Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)

Read 62690 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Re: Luis Diaz Player Thread (F)
      Reply #368: Jul 20, 2023 01:42:40 am
      I thought we missed Diaz in a big way last season. One of the few players we have who will take on defenders and create opportunities for himself and others using his dribbling skills.

Personally I like a front three of Diaz, Jota and Salah. Plus we have great options with Gakpo and Nunez. We look in great shape up top if they can all stay fit.

If Diaz is fit I’m expecting at least ten goals from him this season.
      I think this is a pretty accurate and reasonable goal expectation to have with him, I too would expect between 10 and 15 goals in a season where he stays healthy. The nice thing with the type of player Diaz is, and we already saw a glimpse or two of that, is that despite him scoring less than players like Jota or Salah some of those goals will come at moments where the rest of our frontline is unable to score for a reason or another. That cut to the inside followed by the curler 3 or 4 yards before the edge of the box is amazing when it connects and can be what unlocks a game against a very compact and low block opponent
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #369: Jul 20, 2023 07:51:09 am
      I think this is a pretty accurate and reasonable goal expectation to have with him, I too would expect between 10 and 15 goals in a season where he stays healthy. The nice thing with the type of player Diaz is, and we already saw a glimpse or two of that, is that despite him scoring less than players like Jota or Salah some of those goals will come at moments where the rest of our frontline is unable to score for a reason or another. That cut to the inside followed by the curler 3 or 4 yards before the edge of the box is amazing when it connects and can be what unlocks a game against a very compact and low block opponent

He has also shown that he can score with his head. With Mac and Dominik coming into the midfield I suspect the aim is to be not so wholly reliant on the front three for goals moving forward.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #370: Jul 20, 2023 08:05:07 am
      I thought we missed Diaz in a big way last season. One of the few players we have who will take on defenders and create opportunities for himself and others using his dribbling skills.

Personally I like a front three of Diaz, Jota and Salah. Plus we have great options with Gakpo and Nunez. We look in great shape up top if they can all stay fit.

If Diaz is fit I’m expecting at least ten goals from him this season.

Diaz & Jota were the biggest misses last season, if we had them fit for most of the season we would have finished top 4.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,113 posts | 2131 
      Reply #371: Jul 20, 2023 11:57:31 am
      I was thinking 'do I expect too much of him when wanting more goals and assists?' I think I do especially when I consider his out standing work rate. That work rate alone will free up space for others, goals and points for us. Definitely a big miss last season.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #372: Jul 24, 2023 08:19:36 pm
      What a solo goal. Keep it up.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #373: Aug 14, 2023 08:32:09 am
      Great goal but he really does fade away doesn’t he.

Before coming off he looked knackered and was jogging instead of pressing. Was kind of pissing me off.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #374: Aug 17, 2023 03:19:11 pm

Before coming off he looked knackered and was jogging instead of pressing. Was kind of pissing me off.

Hopefully Luis's fitness will improve, it is early days. Bar injury he will be an important player scoring and contributing plenty this season !
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #375: Aug 17, 2023 03:33:33 pm

He was out for a long time, he's also a very explosive player so tends to fatigue faster than others.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #376: Aug 17, 2023 04:44:08 pm
      He was out for a long time, he's also a very explosive player so tends to fatigue faster than others.

Too true, I am sure we will see the best of Luis, as the season unfolds !
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 879 posts | 115 
      Reply #377: Aug 19, 2023 04:57:22 pm
      MOTM today and carried the ball very well. Getting back to his best.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #378: Aug 19, 2023 11:54:19 pm
      What a goal from Lucho today?!?!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,243 posts | 1112 
      Reply #379: Aug 20, 2023 01:12:40 am
      People talking like he's injured after coming off. I didn't see it like that and Kloppo didn't say anything about him being injured. Said TAA was probably going to be okay
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #380: Aug 20, 2023 02:45:24 am
      What a goal, a example of Latin skill. He flicked up the ball in their box when we are losing and what a strike.

I don't think he's injured, more of a fatigue issue after helping Robbo more defensively.

What a player.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #381: Aug 20, 2023 10:47:03 am
      My favourite player…♥️
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #382: Aug 20, 2023 01:45:39 pm
      F***ing hell that flick before the goal, touch of class there with that one. Being down the other end of the ground, didn't get on to the flick before the goal, only saw it on Motd
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #383: Aug 20, 2023 03:59:06 pm
      So far, this lad is proving me wrong. I said that he was more the type of winger that is tricky, carries the ball, cuts on the inside and shoots, but not so much the scoring winger type (your Manes, Salah Jota). He seems to have no problem scoring at all  ;D. If he keeps it up he'll easily score 15+ this season and will make that LW his.

I really struggled to decide who was MOTM between him and Szobo yesterday (although Ali also had a decent shout in my opinion). Lad was all over that left flank until we subbed him off. I also like that he seems to have added more vision to his game. I remember when he first signed for us it was a bit frustrating to watch him dribble past those players and but not lift his head to see what were his options. He's doing that much more regularly now and dishes out nice passes to players in spaces that were created by him pulling defenders towards him when his cuts to the inside.

Keep it up, Lucho!!!!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,387 posts | 1542 
      Reply #384: Aug 22, 2023 10:45:52 pm
      And is Louis injured, or was he withdrawn due to fatigue as suggested.
      He was rubbing his groin and hammy before he came off.
      Hope there’s no issues for the weekend.
      Anyone have any news on this ?
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,248 posts | 1226 
      Reply #385: Aug 22, 2023 10:53:31 pm
      And is Louis injured, or was he withdrawn due to fatigue as suggested.
      He was rubbing his groin and hammy before he came off.
      Hope there’s no issues for the weekend.
      Anyone have any news on this ?

Seems to be ok mate - was in training earlier today. Also, got him in my fantasy team and no warning flag has appeared. I can see him going on a bit of run again like he did when he first joined.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #386: Aug 22, 2023 11:24:09 pm
      So far, this lad is proving me wrong. I said that he was more the type of winger that is tricky, carries the ball, cuts on the inside and shoots, but not so much the scoring winger type (your Manes, Salah Jota). He seems to have no problem scoring at all  ;D. If he keeps it up he'll easily score 15+ this season and will make that LW his.

I really struggled to decide who was MOTM between him and Szobo yesterday (although Ali also had a decent shout in my opinion). Lad was all over that left flank until we subbed him off. I also like that he seems to have added more vision to his game. I remember when he first signed for us it was a bit frustrating to watch him dribble past those players and but not lift his head to see what were his options. He's doing that much more regularly now and dishes out nice passes to players in spaces that were created by him pulling defenders towards him when his cuts to the inside.

Keep it up, Lucho!!!!

2 in 2 is a great return.

Not sure where nunes fits in as Jota has to start for me.
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #387: Aug 23, 2023 12:53:42 am

Agree, which is why it's kind of puzzling that we broke our transfer record for someone who's not guaranteed to start.
      Scottbot

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #388: Aug 23, 2023 08:37:32 am

Keep it up, Lucho!!!!

He seems to be playing much closer to the penalty box this season in the same way that Mane used to get himself in there often. It's great to see, he's so good at making space for himself and he strikes the ball well. He's also shown that he is strong in the air. We mised him massively last season so it's great to see him evolving.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #389: Aug 23, 2023 09:21:54 am

Nunez’s  time will come, Jota is ahead for his experience and he is a better finisher, and arguably he’s more of a Jack in the box striker, Nunez has pace to kill, can attack more from outside the box as well as inside, both are very good in the air,
      Of course Darwin will want to play each week as too will Jota, and as I’ve alluded to before we have the luxury of two absolute quality strikers to work with back up our World Class Mo Salah, this season is for Nunez a learning curve, think we can all agree he’s beginning to settle in, his relationship with Mo a working progress and is becoming better and better after each training session, for Jota though, it’s water off a ducks back !!

YNWA
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,608 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #390: Aug 23, 2023 09:42:00 am

Nunez’s  time will come, Jota is ahead for his experience and he is a better finisher, and arguably he’s more of a Jack in the box striker, Nunez has pace to kill, can attack more from outside the box as well as inside, both are very good in the air,
      Of course Darwin will want to play each week as too will Jota, and as I’ve alluded to before we have the luxury of two absolute quality strikers to work with back up our World Class Mo Salah, this season is for Nunez a learning curve, think we can all agree he’s beginning to settle in, his relationship with Mo a working progress and is becoming better and better after each training session, for Jota though, it’s water off a ducks back !!

YNWA

There will be plenty rotation for Nunez to start games. Long season.

Quick Reply