Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v LASK?

Caoimhin Kelleher
      3 (4.8%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Stefan Bajcetic
      0 (0%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (6.5%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      8 (12.9%)
      Harvey Elliott
      4 (6.5%)
      Luis Diaz
      8 (12.9%)
      Ben Doak
      2 (3.2%)
      Darwin Núñez
      17 (27.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      11 (17.7%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      5 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: Sep 25, 2023 07:38:15 pm

LASK 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 7461 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Re: LASK 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #230: Sep 21, 2023 11:31:36 pm
      So important we win the group which I think we will with at least a game to spare and then avoid two extra games and be at home.second.leg of the last 16
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,826 posts | 6771 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #231: Sep 22, 2023 01:15:35 am
      Get the F**k innnnnnnnnnnn

Gave them cu*ts a false sense of security.  :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #232: Sep 22, 2023 05:35:26 am
      Think most of us agree that that was f***in woeful, in particular the first half, second half was slightly better than the first but again it was a million miles off, but look it was f***in Lask, so we were dragged down to their level, and without being too disrespectful, like playing someone like Burton Albion,

We came we saw, we got the job done, simples, and was as exciting as a Glory hole.

YNWA
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,511 posts | 223 
      Reply #233: Sep 22, 2023 06:57:00 am
      Really good considering we gave a lot of squad players a chance which is what we should be doing through the whole group stage

That way we can be one hundred percent for the league games
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,714 posts | 3719 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #234: Sep 22, 2023 09:02:08 am
      Think most of us agree that that was f***in woeful, in particular the first half, second half was slightly better than the first but again it was a million miles off, but look it was f***in Lask, so we were dragged down to their level, and without being too disrespectful, like playing someone like Burton Albion,

We came we saw, we got the job done, simples, and was as exciting as a Glory hole.

YNWA

I disagree. When the job is perfectly done, it is what the job entails, winning. Winning in style or the old dirty game, it is still winning. Better than playing well by no result.

I always say winning match on the bounce brings confidence and vice versa. We again have the mentality to bounce back.

They only had their goal which was without human error.

The aim of the business is winning.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #235: Sep 22, 2023 09:46:14 am

YNWA

1st half was disjointed, but that's to be expected considering how many were making 1st starts and returning from injuries etc.

Job done. 3 points and fringe guys got proper minutes in legs.

3 proper debuts as well, doak, gravenburch & endo.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,079 posts | 2112 
      Reply #236: Sep 22, 2023 10:52:57 am
      They can often have the feeling of early round FA Cup ties against lower league opposition these matches. No disrespect to LASK - they're much better than that but naturally they'll bring up their level while we, with a makeshift / never tried before XI will always be looking for our own baseline in that situation.

It's only about getting the three points and coming out with a clean bill of health. That's all and that's good. So to come out with an ultimately comfortable victory is just fine by me.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #237: Sep 22, 2023 11:04:03 am
      I disagree. When the job is perfectly done, it is what the job entails, winning. Winning in style or the old dirty game, it is still winning. Better than playing well by no result.

I always say winning match on the bounce brings confidence and vice versa. We again have the mentality to bounce back.

They only had their goal which was without human error.

The aim of the business is winning.

thier goal was a worldie. boy will never strike a ball that well again his life. l o l
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #238: Sep 22, 2023 11:08:03 am

YNWA

B Team got plenty of football and most of the starting XI got some rest.
      Szoboszlai, Mac Allister and Salah as subs when needed.
      Signs that Gravenberch is a proper player.
      Bajcetic back playing.

Sure it's clear to all that the 1st half was very disjointed.
      It was always going to be when the entire XI is changed.

Job done. Impressive 2nd half.
      Obviously I'm also delighted to see Kelleher getting games.

MOTM to Diaz who snapped and decided to drag Liverpool into the game almost single handily.
      Closely followed by that agent of chaos, Nunez.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #239: Sep 22, 2023 12:02:07 pm
      A big win to start our European campaign, which really should be the platform for us to see us easily progress from this group stage - especially with two home games to follow. Gotta now be expecting 9 points from 9 and then really one point from the final three games should be enough.

Once again we've had to come from behind to get all three points, which is now becoming a trend that we really don't want. But if we keep winning then who gives a F**k about how we get there - even if we get help from a penalty that should never have been given.

Was clearly another slow start but given the majority of the team haven't played a lot recently, it's probably not a surprise. Second half was a stark improvement and we started to play some really good football. Good experience for some of the younger lads and a chance for squad players to impress - some took their chance, some didn't.

I can see this being a common trend for most of our European adventure this year in terms of team selection. I can't see us playing (or at least starting) our main team until at least the semi-finals and even then I think it'll be dependant on how far clear at the top of the League we are. But that's what we have a squad for. It's there to be utilised and that's what we'll do.

Kelleher - almost a carbon copy of the sort of performances that Alisson has been displaying this season. Very little to do but what he did have to, he done well. Two good saves - one from distance and one that turned out to be offside anyway. Goal he couldn't do much with the goal, was just a great strike. His distribution wasn't the best though.

Bajcetic - unfamiliar position to him but looked comfortable enough. Got into a couple of good attacking positions, defensively won the ball back on a few occassions. Wasn't surprised to see him brought off given the yellow card and lack of time he's had recently but a good run out for the young lad. And given how young that right hand side was at the start of the game I think he done alright.

Konate - maybe at fault for giving the corner away that led to their goal but after that was a F***ing beast. Won everything in the air, kept their attacks at bay and got some more minutes into his legs. The longer he stays fit the better we're gonna be because he's F***ing immense.

Van Dijk - probably the best he's looked all season. Maybe a couple of games out just to allow him to regain some fitness was needed. This domestic suspension is probably the first time he's been out for a couple of weeks since returning from injury and that might just be what he's needed.

Tsimikas - by far the worst performer last night and made it clear that we can't afford an injury to Robbo. Other than a couple of good corners that he took, his overall performance was shocking. Defensively he didn't actually do much wrong but every time he got the ball at his feet he lost it or miscontrolled it or held on to it for too long. Fair enough he's only had a handful of minutes so far this year against Bournemouth but if last night's display is anything to go by then we can see why.

Endo - maybe it's good that he didn't have too much of an impact on the game. His job is to ensure that the opposition don't get at our back four and in fairness, LASK didn't get at our back four too much. Also kept up his 100% record.

Elliott - your typical performance from Harvey. Plenty of hard work but much finesse. Helped Bajcetic and Doak out in both halves of the pitch. And got around the pitch in the way that the Klopp's previous midfields did. Certainly has a role in this squad, especially as he's got the versatility to play out wide like he did when Doak went off.

Gravenberch - glimpses of what we can expect from him but it's going to take time before he's up to the standard. Got around the pitch well, obviously got the assist for Diaz's goal and maybe should of had another had he picked the pass when he broke through the middle. Hopefully the injury is just due to lack of minutes in his legs and nothing too serious. Good first outting for him.

Doak - like above, there was glimpses of what the young Jock can provide. Beat his man a few times and got the ball in the box. As the game went on his impact lessened and was probably brought off at the right time. Hopefully he gets another chance to play against Leicester in the League Cup and during the rest of the European games. I'd be more disappointed if it's just a one and done for the season because his performance warrants another showing.

Nunez - as always he was a constant threat but also didn't have a great game. Very well taken penalty though. Could tell he wasn't playing full throttle. Will probably be on the bench for the West Ham game and then brought on to cause havoc.

Diaz - won a penalty that never was and if it was given at the other end I'd be screaming to high heaven about it. Also scored a very nice instinctive goal. Didn't do much else that I can remember but was always an option for us, which is what he needs to be. Playing the full 90 makes me think he's sitting out the West Ham match, which disappoints me because I think he's our best option on the left wing.

Gomez - came on for Bajcetic and used his experience to help us through the last half hour game. Decent enough showing with no cock ups.

Mac Allister - didn't do much, which like Endo might be a good thing given the role he was playing. And after the abysmal performance against Wolves, a quiet understated showing was probably what was needed.

Szoboszlai - could see the improvement in the team when he came on as he made us tick. Early signs from him are he's a class above the rest of the midfield and hopefully he can drag them to his level rather than them drag him to theirs. But it was a game that was very suited to his style, which is us dominating the ball and being allowed to play.

Salah - fifteen, twenty minutes of pure brilliance. Another goal to his name as well with a fantastic run through two defenders and a show of pure strength. He's gonna start most games as we know but if when he doesn't, he's got ability to be that impact sub and change the game. Invaluable to this team.

Matip - came on to see the game through. No frills, no mistakes. Job done.

Overall we can be happy with the start we've made to our European campaign. Three points away from home, can't ask for anything more. Performance wasn't the best but it got the job done. Follow it up in a couple of weeks when we have European football back at Anfield and we can take real control of this group.

No real stand outs from the starting XI but no real sh*t shows either, other than Kostas.

Quadruple is still on.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #240: Sep 22, 2023 12:10:57 pm
      The link up play between Nunez, Elliott, Gravenberch and Diaz on the 2nd goal was lovely to watch. Reminded me of the goal away to West Ham a couple years ago that Salah scored. Such quick and direct play.

It wasn't pretty but we got the three point. Some bench players got minutes which also helps and with the win gives us flexibility to continue to play bench/youthful side.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #241: Sep 22, 2023 01:18:39 pm
      Don't get it, making Kostas the scapegoat for a dismal first half. There were 11 players out there, and all below par. Need a bit more support for all the players i think.
       If everyone else was playing to their full potential, perhaps Kostas could have raised his game. Difficult to play well when the ball keeps coming back at you when someone else loses possession. I'm sure if he was as bad as some are suggesting, Jürgen would have hooked him first half.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #242: Sep 22, 2023 01:54:09 pm
      Don't get it, making Kostas the scapegoat for a dismal first half. There were 11 players out there, and all below par. Need a bit more support for all the players i think.
       If everyone else was playing to their full potential, perhaps Kostas could have raised his game. Difficult to play well when the ball keeps coming back at you when someone else loses possession. I'm sure if he was as bad as some are suggesting, Jürgen would have hooked him first half.

He was the worst thats all.

Not played for ages, so same as the rest he gets a pass, needed the minutes.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #243: Sep 22, 2023 02:46:34 pm

That's fair enough, but he was poor and he tended to overcarry whenever he had the ball.
      Not playing Diaz when the option was there and losing possession moments later is the moment that probably sticks out for most.
      But then the lad hasn't played for ages so it's no real surprise if he's not 100% on it either.
      Fabio Aurelio
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 878 posts | 114 
      Reply #244: Sep 22, 2023 06:09:45 pm
      Gravenberch had a really promising debut. I loved the move for the second goal.

Mo was great when he came on. I hope Diaz starts against West Ham but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench considering he played the full 90.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,308 posts | 768 
      Reply #245: Sep 22, 2023 08:31:06 pm
      Did not see any of the game, but at least a win, to start us off in the right direction. Certainly we should fear nobody in this competition.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,291 posts | 4939 
      Reply #246: Sep 22, 2023 08:46:40 pm
      Been flat out in new job so totally misse this one.

Great to get the win in the board.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,317 posts | 1405 
      Reply #247: Sep 23, 2023 12:04:58 am

That's a fair assessment. Hasn't played much and goes in with a team put together that will probably be a one off. Yes did raise expectations in his first season and at times looked like a serious contender to Robbo. Not playing though hasn't done him any favours. Would still play him in the Europa and League cup. He'll improve as the season goes on.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,112 posts | 3367 
      Reply #248: Sep 23, 2023 10:09:39 am

Kostas isn't being made out as the scapegoat, he was the worst of the lot and by some distance. While nobody really shone, especially first half, Kostas was very poor. And I think he was kept on because Klopp wanted to give him some minutes to try and shake off his rustiness as well as give Robbo a full 90 minute break for once. Ideally Dom, Mac and Mo would have been given the entire night off as well but we needed them to help us get the win as the game was still on a knifedge by the time they came on.

There's plenty of reasons why he was so poor and a lack of game time is certainly one of them as is playing in a under-performing team, which we were first half. But his performance was as bad as anyone's in my opinion regardless of the circumstances as to why he may have been so poor.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,363 posts | 1538 
      Reply #249: Sep 23, 2023 02:35:51 pm
      That's fair enough, but he was poor and he tended to overcarry whenever he had the ball.
      Not playing Diaz when the option was there and losing possession moments later is the moment that probably sticks out for most.
      But then the lad hasn't played for ages so it's no real surprise if he's not 100% on it either.

Don’t wanna bleat on, but first half Grav missplaced passes and gave the ball away on three occasions.
      Not a word said ! Played better later I agree, but thought the negs a but one sided at the time.
      Anyway, he’ll come good as we know he’s got it in his locker. Just needs more minutes.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #250: Sep 26, 2023 10:11:45 pm
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      A big win to start our European campaign, which really should be the platform for us to see us easily progress from this group stage - especially with two home games to follow. Gotta now be expecting 9 points from 9 and then really one point from the final three games should be enough.

Once again we get help from a penalty that should never have been given.

Was clearly another slow start but given the majority of the team haven't played a lot recently, it's probably not a surprise.

Of course it's not a surprise. When you make that many changes, the game becomes much more competitive. People are advocating this. So expect more slow starts when it happens, even at home.

Can't believe that our fans would rather not have a penalty. Incredulous also that pundits on LFC TV wanted to know what is the point of VAR because it wasn't overturned. 😲 You could give it for either the foul in the box, or the handball on the line beforehand. The opponent even got booked for it. Maybe people would have rather us still be losing at the time instead. 😡

First win away from home in this competition since Jürgen's first European trip to Kazan. Now he's won 50 games. The other 48 were in the other competition.

Quick Reply