Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 14th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P2 W1 D1 L0

Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League

Read 33072 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Re: Liverpool withdraw from proposed European Super League
      Reply #92: Apr 21, 2021 11:25:36 am
      You could argue the same for PSG, Winning the CL is very very hard to do, and you need a good slice of luck. Even if you have a superb team which City undoubtedly have, all you need is one bad match in the knockout stages and you are fu**ed, even an injury to a key player can ruin your hopes.

Succes is having the right owners, Manager & supporters all in unison...& for that you don’t need billions to be successful, look at us last 3 seasons...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #93: Apr 21, 2021 11:31:57 am
      It must be really embarrassing for the likes of you and CT after spending years arguing with other members on this board, regularly spouting sh*te just to support your weird agendas, to now see all this unfold.

I’m presuming you’re an adult. Just say you were wrong and move on. Yeah you look really stupid now, but it’s not the end of the world mate.

Wrong about what ?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,333 posts | 2775 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #94: Apr 21, 2021 11:32:23 am
      I salute every one of our supporters who stood against this.

I extend that to the supporters of the other clubs including our biggest rivals.

The game is nothing without us and never let em forget it

My sentiments too.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #95: Apr 21, 2021 11:34:07 am

Can’t be arsed playing tennis with you. They’ve shown what they’re about this weekend and if you want to carry on arguing the toss then crack on but you look like a right bellend.

Answer this, do you think that they should still be the owners of our club?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,628 posts | 1518 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #96: Apr 21, 2021 11:38:56 am
      Four teams left, they can have their own annual pre season style competition  :lmao:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #97: Apr 21, 2021 11:47:08 am
      Four teams left, they can have their own annual pre season style competition  :lmao:

Who is left?

Wonder will they now invite Benfica,Ajax, Celtic etc??
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #98: Apr 21, 2021 11:50:24 am
      Can’t be arsed playing tennis with you. They’ve shown what they’re about this weekend and if you want to carry on arguing the toss then crack on but you look like a right bellend.

Answer this, do you think that they should still be the owners of our club?

Until someone else comes along and shows themselves to be the fantasy owners then yes they should still be the owners of the club. Errors have been made but that doesn’t mean the good is ignored
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #99: Apr 21, 2021 11:54:35 am
      Trying to guarantee a mega revenue stream is a smart business move. In the case of football, it meant creating an NFL model, and that is what was attempted. Yes this includes personal gain for the owners long term, but the club finances wound also benefit.

What they failed at was understanding European, British and Liverpudlian culture, and you can't take the business decision out from the cultural context. It's not hard to see what the culture is like. Even a glance through these boards should make it clear.

For those of us from somewhere else who have fallen in love with this club, this game and even the romance of the culture of English football including the pyramids, supporter power, multiple competitions and strong historical ties, we can see the sense of loss over what has been going on for 25-30 years. Speaking for myself,  I already know I will never be fully accepted as a true supporter by most of you, simply due to being from another place or mindset.

I suppose I really should stop trying.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      Reply #100: Apr 21, 2021 12:00:48 pm
      Trying to guarantee a mega revenue stream is a smart business move. In the case of football, it meant creating an NFL model, and that is what was attempted. Yes this includes personal gain for the owners long term, but the club finances wound also benefit.

What they failed at was understanding European, British and Liverpudlian culture, and you can't take the business decision out from the cultural context. It's not hard to see what the culture is like. Even a glance through these boards should make it clear.

For those of us from somewhere else who have fallen in love with this club, this game and even the romance of the culture of English football including the pyramids, supporter power, multiple competitions and strong historical ties, we can see the sense of loss over what has been going on for 25-30 years. Speaking for myself,  I already know I will never be fully accepted as a true supporter by most of you, simply due to being from another place or mindset.

I disagree Bobby. Anyone who behaves in the manner of a Liverpool fan is a true Liverpool fan no matter where you live or were born, and the scousers will tell you that.

They have no time for whoppers and the only there to go on the piss and take pics brigade
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,363 posts | 4971 
      Reply #101: Apr 21, 2021 12:06:08 pm
      Chuckled to myself when I heard Guardiola banging on about 'It's not sport when you are guaranteed success.'

Says the man who has probably spent over £1BN on transfers and managed the richest club in every league he's been in.

Been quite a bit of hypocrisy from many during this entire debacle.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,333 posts | 2775 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #102: Apr 21, 2021 12:06:18 pm

Until someone else comes along and shows themselves to be the fantasy owners then yes they should still be the owners of the club.

Not sure there is such a thing as fantasy owners, maybe in fantasy land. We just have to hope they do a decent job and not F**k the fans over again.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #103: Apr 21, 2021 12:11:53 pm
      Not sure there is such a thing as fantasy owners, maybe in fantasy land. We just have to hope they do a decent job and not f**k the fans over again.

And that’s the crux of it

Right now I’m prepared for them to attempt to repair the damage , they have apologised. I would like to hear them talk through their thinking about it all. At times they have been naive but I think a lot of times they have acted trying to improve the club without understanding the workings of English football
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      Reply #104: Apr 21, 2021 12:13:29 pm
      Been quite a bit of hypocrisy from many during this entire debacle.

Yep, other clubs, FA, FIFA, UEFA, Government bodies, all hypocrites. Id live to know what Everton and Leeds for example would have done had they had the invite. As for the governing bodies I need say nothing.

But when all that is said and done our owners fooked up badly
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,223 posts | 1646 
      Reply #105: Apr 21, 2021 12:13:44 pm
      And that’s the crux of it

Right now I’m prepared for them to attempt to repair the damage , they have apologised. I would like to hear them talk through their thinking about it all. At times they have been naive but I think a lot of times they have acted trying to improve the club without understanding the workings of English football

Got to ask though mate, how long do they need to understand English football? They’ve been in the door 10/11 years now. They got this spectacularly wrong but they must surely have foreseen the negative reaction to this? If they didn’t see it, that’s beyond naive it is stupidity and ignorance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,438 posts | 6429 
      Reply #106: Apr 21, 2021 12:14:36 pm
      Speaking for myself,  I already know I will never be fully accepted as a true supporter by most of you, simply due to being from another place or mindset.

First off...you don't need to be "accepted". No one can tell you what Liverpool Football Club means to you. Yes, I show deference to the local supporters on a lot of things, but there's no one that can tell me or make me justify what this club means to me (nor can they to you). Secondly, you should stop "trying" because that's a useless endeavor. We are all in this together. It's not a contest to see who's the most worthy of being the #1 LFC superfan.

You do you....don't worry about what other people think. If they don't like it, screw 'em.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,438 posts | 6429 
      Reply #107: Apr 21, 2021 12:16:35 pm
      Got to ask though mate, how long do they need to understand English football? They’ve been in the door 10/11 years now. They got this spectacularly wrong but they must surely have foreseen the negative reaction to this? If they didn’t see it, that’s beyond naive it is stupidity and ignorance.

Fool me once, shame on me...fool me twice (or in this instance what 3 or 4 times) shame on you.

They've had plenty of time to try and understand what this club and city are about. Hell....I've been around here about as long as them I suppose on this forum and I sure as hell understand what the backlash was going to be and how this was going to go down.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #108: Apr 21, 2021 12:18:05 pm
      How long is a piece of string -

I agree that they got this horribly wrong and for people who look after other sports teams it was really poor - maybe it’s the issue of looking after different teams in different set ups

Maybe they need to let the club be run 100% by someone who know the sport - let Edwards, Hogan and Co run the club - and if ideas like this arrive at their table they consult those on the ground

Then you look at others like Lewis , Abramovich etc who have been in football for decades now and they jumped in as well

There must be something else we arent being told about

I think it was intending to be a shot at UEFA and they didn’t realise it wouldn’t just affect UEFA

But they aren’t going to sell up

There is no doubt they will continue and try to repair the damage , they aren’t going to sell up and run away - we can continue to fight them on matters that they get wrong but I don’t believe a war to get them to sell will be fruitful
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,363 posts | 4971 
      Reply #109: Apr 21, 2021 12:24:20 pm
      Yep, other clubs, FA, FIFA, UEFA, Government bodies, all hypocrites. Id live to know what Everton and Leeds for example would have done had they had the invite. As for the governing bodies I need say nothing.

But when all that is said and done our owners fooked up badly

They have indeed mate and the biggest surprise is that they still haven't learned that lesson after so many ideas that they have had to back down on after pressure from us fans.

You'd have thought smart intelligent businessmen like them would have got that by now.

I can't quite get as worked up as some of you though as I know full well that this could quite easily still be the case no matter who owned us at this point. It's the fear of missing out and very few, if any, owners would have the courage of their convictions to stay away from this hairbrained idea.

The bigger issue is it seems FSG still don't seem to get it after having to back down on ticket prices, furloughing staff etc etc. How many F**k ups does it take for the penny to drop??
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #110: Apr 21, 2021 12:27:52 pm

Until someone else comes along and shows themselves to be the fantasy owners then yes they should still be the owners of the club. Errors have been made but that doesn’t mean the good is ignored

After this weekend then I find it amazing that anybody who understands Liverpool would still want these clowns in charge.

It’s even more baffling because aren’t you from Liverpool? Or nearby at least?

You were wrong about them. Please don’t insult people’s intelligence and tell us they should still be our owners because you have argued in their favour for years on here until you were blue in the face and now you look stupid.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #111: Apr 21, 2021 12:29:04 pm
      Speaking for myself,  I already know I will never be fully accepted as a true supporter by most of you, simply due to being from another place or mindset.

There's people on here who have travelled half way round the globe to watch us and have got up at daft o clock to watch us play Stoke midweek.

Some supporters breathe the club and some followers check in on the club monthly.

I don't think location dictates which camp you fall into.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,265 posts | 3503 
      Reply #112: Apr 21, 2021 12:29:16 pm
      After this weekend then I find it amazing that anybody who understands Liverpool would still want these clowns in charge.

You were wrong about them. Please don’t insult people’s intelligence and tell us they should still be our owners because you have argued in their favour for years on here until you were blue in the face and now you look stupid.

Can you name me people to buy the club then please ?

There is no point ranting and raving unless you know someone who can come in a do a better job

Right now for me it’s better the devil you know
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,363 posts | 4971 
      Reply #113: Apr 21, 2021 12:29:44 pm

Fine and I agree to an extent.

But what exactly is the alternative?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #114: Apr 21, 2021 12:32:08 pm

What's the realistic alternative?
      Season ticket holders each chip in £30,000?

Quick Reply