Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who do you *want* to win?

France 🇫🇷
      9 (47.4%)
      Argentina 🇦🇷
      10 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup: Winner Argentina 🇦🇷

Read 81997 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Re: Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup
      Reply #1748: Dec 18, 2022 11:57:01 pm
      As good a final as you can hope for. Glad both Messi and Mbappe put their pens away in the shootout.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1749: Dec 19, 2022 12:57:24 am
      Hats off to Mbappe. Seemed to rise to the occasion and from what I could tell, did so with class. Messi a great footballer, but seems to have classic case of short man’s syndrome. For me as a person, I’ll leave him in favor of players like Salah and Mane that always seem to ooze class with just about what we they do.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #1750: Dec 19, 2022 01:11:15 pm
      Think with this World Cup performance and win this settles the Messi v Ronaldo debate.

As far as the final it had everything you would want in football game in terms of excitement and it was one of the rare cases where the narrative set up by everyone as Messi v Mbappe actually did play out.

Thought Argentina were the better team, impressed how they bounced back in extra time after looking like they were going to lose the game at the end of full time. That save at the end of extra time by Martinez I'm hindsight was kind of defining moment that it was going to be their final.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1751: Dec 19, 2022 01:32:22 pm
      Chuffed for Messi.

And overall I think Argentina played some of the best football.

So well played.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,041 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1752: Dec 19, 2022 02:49:31 pm
      Never watched the match just the penalties so missed what appeared to be a great game from what little I’ve read.  I heard Ally MCCoist supposed to of said  ( or similar) it was the first genuine hatrick of a  World Cup final  as Geoff Hurst shouldn’t of been allowed or if VAR was about would never of been given. Is this true?

Also if that’s the case was the 3 penalties all  genuine that France got?  Surprised if true but I suppose that’s the England/Scotland rivalry coming out of him.  ;D Can see the media giving him some stick for that.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,041 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1753: Dec 19, 2022 02:56:30 pm
      Think with this World Cup performance and win this settles the Messi v Ronaldo debate.

I don’t think two weeks football can settle the debate Adam but many will think so. Messi done very little the last two years, not forgetting Messi never did it in the hardest league in world football. Don’t get me wrong I think he would of done but not as many goals. However, that’s just a opinion and not fact.

Great World Cup for him but Ronaldo done it everywhere and also not been surrounded by world class players as Messi did with Barcelona.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,004 posts | 223 
      Reply #1754: Dec 19, 2022 03:22:30 pm
      how is Mbappe wrong all the Argentina+Brazil stars play in Europe.

NASSY WORLD CHAMPION COUNTER AGAINST THE FRENCH
      Argentines make fun of Mbappé
      World Cup 2022: Here Argentina's world champions mock Mbappé

It obviously doesn't work without malice against the inferior opponent...
      After the dramatic World Cup triumph in the final against France, Argentina's world champions around megastar Lionel Messi (35) are going completely steep.

The Albiceleste stars are already celebrating their first World Cup title since 1986 with their loved ones on the field.

The party continues even more wildly in the catacombs of Lusail Stadium in Kata.
      In the aisles of the arena's mixed zone, the Argentines celebrate exuberantly and transform the area into a party zone.

And in the dressing room, the professionals lose all their inhibitions - also when it comes to mockery of the French.

The newly crowned world champions dance wildly through the room when goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez demands: "Silence!" All Argentinians pause. Martinez then yells, "For Mbappé... who's dead!"

The Argentinians like the gag at the expense of the French World Cup top scorer so much that they repeat it, for example on the way to the team bus.

Why this malice against the striker, who only scored three times during the game in the final and then successfully sunk his shot in the penalty shoot-out?

Mbappé had previously nailed against the Argentines, among others. Excited was an interview with "TNT Brazil" in which Mbappé said: "In South America, football is not as advanced as in Europe." And: "Argentina and Brazil are not playing at a high level to get to the World Cup. For example, we have the Nations League. When we get to the World Cup, we'll be ready."

Sentences that were a topic in Argentina's eleven. Albiceleste goalkeeper Martinez said before the final: "I heard what he said, but Argentina and Brazil have players of great quality and talent."

After the final, Martinez and the people in front were allowed to celebrate wildly and maliciously the triumph over Mbappé and his European vice world champions.
      https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/...geminute-fuer-kylian-mbapp-82299330.bild.html
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #1755: Dec 19, 2022 03:34:59 pm
      I don’t think two weeks football can settle the debate Adam but many will think so.

I agree it all about opinion but winning the world cup is an important factor to consider. With both which such great club careers with achievements and records many will look at international careers of both to make a decision.

World Cup is the pinnacle of international football, even where international competition might take a back seat to club football still important achievement that Messi has and Ronaldo doesn't.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1756: Dec 19, 2022 04:59:05 pm
      Didn't watch any of the group stage, started watching from quarters.
      Brilliant final, really was, and there were some other good games, Argies vs Dutch was v good.
      Fitting end for Messi, imho the best player in the World for many years now. Arguably the greatest ever.

Still don't think any differently about Qatar or the decision to hold it there.
      Infantino is some F***ing knob, FIFA is in 'good hands' for the coming years alright. Apparently he could be around until 2031, just in time to award Saudi the WC in 2030 :)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,041 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1757: Dec 19, 2022 05:44:36 pm
      I agree it all about opinion but winning the world cup is an important factor to consider. With both which such great club careers with achievements and records many will look at international careers of both to make a decision.

World Cup is the pinnacle of international football, even where international competition might take a back seat to club football still important achievement that Messi has and Ronaldo doesn't.

Fcuk knows what opinions will be about  Haaland then in years to come as he will never win a World Cup   ;D
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #1758: Dec 19, 2022 06:01:34 pm
      Fcuk knows what opinions will be about  Haaland then in years to come as he will never win a World Cup   ;D
      World Cup winner shouldn't catapult you up the list of Greats. Rush a perfect example, he was the Lewandowski of his time, but back then, like now, the rest of the Welsh squad were rubbish.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,347 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1759: Dec 19, 2022 07:05:55 pm
      Don’t have to be the better team, just have to be the better team on that day. Argentina got the job done, but I’m not convinced that they are a better team than France. Either way, what an exciting game to watch. Don’t think it settles any debate about Messi and Ronaldo. Messi probably the better player regardless but he still comes across as an asshat to me and so does Ronaldo.

Give Mo Salah the favorable refs calls that Messi gets and I’ll take him over Messi all day long.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Re: Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup: Winner Argentina 🇦🇷
      Reply #1760: Dec 19, 2022 07:32:24 pm

If Haaland lucky enough to have a career  with the likes of Messi/Ronaldo it would be something you would have in consideration but that isn't the case for Ronaldo/Messi who both play for nations who realistically had a shot at winning the World Cup when they played.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #1761: Dec 19, 2022 09:32:31 pm
      I don’t think two weeks football can settle the debate Adam but many will think so. Messi done very little the last two years, not forgetting Messi never did it in the hardest league in world football. Don’t get me wrong I think he would of done but not as many goals. However, that’s just a opinion and not fact.

Great World Cup for him but Ronaldo done it everywhere and also not been surrounded by world class players as Messi did with Barcelona.

Never wanted to be surrounded by WC players or it wouldn't have been all about him would he. To say he wasn't surrounded by WC players his also not  really true . I didn't need two weeks of WC to settle the debate as there never was one for me it was and always will be Messi
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,223 posts | 1222 
      Reply #1762: Dec 19, 2022 10:34:13 pm
      Do the Boca and River ultras stand side by side to welcome the national team home? They are far more militant than some European fans. Maybe they will put all of that to one side for a few days before getting back to beating up their fellow countrymen.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,868 posts | 704 
      Reply #1763: Dec 19, 2022 10:59:44 pm
      Quote from bmck
      Didn't watch any of the group stage, started watching from quarters.
      Brilliant final, really was, and there were some other good games, Argies vs Dutch was v good.
      Fitting end for Messi, imho the best player in the World for many years now. Arguably the greatest ever.

Still don't think any differently about Qatar or the decision to hold it there.
      Apparently he could be around until 2031, just in time to award Saudi the WC in 2030 :)

He won't be able to give it to them. The WC will be never be allowed to be held in that part of the world again. FIFA don't want or need the headlines, or the the chaotic calendar that came with this one, ever again. Also, the voting system to host these things is now set up in such a way as to prevent it happening again.

It's traditional for presidents and prime ministers to declare big tournaments as the best ever at the time. The head of the IOC does it at the end of every Olympics. And in 4 years time, the next WC will be declared the best ever as well. So saying it's the best ever is nothing new.

The final wasn't the best ever final. For the first 80 minutes of the 140 minutes played, it was barely a contest. Then Otamendi did what he does, and then the game started. After that, the entertainment took over, but the final reflected the tournament itself. Very dull for the most part, with memorable moments from time to time.

Messi wasn't good enough to make the Ballon d'Or shortlist this year, and a team who only won 4 games against poor sides, and was also beaten by Saudi Arabia are probably not the best team in the world atm, but now he has his WC title, he can be in the conversation regarding the GOAT. But whatever he achieves, Mbappe will probably go on to beat it. He did everything he could to retain the title, and his performance in the final merits more than just an afterthought.

Most people are relieved that this tournament is finally over, (probably including FIFA themselves) and now we can get back to normal football events, and leave Qatar and it's controversies for someone else to protest about.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #1764: Dec 19, 2022 11:36:29 pm
      Messi wasn't good enough to make the Ballon d'Or shortlist this year, and a team who only won 4 games against poor sides, and was also beaten by Saudi Arabia are probably not the best team in the world atm.

What nation would you rate higher atm?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,064 posts | 2110 
      Reply #1765: Dec 19, 2022 11:44:04 pm
      He won't be able to give it to them. The WC will be never be allowed to be held in that part of the world again. FIFA don't want or need the headlines, or the the chaotic calendar that came with this one, ever again. Also, the voting system to host these things is now set up in such a way as to prevent it happening again.

It's traditional for presidents and prime ministers to declare big tournaments as the best ever at the time. The head of the IOC does it at the end of every Olympics. And in 4 years time, the next WC will be declared the best ever as well. So saying it's the best ever is nothing new.

The final wasn't the best ever final. For the first 80 minutes of the 140 minutes played, it was barely a contest. Then Otamendi did what he does, and then the game started. After that, the entertainment took over, but the final reflected the tournament itself. Very dull for the most part, with memorable moments from time to time.

Messi wasn't good enough to make the Ballon d'Or shortlist this year, and a team who only won 4 games against poor sides, and was also beaten by Saudi Arabia are probably not the best team in the world atm, but now he has his WC title, he can be in the conversation regarding the GOAT. But whatever he achieves, Mbappe will probably go on to beat it. He did everything he could to retain the title, and his performance in the final merits more than just an afterthought.

Most people are relieved that this tournament is finally over, (probably including FIFA themselves) and now we can get back to normal football events, and leave Qatar and it's controversies for someone else to protest about.

The amount of eye rolls your posts cause could power the whole of the British Isles. Christ on a bike, give it a rest.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #1766: Dec 19, 2022 11:49:14 pm

Totally agree with your views on the final (most of the second half I had the sound off so I could listen to some music)... and Argentina generally. Any team that wins the World Cup which has come through a couple of penalty shootouts, has to by definition be lucky.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,041 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1767: Dec 20, 2022 04:36:10 am
      World Cup winner shouldn't catapult you up the list of Greats. Rush a perfect example, he was the Lewandowski of his time, but back then, like now, the rest of the Welsh squad were rubbish.

This is my thoughts too. World status is based on years of football, not two weeks. Both Ronaldo & Messi deserve to be talked about in the same breath. For me Rushie was World class but many fans think if you don’t do it in a World Cup you can’t be put up on the biggest stage as one of the best, something I very much disagree on.

Same could be said about Messi never doing it in the hardest league in football, many think he could but it’s a opinion and not fact.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1768: Dec 20, 2022 05:27:29 am
      Totally agree with your views on the final (most of the second half I had the sound off so I could listen to some music)

Why not just go the whole hog and turn it off then?

Good grief, some utter drivel posted in here at times.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,004 posts | 223 
      Reply #1769: Dec 20, 2022 07:16:19 am
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #1770: Dec 20, 2022 10:38:25 am
      Why not just go the whole hog and turn it off then?

Good grief, some utter drivel posted in here at times.
      France were totally uncompetitive first half and the game was dead. I left it on in hope more than expectation that something might happen to reignite it as a contest. Alas nothing changed until 10 minutes from the end when France got their pen and scored, still I chose to listen to Radio 6....but once the equaliser went in....Well then we were treated to some extreme drama.
      As for posting drivel, well we're all guilty of that....including your good self.
      Season's Greetings

Quick Reply