Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League

Read 31773 times
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Re: Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League
      Reply #69: Apr 21, 2021 09:46:37 am

Depends on what the greed is for

Was the greed for money so they can pocket it or so that they can invest more into the club and the team

The owners have only ever taken a wage out of the club and that’s

Money earned is money spent - so yes greed for wanting more money but was that more money so that the club could continue to challenge amongst the imbalance of oil money to look to get players like Haaland etc

Whilst I agree to an extent that they haven’t taken money from the club directly and that their plan was to buy low, build up and sell high, do you genuinely think that the fundamental thought process being the SL was so we could spend more money on players?

I don’t, and to be honest I don’t really have an issue with them fattening up the club for eventual profit but do it the right way, don’t do something so big that it fundamentally changes not only the club but the sport overall, that’s such a misjudgement for me, that’s worse than trying to Fleece fans for £77 a ticket because that simply living in their ivory towers and misjudging the people who live in the area who don’t have £77 to spare a week, yes that is bad but that’s just the rich not understanding the working class. This is a fundamental opportunistic attempt to make more money and not caring that they stamp all over the traditions of the sport let alone the club

The thought that this would bridge the gap to the oil money rich clubs is fanciful because not only do they have that and we don’t they will be joining this cash cow with us so the distance remains the same. So yes we may be able to get a Haaland at current market rates if we alone had that cash boost from the SL but those market rates would go up and up and up because the oil rich clubs now have the SL boost too and the likes of Dortmund will up their asking price so they get a slice of that money and his agent will then ask for 500k a week rather than 300k because of that inflation in the market

I don’t think for a second they thought this would bridge the gap it would just them them richer and it’s naive to think so

This wouldn’t have made us close the gap on City it would just have made us extend it from Newcastle, Villa and Everton
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #70: Apr 21, 2021 09:51:29 am
      Whilst I agree to an extent that they haven’t taken money from the club directly and that their plan was to buy low, build up and sell high, do you genuinely think that the fundamental thought process being the SL was so we could spend more money on players?

I don’t, and to be honest I don’t really have an issue with them fattening up the club for eventual profit but do it the right way, don’t do something so big that it fundamentally changes not only the club but the sport overall, that’s such a misjudgement for me, that’s worse than trying to Fleece fans for £77 a ticket because that simply living in their ivory towers and misjudging the people who live in the area who don’t have £77 to spare a week, yes that is bad but that’s just the rich not understanding the working class. This is a fundamental opportunistic attempt to make more money and not caring that they stamp all over the traditions of the sport let alone the club

The thought that this would bridge the gap to the oil money rich clubs is fanciful because not only do they have that and we don’t they will be joining this cash cow with us so the distance remains the same. So yes we may be able to get a Haaland at current market rates if we alone had that cash boost from the SL but those market rates would go up and up and up because the oil rich clubs now have the SL boost too and the likes of Dortmund will up their asking price so they get a slice of that money and his agent will then ask for 500k a week rather than 300k because of that inflation in the market

I don’t think for a second they thought this would bridge the gap it would just them them richer and it’s naive to think so

This wouldn’t have made us close the gap on City it would just have made us extend it from Newcastle, Villa and Everton

So what do you think their plans were for the £350mil a year extra -
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #71: Apr 21, 2021 09:54:01 am
      It is good that this scheme has collapsed and what a complete and utter F**k up it was.  Having said that it doesn't make them bad owners, but just very naïve as to the fans reactions, it was handled very badly.

There were however some good points in the proposal, a salary cap for example is long long overdue, all those complaining about greed in the modern game seem to always ignore the insane transfer fees and vast salaries of players and managers. It is those costs which lead to huge ticket prices, big Sky bills and vastly overpriced merchandise.
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #72: Apr 21, 2021 09:56:26 am

That’s not the point I’m making is it mate, it’s almost irrelevant when all the clubs you say we would then be able to compete with would be getting the money as well

All it would have done is falsely inflate the market across the board again rather than mean we could sign a Haaland
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,064 posts | 2110 
      Reply #73: Apr 21, 2021 10:06:29 am
      As American owners based in Boston with other sports teams to look after, they were never going to be totally in with the Liverpool crowd. It's why we've had such badly misjudged situations and subsequent u turns from them in the past, now and probably for the future. They've badly misjudged this one but fair play to Henry for being the first to front up very publicly, show his face and apologise.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #74: Apr 21, 2021 10:10:21 am
      This superleague shout was the final nail in their coffin, they were already on thin ice.

The fans will get them out.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #75: Apr 21, 2021 10:11:17 am
      That’s not the point I’m making is it mate, it’s almost irrelevant when all the clubs you say we would then be able to compete with would be getting the money as well

All it would have done is falsely inflate the market across the board again rather than mean we could sign a Haaland

The Super League came with rules on spending that includes  wages caps etc - looking at the us model
      L4.19Times
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 149 
      Reply #76: Apr 21, 2021 10:12:51 am
      The Super League came with rules on spending that includes  wages caps etc - looking at the us model

If they could be enforced - and we will never know so it’s a moot point

But if there were spending caps then yes the question would be, what were they going to do with all that extra money 🤷‍♂️

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #77: Apr 21, 2021 10:13:28 am

Are you STILL defending FSG after all this?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #78: Apr 21, 2021 10:16:05 am
      This is one League we certainly did not want to win, or take part. Good on the fans for venting their true feelings, next step to find owners who share the club's true traditions, that is loyalty to their fans.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2845 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #79: Apr 21, 2021 10:37:36 am

Depends on what the greed is for

Was the greed for money so they can pocket it or so that they can invest more into the club and the team

The owners have only ever taken a wage out of the club and that’s

Money earned is money spent - so yes greed for wanting more money but was that more money so that the club could continue to challenge amongst the imbalance of oil money to look to get players like Haaland etc

If they came out publicly and stated the ideas they had then told us why it would be good for the club, why it would be good for football and didnt include it being a locked in league then you can say its not about greed they thought this was a good idea.

The fact this wad done in secret with a select few where they ensured they would forever be locked into the tournament thus earning big money for themselves, thats greed and thats selfish.

Liverpool FC is not here to bail out other clubs and give handouts but its also not here to act in the interest of a select few.

No comeback for these for me now
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #80: Apr 21, 2021 10:53:03 am
      I think some on here are going way over board in the critique of FSG.

- Was this a bad idea? - Yes although there were some good ideas within the SuperLeague including salary caps and level playing field between the top clubs.
      - Was it handled badly? - Yes incredibly badly, in fact I cannot imagine it being done worse.
      - Was it done for the benefit of the club? - Yes I think it probably was, it would have guaranteed a huge revenue stream and some really exciting matches, the massive miscalculation was the closed shop and the fan resistance to that.

- Does it mean FSG have been bad owners? - No not at all, in fact they've been very good owners overall despite a few missteps here and there

Everyone can F**k up from time to time and this is certainly a big F**k up, but lets all chill out for a bit, let the dust settle and then see what we do. One thing is for certain there are much much worse owners out there than FSG so lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,790 posts | 574 
      Reply #81: Apr 21, 2021 10:58:51 am
      This is one League we certainly did not want to win, or take part. Good on the fans for venting their true feelings, next step to find owners who share the club's true traditions, that is loyalty to their fans.

seriously?

you have more chance of finding the holy grail. A billionaire person who cares about tradition over money doesn't exist, and hoping for it is a waste of time. Whatever we think of FSG, they are probably the best of a bad bunch. Would you prefer Roman or Dubai?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2845 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #82: Apr 21, 2021 11:00:24 am
      I think some on here are going way over board in the critique of FSG.

- Was this a bad idea? - Yes although there were some good ideas within the SuperLeague including salary caps and level playing field between the top clubs.
      - Was it handled badly? - Yes incredibly badly, in fact I cannot imagine it being done worse.
      - Was it done for the benefit of the club? - Yes I think it probably was, it would have guaranteed a huge revenue stream and some really exciting matches, the massive miscalculation was the closed shop and the fan resistance to that.

- Does it mean FSG have been bad owners? - No not at all, in fact they've been very good owners overall despite a few missteps here and there

Everyone can f**k up from time to time and this is certainly a big f**k up, but lets all chill out for a bit, let the dust settle and then see what we do. One thing is for certain there are much much worse owners out there than FSG so lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Again Ill admit that apart from one or 2 things along the way I thought they were ok, far worse owners out there and that for the most part they ran the club as they said they would, it was far from perfect but for me it was  how I expected it from what they said at the start.

This though is pure sneakey and greedy. Why did they not consuult with anyone in the club before doing it? Because they knew they would be told dont do it and then what would they do listen or fire ahead to earn the dollars?

Then leaving players and managers to feel the heat was cowardly. Id say they only backed out in the end because they knew with others going it was fooked, not because they wanted it.

How can fans trust them now? How can Jürgen and the players?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #83: Apr 21, 2021 11:00:43 am
      Are you STILL defending FSG after all this?

No one has defended FSG for this so back to your cage
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #84: Apr 21, 2021 11:01:11 am
      If they came out publicly and stated the ideas they had then told us why it would be good for the club, why it would be good for football and didnt include it being a locked in league then you can say its not about greed they thought this was a good idea.

The fact this wad done in secret with a select few where they ensured they would forever be locked into the tournament thus earning big money for themselves, thats greed and thats selfish.

Liverpool FC is not here to bail out other clubs and give handouts but its also not here to act in the interest of a select few.

No comeback for these for me now

So what next ?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #85: Apr 21, 2021 11:02:11 am
      Again Ill admit that apart from one or 2 things along the way I thought they were ok, far worse owners out there and that for the most part they ran the club as they said they would, it was far from perfect but for me it was  how I expected it from what they said at the start.

This though is pure sneakey and greedy. Why did they not consuult with anyone in the club before doing it? Because they knew they would be told dont do it and then what would they do listen or fire ahead to earn the dollars?

Then leaving players and managers to feel the heat was cowardly. Id say they only backed out in the end because they knew with others going it was fooked, not because they wanted it.

How can fans trust them now? How can Jürgen and the players?

The manager and players will be fine - there will be talks between them all and they will move on
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #86: Apr 21, 2021 11:03:01 am
      Chuckled to myself when I heard Guardiola banging on about 'It's not sport when you are guaranteed success.'

Says the man who has probably spent over £1BN on transfers and managed the richest club in every league he's been in.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #87: Apr 21, 2021 11:03:49 am
      Chuckled to myself when I heard Guardiola banging on about 'It's not sport when you are guaranteed success.'

Says the man who has probably spent over £1BN on transfers and managed the richest club in every league he's been in.

There are hypocrites everywhere within the sport and all down to self interest
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #88: Apr 21, 2021 11:09:58 am

There has been such hypocrisy over this, its actually been hilarious, same as multi millionaire ex-footballers waxing lyrical about working class roots and jumpers for goalposts nostalgic twaddlle.

The best was Beckham criticising it whilst his Miami franchise/team sits in a  Closed Shop league exactly like the proposed Super League
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #89: Apr 21, 2021 11:13:51 am

Even after spending £1BN at City it’s hardly bought them the success he & City crave which is the European Cup...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #90: Apr 21, 2021 11:17:13 am
      Even after spending £1BN at City it’s hardly bought them the success he & City crave which is the European Cup...

You could argue the same for PSG, Winning the CL is very very hard to do, and you need a good slice of luck. Even if you have a superb team which City undoubtedly have, all you need is one bad match in the knockout stages and you are fu**ed, even an injury to a key player can ruin your hopes.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #91: Apr 21, 2021 11:25:34 am
      No one has defended FSG for this so back to your cage

It must be really embarrassing for the likes of you and CT after spending years arguing with other members on this board, regularly spouting sh*te just to support your weird agendas, to now see all this unfold.

I’m presuming you’re an adult. Just say you were wrong and move on. Yeah you look really stupid now, but it’s not the end of the world mate.

Quick Reply