Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Mo Salah - Somewhere Else

Read 28614 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 895 
      Re: Mo Salah - Somewhere Else
      Reply #138: Jan 17, 2022 05:46:22 pm
      The club will never look at individuals - it will always look at the team structure, we can call him the best in the world but to the manager he is a key player within the club just like VVD etc , VVD and Allisons impact on the team is just as important as Salah.

We canā€™t start being like Barce , Utd etc and start to splash out on ludicrous wages for single players because it starts to Mount up.

The club wonā€™t be looking at what other clubs pay their players - it doesnā€™t matter if Sancho is vastly overpaid - we arenā€™t going to do that.

Take Varane for example - he is paid Ā£350k a well - should we be paying VVD more because he is a far better player ? It doesnā€™t work like that

Salah will be offered the wage they believe is right within the financial structure of the club - its a structure that  no other player appears to currently have an issue with

And itā€™s not about ā€œsavingā€ wages.

I dont think the club see him as another player for the club, and the club and Klopp probably knows that Mo has carried this team alone this season. We both know that club values Mo more then VVD and Alisson. If Mo signs new contract the mew wage will probably reflect that.
      I think we can pay wages like united and Barca, because we compete with them on and off the pitch. Our brand name is more and less like them.

Its down to wages and saving money. Its not a principal issue at all. It starts with money and ends with it. Simple as that.

If VVD did want to sign a new contract, then you have to see what he is worth and what other players are paying for a similar player. Thats nothing anybody can do about. Its the direction this game has gone in. Its not like the clubs arent getting any money.

I dont think we will ever agree on this one mate, i for one hope that we keep Mo and pay him what he is worth. Doesnt matter what the structure owners have put there, that structure cant exist with world class players in the team. Il choose world class players that hopefully bring more trophies.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #139: Jan 17, 2022 05:50:11 pm

Maybe read back at first what I posted about the potential issues of giving Salah a contract that is potentially double what anyone else in the club is earning

Yea I remember what you said, problem is you throw so many cliches out there that you can't keep track of what you are arguing from one thread to the other. If these players are happy with their contracts, then Mo getting a bigger one isn't going to affect them.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 895 
      Reply #140: Jan 17, 2022 05:51:15 pm
      I don't think anyone one here has said that?

Personally I've said sign him up but I do think there will be a limit to what we offer him.

Unless you want us to be approaching wages to 100% of turnover then there will be a limit to what we can and will offer him based on our other outgoings.

So I don't think any fan is thinking about saving money just looking at what might be any obstacles to us offering a salary north of Ā£400K a week.

I dont think anyone has said that directly no. The posts i have written are based on the "leaks" that Mo wants 500k. Dont know its true but i think he is worth it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #141: Jan 17, 2022 05:55:06 pm
      I dont think anyone has said that directly no. The posts i have written are based on the "leaks" that Mo wants 500k. Dont know its true but i think he is worth it.

There is worth it and there is being able to pay it. Two very different things.

I have a feeling that with the impact of the pandemic we wouldn't be in a position to offer that and keep our wage bill at a reasonable level in relation to turnover.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,203 posts | 3478 
      Reply #142: Jan 17, 2022 05:56:37 pm
      I dont think the club see him as another player for the club, and the club and Klopp probably knows that Mo has carried this team alone this season. We both know that club values Mo more then VVD and Alisson. If Mo signs new contract the mew wage will probably reflect that.
      I think we can pay wages like united and Barca, because we compete with them on and off the pitch. Our brand name is more and less like them.

Its down to wages and saving money. Its not a principal issue at all. It starts with money and ends with it. Simple as that.

If VVD did want to sign a new contract, then you have to see what he is worth and what other players are paying for a similar player. Thats nothing anybody can do about. Its the direction this game has gone in. Its not like the clubs arent getting any money.

I dont think we will ever agree on this one mate, i for one hope that we keep Mo and pay him what he is worth. Doesnt matter what the structure owners have put there, that structure cant exist with world class players in the team. Il choose world class players that hopefully bring more trophies.

Currently the wage bill is 75% of the commercial  - we always have to take that into consideration when it comes to new contracts - not what other clubs are paying

If we paid the same wages as Utd and Barcelona then itā€™s going to push the overall wage bill close to 100% of the commercial income -

We donā€™t compete with the off the pitch yet - itā€™s getting closer

VVD signed a new contract in August/September time

And itā€™s not about saving money itā€™s about keeping the spending within the means of the club. We can offer big wages but then that starts to eat into what other areas the club can spend on

And you will always need to have a wage structure to ensure the club doesnā€™t spend outside its means

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #143: Jan 17, 2022 05:57:27 pm
      I don't think anyone one here has said that?

Personally I've said sign him up but I do think there will be a limit to what we offer him.

Unless you want us to be approaching wages to 100% of turnover then there will be a limit to what we can and will offer him based on our other outgoings.

So I don't think any fan is thinking about saving money just looking at what might be any obstacles to us offering a salary north of Ā£400K a week.

400k per week is what...21m per year?

So over 4 years that's an 84m expenditure.

Do we really think we could sign a player of his caliber (or soon to be his caliber) as a replacement right now for 84m? I don't think we could, not to mention, on top of that 84m, you then need to pay a salary which for a player of that caliber will be.....200-250k per week. So now we are at 10.4m per year on top of the 84m transfer fee.

I'm just not really sure where people are getting that we can't afford to pay him 400+. We absolutely can afford to pay him that. We have a world class player, who's value is almost impossible to determine because of his intangible effect on our play and on the outcomes of games, we don't have to pay a transfer fee to keep him, we just need to extend his contract and pay him a much higher salary and yet for some reason the club haven't already buttoned this up. It literally doesn't make any sense.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,203 posts | 3478 
      Reply #144: Jan 17, 2022 05:59:32 pm
      Yea I remember what you said, problem is you throw so many cliches out there that you can't keep track of what you are arguing from one thread to the other. If these players are happy with their contracts, then Mo getting a bigger one isn't going to affect them.

Yes they were happy when they signed their contracts - that could easily change if the club suddenly give one player more than double any of them - just because they were happy when they signed doesnā€™t mean itā€™s always going to be there

Some players could also have clauses about being within a certain distance of the highest paid etc

Itā€™s not always as simple as give a player Ā£500k and all is well
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 895 
      Reply #145: Jan 17, 2022 05:59:56 pm
      There is worth it and there is being able to pay it. Two very different things.

I have a feeling that with the impact of the pandemic we wouldn't be in a position to offer that and keep our wage bill at a reasonable level in relation to turnover.

Im not a financial expert, so i wont try to pretend like i am. If you guys tell me that Liverpool cant afford 500K for worlds best player then i will shut up.
      I fear that we are becoming Arse under Wenger. Happy with 4th, letting our players go because we refuse to offer what they should be paid. It took them out of CL to realize that they fu**ed up.
      Has anyone data on how big is our wage bill and our total income (sales, tv-rights, league position and CL money)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #146: Jan 17, 2022 06:00:16 pm
      It's pretty simple for me.

He will he offered a fantastic salary that will have him among the best paid players in the league, and likely then the world, and if he doesn't sign it then it'll be because he feels he's worth more.

That's fair enough and no one can argue with Mo on that but we still as a club have to work to whatever budget it is and if that salary he wants is beyond what we can and will pay he will either be sold or leave in a free.

Now no one wants the best player in the world to leave but it's not as simple as just saying 'you don't get rid of the best player in the world, and we moved on before when star players have left and we will do so again if this does happen.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,203 posts | 3478 
      Reply #147: Jan 17, 2022 06:01:10 pm
      It's pretty simple for me.

He will he offered a fantastic salary that will have him among the best paid players in the league, and likely then the world, and if he doesn't sign it then it'll be because he feels he's worth more.

That's fair enough and no one can argue with Mo on that but we still as a club have to work to whatever budget it is and if that salary he wants is beyond what we can and will pay he will either be sold or leave in a free.

Now no one wants the best player in the world to leave but it's not as simple as just saying 'you don't get rid of the best player in the world, and we moved on before when star players have left and we will do so again if this does happen.

Summed it up well
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #148: Jan 17, 2022 06:05:48 pm
      Im not a financial expert, so i wont try to pretend like i am. If you guys tell me that Liverpool cant afford 500K for worlds best player then i will shut up.
      I fear that we are becoming Arse under Wenger. Happy with 4th, letting our players go because we refuse to offer what they should be paid. It took them out of CL to realize that they fu**ed up.
      Has anyone data on how big is our wage bill and our total income (sales, tv-rights, league position and CL money)

Last accounts wage bill was around 67% of total turnover if I recall mate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #149: Jan 17, 2022 06:07:16 pm
      Yes they were happy when they signed their contracts - that could easily change if the club suddenly give one player more than double any of them - just because they were happy when they signed doesnā€™t mean itā€™s always going to be there
      But that's not what you said to Billo when he said they may ask for more money. You told him they were happy when they signed their contracts. So if it could easily change then he's absolutely right isn't he?

Some players could also have clauses about being within a certain distance of the highest paid etc
      I guess we'll have to take your word for it as I've never, ever heard of or been given an example of this and you'd have no way to know that any of our players have this clause, so in essence, it's a weird argument to protect the club from any negative feedback if they decide to try and stiff Salah on what he wants.

Itā€™s not always as simple as give a player Ā£500k and all is well

Amazingly it often is, that's why there are so many players that move around from club to club. Because typically, if you meet a player's demands, you can often convince them to play for you.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,203 posts | 3478 
      Reply #150: Jan 17, 2022 06:11:08 pm

The last accounts had the overall income drop to Ā£490mil and the wage bill increase to Ā£330mil

We overall made a loss of Ā£50mil
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,203 posts | 3478 
      Reply #151: Jan 17, 2022 06:14:28 pm
      But that's not what you said to Billo when he said they may ask for more money. You told him they were happy when they signed their contracts. So if it could easily change then he's absolutely right isn't he?
        I guess we'll have to take your word for it as I've never, ever heard of or been given an example of this and you'd have no way to know that any of our players have this clause, so in essence, it's a weird argument to protect the club from any negative feedback if they decide to try and stiff Salah on what he wants.

Amazingly it often is, that's why there are so many players that move around from club to club. Because typically, if you meet a player's demands, you can often convince them to play for you.

Yes they were happy when they signed their new contracts 6 months ago

And no itā€™s not as simple as just giving any player what he wants - thatā€™s the sort of attitude that has crippled clubs in the past.

But I think we know you do really care about any potential financial impacts on the club
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #152: Jan 17, 2022 06:20:20 pm

Yes they were happy when they signed their new contracts 6 months ago

And no itā€™s not as simple as just giving any player what he wants - thatā€™s the sort of attitude that has crippled clubs in the past.

But I think we know you do really care about any potential financial impacts on the club

That's not entirely true, I'm not as doom and gloom as you are about the finances but it doesn't mean I don't understand the importance of being prudent. You like to paint it as a black and white picture that somehow the club is so skint that if we ever make one buy that doesn't work out or if we take one financial risk that doesn't pay off, we are going to go into administration. That's simply not true at all. Manchester United has been playing fast and loose with their debt for decades now and they aren't going into administration. I'm not saying we should be run like them, I'm just saying this strict adherence to the FSG "model" isn't entirely necessary to keep us solvent. There are infinite appropriate ways to financially run a football club, FSG doesn't have a monopoly on good stewardship. And if it's going to upset the entire apple cart to re-sign the best player in the world, then what is the use of developing players to be the best in the world? We might as well be Dortmund or Ajax or Red Bull or one of the other clubs that create great players and then sell them on because they don't have the means to afford to keep them.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #153: Jan 17, 2022 06:23:49 pm
      The last accounts had the overall income drop to Ā£490mil and the wage bill increase to Ā£330mil

We overall made a loss of Ā£50mil
      Thatā€™s the trouble with millionaires, if they make ten million one year and only nine the following they count it as a loss, same as your doing , we didnā€™t lose 50 million , we didnā€™t have it to lose , we still made a lot of money just not as much as the previous year , if we were spending way over the top of what we are earning, I could see your point , but we aint and havnt for a long time , this squad needs a big injection to think otherwise , is folly , we should be adding a starter every window to keep the squad evolving , thatā€™s how you stay at or near the top .
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,203 posts | 3478 
      Reply #154: Jan 17, 2022 06:26:26 pm
      Thatā€™s the trouble with millionaires, if they make ten million one year and only nine the following they count it as a loss, same as your doing , we didnā€™t lose 50 million , we didnā€™t have it to lose , we still made a lot of money just not as much as the previous year , if we were spending way over the top of what we are earning, I could see your point , but we aint and havnt for a long time , this squad needs a big injection to think otherwise , is folly , we should be adding a starter every window to keep the squad evolving , thatā€™s how you stay at or near the top .

The club made a loss in the accounts - we spent more than we earned during that financial year
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,472 posts | 4593 
      Reply #155: Jan 17, 2022 06:28:29 pm
      Iā€™m Gobsmacked that these owners would pay Ā£330 million on player wages & bonusesā€¦

Would love to see individuals player wage, bonuses breakdownā€¦

Anyone helpā€¦.?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #156: Jan 17, 2022 06:31:26 pm
      Iā€™m Gobsmacked that these owners would pay Ā£330 million on player wages & bonusesā€¦

Anyone helpā€¦.?

F**k me not this again.

I'm pretty sure it's been explained before that the wage bill in the accounts is for all staff at the club the same way other clubs report their accounts.

The accounts are there in any Google search for you to have a look yourself Shabs
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,406 posts | 6411 
      Reply #157: Jan 17, 2022 06:36:24 pm

Anyone helpā€¦.?

approximately 130m of that is for  1st team player wages. Don't know the breakdown for bonuses or what other staff make.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,472 posts | 4593 
      Reply #158: Jan 17, 2022 06:39:00 pm
      approximately 130m of that is for  1st team player wages. Don't know the breakdown for bonuses or what other staff make.

The other Ā£210 million is an awful lot of money paid out to players for bonuses by owners who donā€™t like to award big contractsā€¦

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,318 posts | 4956 
      Reply #159: Jan 17, 2022 06:41:50 pm
      The other Ā£210 million is an awful lot of money paid out to players for bonuses by owners who donā€™t like to award big contractsā€¦

It's would be if it was just players.

But I'll try again.

There are over 800 employees that have to be paid.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,472 posts | 4593 
      Reply #160: Jan 17, 2022 06:49:12 pm
      It's would be if it was just players.

But I'll try again.

There are over 800 employees that have to be paid.

We are lead to believe the highest wage bill is all on players wagesā€¦.

I guess all 800 employees have lucrative contractsā€¦

Quick Reply