Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

The title run in

Read 43183 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,418 posts | 2835 
      Re: The title run in
      Reply #92: Apr 23, 2022 10:59:48 pm
      Let's be honest, Brighton and Watford at home was never going to be the week City let us in. The sole focus for us this week is to beat our two biggest rivals to stay in touch. Half the job done but the bigger half to be done tomorrow.

Leeds, Wolves, West Ham (if they don't get to the Europa League final) and Villa are the teams that might help us out.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,665 posts | 1599 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #93: Apr 23, 2022 11:05:16 pm

another lump but they believe it to be scar tissue, but they are going to take a biopsy to make sure, so itā€™s looking very good as far as being cancer free, but Iā€™m not going to celebrate just yet until Iā€™m officially in remission, so I want to thank all of you very very much for having my back, I wish I could meet you all and shake your hands, the support has at times been overwhelming,
      We see now and again how fans of this club show compassion for others, like the ovation for Ronaldo on Tuesday, we truly have the best fans in the world, I can vouch for that, so thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you for your support the last 10 months, fully appreciated. ā¤ļø You guys 😁

Y  N  W  A

Billy mate that's just the best news, absolutely made up for you and if I could I'd give you the biggest hug EVER !!  :hug: :hug: :hug: Keep smiling, love Cas xx

I dedicate my 1000th post to you Sir
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #94: Apr 23, 2022 11:11:18 pm
      Perspective......
      Tomorrow is going to be joyous as we tear apart Everton....
      Up or down high and lows we always have the mighty Reds to look forward to.
      Well in Billy mate.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #95: Apr 24, 2022 01:51:10 am
      Seems mad that Tuesday night we were 2 points clear and now by the time we play Everton we are 4 behind. 2 more convincing wins from City in a short space of time.

Pressure fully back onto us now. Itā€™s like 18/19 all over again with it going back and forth.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,824 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #96: Apr 24, 2022 08:47:27 am

I still have nightmares about the Kompany screamer against Leicester! Bald c**t!

The one that slab head Maguire ducked out of the way of!!! He puts his head in the way...A) It gets taken off and B) we win the Title!!

Stupid c**t!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,115 posts | 2740 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #97: Apr 24, 2022 10:16:18 am
      The one that slab head Maguire ducked out of the way of!!! He puts his head in the way...A) It gets taken off and B) we win the Title!!

Stupid c**t!

Your not biased by any chance are you Ian  :lmao:
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #98: Apr 25, 2022 10:18:16 am
      Seems mad that Tuesday night we were 2 points clear and now by the time we play Everton we are 4 behind. 2 more convincing wins from City in a short space of time.

Pressure fully back onto us now. Itā€™s like 18/19 all over again with it going back and forth.

We are still mathematically in it. If Barca can be playing in the EL, every outcome is possible in football. Fingers crossed!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #99: Apr 25, 2022 10:46:24 am
      we need Leeds to lose tonight so they will be up for it and needing to win against City the Newcastle game will be interesting now they are safe.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #100: Apr 25, 2022 11:06:24 am
      we need Leeds to lose tonight so they will be up for it and needing to win against City the Newcastle game will be interesting now they are safe.

Exactly, Newcastle will play football because they can learn from the match and they are safe. Palace will need to beat Leeds so to put Leeds in the contention of the possibility to be relegated.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #101: Apr 25, 2022 11:20:57 am
      Exactly, Newcastle will play football because they can learn from the match and they are safe. Palace will need to beat Leeds so to put Leeds in the contention of the possibility to be relegated.

Leeds need a win  or two to ensure safety hopefully City will fall at Elland road but it is unlikely isnt it
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #102: Apr 25, 2022 11:25:34 am

Leeds need a win  or two to ensure safety hopefully City will fall at Elland road but it is unlikely isnt it

There is a slim chance but first and foremost, we need to win the Geordies so to put more pressure on them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #103: Apr 25, 2022 07:11:42 pm

Good shout that.

Keep things interesting.
      DanMann

• 5,778 posts | 889 
      Reply #104: Apr 25, 2022 11:34:10 pm
      Draw is enough to keep Leeds fighting for survival.

Spurs is a big worry.. and as mentioned, Newcastle could decide it for us or them.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #105: Apr 26, 2022 11:00:15 am
      Draw is enough to keep Leeds fighting for survival.

Spurs is a big worry.. and as mentioned, Newcastle could decide it for us or them.

deffon mate they need to beat City of Burnley and Everton could drag them into the race to the bottom
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #106: Apr 26, 2022 11:27:55 am
      We just need to keep winning.

City squad being stretched by injuries, so lets see what happens.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #107: Apr 26, 2022 12:45:25 pm
      I think Wolves away is a potential banana skin for them
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,005 posts | 224 
      Reply #108: Apr 26, 2022 03:30:58 pm
      We need a hard game tonight with only 1 goal difference even a draw so they rest players over the weekend before they play the 2nd leg away next week
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #109: Apr 26, 2022 03:43:33 pm
      They will crack, we just need to be on our A game from now on...
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #110: Apr 26, 2022 04:49:32 pm
      Interesting view. But it's no crystal ball. And this guy talks a lot!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/29327/12598880/man-city-or-liverpool-jamie-carragher-gives-his-premier-league-title-race-analysis-and-says-both-sides-will-drop-points

Man City or Liverpool? Carra breaks down title run-in
      Jamie Carragher on Monday Night Football: "I can see both Liverpool and Man City dropping points"; Sky Sports pundit assesses title rivals and explains why their perceived weaknesses - Liverpool's high line and City's lack of a striker - are actually strengths

Jamie Carragher
      Football Expert and Columnist

Tuesday 26 April 2022 13:25, UK

Jamie Carragher analysed Liverpool and Manchester City's strengths and weaknesses on Monday Night Football and examined the areas which could cause them to drop points as the Premier League title race goes to the wire.

Pep Guardiola and JĆ¼rgen Klopp's sides are still separated by a single point at the top of the Premier League table having beaten Watford and Everton respectively at the weekend.

They have five games each left to play, with Liverpool facing what looks like the trickier run-in on paper, but Carragher believes both sides will slip up between now and the end of the campaign.

"We're talking about two brilliant teams," the Sky Sports pundit said on Monday Night Football. "You can't really split them in an area of the game, but I can see both of them dropping points."

Man City sit one point ahead of Liverpool with five games to play

'Liverpool have a big advantage in attack'

Carragher opened his analysis by explaining why Liverpool's firepower may give them an advantage over City.

"Liverpool have the slight edge in attack and in terms of goals per game," he said. "They have scored 85 games, Man City 80.

"We talk about Man City not having a striker, but the goals are still absolutely phenomenal.

"But Man City's top scorer is De Bruyne with 11, and for Liverpool it's Salah with 22. There's a big difference.

Liverpool's attacking numbers are superior to Man City's

"Man City obviously spread the goals out a bit more, but the numbers in terms of their top scorers show Liverpool have a big advantage in attack."

He added: "If Man City are to drop points, it would be down to the fact they could have games where they fail to score.

"Man City have failed to score in four games this season - Liverpool only one - and they have only scored once in seven games too, so that's 11 games where they have scored one goal or zero goals.

"So, you think, if Man City are going to drop points, it must be from a 0-0, there's been evidence of that this season in games that we've seen."

Man City have dropped points on eight occasions this season

Former striker Robbie Keane, Carragher's guest on Monday Night Football, added: "It's incredible, when you look at the whole season, how well Man City have done without having an out-and-out striker.

"If they had a young Sergio Aguero, from four or five years ago, I think the league would be over by now.

"The football they play is incredible to watch. They get bodies in the box and they do score a lot of goals.

"But these are the times when you need a number nine, a fox in the box. I think that's where they could slip up, especially in tight games."

'Why Man City have a defensive edge'

While City have often dropped points in low-scoring games, Liverpool slip-ups have often been more chaotic affairs.

"We should add that lot of those games where Liverpool dropped points were early on in the season and there has been a change, defensively, in the second half of the season," said Carragher.

Liverpool have dropped points in nine Premier League games

"But, if Liverpool drop points, you feel like it wouldn't be a 0-0, it would be a 2-2.

"The perceived weaknesses of the two sides are that City haven't got a striker, and Liverpool's high line. But I think in some ways those are both strengths for them as well.

"The defensive stats show City have the edge.

"Most people would say Liverpool have the best defender in the world in Virgil van Dijk, but as a team, City are better defensively and that might have something to do with not having a striker.

"Maybe having more control of the ball in the game means people can't attack them.

Man City have an edge defensively, according to the stats

"But again, the numbers are very close. Goals conceded per game, there's nothing in it.

"Where there is a big difference is the xG per game. It's almost a third higher for Liverpool.

"There's nothing in the clean sheets but the big one that stands out is that Manchester City have only conceded one goal from a set-piece, Liverpool seven."

'Liverpool's high line is a strength, not a weakness'

Asked why Liverpool allow their opponents better chances than City, with expected goals data ranking Liverpool 14th in the Premier League for xG per shot faced, Carragher explained: "A lot of those situations through people running through on goal against Alisson.

"I've just mentioned how Man City not having a striker is in some ways a strength, and it's the same with Liverpool's high line.

"The first reason why they play a high line is that they want to press high to keep their team compact.

Liverpool's high line also helps them press their opponents high up the pitch

"In terms of high turnovers ending in shots on goal, they have the highest in the Premier League and have more than double as many goals as any other team from those situations.

"The other reason why they play a high line is the amount of times they catch the opposition offside.

"There's massive difference between Liverpool (131 offsides) compared to Man City, who are the next best (82).

"So, people question the high line, but Liverpool get so much from it.

Liverpool have caught opponents offside 131 times this season

"When you play this type of style, you need top players to do it and they have the best defender in the world in Van Dijk and for me the best goalkeeper in the world in Alisson.

"It doesn't always go right and sometimes I do question it, but a lot of the time it comes from body positions. When they have problems, it's not about how high they are up the pitch, it's because body positions aren't right. Body positions are everything when you're playing a high line."

Carragher believes Tottenham, in particular, will fancy their chances of exploiting Liverpool's high line given how Harry Kane is able to pick out Heung-Min Son's runs in behind, but he believes Alisson's presence in goal is key to reducing the risk.

Alisson is the Premier League's best goalkeeper in one-on-one situations

"The third reason why they play a high line is that Liverpool have the best goalkeeper in the world in dealing with these situations," added Carragher "You know he's great in those positions.

"For me, the best goalkeeper in the world at one on ones. The stats show Liverpool should have conceded eight more goals than they have through one on ones this season.

"That is the difference. They back their goalkeeper to deal with it every single game because they have the best to deal with it. On top of that, the high line has helped them in terms of going forward, and scoring goals themselves.

"So, when people say this high line is a problem, I go back to what I said about Manchester City's false nine.

"They are perceived weakness - and they only need to go wrong once between now and the end of the season, that could cost either team the title.

"But they are not massive problems for either team, they are actually strengths."

Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #111: Apr 26, 2022 11:33:47 pm
      Glad City didn't cruise it tonight, they really should have been 4-0 up inside 30 minutes. I still think they will win in Madrid because they are a much better side than Real but it's important that they have to battle and fight and use energy and hopefully, that might cause them to drop some points either this weekend or next.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #112: Apr 27, 2022 04:04:42 pm
      Entertaining game, personally if we get to the final I want Real Madrid (owe them one) but think as a neutral that game was as good as it gets for a UCL semi-final. All to play for in the second leg.
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #113: Apr 28, 2022 12:36:59 pm
      And we're back to it!!

Of all the games left in our League schedule this is the one that concerns me the most. Wonder if Klopp looks to rotate a little more for this one? It's a very short turnaround. It's a risk either way, the barcodes are in good form, particularly at home.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,660 posts | 489 
      Reply #114: Apr 28, 2022 03:37:13 pm
      And we're back to it!!

Of all the games left in our League schedule this is the one that concerns me the most. Wonder if Klopp looks to rotate a little more for this one? It's a very short turnaround. It's a risk either way, the barcodes are in good form, particularly at home.

I think, looking at Eddie Howe's record against JĆ¼rgen, think only that freak result 4-3 comes to mind, happened back in 2016, apart from that we have bested his team so far. Expecting the same on Saturday , regardless of Newcastle's form.

Quick Reply