Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v WHU?

Alisson Becker
      3 (4.2%)
      Joe Gomez
      6 (8.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      0 (0%)
      Curtis Jones
      3 (4.2%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      12 (16.7%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      21 (29.2%)
      Darwin Núñez
      13 (18.1%)
      Luis Diaz
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      12 (16.7%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Diogo Jota
      1 (1.4%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Sep 28, 2023 03:59:43 pm

Liverpool 3-1 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 8105 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,656 posts | 3923 
      Re: Liverpool 3-1 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #230: Sep 24, 2023 09:10:49 pm
      I know Nunez can be frustrating at times. He will miss plenty but stick with him. Hitting the back of the net will boost his confidence. He is a handful, adds that bit of spite. When Macca and Dom get used to his movement he will be in even more. His pace and aggression upsets defenders.

I like Jota and Cody but we have to stick with Nunez. Type of player that needs to know he's got a place, not in and out or picked for one off games. Then he won't snatch at chances. And gel with Diaz, Mo and the midfield. That's when we'll see what we've got.

You can’t leave out Nunez, it’s impossible.

We have so many games coming up, loads of time for all 5 forwards.

Surely we have the most dynamic fire power in the league / world. Could produce something special this season.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,301 posts | 767 
      Reply #231: Sep 24, 2023 09:44:45 pm
      Great to see our winning run extended to 5 today, with Nunez scoring. It is right to keep him in the starting line up. The more he features, giving the player more confidence leading to scoring more goals.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 300 
      Reply #232: Sep 25, 2023 09:23:51 am
      You can’t leave out Nunez, it’s impossible.

We have so many games coming up, loads of time for all 5 forwards.

Surely we have the most dynamic fire power in the league / world. Could produce something special this season.

I think we are going to continue seeing a lot of substitutions in games. We have a good squad with plenty of quality options on the bench. I think Klopp has had time to adapt to the 5 subs rule change.

Mo will probably continue to play 90 mins in the league and important matches but the other 4 forwards will probably continue to rotate, first 60 mins for 2 then 30mins for the other 2. In rugby we expect to see all the replacements coming onto the pitch and it looks like we are seeing something similar coming into football. We always see a few midfield substitutions as well. I'd like to see us mixing it up a bit so that opposition teams see something different.

Maybe-  Nunez- Gakpo- Mo

Or- Diaz- Jota- Mo

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #233: Sep 25, 2023 10:26:00 am
      great win but I am going to put Ali as my man of the match because he keeps us in games at vital moments game after game.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,050 posts | 3352 
      Reply #234: Sep 25, 2023 11:15:34 am
      Well, well, well, Liverpool didn't need to go behind to win a game. There's a novelty this season! Sack the manager - we wanna be losing before we turn things into three point. We need to give these inferior sides a chance at the very least.

I do feel like I watched a different game to most though. It seems a lot of people were disappointed with much of the performance, especially first half and those who people think played well I thought were poor with the exception of Gomez. I don't think we were our absolute best by any stetch but thought we were always in complete control. It looked like we were in second gear for much of it, which is where the West Ham chances came about. Had we fell behind early on, which we probably should of, I think we'd of turned it on even more but as West Ham failed to take their chances we could stay playing within ourselves and still dominate.

Another game without defeat, another victory and keeping on City's coat tails. Pulling further clear of the teams we're supposedly in a battle with for a top four spot. Despite our leaky/shaky defence, we have the best defensive record in the League after City - which is why stats don't always tell the story. Goals for three of our five world class forwards. A third consecutive game this year at Anfield where we've scored three goals. A better showing from those who were heavily criticised after the Wolves game.

For me there's a lot more to be happy about than down in the dumps after yesterday's result.

Alisson - one truly world class save and a couple that were straight down his throat. I was fearful when he completely misjudged the flight/bounce of the ball and heads it out for a corner instead of into touch like he was intending to but thankfully the resulting corner came to nothing.

Gomez - up there with his best performance in a Liverpool career that has spanned eight years and nearly 200 games. We all questioned him trying to play the "Trent role" against Wolves but he was asked to do it again against West Ham and absolutely shone. In the middle of the park he was playing more like Stevie G than Joey G. One run in particular where he turned away from two of their players and drove at their defence. F***ing immense Joey lad.

Matip - put in your typical Joel Matip performance. Comfortable on the ball, couple of really good mazy runs from the back and a strong showing defensively. Never gonna be the stand out performer of any team in any game but a vital part of a squad that wants to achieve great things.

Van Dijk - poor showing for the goal and from a corner where Bowen should have scored again but those two moments aside, I thought he was alright. Kept that mouthy c**t Antonio quiet and wasn't getting caught with people running in behind him as often as he has recently. A big improvement from the skipper from where he's been for most of this season and he ended up with an assist to his name.

Robertson - quality set pieces and a constant outlet down the left. I said a few times last year that he was our player of the season, he was the one who's form hadn't dropped anywhere near as much as others and so far this season bar one game he's been as solid as ever. I think he's benefitting as much as anybody as having a settled midfield in front of him as well as having that relationship with Diaz down the left. He struggled a bit at the start of the season with Gakpo playing the left side of the three midfelders but since Jones has taken that spot, Robbo has been sound.

Mac Allister - not just for the glorious assist he got for Darwin but for an overall performance that was as good as he's played for us so far. I'm sure we were all a bit skeptical when we saw him playing in that role again but he showed that he does have the capabilities to at least fill that gap at times. Ideally he wouldn't be the long term solution there but if he can play like that every week then why not? Got around the pitch, broke up the play, kept the ball moving and the further up the pitch he got, the more we saw what we thought we were buying. Great ball for Nunez's goal. Like I said, best he's played in a Liverpool shirt in my opinion. And what a way to bounce back after the sh*t show that was his Wolves performance.

Szoboszlai - this is where I differ to most because I thought Dom was the worst of the midfield three. Sloppy at times with the ball, two thundering free kicks straight into the wall and I don't remember being wowed by him during the game. But I get that he's the latest darling of the forum so will get rave reviews even if he doesn't play.

Jones - he's becoming a very important player in this team/squad. The new additions look to have spurred to him on the next level. And whether he's matured as a player or it's a tactical tweak but it seems like he is now playing a more sensible way. He's not trying to do everything on his own, he's not feeling the need to always do something that makes an impression and is just working as our left sided midfielder. With Henderson and Fabinho last year the creativity fell upon Jones' shoulders and maybe that's why he tried too much, with Mac Allister and Szoboszlai in the team Jones can focus on just being solid. His work rate is incredible and covers  so much ground. Can still beat a man, isn't afraid to have a pop and is happy to get stuck in. Did have a dodgy five minutes when he ended up on the right hand side but the most important thing I see with Curtis is he's playing with a smile on his face.

Salah - take him off pens eh? Sell him? In the words of 2 Unlimited "no no, no no no no, no no no no, no no". He was playing with that spark again, always wanting to take on his man. Didn't get everything right, I remember one really poor overhit pass to Gomez on the overlap but for the majority of the game Mo was boss again. Taking his Liverpool goals to 190. Only four players in our history have scored 200 goals or more and here's our Mo on the edge of achieving it. And he seems as keen as ever to get assists this year, even if he didn't make one yesterday. His joy when others score is there for all to see as well. The man looks so happy this season.

Nunez - it doesn't matter how many chances a forward misses if at the end of the day they get on the scoresheet and the team wins - Darwin Nunez was proof of that yesterday. Who cares if he misses that sitter when the result ends up in our favour? We'll talk about it now but by the time the Spurs game comes around nobody will bat an eye lid at it and instead we'll be talking about what a great finish his goal was. Another goal for him as he stays level with Mo as our top scorer this season and his first at Anfield since the 7-0 twatting of United. I was surprised to see him start after playing the full game in midweek but I'm glad he did. He's starting to become a must have in our starting XI just because he's such a handful.

Diaz - as I said with regards to Robbo, that relationship down the left is blossoming. It's not quite Robbo/Mane levels yet but it's on it's way. Another who I was surprised to see start after the midweek games but again glad to see because he's our best option on the left. Didn't have his most impactful game but was always available, worked hard as usual and will give opposition right backs a sleepless night.

Gravenberch - didn't really do much when he came on but you can see why we've bought him. Gets around the pitch, looks a big athletic lad and can offer us somebody who carries the ball forward.

Gakpo - a bit like Gravenberch didn't do too much other than get kicked on the halfway line but in just 10 minutes it's not much of a surprise. I know we all loved how Bobby reinvented the centre forward position by dropping deep and that's what Cody excelled at last season but now we look better with a more traditional centre forward with Nunez up top and Gakpo coming on to keep hold of the ball later on in games once we're already winning.

Jota - good poaches finish to guarantee the points. It's what he should be in the team for. In and around the six yard box, sniffing out chances and scoring goals like that.

Endo - 100% record maintained. Truly world class.

Overall I was more than happy with how we played. The players are playing a smile again and you can see how much Jürgen is enjoying himself as well. Those smiles come from wins. And those wins put a smile on my face. I'm F***ing buzzing with the start to this season. Some had said this season was a write off back in mid-July and yet come the start of October we could be top of the League.

It's been a fantastic start and hopefully we can build upon it starting with Leicester in midweek and then back to the League with Spurs on Saturday.

Quadruple is on!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6754 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #235: Sep 25, 2023 11:27:45 am
      Get the fucccckkkkk innnnnnn

I always enjoy beating those cu*ts for personal reasons.

Well done Lads
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #236: Sep 25, 2023 12:51:39 pm
      Wonder if Antonio still thinks they will finish above
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,063 posts | 2728 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #237: Sep 25, 2023 02:07:45 pm
      Get the fucccckkkkk innnnnnn

I always enjoy beating those cu*ts for personal reasons.

Well done Lads

Details please, i want to know why.  :f_whistle:
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,762 posts | 886 
      Reply #238: Sep 25, 2023 02:45:24 pm
      Agree that Gomez had a much better game. Don't think I could fault him at all and was solid all the way through in both halves of the pitch. However, I also saw that he wasn't tested at all. Wolves taunted and destroyed him, whereas West Ham posed no threat. In any case, hopefully he can kick on from there.

Delighted to see Nunez put one away. Gets slaughtered for every wasted chance, and have to say the "open goal" that he swung at and put wide wasn't so simple as he had to hit it on the turn. Brilliant result.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,266 posts | 281 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #239: Sep 25, 2023 04:46:20 pm
      Great win and like the way we’re saving our energy in the first half of every game.

Leicester then spurs next up for a second half spanking, or maybe show up for both halves. That will scare the sh*t out of everyone!
      Keny
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 179 posts | 26 
      Reply #240: Sep 25, 2023 05:53:51 pm
      Van Dijk - poor showing for the goal and from a corner where Bowen should have scored again but those two moments aside, I thought he was alright. Kept that mouthy c**t Antonio quiet and wasn't getting caught with people running in behind him as often as he has recently. A big improvement from the skipper from where he's been for most of this season and he ended up with an assist to his name.

I do think it is Matip who kept Antonio quiet in most of the game.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,050 posts | 3352 
      Reply #241: Sep 25, 2023 06:59:57 pm
      I do think it is Matip who kept Antonio quiet in most of the game.

As a pairing they kept Antonio quiet and West Ham in general after the first ten minutes.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6754 
      Reply #242: Sep 27, 2023 02:33:32 am
      Details please, i want to know why.  :f_whistle:

So my best mate lives with his family in Adelaide and me and the missus met him there when we lived there for 6 months, 20 years ago.

He is a Big West ham supporter as are his 3 boys.

Anyway his wife cheated on him, he came to Melbourne to get away, we took him in, nursed him back to mental health, he then got back together with her and told her everything we said.

They haven't talked to us since  and the last time West Ham, beat us ( had been 5 years I think, since we last talked,) all him and his Boys did was get on FB and plaster the win all over my FB feed.

Hated them ever since, the Club that is...one of their kids is my God Son.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,063 posts | 2728 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #243: Sep 27, 2023 03:13:06 am
      So my best mate lives with his family in Adelaide and me and the missus met him there when we lived there for 6 months, 20 years ago.

He is a Big West ham supporter as are his 3 boys.

Anyway his wife cheated on him, he came to Melbourne to get away, we took him in, nursed him back to mental health, he then got back together with her and told her everything we said.

They haven't talked to us since  and the last time West Ham, beat us ( had been 5 years I think, since we last talked,) all him and his Boys did was get on FB and plaster the win all over my FB feed.

Hated them ever since, the Club that is...one of their kids is my God Son.

Sorry for putting you through that mate, 🤢 didn’t realise it was that bitter. What’s more saddening is when the parents twist their children’s minds and turn them against you. 😢

Having meet you I certainly know you’re one of the good guys. Must hurt when all you’ve done is supporting him in his hour of need only to be stabbed in the back.

On a lighter note which hopefully puts smile back on your face this manc would never stab you. You’re genuine as they come. I’m not saying on a public forum I love you 😂 but you know what I mean. 🥰

Now let’s get back on topic.

Bout time you fcukers got beat but not to West Ham today, hope you smash them and then get beat in your next two games. 😂
      Peace man  :action-smiley-035:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6754 
      Reply #244: Sep 27, 2023 03:49:56 am
      Sorry for putting you through that mate, 🤢 didn’t realise it was that bitter. What’s more saddening is when the parents twist their children’s minds and turn them against you. 😢

Having meet you I certainly know you’re one of the good guys. Must hurt when all you’ve done is supporting him in his hour of need only to be stabbed in the back.

On a lighter note which hopefully puts smile back on your face this manc would never stab you. You’re genuine as they come. I’m not saying on a public forum I love you 😂 but you know what I mean. 🥰

Now let’s get back on topic.

Bout time you fcukers got beat but not to West Ham today, hope you smash them and then get beat in your next two games. 😂
      Peace man  :action-smiley-035:

Peace Brother ya F***ing Manc  :D

Next 2 PL games tough as F**k but I can't wait.

Quick Reply