Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W8 D1 L0

Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)

Read 97298 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,677 posts | 6973 
      Re: Darwin Núñez Player Thread (F)
      Reply #1564: May 08, 2024 11:47:09 am
      Two years in and I can't say I've seen a huge improvement.

All this deleting photos business doesn't look like the sign of a man with his head screwed on either.

Back in the Champions League next season, so I'd expect us to look for somebody a little bit more proven than what ultimately turned out to be an expensive gamble.  At present he is probably a good option for the last 20 minutes of a game.  He isn't in a starting XI of a team that wants to win things.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,220 posts | 1108 
      Reply #1565: May 08, 2024 12:32:10 pm

All this deleting photos business doesn't look like the sign of a man with his head screwed on either.

Back in the Champions League next season, so I'd expect us to look for somebody a little bit more proven than what ultimately turned out to be an expensive gamble.  At present he is probably a good option for the last 20 minutes of a game.  He isn't in a starting XI of a team that wants to win things.
      I don't lose sight that there is a human being behind the abuse, but like you said, this is not how you deal with stuff. F**k anyone sending death threats or saying abusive stuff or bringing up his family. Outside of that, this is the gig. In 2024 this comes with the territory, whether right or wrong.

Darwin has a lot of talent, but seems to lack the IQ of a top player. Maybe one more year helps. Maybe Slot can being out the best in him. Maybe the new system and turnover hurts him. I dunno anything. But I know deleting stuff about the club is a childish move. Don't read comments, bro. Anyone who's sending you sh*t like that is a loser. Who gives a F**k about losers?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,222 posts | 4418 
      Reply #1566: May 08, 2024 12:33:46 pm

Would agree with most of that, it’s not just his ridiculous misses in front of goal but the fact he has not improved in the other sides of forward play even the basics like controlling a ball, staying onside
      Despite his size we can’t  even use him as a get out to get us up the pitch because of his poor ball control and retention.

Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,735 posts | 157 
      Reply #1567: May 08, 2024 12:36:16 pm
      Are these Barca links BS ? I fail to see how Barca are gonna afford him anyway.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,209 posts | 3478 
      Reply #1568: May 08, 2024 01:08:18 pm
      Are these Barca links BS ? I fail to see how Barca are gonna afford him anyway.

Yes - it’s standard click bait nonsense
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,174 posts | 264 
      Reply #1569: May 08, 2024 02:23:17 pm
                                  Darwin Nunez                                           
      1st season    42 games  15 goals  4 assists                 
      2nd season   52 games  18 goals 13 assists               

Sadio Mane
      1st season    29 games  13 goals  7 assists
      2nd season   44 games   20 goals  9 assists

editted :  First I put this on PC then just saw it now on a phone screen  it's complte maze.

I just try to look in perspective comparing Darwins first two seasons with Sadios for goal and assist. For me money spent besides Darwins return for goals and assist deserve a chance to work with our new system and new manager.
      At this point imo its just waste to think too much of things as it's better wait and see our new manager/coaches and boards setting up their works after our great boss Jürgen Klopp.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2024 02:08:32 am by skolRED »
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,084 posts | 209 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1570: May 08, 2024 02:38:44 pm
                                  Darwin Nunez                                            Sadio Mane
      1st season    42 games  15 goals  4 assists                 29 games  13 goals  7 assists
      2nd season   52 games  18 goals 13 assists                44 games   20 goals  9 assists

Nunez will have the fact he was brought in for around double what Mane was used against him, first season he was used 50% on the left and 50% down the middle but this season he's been used 90% down the middle, so that's another thing that'll be used against him.

The thing with stats is you can always handpick them depending on what side of the argument you are.

Nunez 22/23 season - Total minutes: 2365 which equates to 26.2 games.
      Nunez 23/24 season - Total minutes: 2992 which equates to 33.2 games.

Mane 16/17 season - Total minutes: 2427 which equates to 26.9 games.
      Mane 17/18 season - Total minutes: 3480 which equates to 38.7 games.

Look how close Mane's first season avg games is to his total games, only a 2.1 deficit.....dude almost plays every minute of every game he's available for.
      « Last Edit: May 08, 2024 02:44:07 pm by The-AllMightyReds »
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,525 posts | 224 
      Reply #1571: May 08, 2024 05:35:15 pm

Nunez will have the fact he was brought in for around double what Mane was used against him, first season he was used 50% on the left and 50% down the middle but this season he's been used 90% down the middle, so that's another thing that'll be used against him.

The thing with stats is you can always handpick them depending on what side of the argument you are.

Look how close Mane's first season avg games is to his total games, only a 2.1 deficit.....dude almost plays every minute of every game he's available for.

People forget Nunez is one of the highest transfer fees ever in the premier league. He wasn’t bought for last 20 mins. He was bought to be a difference maker and to be one of the best players in the premier league

It’s fair to say if Nunez cost half of what he did then the pressure would be less imo 

The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,084 posts | 209 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1572: May 08, 2024 06:10:30 pm

People forget Nunez is one of the highest transfer fees ever in the premier league. He wasn’t bought for last 20 mins. He was bought to be a difference maker and to be one of the best players in the premier league

It’s fair to say if Nunez cost half of what he did then the pressure would be less imo

I don't think anyone forgets what he was bought for, that's why he's the most talked about player in the league and has been since he arrived.

In terms of being "one of the highest transfer fees in the Prem", he just misses out on the top 10.

1. Caicedo, 2. Enzo, 3. Rice, 4. Grealish, 5. Lukaku, 6. Pogba, 7.Gvardiol, 8. Antony, 9. Sancho and 10. Maguire are all £80m+

He's joint 11th with Fofana, Pepe, Virgil and Havertz on £75m.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,525 posts | 224 
      Reply #1573: May 08, 2024 06:31:15 pm
      I don't think anyone forgets what he was bought for, that's why he's the most talked about player in the league and has been since he arrived.

In terms of being "one of the highest transfer fees in the Prem", he just misses out on the top 10.

1. Caicedo, 2. Enzo, 3. Rice, 4. Grealish, 5. Lukaku, 6. Pogba, 7.Gvardiol, 8. Antony, 9. Sancho and 10. Maguire are all £80m+

He's joint 11th with Fofana, Pepe, Virgil and Havertz on £75m.

Pretty sure we paid around 60-65m up front and 20-25m on top is with add ones which sum have been met. A club like ours have the get these massive buys spot on as we don’t invest that much often on a single player
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 842 posts | 302 
      Reply #1574: May 08, 2024 07:18:57 pm
      You’ve been patient 2 years Gaz. 😂 He does have world class trates in his game but NONE in his finishing. Klopp leaving probably guarantees another season with your new manager. Keep him on the left flanks and see if manager can do what Klopp didn’t.

His my problem with it. Klopp improved so many players which obviously wasn’t a fluke but could never improve Nunez, there lies your problem. If Klopp couldnt do it I don’t see 🦥 doing it.

Some players need more time to develop, Hendo was underappreciated by a lot of fans until he was in his late 20s. I'm happy to give him more time. There are positive reasons why I want to keep him, I have faith in his ability to fulfill his potential.

There are also some practical reasons for keeping him.
      I think we need to focus our summer budget on other positions, CD, DM and LB. We are probably not going to have a lot of money to spend and we definitely need quality players in defensive positions. We are conceding to many goals, that is the main reason we are not winning the league.
      We will probably not get another club to give us a lot of money for him. I think United will find out this summer that it's not easy to sell players who are very expensive. Who is going to buy Antony?
      Also, I don't think that there are a lot of alternative opinions available that we can afford to buy.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,443 posts | 814 
      Reply #1575: May 08, 2024 07:37:41 pm
      As it stands today it's fair to say he's got some way to go to justify his fee. I don't have a problem with seeing if a new manager can get a bit more out of him...you just never know..but I think next season see's him in The last chance saloon, for a lot of us.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,084 posts | 209 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1576: May 08, 2024 08:01:17 pm
      Pretty sure we paid around 60-65m up front and 20-25m on top is with add ones which sum have been met. A club like ours have the get these massive buys spot on as we don’t invest that much often on a single player

So far it's £75m total, 65m was up front and 10m has been in appearance related add ons.

We get more signings right than not to the point where our mid signings turn out to be superstars, we're not Utd or Chelsea where 9/10 turn out sh*t.

With the new guy it's a clean slate for everyone now. Darwin will sort the composure out in front of goal, he's too good a player not to.

Keep the faith.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,619 posts | 755 
      Reply #1577: May 08, 2024 10:22:29 pm

I really appreciate people who look at context.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,860 posts | 6798 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1578: May 09, 2024 12:59:10 am
      He gets another Season for me.

There is a world Class Player in there, we just haven't untapped all of his potential yet!
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,174 posts | 264 
      Reply #1579: May 09, 2024 02:16:21 am
      Nunez will have the fact he was brought in for around double what Mane was used against him,

Sorry mate I think I don't clearly understand this.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,197 posts | 2761 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1580: May 09, 2024 09:09:26 am

There is a world Class Player in there, we just haven't untapped all of his potential yet!

Maybe another two years  :f_whistle:
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,084 posts | 209 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1581: May 09, 2024 09:27:05 am
      Sorry mate I think I don't clearly understand this.

Nunez cost the club double what Mane did, that'll always be used against him when comparisons are drawn between the 2.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,525 posts | 224 
      Reply #1582: May 09, 2024 09:30:21 am
      Nunez cost the club double what Mane did, that'll always be used against him when comparisons are drawn between the 2.

Should that not be the case then ?

Tell me what you would expect of a player that could end up costing around 85 million pounds- currently is at around 75 million

Price tag attracts expectations and rightly so imo

I just hope next year we don’t go in with the same 5, they have shown when it comes to crunch time, they don’t have what we need. I don’t know or really care about who should go but we need someone else to break that 5 up imo

Jota if fit would fix our issues though

Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,634 posts | 1120 
      Reply #1583: May 09, 2024 10:29:24 am

World class 🤣🤣. What potential is this?

He cant control or hold the ball up.
      His final ball is dreadful.
      His finishing is dreadful.
      His awareness is dreadful.
      His running off the ball is dreadful.
      He doesnt seem to understand offside and how to actually make a run and stay onside.

Hes got a bit of pace ... but its not worth much when you consider the above. So what potential is this?

Do we want to compete with the big 2 and have a chance to win the league? If so we need much better than nunez. Sorry.

Hes cost the same fee as Jude Bellingham ffs.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,084 posts | 209 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1584: May 09, 2024 11:00:32 am
      Should that not be the case then ?

Tell me what you would expect of a player that could end up costing around 85 million pounds- currently is at around 75 million

Price tag attracts expectations and rightly so imo

I just hope next year we don’t go in with the same 5, they have shown when it comes to crunch time, they don’t have what we need. I don’t know or really care about who should go but we need someone else to break that 5 up imo

Jota if fit would fix our issues though

I'm not saying it should be the case or not.....people that want to bash him or take the piss will clearly use it against him, I don't have a problem with it because it's facts, this was the only point I was making.

I don't really know what to expect, sometimes they turn out like Rice, Suarez or Jude and other times they end up like Felix, Coutinho, Caicedo, Grealish, Antony, Maguire etc.....if the club want to pay in excess of a players worth and they don't get their values worth, it's on the club.

Jota has missed big chances of his own (not as many but then again not as many falls to him).....there have been games he's played where he's been utterly anonymous. All well and good having a brilliant finisher up top but if he's unable to contribute to the side in any other way, you may aswell be playing with 10.
      « Last Edit: May 09, 2024 11:08:51 am by The-AllMightyReds »
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,084 posts | 209 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #1585: May 09, 2024 11:14:40 am

Why not?

By that time he'll have only entered his prime.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1586: May 09, 2024 11:56:22 am
      Now mate, just used your post to segway myself in  :D 

Have been thinking since I saw that video doing the rounds of how many times Mo has set players on their way, clean thru on goal, only for them to totally F**k it, and of course Darwin is the most shown on the video, fluffing his lines and then again last night, when Darwin was offside just for something different, then didn't go around the keeper and finish what he should of.....

Imagine we had a Striker that loved to sit on the shoulders of defenders, the majority of times stayed onside, had blistering pace and definitely 100%, knew how to stick the ball in the back of the net, for a fraction of the price Isak or Harry Kane would cost and there's only one name I come up with currently playing for another Club, who I cannot believe we didn't inquire about, even if it was on a 6 month loan at the very least, when we had a chance.

Drumroll.....don't hate on me, but his name came to mind and the possibilities of the goals he would score, given the amount of chances we create is drool worthy.

JAMIE VARDY

;D I did not expect this

Quick Reply