Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Why are we giving up all these early goals?

Read 3385 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Why are we giving up all these early goals?
      Sep 27, 2023 10:21:17 pm
      It seems like every match were down after 8 minutes and I dont know why. Is it the "Yips"? Is it trying to break down the opposing teams set up and then getting caught out of position?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,050 posts | 3352 
      Re: Why are we giving up all these early goals?
      Reply #1: Sep 27, 2023 10:50:44 pm
      We like to give the opposition a chance.

It's unfair of us to stay level for too long because we know we're gonna score plenty against them so we have to at least give them an opportunity of getting a result against us.

I wouldn't be surprised if we start giving away two nil leads soon as one seems to be too easy for us to overturn. We need a real challenge.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,348 posts | 782 
      Reply #2: Sep 27, 2023 10:57:58 pm
      It seems like every match were down after 8 minutes and I dont know why. Is it the "Yips"? Is it trying to break down the opposing teams set up and then getting caught out of position?
      I think if it was an easy answer JK would have identified it and fixed it. Like most problems it'll be multi faceted, concentration, overconfidence?...who knows? either way It's a bad habit and one we won't always come back from.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #3: Sep 27, 2023 11:02:16 pm
      I'm just going to bet on the opposing team to score first. Probably the safest bet in football.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6753 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Sep 28, 2023 03:34:07 am
      I'm just going to bet on the opposing team to score first. Probably the safest bet in football.

Mate I did last week, us to be down inside 10 minutes. Come back and Win of course.

Money lost , F***ing typical  :throw:

I don't put anything on against The Foxes and we are down inside 3 minutes. FFS!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,656 posts | 3923 
      Reply #5: Sep 28, 2023 07:43:33 am
      I think if it was an easy answer JK would have identified it and fixed it. Like most problems it'll be multi faceted, concentration, overconfidence?...who knows? either way It's a bad habit and one we won't always come back from.

Exactly - if we do that against spurs then it’ll be tough
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,352 posts | 1533 
      Reply #6: Sep 28, 2023 08:06:15 am
      I suppose it’s the ‘ right let’s get in to these from the start. High press and put them under pressure’
      Then one ball in behind or over the top and we’ve got a 40 yd chase on our hands.
      We need the back 4 to sit a bit deeper for 10 mins until we settle into the game. 1 defensive mid also to stop the opposition playing between the lines.
      Then we can press higher !
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #7: Sep 28, 2023 08:26:33 am
      2nd best defence in the league.

Were ok.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #8: Sep 28, 2023 09:32:02 am
      I suppose it’s the ‘ right let’s get in to these from the start. High press and put them under pressure’
      Then one ball in behind or over the top and we’ve got a 40 yd chase on our hands.
      We need the back 4 to sit a bit deeper for 10 mins until we settle into the game. 1 defensive mid also to stop the opposition playing between the lines.

Think this is it.

We fly out of the blocks this season and have got caught most times.

Not a worry for me considering we still end up winning the games comfortably
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #9: Sep 28, 2023 09:46:22 am
      Think this is it.

We fly out of the blocks this season and have got caught most times.

Not a worry for me considering we still end up winning the games comfortably

It's always a trade off. And it's a decision the players and manager have to make. If we don't go out hard and can't get a goal, we'd put them under pressure. But yet if they press and concede, we'd go after them as well.

The lesser evil would then be if we concede, it's better to concede pressing than concede while sitting back. At least we tried to go for the kill.

If only we had five more players on the pitch, but that is not possible.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Sep 28, 2023 10:22:57 am
      1st goal last night was a foul, ref was doing a job on us.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,301 posts | 767 
      Reply #11: Sep 28, 2023 11:05:15 am
      Keep scoring more than we concede, that is the main thing !
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,622 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Sep 28, 2023 02:48:44 pm

https://x.com/ProjectFootball/status/1707317336120721492?s=20
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 128 
      Reply #13: Sep 28, 2023 03:10:35 pm
      Jajajajajajaja, that's class  ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #14: Sep 28, 2023 04:01:28 pm
      It's good fun now but not a sustainable thing if we want to win trophies this season.

Needs sorting.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,127 posts | 454 
      Reply #15: Sep 28, 2023 04:30:02 pm
      A lot of rotation in defence for me is the biggest  single reason.  We have constantly changed the back 5 in the 8 games so far.   Apart from vvd do we have centre halves that can play twice a week?

The good news is that we have had a lot of options after losing Trent and vvd.  The players came through without injuries.  But when changing personnel like we have it equates to mistakes at the back.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,491 posts | 220 
      Reply #16: Sep 28, 2023 04:57:48 pm
      A lot of rotation in defence for me is the biggest  single reason.  We have constantly changed the back 5 in the 8 games so far.   Apart from vvd do we have centre halves that can play twice a week?

The good news is that we have had a lot of options after losing Trent and vvd.  The players came through without injuries.  But when changing personnel like we have it equates to mistakes at the back.

If you look at it closely, it’s a lot of individual errors, Trent and vvd come to mind and the one yesterday, I remember it was a poor error by us

Just need players to really focus and be in the right frame of mind at the start

I don’t think it’s a concern just yet
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,127 posts | 454 
      Reply #17: Sep 28, 2023 05:12:00 pm
      I don't think it is a concern too.  VVd might make the odd mistake but still our best defender and one of the best around think he is getting to a high level again.  I think because of the standards he has reached to in the past, which he may not returned to is still a class act. Though I feel too many people are measuring him to the unrealistic heights he reached in the past which to me is not fair.
      « Last Edit: Sep 28, 2023 05:31:47 pm by king kenny »
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,550 posts | 1493 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #18: Sep 28, 2023 05:38:18 pm
      Obviously a plan to lure the opposition into a false state of security and then pouncing… looks like everyone’s realised it tho online now so hopefully we stop  :f_tongueincheek:
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,352 posts | 1533 
      Reply #19: Sep 29, 2023 10:14:22 am
      Well we wont go through the season without conceding goals thats for sure. I'd just be happier if we didn't concede before we scored a couple, and definitely not so early. It may not make a difference to the overall outcome of games, but it would extend the normal function of my ticker
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,298 posts | 1403 
      Reply #20: Sep 30, 2023 09:48:32 am
      We're vulnerable to counter attacks due to the high line we play. But much more so early on as we attack to get the game won. Once we establish a lead one or two goals we lie a bit deeper with the midfield holding their positions much more.

Plus we attack with intensity and pace and that pulls players higher leaving us more open than say City who attack in a more controlled clinical way.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,565 posts | 1799 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Sep 30, 2023 10:29:42 am
      I'll say it again. 2nd best defence in the league
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,622 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #22: Sep 30, 2023 10:43:20 am
      We're vulnerable to counter attacks due to the high line we play. But much more so early on as we attack to get the game won. Once we establish a lead one or two goals we lie a bit deeper with the midfield holding their positions much more.

Plus we attack with intensity and pace and that pulls players higher leaving us more open than say City who attack in a more controlled clinical way.

To add to this, the way City and Liverpool have gone about the box midfield is very different.
      City use the wide players deeper, across the deeper lying mids, while Liverpool's wide players are part of a front 3.
      So City are all about dominating the middle and Liverpool press and push high by design.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,257 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #23: Oct 02, 2023 06:18:19 pm
      Typical the only time we don’t concede an early goal we concede a very late goal
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,354 posts | 6395 
      Reply #24: Oct 03, 2023 06:53:05 pm

If we only had a defensive midfielder..... :D

Quick Reply