Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Pre-season friendlies 2021

Read 33738 times
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Re: Pre-season friendlies 2021
      Reply #161: Jul 31, 2021 05:22:40 pm

People talk like suggesting we get a pure 9 is blasphemy
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,715 posts | 3722 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #162: Jul 31, 2021 07:43:34 pm
      Elliott will save us so much!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #163: Jul 31, 2021 08:36:48 pm
      Look forward to the season starting in a couple of weeks time, with seemingly, a fully fit squad of players.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #164: Jul 31, 2021 10:50:32 pm

The irony is that Jürgen played Lewa as a #10 in the beginning at Dortmund before eventually restoring him to a #9.  Lewa talks about how this positional change helped improve him as a player. 

The moral?  Jürgen prefers well rounded players who are multi dimensional.  I just don't see Jürgen being keen on a traditional #9 unless they have a lot more in their locker besides just being a good finisher. 
      rossyred

• 9,308 posts | 1669 
      Reply #165: Jul 31, 2021 11:45:33 pm
      The irony is that Jürgen played Lewa as a #10 in the beginning at Dortmund before eventually restoring him to a #9.  Lewa talks about how this positional change helped improve him as a player. 

The moral?  Jürgen prefers well rounded players who are multi dimensional.  I just don't see Jürgen being keen on a traditional #9 unless they have a lot more in their locker besides just being a good finisher.

You mean Lewa ?
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #166: Aug 01, 2021 07:16:23 am

I understand this as Jurgens preference but surely there must be a player who is an actual striker who works hard and has A+ finishing ability too, as of know I personally rate Bobbies finishing ability too low to justify his place in the team especially after his work rate has dropped off massively from what it was two or three years ago.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,715 posts | 3722 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #167: Aug 01, 2021 08:58:48 am

I understand this as Jurgens preference but surely there must be a player who is an actual striker who works hard and has A+ finishing ability too, as of know I personally rate Bobbies finishing ability too low to justify his place in the team especially after his work rate has dropped off massively from what it was two or three years ago.
      I agree with you on his finishing as all know that I am not the biggest fan but his work rate is still good and create space for others. I would rotate him with Jota and AOC too but he deserves another season.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,179 posts | 3475 
      Reply #168: Aug 01, 2021 08:59:38 am

He is called Kane or Haaland and would cost over £150mil
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #169: Aug 01, 2021 11:24:09 am

It doesn't have to be Kane or Haaland. The extremeism is unreal.

So based on your answer, Bobby is the 3rd best striker in the world?
      « Last Edit: Aug 01, 2021 11:33:37 am by Salah10 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,573 posts | 1803 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #170: Aug 01, 2021 12:43:20 pm
      All looking good pre-season, the last game we were still missing at least 6 starters.

Keep our many CB's fit this season and were good to go, Can see konate starting a lot so the others can be nursed back to full match fitness.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,179 posts | 3475 
      Reply #171: Aug 01, 2021 02:29:55 pm
      It doesn't have to be Kane or Haaland. The extremeism is unreal.

So based on your answer, Bobby is the 3rd best striker in the world?
      Who then ?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,573 posts | 1803 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #172: Aug 01, 2021 02:39:10 pm
      Folk forgetting the reason our strikers had a dip in goals last season was due to knock on effect of our best CB's being out most of the season, which meant we defended deeper, which meant our midfieders and forwards won the ball back deeper too, that extra 10 yards or so deeper made a massive difference to our cutting edge.

That edge will be back this season, can actually already see it pre-season, our pressing higher up the pitch the other night was brilliant.

Im very confident even if we dont buy anyone else this season that we have enough in the squad to get back to ripping teams apart, and when were in a scrap our defenders are back to top drawer to not leak those stupid goals we were leaking last season.

Add to that the likes of Jota and Thiago have had a season to bed in now, we will see a lot more of them.

Oh yea and the fans will be back.

I predict an epic season, no matter the rest of the transfer window.
      CT_LFC

• 6,813 posts | 1406 
      Reply #173: Aug 01, 2021 03:04:45 pm
      Folk forgetting the reason our strikers had a dip in goals last season was due to knock on effect of our best CB's being out most of the season, which meant we defended deeper, which meant our midfieders and forwards won the ball back deeper too, that extra 10 yards or so deeper made a massive difference to our cutting edge.

That edge will be back this season, can actually already see it pre-season, our pressing higher up the pitch the other night was brilliant.

Im very confident even if we dont buy anyone else this season that we have enough in the squad to get back to ripping teams apart, and when were in a scrap our defenders are back to top drawer to not leak those stupid goals we were leaking last season.

Add to that the likes of Jota and Thiago have had a season to bed in now, we will see a lot more of them.

Oh yea and the fans will be back.

I predict an epic season, no matter the rest of the transfer window.

We will be up there with the best of them for sure.

As things stand our squad is too big and need to trim down, particularly if Taki and Elliott are going to remain with the team and not loaned out.

We have 7 cb’s which is definitely too many and 8 up front (Mo, Mane, Bobby, Jota, Taki, Origi, Shaq, Elliott). Shaq and Elliott may be able to play in midfield but we already have 7 midfielders (Hendo, Fab, Milner, Ox, Keita, Jones, Thiago).
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,573 posts | 1803 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #174: Aug 01, 2021 03:28:33 pm
      We will be up there with the best of them for sure.

As things stand our squad is too big and need to trim down, particularly if Taki and Elliott are going to remain with the team and not loaned out.

We have 7 cb’s which is definitely too many and 8 up front (Mo, Mane, Bobby, Jota, Taki, Origi, Shaq, Elliott). Shaq and Elliott may be able to play in midfield but we already have 7 midfielders (Hendo, Fab, Milner, Ox, Keita, Jones, Thiago).

We need a big squad, plenty games coming up, were due some good domestic cup runs, need a bit of luck in the draw though. ;D

Shaq will be gone for sure, Nat Philips will probably leave.

Origi needs to leave, but nobody seems interested.

RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #175: Aug 01, 2021 05:45:33 pm

No he wouldn’t and I think you know that too really don’t you be honest, I’m not a hater of Bobbie I think he still has a place in the squad but should not be first choice. His work rate has dropped off IMO just wish he could get himself on the six yard line a bit more often.
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #176: Aug 01, 2021 05:53:13 pm

Saddened to say the list of strikers out there who I would put in front of him is huge, we missed a trick with Cavanni he has offered more to the scum than Bobby has for us last season, he works but most importantly he puts the ball in the net. A player wearing number 9 at Liverpool FC should be the most deadly finisher we have and he ain’t even that.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,179 posts | 3475 
      Reply #177: Aug 01, 2021 06:06:47 pm
      No he wouldn’t and I think you know that too really don’t you be honest, I’m not a hater of Bobbie I think he still has a place in the squad but should not be first choice. His work rate has dropped off IMO just wish he could get himself on the six yard line a bit more often.

It will cost over £150mil for Haaland or Kane 🤷‍♂️

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,179 posts | 3475 
      Reply #178: Aug 01, 2021 06:08:16 pm
      Saddened to say the list of strikers out there who I would put in front of him is huge, we missed a trick with Cavanni he has offered more to the scum than Bobby has for us last season, he works but most importantly he puts the ball in the net. A player wearing number 9 at Liverpool FC should be the most deadly finisher we have and he ain’t even that.

Should Klopp give him a different number because wearing 9 doesn’t fit in with some preconceived idea you have 🤷‍♂️

Surely by now people understand the role the 9 has within Klopps tactics 🤷‍♂️
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #179: Aug 01, 2021 06:53:54 pm

Jimanez and L.Martinez are two that spring to mind straight away.

You didn't answer me. Based on your answer is Bobby the 3rd best striker in the world?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,179 posts | 3475 
      Reply #180: Aug 01, 2021 07:01:50 pm
      Jimanez and L.Martinez are two that spring to mind straight away.

You didn't answer me. Based on your answer is Bobby the 3rd best striker in the world?

No Bobby is not the third best striker

Bobby is perfect for the role that Klopp wants him to play in the team
      Salah10
      • Banned

• 1,224 posts | 200 
      Reply #181: Aug 01, 2021 07:22:45 pm
      No Bobby is not the third best striker

Bobby is perfect for the role that Klopp wants him to play in the team

Do you think there's someone out there that can play the Bobby role better than him?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,179 posts | 3475 
      Reply #182: Aug 01, 2021 07:32:14 pm
      Do you think there's someone out there that can play the Bobby role better than him?

Yep - Haaland , Dybala , Greizmann ( well until recently )
      RazorRedz
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts | 23 
      Reply #183: Aug 01, 2021 07:56:52 pm
      Should Klopp give him a different number because wearing 9 doesn’t fit in with some preconceived idea you have 🤷‍♂️

Surely by now people understand the role the 9 has within Klopps tactics 🤷‍♂️

Yes I’d give him a different number and move him out backwards in a attacking mid position give number 9 to someone up top who can finish, we need to start thinking of another way of playing as a plan B, we currently are unable to do so because Jürgen is stubborn to the point of naivety thinking Ox or Minamino can play this false 9 like Bobby can. Personally I’d get a real striker who you know will be greedy enough to goal hang a little to drawn attention away from our only areas of threat Mane and Salah.

Quick Reply