Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)

Read 93831 times
      KeepTheFaith, PastorGeek, higgy_sham and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Re: Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)
      Reply #138: Aug 16, 2022 10:35:14 am
      He's a kid. He'll learn.

It's a thin line between letting a cb know you're not gonna be bullied and over-reacting.

I, personally, would love if he turns out to be a proper nasty b***ard that looks after himself. He just needs to understand when he's being would up and when to issue some summary justice.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #139: Aug 16, 2022 10:37:54 am
      F**k the fire - missing 3 games through idiotic acts like that is massively detrimental to the team. Needs to cut that sh*te out now

Won't be the first and won't be the last it happens . I think everyone realizes its detrimental
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #140: Aug 16, 2022 10:42:25 am
      I'm not as worried about his temperament as I am about his presence on the pitch. Cantona, Maradona, Zidane, Suarez, all had that mad genius about them. What I am more concerned about, is Nunez's technical ability, erratic finishing, and decision-making (football-wise).

Yes he's quick, strong, and tall, so he's going to be a handful for defenders, but I can't help but think that when he's on the pitch, we change the way we play. The ball is more in the air and we put in more crosses (which admittedly, have been terrible as far as giving Nunez service).

Perhaps it was because we changed personnel and had that "10 men mentality", but when he was sent off, I also think, we started to play better - because we played more like we have been (i.e. when Nunez wasn't at Liverpool). Ours is a system that has won us League, FA Cup, World Club Cup, Champions League, and that long-desired League title. He needs to accommodate us more than we need to accommodate him. In short, I'm just not convinced he is the right signing - for our system. Something might have to change, and quickly.

rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #141: Aug 16, 2022 11:32:19 am
      I'm not as worried about his temperament as I am about his presence on the pitch. Cantona, Maradona, Zidane, Suarez, all had that mad genius about them. What I am more concerned about, is Nunez's technical ability, erratic finishing, and decision-making (football-wise).

Yes he's quick, strong, and tall, so he's going to be a handful for defenders, but I can't help but think that when he's on the pitch, we change the way we play. The ball is more in the air and we put in more crosses (which admittedly, have been terrible as far as giving Nunez service).

Perhaps it was because we changed personnel and had that "10 men mentality", but when he was sent off, I also think, we started to play better - because we played more like we have been (i.e. when Nunez wasn't at Liverpool). Ours is a system that has won us League, FA Cup, World Club Cup, Champions League, and that long-desired League title. He needs to accommodate us more than we need to accommodate him. In short, I'm just not convinced he is the right signing - for our system. Something might have to change, and quickly.

How he strikes a ball worries me at times ,mishit the one off post and then skewed the chance after . He has work to do no doubt about it but it can be worked on . He is raw but spending that much money will only add more pressure from outside and even own fans
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #142: Aug 16, 2022 12:05:33 pm
      Yes he's quick, strong, and

Yet last week when he came off the bench and changed the game completely causing choas in the box and resulted us scoring a couple goals.

Having that option is good, it will take time for him to get use to use to the system.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      Reply #143: Aug 16, 2022 12:38:09 pm
      Yet last week when he came off the bench and changed the game completely causing choas in the box and resulted us scoring a couple goals.

Having that option is good, it will take time for him to get use to use to the system.
      Yup. It's early days for him. Whilst he looks raw, he undoubtedly has talent.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,113 posts | 2740 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #144: Aug 16, 2022 01:04:00 pm
      Yup. It's early days for him. Whilst he looks raw, he undoubtedly has talent.

Totally agree, far far to early to assess him. He did bad last nite and deserved his red card like all of you said. Pretty sure  Klopp will make sure he sees the error of his ways very quickly.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #145: Aug 16, 2022 01:12:47 pm
      in a perverse way I am glad he has shown us he has fight in him and now he knows how he will be targeted he can get his speedos on and start diving if he gets touched go down .
      He is a raw Torres he will be awesome its just a case of when at this point
      DanMann

• 5,778 posts | 889 
      Reply #146: Aug 16, 2022 01:24:56 pm
      Have a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJB9SlRM6H4

Several moments when Andersen was taking digs at him, and Nunez was reacting. Could our bench not have seen this earlier and prevented the red card?? I didn't pick up on this from the live footage, but the bench would have had a better view at the 'afters' going on off screen. Lessons to be learnt for Nunez.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #147: Aug 16, 2022 01:28:16 pm
      in a perverse way I am glad he has shown us he has fight in him and now he knows how he will be targeted he can get his speedos on and start diving if he gets touched go down .
      I had the same thought yesterday. I love a player who has this type of fire in him as long as he can control it and use it for the benefit of his team. I think it will be a lesson learned for him. And like you said, he now knows he'll be targeted and that he needs to control himself, so hopefully he starts making those defenders pay by not losing his focus as well as diving (just like that c**t ''Andersen'' did when Darwin's head barely touched his mouth).
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      Reply #148: Aug 16, 2022 02:44:02 pm
      Have a look at this.

Several moments when Andersen was taking digs at him, and Nunez was reacting. Could our bench not have seen this earlier and prevented the red card?? I didn't pick up on this from the live footage, but the bench would have had a better view at the 'afters' going on off screen. Lessons to be learnt for Nunez.
      And that's the thing. Most, me included, thought the lad had reacted just because of that incident, but it looks like he'd been poked a lot of times. Not condoning what he did; he has to learn to put up with that and shut them up by scoring.

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #149: Aug 16, 2022 02:59:11 pm
      Have a look at this.

Could have been off at 5 already if that slap hit Andersen.

I see very little wrong with anything Andersen did in that entire video. It’s a contact sport. Solid CB play against an other big and strong lad. Nunez needs to grow a pair if he thinks there was anything wrong with that and if other CB’s won’t be doing the same. Get on with it and let your feet do the talking.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #150: Aug 16, 2022 04:57:52 pm
      Have a look at this.

I think if Hendo was on th epitch earlier he would have had a word but so should Milner and Mo.
      DanMann

• 5,778 posts | 889 
      Reply #151: Aug 16, 2022 05:01:04 pm

Agree. He got lucky. But this must have been obvious to those around him and on the bench, and we should have stopped him or subbed him earlier.

He's obviously a feisty one which can be very positive if channelled correctly.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,020 posts | 3955 
      Reply #152: Aug 16, 2022 05:06:09 pm

I see very little wrong with anything Andersen did in that entire video. It’s a contact sport. Solid CB play against an other big and strong lad. Nunez needs to grow a pair if he thinks there was anything wrong with that and if other CB’s won’t be doing the same. Get on with it and let your feet do the talking.

saw the whole game and Andersen appeared to be following instructions ie wind the lad up and get a reaction, actually more of their crew seemed to be using the same MO.

Agree. He got lucky. But this must have been obvious to those around him and on the bench, and we should have stopped him or subbed him earlier.

He's obviously a feisty one which can be very positive if channelled correctly.

The ref should have had a word with Andersen, he was provoking Nunez all night looking for a reaction.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,113 posts | 2740 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #153: Aug 16, 2022 05:38:44 pm

The ref should have had a word with Andersen, he was provoking Nunez all night looking for a reaction.

I can’t agree, much as I don’t like it it’s become part and parcel of the game to encourage players to lose their cool which is exactly what he did. Sadly it’s just another part of tactics that worked to a tee
      rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #154: Aug 16, 2022 06:06:03 pm
      I can’t agree, much as I don’t like it it’s become part and parcel of the game to encourage players to lose their cool which is exactly what he did. Sadly it’s just another part of tactics that worked to a tee
      Don't mind the wind up I did it all time at Cricket and sometimes I got them out , the others just laughed and smashed it further . Its about picking your battles
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,140 posts | 3465 
      Reply #155: Aug 16, 2022 08:35:25 pm
      Just needs to calm down - he is rushing everything
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,824 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #156: Aug 17, 2022 02:59:39 am
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,158 posts | 261 
      Reply #157: Aug 17, 2022 03:20:27 pm
      harrydunn08

• 5,924 posts | 966 
      Reply #158: Aug 17, 2022 04:29:30 pm

Yeah, his touch can be a bit loose at times and he definitely isn't as silky or skillful as some other players we've had over the years.  However, I also think some of this is exacerbated by his desperation to prove himself in our team and justify his transfer fee.  You can see that he feels the weight of it on his shoulders, and I think some of that was what caused him to boil over in his moment of madness against Palace.  If he can settle down and quietly have a few good games when his suspension is up, then I do think we'll see some of these concerns correct themselves. 

I think it just a matter of finding the right blend of the two approaches.  We can't completely abandon our pass and move style just to suit Darwin, nor can overlook the direct route all the time.  If we play the slow buildup with pass and move, then mix in the odd Route-1 long ball to allow him to stretch the game, that will be the winning formula in my opinion. 

I have the same opinion.  Very raw, but very talented.  Will be massive for us in time. 
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      Reply #159: Aug 17, 2022 07:25:14 pm
      Torres was 23 when he joined us and so is Nunez. I'm referring to the similarities being made between both of them.

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2022 08:00:09 pm by Rush »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #160: Aug 17, 2022 08:43:00 pm
      I had the same thought yesterday. I love a player who has this type of fire in him as long as he can control it and use it for the benefit of his team. I think it will be a lesson learned for him. And like you said, he now knows he'll be targeted and that he needs to control himself, so hopefully he starts making those defenders pay by not losing his focus as well as diving (just like that c**t ''Andersen'' did when Darwin's head barely touched his mouth).

he can phone up Suarez to give him some advice just dont listen to the bit about bighting

Quick Reply