Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Is English officiating corrupt?

Read 62290 times
      srslfc, Harrisimo and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Re: Is English officiating corrupt?
      Reply #1357: Apr 10, 2024 05:04:34 pm
      Was the Ref right, not giving a penalty after an Arsenal defender picked the ball up to place it for a short goal kick, when the Ref had already blown for the restart goal kick.

Lack of concentration by the player. Could argue the Ref was applying sporting common sense. Or was he letting Arsenal off the hook or being unfair to Bayern.
      If the referee has signalled for the goal kick to be taken (do they always whistle?) If then it's taken, and a player mistakenly picks the ball up ....it's a penalty. There is no such criteria as "Common Sense" referee's are there to apply the rules, they are not free to interpret the rules, as in "The player mustn't have been aware the kick had been taken" If that player wasn't concentrating on the game and picks the ball up, it's not for the referee to establish the reason...just award the penalty, as is the rule.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,342 posts | 6391 
      Reply #1358: Apr 10, 2024 05:54:36 pm
      Well I'm very well aware of the 'trailing leg' con and but this was not the case here. Wan cut right across Elliott, stopping him making any progress.Wan did NOT get a touch of the ball and Elliott was taken out. You can clearly see Elliott does NOT drag his right foot against Wan as he was already put off balance by the challenge.

This according to the evidence does NOT qualify as a 'trailing leg' con. Nice try though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzxg_0ZdfMg&ab_channel=SkySportsPremierLeague

And I'm not falling for your wind up. I'm just correcting your assumption.

It's not even debatable. It's a F***ing penalty all day every day do matter who it happens to. What a stupid ass challenge to make to begin with.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #1359: Apr 10, 2024 06:25:31 pm
      If the referee has signalled for the goal kick to be taken (do they always whistle?) If then it's taken, and a player mistakenly picks the ball up ....it's a penalty. There is no such criteria as "Common Sense" referee's are there to apply the rules, they are not free to interpret the rules, as in "The player mustn't have been aware the kick had been taken" If that player wasn't concentrating on the game and picks the ball up, it's not for the referee to establish the reason...just award the penalty, as is the rule.

Well yes you make a valid case but in fact Law 5 says decisions will be made to the best of the Refs ability according to the laws and the ' spirit of the game' and the Ref has the discretion to take appropriate action ' within the framework of the game'.

So that seems to say the Ref can make a decision based on sportsmanship. But it also says he 'cannot change a RESTART decision '...he effectively did do that.

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #1360: Apr 10, 2024 06:36:53 pm
      Well yes you make a valid case but in fact Law 5 says decisions will be made to the best of the Refs ability according to the laws and the ' spirit of the game' and the Ref has the discretion to take appropriate action ' within the framework of the game'.

So that seems to say the Ref can make a decision based on sportsmanship. But it also says he 'cannot change a RESTART decision '...he effectively did do that.
      Apologies for the mixed sporting metaphor...But referee's are on a sticky wicket if they are free to interpret the "Spirit of the game" What takes precedent...The Rules, or the deeply obscure concept of "Sportsmanship"?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,591 posts | 741 
      Reply #1361: Apr 10, 2024 10:02:00 pm
      Apologies for the mixed sporting metaphor...But referee's are on a sticky wicket if they are free to interpret the "Spirit of the game" What takes precedent...The Rules, or the deeply obscure concept of "Sportsmanship"?

'Spirit of the game' should have awarded Diaz a legitimate goal at any time after that incident. SMH
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #1362: Apr 10, 2024 10:19:39 pm
      'Spirit of the game' should have awarded Diaz a legitimate goal at any time after that incident. SMH
      Spirit of the game is so abstract as to be meaningless...the rule about not being allowed to stop the game after a goal decision has been deemed an error is plainly wrong and needs to be revised.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,125 posts | 453 
      Reply #1363: Apr 11, 2024 05:06:13 pm
      Spirit of the game is so abstract as to be meaningless...the rule about not being allowed to stop the game after a goal decision has been deemed an error is plainly wrong and needs to be revised.

Totally agree especially with the last bit.  You'd think with what happen with us against Spurs they would have changed it by now.  A goal is a goal.  I said this at the time we all know that everyone was reluctant with technology and it took decade/s or whatever for it to be introduced in comparisons to other sports.   But Goal line technology they were quick,  you can't deny the fans of proper 100% unanimous unadulterated goals and should be resulted to the goal scoring teams in the first instance.
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #1364: Apr 21, 2024 10:23:19 pm
      Forest in lumber after massive whinge over 3 penalty claims today. Had a quick blimp and all 3 looked like penalties. Forrest claim they warned PGMOL that one of the VAR refs is a "Luton fan" and they wanted him dropped for this game.

Questioning the integrity of these refs is a no-no. We've been on the end of arguable the worst VAR decisions since the VAR system was introduced. But Forrest will get done over it for sure.
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2024 10:57:15 pm by Harrisimo »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #1365: Apr 21, 2024 11:09:07 pm
      Forest in lumber after massive whinge over 3 penalty claims today. Had a quick blimp and all 3 looked like penalties. Forrest claim they warned PGMOL that one of the VAR refs is a "Luton fan" and they wanted him dropped for this game.

Questioning the integrity of these refs is a no-no. We've been on the end of arguable the worst VAR decisions since the VAR system was introduced. But Forrest will get done over it for sure.

They had every right to be infuriated, shocking performance not only by the ref but var also , something has to change .i think there were four very questionable decisions, three of them could easily have been given , to not get one was very questionable.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #1366: Apr 21, 2024 11:18:42 pm

Unless I'm missing something here...After the officials Fu*ked up at Spurs, didn't LFC officially put out a statement  that we were "Exploring a range of options"? Are the two club statements materially different?
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #1367: Apr 22, 2024 12:16:03 am
      Unless I'm missing something here...After the officials Fu*ked up at Spurs, didn't LFC officially put out a statement  that we were "Exploring a range of options"? Are the two club statements materially different?

Yes we did, but VAR admitted the 'error' and we just had to move on. With the Forest '3 pens' whinge, they won't admit to any error. Also Forest are directly questioning the VAR refs integrity.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,591 posts | 741 
      Reply #1368: Apr 22, 2024 12:23:50 am
      They had every right to be infuriated, shocking performance not only by the ref but var also , something has to change .i think there were four very questionable decisions, three of them could easily have been given , to not get one was very questionable.

I dont think they were penalties at all. The 1st and 3rd one both players dived like they were shot by a sniper from the stands.

The 'handball' looks bad on slow-mo replay, but he was literally one foot away from the first player and he kicks it onto his arm, He doesnt really have time to react. Hand ball would be harsh.

I also think Wan-Bassaka in the FA Cup was harsh, i hate those new handballs. BUT he was a lot further away from the player than Ashley Young was.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #1369: Apr 22, 2024 07:48:36 am
      I dont think they were penalties at all. The 1st and 3rd one both players dived like they were shot by a sniper from the stands.

The 'handball' looks bad on slow-mo replay, but he was literally one foot away from the first player and he kicks it onto his arm, He doesnt really have time to react. Hand ball would be harsh.

I also think Wan-Bassaka in the FA Cup was harsh, i hate those new handballs. BUT he was a lot further away from the player than Ashley Young was.
      Utd or city would have got at least one of them , and just because you think they wasn’t , doesn’t make it so , I don’t like the hand ball rule but going on this years performance that should have been given .
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,883 posts | 421 
      Reply #1370: Apr 22, 2024 08:02:42 am
      Bit embarassing that Forest actually came out and said the VAR was a Luton fan.  :lmao:

Bit small time for me that.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,545 posts | 1488 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1371: Apr 22, 2024 08:34:29 am
      Bit embarassing that Forest actually came out and said the VAR was a Luton fan.  :lmao:

I love it, I wanna see what happens without us involved  :lmao:
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #1372: Apr 22, 2024 08:53:46 am
      Glad to see this happen. More needed to be done about VAR. It's obvious that it is used as a tool to favour one team over the other according to the wishes and bias of the officials.

If true about the official... a Luton fan would much prefer Forest to lose to Everton so it's a legitimate concern.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,040 posts | 2720 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1373: Apr 22, 2024 09:03:23 am

Heads will roll for that remark for sure.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 868 posts | 170 
      Reply #1374: Apr 22, 2024 09:18:57 am
      Whether you agree with the post put out by the Forest admin or not, end of the day it's just someone behind a computer expressing their frustrations to the footballing world.....frustrations that absolutely any fan would express.

Missing 1 pen shout any ref can do, but to miss 3.....with VAR? Nah. Something's up.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #1375: Apr 22, 2024 09:34:17 am
      Whether you agree with the post put out by the Forest admin or not, end of the day it's just someone behind a computer expressing their frustrations to the footballing world.....frustrations that absolutely any fan would express.

Missing 1 pen shout any ref can do, but to miss 3.....with VAR? Nah. Something's up.

It’s not just frustrations

It’s a football club publicly and opening accused a referee of corruption

It’s a poor statement
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 868 posts | 170 
      Reply #1376: Apr 22, 2024 09:46:47 am
      It’s not just frustrations

It’s a football club publicly and opening accused a referee of corruption

It’s a poor statement

Are they though? Accusing a referee of corruption? Them bringing up someone in VAR supporting a rival of theirs indicates more towards biasy, no? What is the huge issue with highlighting this. Everyone knows the rivalry between Luton and Forest and how this can affect the bottom. It's incredibly unprofessional by the PGMOL and FA to allow this to happen (especially if it is to be believed that the club made their concerns known before).

I mean we've been on enough bad calls ourselves so you'd expect Liverpool fans to resonate (not agree) with that statement. Imagine now how it would look if on Wednesday some douche on VAR is a City or Arsenal fan the very same game we have at least 2 blatant pen shouts turned down. That's ridiculous and they can't be allowed to constantly decide games based on blatant errors, Forest could be relegated by a point.

Everyone just wants to watch and experience a fair game. Why can't we have that?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,086 posts | 3444 
      Reply #1377: Apr 22, 2024 09:52:26 am
      Are they though? Accusing a referee of corruption? Them bringing up someone in VAR supporting a rival of theirs indicates more towards biasy, no? What is the huge issue with highlighting this. Everyone knows the rivalry between Luton and Forest. It's incredibly unprofessional by the PGMOL and FA to allow this to happen (especially if it is to be believed that the club made their concerns known before).

I mean we've been on enough bad calls ourselves so you'd expect Liverpool fans to resonate (not agree) with that statement. Imagine now how it would look if on Wednesday some douche on VAR is an Everton fan the very same game we have at least 2 blatant pen shouts turned down. That's ridiculous and they can't be allowed to constantly decide games based on blatant errors, Forest could be relegated by a point.

Everyone just wants to watch and experience a fair game. Why can't we have that?

Yes it is accusing an official of corruption

They have basically stated that the VAR didn’t give the penalties because he was a Luton fan and he did it to help Luton
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #1378: Apr 22, 2024 09:56:19 am
      There's certainly a case to answer: All 3 could have been given, and the fact that the ref wasn't instructed to review them on the pitch side monitor is questionable. All penalty claims should be re-checked by the ref, and all decision making removed from the VAR operator.
      Better still ditch VAR...Its ruined the game.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,336 posts | 779 
      Reply #1379: Apr 22, 2024 10:00:25 am
      Yes it is accusing an official of corruption

They have basically stated that the VAR didn’t give the penalties because he was a Luton fan and he did it to help Luton
      VAR can't give penalties...they can instruct the ref to review the incident if they feel there's a legitimate reason..all 3 incidents merited a review.

Quick Reply