Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Fabinho -> Al-Ittihad

Read 16843 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Re: Re: Fabinho Player Thread (M)
      Reply #69: Jul 15, 2023 01:52:42 pm
      Agreed. Like I said in the scouting/transfer thread, if we were looking at Lavia before any bid had come through for Fab then we should be looking at Lavia + a more immediate replacement for Fab.

Lavia is superb for his age he will go straight in at DM.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #70: Jul 15, 2023 02:06:07 pm
      I have major doubts about that Baz. I think its something to shine in a team destined for relegation who at some point in the season was playing with virtually no pressure at all so early they were ''logically'' relegated. It's a whole other thing, at 18 year of age, especially for that DM role to come in at LFC and deliver the kind of performances we need from that DM position week-in week-out. It's less than ideal on many levels (what we need, development of the player himself, lack of depth, etc.)

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #71: Jul 15, 2023 02:35:04 pm
      I have major doubts about that Baz. I think its something to shine in a team destined for relegation who at some point in the season was playing with virtually no pressure at all so early they were ''logically'' relegated. It's a whole other thing, at 18 year of age, especially for that DM role to come in at LFC and deliver the kind of performances we need from that DM position week-in week-out. It's less than ideal on many levels (what we need, development of the player himself, lack of depth, etc.)

I have zero doubts. If we end up paying up to £50 million for this kid even at only 19 I guarantee he goes in to the first team very quickly. It's not like Jürgen is afraid to start young players.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Re: Fabinho -> Al-Ittihad
      Reply #72: Jul 15, 2023 03:19:57 pm
      You are correct but we didn't create this situation, it's been forced on us by the bids and wages from Saudi, all well above the market value of the players involved. In an ideal scenario the midfield transition would have been over 2 summers but Jürgen and his team need to adapt to the new reality. I don't think we can force players to stay when they have decided that they want to leave and  it's very public. Obviously there are exceptions (Suarez being the most obvious) but Fab and Hendo are at the end of their career and have earned the right to choose what they want to do.
      I think we can trust Jürgen to rebuild, we still have a very strong squad

Good bye Fabinho, thanks for all the trophies, hope you enjoy the rest of your career.

YNWA

I agree with you  mostly, but if we go into the season with a possibly-departing Hendo, a very young and recovering Bajcetic and an oft-injured Thiago as our options at #6, I think we are asking for trouble. Along with that, while the two new signings look very promising, the two younger backups (Jones and Elliott) might not be ready for the start of the season, and Thiago and Hendo have big questions surrounding them at the moment also. Where Trent lines up on the field doesn't really change that there is a depth question suddenly (or continung from last season). I notice Tyler Morton is not in the traveling party so I think he may still be recovering from his injury suffered at Blackburn.

All to say we really do need one (at least) quality addition in midfield for the coming season (along with a defender).
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #73: Jul 15, 2023 04:18:27 pm

He came in for around £40m! Excellent business this. He will definitely go. I'll take it in a heartbeat.

This is where business trumps emotions - the need to retain a player because we are meant for each other, and we love each other and so on...

£40m just go! It's a deal.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #74: Jul 15, 2023 05:41:16 pm

Lot of pressure for someone that age. Not so sure myself. I think he’s definitely one we should be targeting, but I think his transfer should have been independent if Hendo or Fab leaving. With either or both of them going, I would personally like to see a more seasoned 6 coming into the fold.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #75: Jul 15, 2023 05:46:19 pm
      40mill for Fab. F**k, never saw this coming. Would never have imagined us loosing him this window. Not going to Germany witht the squad. Looks like this is likely to go through.

Know Fab had a poor season last year, but he wasn't the only one, and we know how good he 'can' be.  Even on an off day, was still one of the first names on the sheet. Huge part of why we won trophies recently, as big a signing as VVD or Ali imho w.r.t. influence on our performances on the pitch.

29 yrs old, in his prime. Or should be. And going to F***ing Saudi. The mind boggles. Like the poxy money.

Sure we have 40mill to spend now on a replacement. And am sure we'll go out and get someone. We have to.

But so much change in one window, it can't be what Jürgen would have planned or wanted. We know how careful he usually is with change.
      We need to get the signings spot on. And they majority of them in the midfield need to hit the ground running.

I know people are saying 'what are people complaining about - you wanted signings - now we're getting them'.  But we've gone from doing nothing to the midfield last summer, to massive midfield change and upset in this one.

Our leaders and experience in the middle left from last season - Hendo and Thiago. And one or both of could also yet go?!!?  Wanna be positive, but that can't be a good thing.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,264 posts | 1118 
      Reply #76: Jul 15, 2023 06:35:33 pm
      Time for Robbo, Virgil, Ali, Salah, and TAA to step up as leaders and push us forward into this next era.
      rossyred

• 9,317 posts | 1672 
      Reply #77: Jul 15, 2023 07:31:30 pm
      I have zero doubts. If we end up paying up to £50 million for this kid even at only 19 I guarantee he goes in to the first team very quickly. It's not like Jürgen is afraid to start young players.

This experience and leader banging of drum getting a bit weary now . How experienced was Trent when he was tossed in the same goes with Lavia . There is enough experience in front ,behind and at the side of him.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #78: Jul 15, 2023 07:53:18 pm
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,533 posts | 225 
      Reply #79: Jul 15, 2023 09:23:19 pm
      40mill for Fab. F**k, never saw this coming. Would never have imagined us loosing him this window. Not going to Germany witht the squad. Looks like this is likely to go through.

Know Fab had a poor season last year, but he wasn't the only one, and we know how good he 'can' be.  Even on an off day, was still one of the first names on the sheet. Huge part of why we won trophies recently, as big a signing as VVD or Ali imho w.r.t. influence on our performances on the pitch.

29 yrs old, in his prime. Or should be. And going to F***ing Saudi. The mind boggles. Like the poxy money.

Sure we have 40mill to spend now on a replacement. And am sure we'll go out and get someone. We have to.

But so much change in one window, it can't be what Jürgen would have planned or wanted. We know how careful he usually is with change.
      We need to get the signings spot on. And they majority of them in the midfield need to hit the ground running.

I know people are saying 'what are people complaining about - you wanted signings - now we're getting them'.  But we've gone from doing nothing to the midfield last summer, to massive midfield change and upset in this one.

Our leaders and experience in the middle left from last season - Hendo and Thiago. And one or both of could also yet go?!!?  Wanna be positive, but that can't be a good thing.

You’re forgetting how bad it was last season

It cannot be any worse this season even with three brand new cm, it was not good enough to even dominate games against majority of the bottom 6 and we lost lots of points due to that

If you would rate their performances last season, you would give it a 2-3 out of 10

If it can’t worse as it’s already at its worst then why not rebuild ?

People are forgetting we have signed a World Cup winner to hit the ground running who has played in the league, we also signed a national team captain

Experience counts for little when they are being dominated left right and centre which we were last season

Those that succeed embrace change, they don’t fear it, you need to embrace it and be positive, don’t think in fear
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,990 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #80: Jul 16, 2023 08:27:56 am

We can’t and don’t expect it both ways mate, that scenario is perfect, so we keep Fab, possibly Thiago too, and then next season or in winter we have the same issues, then what ?  Hendo being Captain will stay, at least one more season, the jury’s still out regarding Thiago, we need to keep the wheels in motion, our high intensity will burn midfield players out quicker than most other positions, so essentially we need more for those midfield positions, and those who’s legs may not last a full campaign will be subject to cameo roles throughout the season,

We lost two years of recruitment due to covid, but we’re catching up, and next season should more or less be back on track, but we’ve seen already Virgil beginning to decline, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised he’ll be in the same boat Hendo and Thiago are in now, long way to go yet but I’d be on the lookout for his replacement if that’s not already under way.

YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #81: Jul 16, 2023 11:15:58 am
      Legend. Thank you Flaco.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #82: Jul 16, 2023 11:27:48 am
      Wow 40 Mio for Fabinho after his performance last season is like wet dream for me  ;D Sure Fabinho will be good enough for the Saudi League. I'll take that money! Thank you very much.

Thanks Fab and all the best with your early retirement plan in the dessert!
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 826 
      Reply #83: Jul 16, 2023 11:48:24 am
      Wow 40 Mio for Fabinho after his performance last season is like wet dream for me  ;D Sure Fabinho will be good enough for the Saudi League. I'll take that money! Thank you very much.

Bit of respect and understanding might be nice.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #84: Jul 16, 2023 02:11:42 pm

what else is it if its not a retirement plan there is only one reason to go MONEY. As long as we end up with a stronger squad and use the money wisely its all good.
      Emlyn Hughes
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,639 posts | 131 
      Reply #85: Jul 16, 2023 02:27:39 pm
      Bit of respect and understanding might be nice.

Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for the time he spent with us to help win things but sorry if you choose to go to the Saudi with 29 to make like  3-4 times more your current salary I think respect and understanding are two things you won't be getting no matter how often players say it is an exciting project to be a part of....
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,500 posts | 826 
      Reply #86: Jul 16, 2023 02:33:25 pm
      Don't get me wrong I'm grateful for the time he spent with us to help win things but sorry if you choose to go to the Saudi with 29 to make like  3-4 times more your current salary I think respect and understanding are two things you won't be getting no matter how often players say it is an exciting project to be a part of....
      It came across to me as tonally dismissive of him....Doesn't matter mate...moving on
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #87: Jul 16, 2023 02:38:13 pm

Pure greed. Plain and simple. Same goes for Gerrard and our current captain, the man who speaks out about sports washing , atrocities and anti-gay countries ... yet happy to lap up their dirty cash and leave us short at next to no notice.

Their contributions will always stand here. Especially hendersons who has secured legendary status here ... but he's dimmed his own star and tarnished it now ....

The greediest people seem to be the ones with the most.

Trying to pass it off as 'securing my family's financial future' and 'going there to make a difference' is quite frankly insulting.

This isn't the 80s where players maybe made enough to pay their mortgages off and then got a megabucks offer from the states to go play over there and make a little nest egg for a year or 2. But again, that's how they're trying to pass this off. Sad times.

Fleece them for both and reinvest but get it done quickly as others may make their moves for players they anticipate us going for.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,336 posts | 2775 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #88: Jul 16, 2023 02:50:04 pm

Trying to pass it off as 'securing my family's financial future' and 'going there to make a difference' is quite frankly insulting.

I’ve said the same thing with Liv Golf. Why can’t these sportsmen  just man up and admit it’s the money.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,149 posts | 2147 
      Reply #89: Jul 16, 2023 03:09:33 pm
      Pure greed. Plain and simple. Same goes for Gerrard and our current captain, the man who speaks out about sports washing , atrocities and anti-gay countries ... yet happy to lap up their dirty cash and leave us short at next to no notice.

Their contributions will always stand here. Especially hendersons who has secured legendary status here ... but he's dimmed his own star and tarnished it now ....

The greediest people seem to be the ones with the most.

This isn't the 80s where players maybe made enough to pay their mortgages off and then got a megabucks offer from the states to go play over there and make a little nest egg for a year or 2. But again, that's how they're trying to pass this off. Sad times.

Fleece them for both and reinvest but get it done quickly as others may make their moves for players they anticipate us going for.

So true. Barney Ronay wrote a really good article in the guardian about this but there's one thing I disagreed with him on. It kind of excused Hendo for this move on account that 'he's not the root problem here''. That may be true but he becomes part of the problem by joining this charade. Henderson has used his status as a leading figure to stand up for LGBTQ+ rights, for the NHS during COVID. He took those stances because he realised he was in a position of responsibility. His wealth, status and popularity enforces that responsibility on him. He's one of the very few footballers out there who realised that. And yet that same responsibility has suddenly gone when this offer comes along.

Footballers seem to be getting away with so much these days because they aren't 'the root of the problem.' Well that's frankly bollocks. They are the problem. They become part of the problem when they fail to realise that one month of their pay would easily set the average worker up for 20 years or more. They become the problem when they choose to attach themselves to leeching agents and choose them as their figures of authority as opposed to their coach or the fans they play in front of every week.

They are the face of the game, quite happy to indulge themselves with the latest deals that EA Sports, Adidas, Nike throw at them but once they are seen to be taking part in a overtly political project that is morally dubious and taking money from that project they cry innocence. They cry that they're merely part of something they can't control and worse , throw in a dollop of "personal circumstance" about bizarrely trying to avoid the prospect of F***ing poverty for their families.

F**k the F**k off you F***ing cu*ts. You're grown men, adults for F**k sake. Not just proving the old trope that footballers are thick as pigshit but are morally vapid / vacuous pricks to good measure as well.

cu*ts
      Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 331 posts | 62 
      Reply #90: Jul 16, 2023 04:07:01 pm
      So true. Barney Ronay wrote a really good article in the guardian about this but there's one thing I disagreed with him on. It kind of excused Hendo for this move on account that 'he's not the root problem here''. That may be true but he becomes part of the problem by joining this charade. Henderson has used his status as a leading figure to stand up for LGBTQ+ rights, for the NHS during COVID. He took those stances because he realised he was in a position of responsibility. His wealth, status and popularity enforces that responsibility on him. He's one of the very few footballers out there who realised that. And yet that same responsibility has suddenly gone when this offer comes along.

Footballers seem to be getting away with so much these days because they aren't 'the root of the problem.' Well that's frankly bollocks. They are the problem. They become part of the problem when they fail to realise that one month of their pay would easily set the average worker up for 20 years or more. They become the problem when they choose to attach themselves to leeching agents and choose them as their figures of authority as opposed to their coach or the fans they play in front of every week.

They are the face of the game, quite happy to indulge themselves with the latest deals that EA Sports, Adidas, Nike throw at them but once they are seen to be taking part in a overtly political project that is morally dubious and taking money from that project they cry innocence. They cry that they're merely part of something they can't control and worse , throw in a dollop of "personal circumstance" about bizarrely trying to avoid the prospect of F***ing poverty for their families.

F**k the F**k off you F***ing cu*ts. You're grown men, adults for F**k sake. Not just proving the old trope that footballers are thick as pigshit but are morally vapid / vacuous pricks to good measure as well.

cu*ts

Easy to take the moral highground with someone else's money. Posts like this do my head in.

The UK trades 18 billion a year with Saudi both in import and exports, you more than likely buy watch or use on a daily basis something that has Saudi money attached to it.....if you don't know which you are in no position to criticise.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,149 posts | 2147 
      Reply #91: Jul 16, 2023 04:31:48 pm
      Easy to take the moral highground with someone else's money. Posts like this do my head in.

The UK trades 18 billion a year with Saudi both in import and exports, you more than likely buy watch or use on a daily basis something that has Saudi money attached to it.....if you don't know which you are in no position to criticise.

Yeah, literally missing the point of my post by a million miles with a desperate attempt of whataboutery. Well played...not

If you don't think that it's millionaires duty to have a semblance of moral responsibility about his or her actions / status then you'd be better off joining a Tory Party forum pal.

Quick Reply