Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Our squad + next season

Read 8596 times
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Re: Our squad + next season
      Reply #46: Jan 15, 2023 04:43:53 pm
      Gallagher’s a great shout, thought he was brilliant on loan at Palace last season, real box to box midfielder which is something we need at the moment. Seems to have gone off the boil a bit in potter’s side, they might decide to sell if they get caicedo if the rumours are true or FSG grow a pair and back the manager what’s left of this transfer window
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #47: Jan 15, 2023 04:45:50 pm
      Sell before we can buy then!! So what other manager is gonna pull miracles out for us?

Ridiculous scenarios cos fan boy types have got their knickers in a twist basically.

Which is why I think Klopp should stay. We have a gem of a manager who gets the city and the fans and has already performed miracles.
      Granted if we end this season 9th and start next season the same I’m not sure how long he will get.

The only manager I can think of who would get the fans and city probably more than Klopp is gerrard. And as well as he did at rangers I’m not sure he’s ready for the job.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #48: Jan 15, 2023 04:47:08 pm
      A lot depends on the ownership situation, will be a long rebuild if FSG remain as owners as there's hardly any sellable assets in the squad.

Have to let Adrian go and get a homegrown 3rd choice keeper to help with that regard. Would like Kelleher to stay but would understand if he wanted to leave.

I'd leave right back and left back as they are but would like to see Ramsay get some game time in the coming months to see what he's about. Centre back is needed IMO - Van Dijk isn't what he was pre-ACL, Matip has dropped off and Gomez has regressed after those injuries. Move one of the latter two on and sign a young centre back. Phillips would probably want to leave for more game time so maybe Sepp could fill that 5th slot (I think he's homegrown but admittedly not watched him play).

Midfield needs three additions. Let Milner, Ox and Keita leave on frees. Henderson to drop down the pecking order into the Milner role - leads the cup teams, plays here and there when needed but stays on as club captain. Give Bajcetic some game time in the coming months to see if he needs a loan or could be part of the squad. On the fence about Jones but I'd probably keep him around for another year.

Up top we need to see if Doak or Elliott can provide good cover for/push Salah for that role. If not then the area requires a bit of tweaking because we're lopsided with players that want to play on the left. Firmino's time is probably up.

Midfield is the real area though - looking at 200m there alone.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #49: Jan 15, 2023 04:47:25 pm
      Gallagher’s a great shout, thought he was brilliant on loan at Palace last season, real box to box midfielder which is something we need at the moment. Seems to have gone off the boil a bit in potter’s side, they might decide to sell if they get caicedo if the rumours are true or FSG grow a pair and back the manager what’s left of this transfer window

Gallagher and rice would do me nicely. Maybe Maddison and Gallagher.
      Ward prowse on the cheap as well.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #50: Jan 15, 2023 04:49:49 pm
      A lot depends on the ownership situation, will be a long rebuild if FSG remain as owners as there's hardly any sellable assets in the squad.

Have to let Adrian go and get a homegrown 3rd choice keeper to help with that regard. Would like Kelleher to stay but would understand if he wanted to leave.

I'd leave right back and left back as they are but would like to see Ramsay get some game time in the coming months to see what he's about. Centre back is needed IMO - Van Dijk isn't what he was pre-ACL, Matip has dropped off and Gomez has regressed after those injuries. Move one of the latter two on and sign a young centre back. Phillips would probably want to leave for more game time so maybe Sepp could fill that 5th slot (I think he's homegrown but admittedly not watched him play).

Midfield needs three additions. Let Milner, Ox and Keita leave on frees. Henderson to drop down the pecking order into the Milner role - leads the cup teams, plays here and there when needed but stays on as club captain. Give Bajcetic some game time in the coming months to see if he needs a loan or could be part of the squad. On the fence about Jones but I'd probably keep him around for another year.

Up top we need to see if Doak or Elliott can provide good cover for/push Salah for that role. If not then the area requires a bit of tweaking because we're lopsided with players that want to play on the left. Firmino's time is probably up.

Midfield is the real area though - looking at 200m there alone.

I think sepps weakness is his pace. He always looks a bit slow to me…

And I’m not sure £200m is needed for our midfield. Maddison doesn’t have long left on his contract. Ward prowse might be relegated. Rice won’t be as much as last year.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #51: Jan 15, 2023 04:53:52 pm
      Which is why I think Klopp should stay. We have a gem of a manager who gets the city and the fans and has already performed miracles.
      Granted if we end this season 9th and start next season the same I’m not sure how long he will get.

The only manager I can think of who would get the fans and city probably more than Klopp is gerrard. And as well as he did at rangers I’m not sure he’s ready for the job.

Other shout in a couple of years when some will scream Gerrard, some may quietly whisper Alonso.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,396 posts | 2823 
      Reply #52: Jan 15, 2023 04:53:55 pm
      I think sepps weakness is his pace. He always looks a bit slow to me…

And I’m not sure £200m is needed for our midfield. Maddison doesn’t have long left on his contract. Ward prowse might be relegated. Rice won’t be as much as last year.

Guess the 200m depends on whether we think Bellingham is realistic or not although with each passing week it's looking more unlikely.

I like Maddison but if we continue playing the same system I'm not sure he is good enough defensively for us? Wouldn't say no to Rice or Ward-Prowse (although the latter doesn't make us much younger as he's 28 already)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #53: Jan 15, 2023 04:55:30 pm
      Gallagher and rice would do me nicely. Maybe Maddison and Gallagher.
      Ward prowse on the cheap as well.

Would help with the English quota too!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #54: Jan 15, 2023 04:55:48 pm

But we want actual quality, not overhyped sh*te like Declan F***ing Rice.

And if people think we're lacking legs in the middle of the park then neither Ward-Prowse or Maddison are the answer to our prayers. They're both good on the ball and from dead ball positions but they're hardly gonna get around the pitch much better than what we currently have. They're also both overrated by the English media as well.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,185 posts | 1099 
      Reply #55: Jan 15, 2023 05:01:01 pm
      But we want actual quality, not overhyped sh*te like Declan f**king Rice.

And if people think we're lacking legs in the middle of the park then neither Ward-Prowse or Maddison are the answer to our prayers. They're both good on the ball and from dead ball positions but they're hardly gonna get around the pitch much better than what we currently have. They're also both overrated by the English media as well.
      Can't understand the hate for Rice. Real  deal imo. Sure he will be expensive, but most quality players are.  Basically Fab a few years ago.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #56: Jan 15, 2023 05:02:13 pm
      But we want actual quality, not overhyped sh*te like Declan f**king Rice.

I quite like rice. Regardless, I’m sure Klopp will get a couple of midfielders. I don’t think Jude will be one.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #57: Jan 15, 2023 05:10:47 pm
      Can't understand the hate for Rice. Real  deal imo. Sure he will be expensive, but most quality players are.  Basically Fab a few years ago.

Rice is a good player but he isn’t the £100mil player they want for him
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,034 posts | 3352 
      Reply #58: Jan 15, 2023 05:14:27 pm

Nah he's one of those half decent players who gets rave reviews because he's English and plays for a London club. Similar to the likes of Jack Wilshire, Scott Parker and Harry Winks have done over the years. And the Fabinho comparison is quite accurate because I never rated Fab as highly as most. Always felt he was got past too easily.

I will say though that Rice is one of the few central midfielders in the League who does get around the pitch, which is what we're currently struggling to do.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #59: Jan 15, 2023 05:29:48 pm
      Midfield has stagnated over so many windows now, that needs a fair bit of work.
      We should go all out to get Bellingham, top quality player.
      Then try to work some scouting magic and find a Gini type to complement him, guy who will run, tackle, win ball and protect the back 4. Rice imho will be way overpriced - if paying big, get Jude - can't see us paying that big twice in one window.
      But two quality players, of the TYPE WE NEED.
      This should take the pressure off Hendo/Fab/Thiago and give them some space and time to recover/refresh/get some form back.  Don't think they are all past it yet. Tonnes of experience there too.
      Would keep Elliot, though have my doubts about him, Jones, Carvahlo, Bajetic.
      Free up jerseys by at last getting Ox and Keita out the door.  And Milly probably has come to the end of playing days here.  And Melo, what a waste of time/slap in the face for Jürgen.

Up front, can't see that we need to sign anyone after Gapko coming in following Nunez.
      In defense, actually think we are well served too. Maybe Matip or Gomez might move on, but if they did, would need replacing.

But by far and away the main work needs to be in midfield, though that's not news.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #60: Jan 15, 2023 05:38:39 pm
      This is what I see happening in the summer

Players leaving on a free

Ox
      Milner
      Keita
      Adrian
      Arthur

Others leaving

Phillips
      Kelleher
      Matip

Can see Bobby signing an extended deal - another two years

Milner will go into the coaching team

New players

A top CM like Bellingham - still think it will be him regardless of what happens this season

Then another Centre mid at mid level ( £30-40mil )

They may also look at someone from free market

Then another young CB

That would leave the squad like this

GK

Allison
      New experienced GK on a freebie maybe
      Pitaluga

RB

TAA
      Ramsey

CB

VVD
      Konate
      Gomez
      New CB
      Komutio

LB

Robbo
      Kostas

Midfield

Henderson
      Fabinho
      Thiago
      Jones
      Bacjetic
      Morton
      New CM
      New CM

Forward

Bobby
      Diaz
      Nunez
      Jota
      Gakpo
      Mo

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #61: Jan 15, 2023 05:42:19 pm
      Just madness getting shut of Kelleher when in my opinion he's the heir apparent to Ali.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #62: Jan 15, 2023 05:44:26 pm
      This is what I see happening in the summer

Players leaving on a free

Ox
      Milner
      Keita
      Adrian
      Arthur

Others leaving

Phillips
      Kelleher
      Matip

Can see Bobby signing an extended deal - another two years

Milner will go into the coaching team

New players

A top CM like Bellingham - still think it will be him regardless of what happens this season

Then another Centre mid at mid level ( £30-40mil )

They may also look at someone from free market

Then another young CB

That would leave the squad like this

GK

Allison
      New experienced GK on a freebie maybe
      Pitaluga

RB

TAA
      Ramsey

CB

VVD
      Konate
      Gomez
      New CB
      Komutio

LB

Robbo
      Kostas

Midfield

Henderson
      Fabinho
      Thiago
      Jones
      Bacjetic
      Morton
      New CM
      New CM

Forward

Bobby
      Diaz
      Nunez
      Jota
      Gakpo
      Mo

Would you get rid of Kelleher, or does he want to go?  Don't think he's every really let us down.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #63: Jan 15, 2023 05:44:35 pm
      Just madness getting shut of Kelleher when in my opinion he's the heir apparent to Ali.

Think he will want to leave to get more regular playing time
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #64: Jan 15, 2023 05:45:02 pm
      Would you get rid of Kelleher, or does he want to go?  Don't think he's every really let us down.

Certainly wouldn’t want him to go but think he would want to leave
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #65: Jan 15, 2023 05:45:27 pm

Hope we keep him, though maybe he would want 1st team action.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,246 posts | 8577 
      Reply #66: Jan 15, 2023 05:46:59 pm

Think he will want to leave to get more regular playing time

Everyone's presuming this without any evidence.

My former manager in current workplace is from Cork - he reckons Kelleher ain't leaving. Kelleher is also from Cork
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #67: Jan 15, 2023 05:50:20 pm
      Just throwing it out there. But would anyone consider selling Elliot. Would bring in a few bob.
      He's a decent player, but not sure he fits the system. Strikes me more as a tricky winger type, but still not someone who would play in our front three, and doesn't score many. Can look a bit lost sometimes, just imho.
      In saying that he's young, and by no means the lowest performer in the middle. Just a thought/stir.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #68: Jan 15, 2023 05:51:07 pm
      Everyone's presuming this without any evidence.

My former manager in current workplace is from Cork - he reckons Kelleher ain't leaving. Kelleher is also from Cork

I would be more than happy if he stays

Quick Reply