Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Formula 1 2022

Read 92008 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Formula 1 2022
      Reply #92: Jan 27, 2022 07:17:40 pm

False No 1 on helmet  :f_doh:
      https://www.skysports.com/f1
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,087 posts | 631 
      Reply #94: Jan 27, 2022 11:35:29 pm
      Verstappen choosing to run with the No. 1 really shows his arrogance...

There's also this:
      "Verstappen has also requested that a world championship star be added to the back of the helmet to serve as a permanent reminder of his 2021 triumph."

It's as if he has to remind everyone that he won the title, otherwise people might doubt it. It's a bit pathetic, really.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,886 posts | 704 
      Reply #95: Jan 28, 2022 01:56:57 pm
      I'm sure you remember that it's what he told you he would do, if he won the world title. As current world champion, he has the right to take the No. 1 number for this year. It's not arrogance at all, it used to be automatic for the world champion of the time, to have on his car until he lost his crown.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #96: Jan 28, 2022 02:35:19 pm
      Verstappen choosing to run with the No. 1 really shows his arrogance...

There's also this:
      "Verstappen has also requested that a world championship star be added to the back of the helmet to serve as a permanent reminder of his 2021 triumph."

It's as if he has to remind everyone that he won the title, otherwise people might doubt it. It's a bit pathetic, really.

This might shock you, but all Champions used to run the no 1 on the car until their number became their brand.
      Started with Rossi and 46.
      That he's taking the no 1 is not arrogance.
      I like that it feels almost nostalgic at this point.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,113 posts | 2131 
      Reply #97: Jan 28, 2022 02:47:09 pm
      I was wondering what the need for a separate thread was. But then you see it's about 2022, so what are we talking about 2021 for? Anyway,

The fact of the matter is that Verstappen won the title because he won more points over 22 races than anyone else. That's the reality. Just as it was when Hamilton and everyone else, won their own titles before him. Hamilton lost the last race because of a botched tyre strategy, that backfired on the last lap. He needs to look in the mirror as to why he lost it. No consideration at all why he pressed the wrong button in Baku or when he was the only driver who restarted with the wrong tyres on in Budapest, or that he only won 1 race in 10 during the season. All those factors count just as much, as the last one. But it's easier for him to point the finger at someone else, for losing the title.

As a neutral, it doesn't matter to me whether he shows up in Sakhir or not. I fully expect him to honour the contract he signed and fulfil his obligations but if not, the sport will move on, with or without him. There's a new generation of drivers who would be more than happy to race Verstappen for the crown in 2022.

New year, same sh*t from you.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,087 posts | 631 
      Reply #98: Jan 28, 2022 03:14:55 pm
      This might shock you, but all Champions used to run the no 1 on the car until their number became their brand.

I know, and I actually respect his right. But very few people elect to do it these days...
      Don't worry, I'm also well aware that I'm heavily biased against Max at the moment.  ;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #99: Jan 28, 2022 03:25:49 pm
      I know, and I actually respect his right. But very few people elect to do it these days...
      Don't worry, I'm also well aware that I'm heavily biased against Max at the moment.  ;)

It doesn't show his arrogance though. That's just you projecting whatever bias you have right now.
      It's been tradition as long as there has been motorsport for the reigning Champion to run the 1.
      I've done it at Club level. Does that also make me arrogant. It's a nice feeling to see it on your car.
      A justification for years of hard work, sitting pride of place.
      A reminder if things aren't going right that you did it before and can do it again.

Arrogance? Nah
      Kinda old school now.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #100: Jan 28, 2022 04:37:07 pm

Yea.

He's a young man as well so likely immensely proud to be World Champion.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #101: Jan 28, 2022 05:01:49 pm

As a neutral, it doesn't matter to me whether he shows up in Sakhir or not. I fully expect him to honour the contract he signed and fulfil his obligations but if not, the sport will move on, with or without him. There's a new generation of drivers who would be more than happy to race Verstappen for the crown in 2022.

As a neutral!!!!!! 

Really.  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #102: Jan 28, 2022 05:04:11 pm
      I'm sure you remember that it's what he told you he would do, if he won the world title. As current world champion, he has the right to take the No. 1 number for this year.

No sh!t?? Sherlock got nothing on you lad.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,113 posts | 2131 
      Reply #103: Jan 28, 2022 05:29:31 pm
      It's nice having the number 1 back on the grid. Not to be a bureaucratic bore I always preferred the old grid numbering system anyhow! None of this fancy 77 bollocks!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #104: Jan 28, 2022 08:18:28 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #105: Jan 28, 2022 10:35:16 pm
      It's nice having the number 1 back on the grid. Not to be a bureaucratic bore I always preferred the old grid numbering system anyhow! None of this fancy 77 bollocks!

and put 27 & 28 back on the Ferraris.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #107: Feb 08, 2022 10:33:23 am
      Not Max’s fault that Masi turned the final race into a farce - I think saying it’s ‘underserved’ is a bit harsh because they were neck and neck until the last race. He has every right to be proud of his title win and it’s possible to acknowledge that whilst also seeing that it felt a little contrived.

Think Hamilton and Mercedes have every right to be furious but I feel a bit for Max because his first title will always be questioned now through no fault of his own.

Don’t see the issue of having the number 1 on his car either, he’s world champ and has every right to use the number.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 17,284 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #108: Feb 08, 2022 01:05:34 pm
      Not Max’s fault that Masi turned the final race into a farce - I think saying it’s ‘underserved’ is a bit harsh because they were neck and neck until the last race. He has every right to be proud of his title win and it’s possible to acknowledge that whilst also seeing that it felt a little contrived.

Think Hamilton and Mercedes have every right to be furious but I feel a bit for Max because his first title will always be questioned now through no fault of his own.

Don’t see the issue of having the number 1 on his car either, he’s world champ and has every right to use the number.

Not sure anyone is blaming Max because Masi got it wrong but you have to admit if it wasn’t for the catastrophic mistake by him Hammy world champion for a record 8 times.

It’s understandable people will feel aggrieved because Max didn’t win it fair and square. Let’s not forget though, max is a dirty driver anyway. 
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #109: Feb 08, 2022 11:14:02 pm
      Not sure anyone is blaming Max because Masi got it wrong but you have to admit if it wasn’t for the catastrophic mistake by him Hammy world champion for a record 8 times.

It’s understandable people will feel aggrieved because Max didn’t win it fair and square. Let’s not forget though, max is a dirty driver anyway. 

Oh yeah, I absolutely agree that if Masi didn’t intervene then that was Hamiltons title. But things are won over a season, same as in football, there are always going to be stand out moments and my point is that over the course of a season Verstappen had put himself in the fight and be in a position to take advantage of those (very) fortunate moments like what happened in the last race. You can only do your best and control the circumstances you’re in.

You and a few other lads all follow it much closer than I do, but from my perspective he’s just put himself in a position to benefit from a decision like that.

Don’t have a horse in this race myself, don’t really support a specific team or driver but I think Hamilton having a proper rival is good for interest in the sport, I used to watch it loads but when Vettel started to dominate I lost interest and it’s been the same with Hamilton the last few years to be honest. This season brought my interest back and I hope the rivalry continues as a neutral.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #110: Feb 09, 2022 11:36:48 am
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,113 posts | 2131 
      Reply #111: Feb 09, 2022 02:27:58 pm

Makes you angry doesn't it. No one pissed me off more on the Red Bull pitwall than Jonathan Wheatley and it's absolutely incredible the weakness that Masi displayed.

A lot's been said about Toto Wolff's complaints to the race director during Abu Dhabi but it's worth pointing out that Wheatley and Red Bull were doing this every race - they debased communications between the teams and race control to the extent that Mercedes had to stoop to their level. It's not something that was evident from Mercedes when they were battling Ferrari in 2017 and 2018.

I don't believe Masi is corrupt or it was in some way he premeditated in favour of Verstappen and Red Bull. He just showed incredible weakness in a role that demanded clarity and authority. We didn't get that throughout 2021 so it's remarkable that there are still question marks over his future when it should have been settled a while back now. If he stays on, he's on a hiding to nothing. The slightest infringement/miscommunication will be all it takes to make it impossible for him to continue in.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #112: Feb 09, 2022 02:40:15 pm
      Makes you angry doesn't it. No one pissed me off more on the Red Bull pitwall than Jonathan Wheatley and it's absolutely incredible the weakness that Masi displayed.

A lot's been said about Toto Wolff's complaints to the race director during Abu Dhabi but it's worth pointing out that Wheatley and Red Bull were doing this every race - they debased communications between the teams and race control to the extent that Mercedes had to stoop to their level. It's not something that was evident from Mercedes when they were battling Ferrari in 2017 and 2018.

I don't believe Masi is corrupt or it was in some way he premeditated in favour of Verstappen and Red Bull. He just showed incredible weakness in a role that demanded clarity and authority. We didn't get that throughout 2021 so it's remarkable that there are still question marks over his future when it should have been settled a while back now. If he stays on, he's on a hiding to nothing. The slightest infringement/miscommunication will be all it takes to make it impossible for him to continue in.

Masi cracked, his decision making & the sound of his voice shows how out of depth he was....

Quick question....

Would it have been illegal if Lewis decided not to put his foot Finn in th3 final lap & coasted over the line or would he have been forced to race..?

You can’t over take during a safety car but you can’t race straight away without the leading car closing the gap bweteen car 2 & the rest & then race once the leading car put their foot down..?

If I make sense 🥴
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,113 posts | 2131 
      Reply #113: Feb 09, 2022 04:21:45 pm
      Masi cracked, his decision making & the sound of his voice shows how out of depth he was....

Quick question....

Would it have been illegal if Lewis decided not to put his foot Finn in th3 final lap & coasted over the line or would he have been forced to race..?

You can’t over take during a safety car but you can’t race straight away without the leading car closing the gap bweteen car 2 & the rest & then race once the leading car put their foot down..?

If I make sense 🥴

Do you mean the lead car becoming defacto safety car once the safety car switches its lights off and runs off back to the pits? Once past the safety car line and the green flags are waved there's nothing Lewis could have done to control the pack.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #114: Feb 09, 2022 04:50:11 pm
      Do you mean the lead car becoming defacto safety car once the safety car switches its lights off and runs off back to the pits? Once past the safety car line and the green flags are waved there's nothing Lewis could have done to control the pack.

Yes mate, where would the safety car line been at that point..?

Quick Reply