Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ray Kennedy RIP

Read 3736 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Re: Ray Kennedy RIP
      Reply #23: Nov 30, 2021 07:59:51 pm
      RIP Ray Kennedy…
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #24: Nov 30, 2021 08:09:59 pm
      RIP Ray

A true legend.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #25: Nov 30, 2021 08:21:25 pm
      A real legend by all accounts. RIP Ray and thank you for your contribution to our great club.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #26: Nov 30, 2021 08:30:02 pm
      Just before my time but heard enough tales about his exploits. I think Parkinsons really had a massive detrimental effect on his life post football and you cant imagine a modern LFC player ever needing to sell their medals.

RIP Ray.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #27: Nov 30, 2021 09:23:25 pm
      RIP Ray
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #28: Dec 01, 2021 03:21:52 pm
      Absolutely gutted when I heard that yet another Anfield Legend had passed, Ray Kennedy was Sir Bob’s first signing, and what a signing? he played up front for Arsenal but Bob, genius Bob converted Ray into a left sided midfielder, and he absolutely smashed it, so much so he became for me one of the best in that position in Europe if not the world,

Some of the goals he scored were purely team goals so no surprise to learn that a certain Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish was a main implementor and supplier, Ray had a energy about him akin to what Dirk Kuyt had, but more importantly the balance he brought to a midfield deemed one of if not the best ever in the club’s history, he was certainly one of my favourite players of that era, unfortunately I don’t think he got the recognition he deserved, especially from the FA who preferred southern based midfield players to those north of Watford, in particular if they plied their trade in Liverpool!

Ray sadly fell victim to that horrible disease Parkinsons and I believe had a really tough time of it last year or so, condolences to his family and friends.

RIP Ray Kennedy   YNWA
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Dec 01, 2021 03:26:53 pm
      From players Ive seen in the flesh or seen tons of footage off I think if it werent for Barnes Ray is a shoe in for most peoples greatest Liverpool 11, and indeed still makes that team for a lot of people over Barnesy. Thats how good he was.

Sadly robbed of a good portion of his life
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #30: Dec 01, 2021 04:49:24 pm
      RIP
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #31: Dec 02, 2021 06:01:03 pm
      I think Billy the Red has summed up Ray very well, he was a tremendous player on his day and the way Bob moulded him from a striker into one of the best midfielders around was a stroke of genius, I met Ray a couple of times at Anfield and Melwood, he was always with Jimmy Case, two besties, gutted we've lost another Anfield legend, he's at peace now with such a dreadful illness, may you RIP Ray....YNWA.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #32: Dec 02, 2021 09:36:05 pm
      If Carlesburg done left sided midfielders, Ray Kennedy etc etc.

RIP Ray.

Never forget the impact he made to our midfield, which contributed to many victories and trophies.

One of the major pieces in the puzzle.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #33: Dec 03, 2021 08:44:59 am
      Rip and YNWA
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #34: Dec 04, 2021 01:26:07 pm
      Read his book, that was a touching read especially reading the parts when he was first starting to show signs of the disease and landlords in some pubs wouldn't serve him as they thought he was already badly drunk!

A brilliant servant for the club considering he was bought as a forward, Ray became a part of one of our greatest midfields in the club's history.

His equaliser in the Olympic Stadium against Bayern isn't too shabby either.

Considering some players get tagged with Legend status for achieving half of what Ray achieved it has to be said Ray Kennedy is an absolute legend.

YNWA Ray Kennedy.

Quick Reply