objectively enough when I say he had a good season last year, all things considered. I'd like to see us stick with a 4-3-3 and bring in a solid RB to push TAA up field for good. We need Robbos energy, tenacity, leadership, and overall skill to get back to where we were IMO

Agreed, but unfortunately I think robbo is gonna have to play a wee bit deeper sometimes.  But we shall see. All very interesting

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #3226: Jun 25, 2023 03:09:33 pm
      I see Chelsea is selling half the team to Saudi clubs. Under current FFP rules (and the total lack of enforcement) this probably means that they can spend another 600M this summer and they should be A-Okay. Good stuff
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #3227: Jun 25, 2023 06:02:49 pm
      I see Chelsea is selling half the team to Saudi clubs. Under current FFP rules (and the total lack of enforcement) this probably means that they can spend another 600M this summer and they should be A-Okay. Good stuff

And possibly they can get the players they sold loaned back to them for a low cost too?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 1100 
      Reply #3228: Jun 25, 2023 06:17:42 pm
      Yea, not really an area of need unless Salah is leaving.
      Is he left footed? I guess I could look it up, and in the time it took to type this. Oh well, will get you to do the work for me  :lmao:
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #3229: Jun 25, 2023 06:18:17 pm

Think a lot of it is getting rid of high wages , the Saudis don’t seem to be paying high transfer fees

Chelsea at the moment are using long contracts to get past FFP but it’s prob a loophole they will look to close
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #3230: Jun 25, 2023 06:21:03 pm

70 missed games over the past 3 years - good player but can’t see the need
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #3231: Jun 25, 2023 06:51:01 pm
      And possibly they can get the players they sold loaned back to them for a low cost too?
      *Chef's kiss*

Think a lot of it is getting rid of high wages , the Saudis don’t seem to be paying high transfer fees

Chelsea at the moment are using long contracts to get past FFP but it’s prob a loophole they will look to close
      According to Transfermarkt, for the 22/23 season, they have spent 611M (USD) and sold for 68M (USD). I think we're way past the loopholes now. In one season a team spends more than a half a billion dollars just on transfer fees. Not talking wages yet, not talking pesky agent and ''my dad needs pocket money'' fees.

Its all gone to sh*t. 

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #3232: Jun 25, 2023 06:56:07 pm
      *Chef's kiss*
      According to Transfermarkt, for the 22/23 season, they have spent 611M (USD) and sold for 68M (USD). I think we're way past the loopholes now. In one season a team spends more than a half a billion dollars just on transfer fees. Not talking wages yet, not talking pesky agent and ''my dad needs pocket money'' fees.

Its all gone to sh*t.

When it comes to the accounts the fee though is amortised across the length of the contract , which is why the players are getting 7 year contracts - so the whilst the fee for example maybe £70mil- for accounting purposes it’s spread across the 7 years so the spend is £10mil a year

Believe it’s why UEFA are looking to make the maximum length of a contract 5 years
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,359 posts | 6399 
      Reply #3233: Jun 25, 2023 07:09:11 pm
      What UEFA should do is apply real penalties for clubs that blatantly breach the rules. Everyone knows who’s cheating and yet they don’t get punished. Until that happens, clubs will do things to get around it.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,507 posts | 222 
      Reply #3234: Jun 25, 2023 09:01:28 pm
      It will bite Chelsea in the long run as as times goes on, they won’t be able to spend that much as they have a lot of long term contracts

Pretty sure they will have future windows with 1 or no players

They aren’t in the cl so their revenues will be lower, and also they are not getting huge fees and spent a heck of a lot more. They are not a problem imo

KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,507 posts | 222 
      Reply #3235: Jun 25, 2023 09:03:43 pm
      What UEFA should do is apply real penalties for clubs that blatantly breach the rules. Everyone knows who’s cheating and yet they don’t get punished. Until that happens, clubs will do things to get around it.

Currently rules are not fit for purpose, for example there is a time bar

Look at city, they got awya with it due to how long uefa took. Premier league doesn’t have that hence the charges

Chelsea will have to be very very selective and if they don’t get on the cl, we know they won’t be able to hardly spend next summer for example. I’m pretty sure the owner said they have bought players so little business needs to be done in the next 5 years or something

That’s not how football works, Chelsea will be getting burned big time imo
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #3236: Jun 25, 2023 11:27:44 pm
      I bet a couple of Arsenal and Chelsea fans can though with Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira, Zola, Di Matteo, Desailly & Rudiger
      all coming from Italian clubs. Even David Platt came back to England from Italy and had a decent time at Highbury.

Ravanelli was idolised by Boro fans, especially after his hatrick on his debut against us and Forest fans loved Bryan Roy during his time there in the mid 90s after moving over from Serie A. Martin Laurssen who was another who had a good solid career here after moving from italy - was linked heavily with the big clubs during his time at Villa before injuries ruined his career. Shaqiri had a similar relationship with the Stoke fans following his move from Inter, as did Coutinho when we brought him here.

Silvestre was never the greatest but had a successful career at United as did Van Der Sar who moved to the Premier League from Juve. And Cancelo did alright for himself on the other side of Manchester.

And of course there's some little Egyptian King called Mo Salah who's done quite well as has his Brazilian team-mate Alisson.

Granted there's also been plenty of flops an all like Crespo, Mutu, Dossena, Aquilani, Pogba, Lukaku etc.

Good little list there! I should probably reframe that to Italian players. I can't recall we've had much success on that front. Aquilani, Dosenna and Borini. Can't think of any others off-hand.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 840 posts | 302 
      Reply #3237: Jun 25, 2023 11:47:47 pm
      When it comes to the accounts the fee though is amortised across the length of the contract , which is why the players are getting 7 year contracts - so the whilst the fee for example maybe £70mil- for accounting purposes it’s spread across the 7 years so the spend is £10mil a year

Believe it’s why UEFA are looking to make the maximum length of a contract 5 years

I thought that UEFAs plan is to reduce the amount of time the fee can be amortised would be 5 years. I don't think they could stop Chelsea giving players 7/8 year contracts, although the only reason they have done that is probably to take advantage of the loophole.

I've been reading some suggestions that PIF have a significant investment in Clearlake who are the primary investors in Chelsea. So is this another way to get around FFP? How many other teams would pay £20m for Koulibaly? He was a great player 2 seasons ago but has been poor since AFCON.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #3238: Jun 26, 2023 11:24:53 am
      Good little list there! I should probably reframe that to Italian players. I can't recall we've had much success on that front. Aquilani, Dosenna and Borini. Can't think of any others off-hand.

How easy they forget Mario Balotelli!!!

Paletta also plays for Italy now (or did, he might of retired for all I know) but when we bought him he was an Argentine. And we also had that young keeper Padelli who we might of played against in Europe.

But you're right mate, we don't have a great track record when signing Italians.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,932 posts | 283 
      Reply #3239: Jun 26, 2023 11:54:54 am
      Italy a bit similar to England in years gone by, doesn’t seem to export many players. Bar Jorginho, Donarumma, Veratti can’t really think of any outside Serie A.
      Definitely reversed a trend as remember Zola, Vialli, Ravonelli, Di Canio tearing up the league when started out watching the Prem. Can only hope Barella is the exception, seems like we just freed up his shirt number too!

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/1673269876201324544?s=46&t=U928mbyJVU4bHRbp3ql3aQ
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #3240: Jun 26, 2023 11:55:09 am
      How easy they forget Mario Balotelli!!!

Paletta also plays for Italy now (or did, he might of retired for all I know) but when we bought him he was an Argentine. And we also had that young keeper Padelli who we might of played against in Europe.

But you're right mate, we don't have a great track record when signing Italians.

I think there is always a risk signing from abroad and I’m guessing he state won’t point to any specific issues from some countries - but it seems that players from France and Portugal seem to do well in the Prem but that might just be perception.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #3241: Jun 26, 2023 12:09:20 pm
      I think there is always a risk signing from abroad and I’m guessing he state won’t point to any specific issues from some countries - but it seems that players from France and Portugal seem to do well in the Prem but that might just be perception.

There's risk in any transfer mate, whether that be signing a complete nobody from abroad or what should be a nailed on cert from another Premier League club.

It's one reason I don't actually get caught up in all the transfer gossip. You see some frothing at the mouth as to how we should get this player or why are we linked with that player or why aren't we going for the player other clubs are etc etc. There's countless examples of players not working out, even when every man and his dog said they should and just as many examples of nobodies turning out to be superstars.

Look at somebody like Andy Robertson, 8 million from a relegated team who couldn't get ahead of Alberto Moreno for fucks sake for the first six months of his Liverpool career. Written off by plenty of Liverpool fans before he'd even had a chance to show his worth. Now, he's probably up there with one of our greatest ever bargains. Switch it round to say Dean Saunders, who we paid a record transfer fee at the time (3 million - god times have changed haven't they?) and within twelve months he's sold to Villa taking half a million loss.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,136 posts | 3464 
      Reply #3242: Jun 26, 2023 12:32:12 pm
      There's risk in any transfer mate, whether that be signing a complete nobody from abroad or what should be a nailed on cert from another Premier League club.

It's one reason I don't actually get caught up in all the transfer gossip. You see some frothing at the mouth as to how we should get this player or why are we linked with that player or why aren't we going for the player other clubs are etc etc. There's countless examples of players not working out, even when every man and his dog said they should and just as many examples of nobodies turning out to be superstars.

Look at somebody like Andy Robertson, 8 million from a relegated team who couldn't get ahead of Alberto Moreno for fucks sake for the first six months of his Liverpool career. Written off by plenty of Liverpool fans before he'd even had a chance to show his worth. Now, he's probably up there with one of our greatest ever bargains. Switch it round to say Dean Saunders, who we paid a record transfer fee at the time (3 million - god times have changed haven't they?) and within twelve months he's sold to Villa taking half a million loss.

You are spot on mate

Look at Veron - the best midfielder in the world at the time Man Utd bought him - shocking in the Prem , Pogba another example

We could go on

Far too many get sucked in by the price tag - already seen people being dismissive of MacAllister because he only cost £35mil and not £100mil

Quick Reply