Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Luckiest Players In Our History

Read 3025 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Luckiest Players In Our History
      Sep 09, 2023 10:52:00 am
      I got the idea for this thread yesterday when realising that Jerzy Dudek made his debut 21 years ago yesterday.

For me throughout his Liverpool career he was an average keeper at best but because of the penalty saves in Istanbul heā€™ll go down as a Liverpool legend and Iā€™m not sure heā€™s really worthy of that title.

And I was wondering how many others weā€™ve had who will be etched in our history but probably are lucky to do so.

Now obviously weā€™ve had plenty of players who are lucky to have even played for the club and thatā€™s not what this thread is about. Itā€™s not to just name and shame the hundreds of sh*t players weā€™ve had down the time. Itā€™s also not just for people who are lucky to have medals in their collection because most of that 2005 European Cup winning team would be considered for that.

Itā€™s for those who are held up as legends despite not really be close to it.

Someone who Iā€™d put in that category is Jordan Henderson. And this isnā€™t because of his move to Saudi or me suddenly changing my opinion on him because I always said he was a decent player. Even when he was slaughtered by most I said he was decent. But does a decent player deserve to be held up as a legend because he was the captain of our most successful period of the 21st Century?

Take away 2019-2022 of his Liverpool career and Henderson is nothing more than a decent player. Include that three to four year period and heā€™s held up there as one of our all-time greats despite himself still only being decent in that time frame. And if youā€™re picking the greatest Liverpool side of all time then Henderson is nowhere near consideration in my opinion.

And my third nomination is somebody who is up there as one of those who lived off one moment for his entire Liverpool career - John Arne Riise. Absolutely woeful defender and as slow as a snail by the end of his time here but because of that one free kick against United, heā€™s held up as some sort of legend for the club.

Was no more than an average player even at his best. Scored a few screamers for us but if it wasnā€™t for that United goal then people wouldnā€™t look too fondly on his time here (in my opinion) even if he did score a good Derby day goal as well.

So theyā€™re my three picks (for now, Iā€™ll probably think of others) for players who are lucky to be as revered as they are by Liverpool fans. What players do you think are the luckiest in our history?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,375 posts | 783 
      Re: Luckiest Players In Our History
      Reply #1: Sep 09, 2023 12:09:43 pm
      Origi comes to mind..Legendary status without the legendary ability.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2: Sep 09, 2023 01:12:35 pm
      Djimi Traore . I seem to remember him scoring a mad Own goal against Burnley too.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #3: Sep 09, 2023 01:44:37 pm
      Djimi Traore . I seem to remember him scoring a mad Own goal against Burnley too.
      Ha wasnā€™t that in the fa cup was a mad one that
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #4: Sep 09, 2023 01:56:04 pm
      Ha wasnā€™t that in the fa cup was a mad one that

Yeah, have to rematch the goal again just to remember what he was actually trying to do. Possibly other reason would be that I was completely pissed by that point after taking over Burnley's cricket ground, then continuing to drink in the ground, including a naughty taking our ale and continuing to drink while watching the game.

Did alright in Turin and Istanbul clearing chances off the line so that kinda makes up for Djimi's F**k up in Burnley.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #5: Sep 09, 2023 01:59:57 pm
      Peter Crouch - looked like Bambi on ice and played like it sometimes.How many games did it take to score his first goal? Would of been tortured by the crowds of the 70s and 80s if he played for Liverpool then.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,231 posts | 1222 
      Reply #6: Sep 09, 2023 02:00:59 pm
      Whilst I wouldn't put Hendo up there anywhere near our best midfielders of all time, he was a proper player and a proper captain who achieved very high standards of performance and consistency. Where he is lucky is to have played under the management of Klopp when it all came together, but he was also integral to that success and no mere passenger.

I think if we hadn't bought him he might have had a more mundane career at a lower level. I would draw the parallel with Carra. Not tremendously gifted but his mentality and being a Scouser elevated him to be part of a team that lifted big ears. Conversely you sometimes get very gifted players who don't apply themselves and their careers fizzle out into nothing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #7: Sep 09, 2023 02:04:14 pm
      Whilst I wouldn't put Hendo up there anywhere near our best midfielders of all time, he was a proper player and a proper captain who achieved very high standards of performance and consistency. Where he is lucky is to have played under the management of Klopp when it all came together, but he was also integral to that success and no mere passenger.

I think if we hadn't bought him he might have had a more mundane career at a lower level. I would draw the parallel with Carra. Not tremendously gifted but his mentality and being a Scouser elevated him to be part of a team that lifted big ears. Conversely you sometimes get very gifted players who don't apply themselves and their careers fizzle out into nothing.

To be fair to Carra though how man times did he rise like lazarous when his legs look like the were giving way.

By the same token I could put players like Ruddock, Mark Wright, especially Wright who got to captain the club, yet most of the time were utter sh*te with proper stinking lazy attitudes.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #8: Sep 09, 2023 02:49:52 pm
      Peter Crouch - looked like Bambi on ice and played like it sometimes.How many games did it take to score his first goal? Would of been tortured by the crowds of the 70s and 80s if he played for Liverpool then.

Wasnā€™t it something like 27/28 games was at the game with my old man when he scored his first think he got two that day
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #9: Sep 09, 2023 03:38:22 pm
      Wasnā€™t it something like 27/28 games was at the game with my old man when he scored his first think he got two that day

It was against Wigan but there's no way the first was his. Went for a 25 yard screamer, hit the Wigan defender then the keeper flapped it in a very Jordan Pickford way and Crouch still ran off celebrating like he'd scored the winner in the European Cup.

His second was a good finish from what I can remember.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #10: Sep 10, 2023 12:20:41 pm

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #11: Sep 10, 2023 12:23:57 pm
      Fck Iā€™m getting old would have sworn it was 28 🤦ā€ā™‚ļø thinking now it was actually 18
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #12: Sep 10, 2023 12:25:52 pm
      It was against Wigan but there's no way the first was his. Went for a 25 yard screamer, hit the Wigan defender then the keeper flapped it in a very Jordan Pickford way and Crouch still ran off celebrating like he'd scored the winner in the European Cup.

His second was a good finish from what I can remember.

Me and dad were in the Kop end remember saying to my father whoever thatā€™s come off heā€™s still going to claim it ,
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #13: Sep 10, 2023 01:22:12 pm
      Me and dad were in the Kop end remember saying to my father whoever thatā€™s come off heā€™s still going to claim it ,

He was credited with it but for me it was never his goal, even if the original shot was target. A deflection off the defender and then two slaps from the keeper before it went in.

The second goal was good though. I remember it being good at the time but couldnā€™t quite remember it now so went and searched it out on YouTube. Lovely little lob over the keeper.

Suppose heā€™ll always be remembered for his overhead kicks more than anything else in a Liverpool shirt.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,201 posts | 1100 
      Reply #14: Sep 10, 2023 03:27:28 pm
      Adrian. Ali went down and Adrian benefited from our best midfield and defense in over a decade. Saved a pen in the Super Cup a week after he was here and did good enough for 6-8 games while Ali was gone. Also won the charity shield and at that point he was well passed it. Collected a lot medals with us for being a great team mate. I like the guy a lot, but he won the lottery when he came to us. Walked into the perfect team and the first choice went down for a little bit
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,199 posts | 1642 
      Reply #15: Sep 10, 2023 05:24:35 pm
      Not exactly a legend but well thought of (or at least in my mind)ā€¦.Stephan Henchoz.

Decent enough but in hindsight benefitted from Houllierā€™s tactics which would benefit any defender and then having big Sami alongside him who was brilliant.

If any of the 3 handballs he had in the FA Cuo final were given against him then I think he wouldnā€™t be thought of particularly fondly 😅
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4938 
      Reply #16: Sep 10, 2023 07:51:38 pm
      Julian Dicks was lucky to ever pull on a red shirt.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,375 posts | 783 
      Reply #17: Sep 10, 2023 09:08:15 pm
      Julian Dicks was lucky to ever pull on a red shirt.
      ...any shirt!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,412 posts | 2835 
      Reply #18: Sep 10, 2023 09:13:23 pm
      Are the likes of Dudek and Origi really thought of as Liverpool legends? I would have thought of them as more cult heroes than legends.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,375 posts | 783 
      Reply #19: Sep 10, 2023 10:05:26 pm
      Are the likes of Dudek and Origi really thought of as Liverpool legends? I would have thought of them as more cult heroes than legends.
      semantics...same thing really
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,412 posts | 2835 
      Reply #20: Sep 10, 2023 10:29:07 pm

Not to me but fair enough.

I always thought of legends as the ones that have spent years with the club having a massive influence on our success (on a regular basis, week in week out) and cult heroes as the ones who had big moments but maybe not the longevity.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #21: Sep 10, 2023 10:34:46 pm

Underappreciated player was Crouchie. Could have and should have held on for him for much longer but the sheer oddity that was our one man strikeforce once Torres came in cost us.

(Don't get me started on David F***ing N'Gog)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 454 
      Reply #22: Sep 10, 2023 10:42:49 pm
      Moreno played for us 90 times wow nearly a century just to play for us that many times has to put him as a very lucky player.   But he was not alone and a lot of the back line in particular can consider them lucky to play the amount of games they did play all collectively being a bag of nerves mistake after mistake.  One other player will definitely stand out is Mignolet over 150 appearances for us can definitely consider himself very very lucky to have that many appearances.

Quick Reply