Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Ryan Gravenberch Player Thread (M)

Read 12937 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Ryan Gravenberch Player Thread (M)
      Reply #92: Dec 24, 2023 09:08:53 pm
      His performance when he came on yesterday was bloody awful. Shocking to see at football league level let alone Premier League level. Needs to get it into his noggin that he's not here for a F***ing jolly.

He just looked lost when he got out there. Was very unusual.

There was one instance where he got the ball in the back half, there was absolutely no one in front of him and I was expecting him to drive all the way to the box and go one one of those runs and lay off or shoot but he passed it backwards and I was dumbfounded by that.

I remember screaming at the telly, What the F**k are you doing Ryan?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,308 posts | 773 
      Reply #93: Jan 02, 2024 03:17:00 pm
      Hope I'm wrong, but this lad looks all wrong for us.......I can't work out what he does. Is he bad, or is he just very odd?  Looks like Bambi on ice.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #94: Jan 02, 2024 03:38:41 pm
      Hope I'm wrong, but this lad looks all wrong for us.......I can't work out what he does. Is he bad, or is he just very odd?  Looks like Bambi on ice.

He is definitely a work in progress.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #95: Jan 02, 2024 03:49:43 pm
      Much like Dom, he had a few really good games early and then has dropped a bit. Maybe to be expected as he's still getting up to speed with Klopp. Not too worried yet. I think he'll be fine.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #96: Jan 02, 2024 11:29:00 pm
      Much like Dom, he had a few really good games early and then has dropped a bit. Maybe to be expected as he's still getting up to speed with Klopp. Not too worried yet. I think he'll be fine.

I hope so, he looked a little bit flimsy in a challenge at one stage yesterday.

Just think he needs a few games in a row to get some rhythm happening.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,027 posts | 529 
      Reply #97: Jan 07, 2024 06:58:44 pm
      Did well when he came on today. Worked hard defensively and made some good tackles then started off attacks with good ball carrying and passing.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,179 posts | 1097 
      Reply #98: Jan 07, 2024 10:16:44 pm
      Did well when he came on today. Worked hard defensively and made some good tackles then started off attacks with good ball carrying and passing.
      That was the Gravenberch from 2 months ago. Looked brave and hungry on the ball. Much much better today
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #99: Jan 07, 2024 10:19:37 pm
      That was the Gravenberch from 2 months ago. Looked brave and hungry on the ball. Much much better today

Yes looked better today.

I haven't followed his career at all and am wondering is the issue that his best position is also where Szoboslai plays and then Ryan is a bit out of position? No idea like just a thought.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 298 
      Reply #100: Jan 08, 2024 12:01:38 am

All the new lads and young lads are going to take time to settle into the squad and league. The are all probably going to have a few games/months when they lose a bit of form.

It's a young, new team and we are already top of league and smashing it. Very high ceiling.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #101: Jan 10, 2024 10:20:33 pm
      Don’t think he’s ready to be starting unfortunately.

Can see he has talent but not consistent at all, would help if he didn’t sh*t out of challenges, needs to remember he is playing in the middle of the pitch.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,308 posts | 773 
      Reply #102: Jan 10, 2024 10:24:14 pm
      Don’t think he’s ready to be starting unfortunately.

Can see he has talent but not consistent at all, would help if he didn’t sh*t out of challenges, needs to remember he is playing in the middle of the pitch.
      Hate to pile into the lad...but I can't see even a hint of talent. I think we've got this one wrong.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,875 posts | 419 
      Reply #103: Jan 10, 2024 10:30:14 pm
      I think he's a strongish ball carrier but at the moment that is all he is. When he's playing well he can drive with it forwards but then he doesn't really know what he wants to do with it beyond passing it wide to the full back or winger.

If there's not that space to drive forward with the ball  he's not really got any attributes to help us.

In games he's starting its just really not working and the last few times he's come off the bench he's not particularly improved us.

I think he has something. He's certainly a physical presence looking at him.

Jury is out. He's still young, has plenty of experience mind but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #104: Jan 10, 2024 10:31:31 pm
      Won 1/10 duels on the floor looks a little lazy at times. His best trait his carrying the ball forward but needs other facets to his game to succeed here
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #105: Jan 10, 2024 10:35:15 pm
      Just needs to calm it a little, trying too hard at times, he'll be fine.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 755 posts | 127 
      Reply #106: Jan 11, 2024 06:55:20 am
      He's much better as a sub at the moment. Hopefully our injured midfield players get back to action soon, including TAA...
      There's a player in Ryan, but he needs more bite to his game to be a PL midfielder....
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #107: Jan 11, 2024 03:49:35 pm

I just worry about the tools at his disposal. He's great carrying the ball and has a decent shot on him, but seems to have very poor passing range and close to no ability to pick a pass in between lines. It makes him extremely predictable in possession, either carries the ball into space and finishes with a side pass or just recycles the ball if he's behind the block.

Still early days, though.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #108: Jan 11, 2024 07:13:38 pm

That's what I was thinking watching him last game.

One things for sure there is a dribbler in there, he's got very quick feet, almost glides and can turn on a dime, bit of composure and he could be a devastating attacking mid.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      Reply #109: Jan 12, 2024 12:22:27 am
      He's slick but way too lightweight in the tackle.

Also he had the Keeper going the wrong way, gutted he shot wide. That should have been in the back of the net.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #110: Feb 04, 2024 06:43:32 pm
      I know this is a classic, ''wait until a bad game and then come into the player's thread to write some negative stuff'', but the lad just did not convince me at all ever since the start of the season.

Sure, he'll have the odd good performance, but its usually against teams that give him plenty of space and time on the ball. Very slow in his decision making, requires an awful long time to figure out what he's gonna do with the ball. On top of that he ends up making the wrong choice most of the time with the natural end to a sequence where he receives the ball being a waste of possession. All of this is frustrating, but his defensive and pressing contributions, which are a couple of notches (at least) below the rest of the midfielders is what truly gets me. If it is true that you only need one player to be off in terms of pressing for the whole system to crumble then, today, Gravenberch took care of that. Jogging around, can't put in a tackle, not arsed to sprint.

Truly, I have nothing against him, but more often than not, him being in the starting lineup is a waste of space. Until he puts some heart and evergy in his display, he's last in the pecking order for those positions in midfield and by a mile as far as I'm concerned 
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,875 posts | 419 
      Reply #111: Feb 04, 2024 06:46:04 pm
      Hes young but its hard to coach get up and go into a player.

I mean I'd say a Klopp player needs that ooomph behind him but Grav will be here under a new manager.

Anyway he is young but when you see him on the team sheet in midfield away at Arsenal you basically know your midfield is about to be conquered.

Rice Jorginho Odegard is far too much for a team like us to be fielding Grav.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,047 posts | 3431 
      Reply #112: Feb 04, 2024 06:57:01 pm
      How about we wait until he has had a pre season with us and a consistent run in the team
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #113: Feb 04, 2024 06:58:19 pm
      How about we wait until he has had a pre season with us and a consistent run in the team

To be fair if you're sensible you can do that and also still have doubts about his performance so far.

Not as if he arrived in January.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8572 
      Reply #114: Feb 04, 2024 07:02:52 pm

He looks a clueless version of Gini at the moment. Plenty of legs, but struggling to make any sort of impact.

I'd also include Cody in the clueless camp today. Gravenberch ain't getting a consistent run this season. Looks more a player at the moment to bring off the bench later in the game.

Quick Reply