Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Real Madrid; Champions League Final, May 28th: 8pm

Read 15973 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Real Madrid; Champions League Final, May 28th: 8pm
      May 25, 2022 01:32:02 am
      Biggest match of the season to close the season.

Chance to win the biggest club prize in football, for the SEVENTH TIME.

It's been a great season, but a long one, and we have some major lineup questions heading into this one, led by Thiago and Fabinho. Looks to me like we'll be the betting underdogs for this one, but that suits us just fine. Chance for the mentality monsters to claim a little more history. Let's do this.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022 09:35:42 am by JD »
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,078 posts | 630 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Real Madrid; Champions League Final, May 28th: 8pm
      Reply #1: May 25, 2022 02:16:33 am
      No matter what some idiot pundits might say, this is THE most important game in club football.

Both teams have been there before, and we are not the same beast Real defeated in 2018. If anything, I believe we come into the game as the favourites. We are the team on the rise, and Real is slowly coming at the end of a cycle. Still, they should never be underestimated.

For once, the team selection doesn't write itself. There are question marks around a few players' fitness. There will be many interesting choices ahead for the staff...

In defense, assuming he is fit, who should partner big Virg', Matip or Konaté? I know Ibou has usually been preferred in the CL, but he's still prone to the odd mistake, so I'd go for the safe choice with Joel.

In midfield, who should be alongside Hendo? My personal preference would be Keita and one of Fabi/Thiago (I wouldn't start both unless they're 100%, without a shadow of a doubt, fit).

For the front 3, do we go with the tried and trusted (Sadio, Bobby, Mo), or do we mix it up? Starting with Diaz would put Carvajal on the back foot, but he could also be a game changer coming from the bench, which isn't something I see in Diogo/Bobby.

Damn you Robby for starting the thread (not really, though  ;)), now I can't wait for Saturday...

:clap:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: May 25, 2022 06:22:37 am
      If Fabinho and Thiago are unfit.

NB: Team no longer available

If any of them are fit, they would replace Firmino and Keita.

We just need to win this and make a brilliant season.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #3: May 25, 2022 06:33:33 am
      I think Fabinho starts this one. Klopp said he was ready to start training with the team this week. Not like he has missed many games so fitness and rhythm won’t be a concern. If he’s back training for at least 2 sessions then he’s in. Thiago on the other hand, probably not, but hopefully he can at least make the bench.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,946 posts | 1353 
      Reply #4: May 25, 2022 09:01:38 am
      I would still be tempted to play Bobby if Fab makes it. He is not the easiest player to pick up, as he drifts all over the shop and if Hendo and Fab play that should give us plenty of protection. And as I said it could throw Real a curveball.

Another issue is how to get the best out of Bobby as I don't think he's really in the frame for a striking place anymore. Sort of Teddy Sherringham role drifting just off the front 3 accros the line.

If Fab doesn't make it that plan goes out the window.
      « Last Edit: May 25, 2022 09:06:47 am by Harrisimo »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #5: May 25, 2022 09:39:01 am
      Without Thiago, and doubts over Virgil and Fabinho's fitness this isn't the build up Klopp probably had planned.

Total 50/50 at the minute for me.  We need to put in an 8/10 performance and not some of the 6/10's of recent weeks that have been good enough to get Premier League wins.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #6: May 25, 2022 09:51:46 am
      I get the performance have not been great on the eye but this team have found a way to win in so many different way I think we are better prepared for this final than any other and they will motivated to win the 3rd trophy this season.
      Not expecting a comfortable night but not expecting any major disaster  either.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: May 25, 2022 09:59:39 am
      Salah & VVD will start, the other lads who have been injured will be on the bench to come on for last 30 or extra time if needed.

Fully expecting another 120mins and penners. ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,010 posts | 2735 
      Reply #8: May 25, 2022 10:07:42 am
      No Thiago or Fab puts Madrid favourites, one of them fit has it even and if both start (which I really doubt) then I think we start favourites. Maybe with us having 5 subs Jürgen might be a bit more tempted to risk the midfield duo.

Madrid have had a strange run, they've put away 3 very good teams by delivering when it really mattered but in all 3 games they spent large spells being completely outplayed. Hopefully with it being a one off game they don't have the time to adjust and regroup if we start well.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #9: May 25, 2022 10:45:36 am
      They train today so we’ll have a better idea if Thiago and Fabinho are likely to take part. I fancy that both of them will be involved in training, have a good feeling about it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: May 25, 2022 11:08:48 am
      Hoping for a Salah masterclass, he's due to have a match winning performance and really wants it in this final.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #11: May 25, 2022 12:03:52 pm
      I'm sure if we start strong and outplay them there wont be a way back for them like it was in the other games.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,010 posts | 2735 
      Reply #12: May 25, 2022 12:11:50 pm
      Everyone seems to be in training bar Thiago.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,956 posts | 658 
      Reply #13: May 25, 2022 12:21:15 pm
      Hoping for a Salah masterclass, he's due to have a match winning performance and really wants it in this final.
      The grandest of stages, with an audience into the hundreds of thousands, these are the times and places where true greatness is defined.

Just 3 more nights sleep
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #14: May 25, 2022 12:30:41 pm
      Get into those Franco loving cu*ts right from the off.

We owe them.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #15: May 25, 2022 12:58:18 pm
      Nervous about this one. Our boys are mentally and physically exhausted. But I’m sure they will be able to put forth the effort for this game. RM are well rested.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: May 25, 2022 01:06:39 pm
      Nervous about this one. Our boys are mentally and physically exhausted. But I’m sure they will be able to put forth the effort for this game. RM are well rested.

our boys dont do tired and they want to get even for the game we had stolen from us between Karius and Mo's assault.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #17: May 25, 2022 01:08:46 pm
      I am sure the lads will show plenty of determination come Saturday, to beat Real Madrid in the final in Paris. This would complete a unique treble and go down in history for many years to come !
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #18: May 25, 2022 01:58:54 pm
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,946 posts | 1353 
      Reply #19: May 25, 2022 02:03:52 pm
      Will be a battle for sure but Benzema is 34, Modric is 36..Hazzard hasn't scored all season so they have a few issues. What I want us to do is press and don't dither on the pass. We have been making that extra pass in midfield that has slowed us down.

Flair players like Mane, Salah, Jota and Diaz need that extra yard of space but it closes quickly so see the gap or yard of space then shift it.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #20: May 25, 2022 02:05:06 pm
      It would be nice if our beloved Redmen could do this the easy way just this one time.
      3-0 up at H/T then a second half master class of no worry football followed by a 85th minute 4th goal followed by a rendition of the travelling Kop singing " Are you watching Manchester".
      Childish I know but who cares.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #21: May 25, 2022 02:10:40 pm
      Vinicus & Benzema, cut the supply out to these two, only 2 that worry me..

I F***ing hope we smash these fuckers to oblivion.. Mane, Salah & Diaz to dazzle these fuckers..
      britlfc
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #22: May 25, 2022 02:12:16 pm
       Hello there!
      First post ever, from Portugal.The very thing I was afraid happened:we knew city were almost impossible to catch but still we risk muscle injuries, fighting until last minute.Madrid will be completly rested, we have Virgil, Fabinho, Thiago, Mou and even Origi without physical form suitable for the ultimate final.Of all the teams, it had to be the one who stole us Mou and cashed in from Karius TWICE ( none of that ever seen in a CL final ) in 2018, to benefit from so many injuries!

Quick Reply