Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match v Nottingham Forest

Alisson Becker
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.8%)
      Ibrahima Konaté
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (7.1%)
      Kostas Tsimikas
      0 (0%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      2 (3.6%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      42 (75%)
      Diogo Jota
      3 (5.4%)
      Darwin Nunez
      4 (7.1%)
      Mohamed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Harvey Elliott
      0 (0%)
      Wataru Endo
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Oct 31, 2023 05:07:41 pm

Liverpool 3-0 Nottingham Forest: In game and Post Match discussion.

Read 8522 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Liverpool 3-0 Nottingham Forest: In game and Post Match discussion.
      Reply #115: Oct 29, 2023 05:09:14 pm
      Poll added
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 128 
      Reply #116: Oct 29, 2023 05:22:21 pm
      It's an absolute pleasure pressing the Dominik Szoboszlai option on an almost weekly basis....  ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #117: Oct 29, 2023 06:00:07 pm
      Dom was the best player on the park, but I had to go Diogo for MOTM after the lovely gesture toward Lucho. I realize they all may have agreed that whoever scored the first would do that, but it was him, so I gave him a vote.

Good win and hoping for the best for Lucho's family.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,044 posts | 3352 
      Reply #118: Oct 29, 2023 06:13:29 pm
      Liverpool at Anfield check list;

At least three goals - done.
      Three points - done.
      Mo Salah scores - done.

As comfortable as a Premier League game can be.

Forest set their stall out from the second the game kicked off. Instead of coming on to the front foot and our centre half knocking a diagonal ball out the left wing, they instantly backed off and allow Konate to bring the ball forward ten or twenty yards. Even after we went one up they had no desire to come out. Going into the second half they were two down and still didn't offer much of an attacking threat.

And it's safe to say that we weren't at our very best today but there were times where we were breathtakingly good. Nunez's goal for instance was prime-time Klopp.

I know the midfield will get so much credit and rightly so today, I think the pace of Nunez is one of many reasons why we're so good now. Like we used to have with Mane, we have a player with genuine speed to put the shits up the opposition. No defender really likes playing against anybody that quick. Now he's settled to the League and the club, Darwin is offering us that same threat.

Three very well taken goals and another clean sheet. Even the wrist slitters can't complain with that surely. (if they're still on the forum that is)

Alisson - really difficult to analyse his match because all he had to do was wear his long-johns to stop him getting a cold.

Alexander-Arnold - gave a sloppy pass away early in the middle of the park trying to play it round the corner for Mac Allister and I thought oh here we go again, it's one of them games. But afterwards he was sound. He's not getting the plaudits this year because he's not getting as many assists and his move into midfield is now expected so it doesn't get highlighted but I think he's having a really solid season.

Konate - didn't have too much to do given how poor they were as an attacking threat but I thought he dealt with everything in his usual manner. He seems to be growing in confidence with every game - clean sheets and a settled side will do that.

Van Dijk - it seems unfair to give a centre half man of the match in a game where we had such little defending to but for me that was Van Dijk playing as he did before the injury. There was one run through where he put in a kick and reached the ball a week before the Forest player, there was another where he went and met the ball like he should. I just thought he was outstanding today. And there's been signs he's getting back to his best this year, today was one of them. He's been a bit sluggish at times and we've all said it but today he was impeccable.

Tsimikas - his best performance this season. Admittedly that isn't difficult given how he's performed previously but today he was as solid as the rest of the back line. Didn't create much on the offensive but I've always said when you're complaining about the input a defender has on the attacking side of the game you know they've done well at the job they're there to do in the first place - which is defend.

Szoboszlai - I know most will give him man of the match regardless these days because he's become the new golden boy of the forum but today's votes are thoroughly deserved. He was quality and ran the midfield. But as I've also said many times, these are the sort of games that he should be excelling in. A team who allows us to play as we wish should bring out the best of Dom and Mac and today it did.

Mac Allister - his best performance in a Liverpool shirt. I said it after the Everton game that I don't think he's the long-term solution there but he's showing signs that he can do a job there. But today he played like he could be the long-term solution. His winning the ball that led to the goal was exactly what a central midfielder should be doing. Like Dom, he was allowed to play and show his skills but you've still gotta do it. He and Dom both did today.

Gravenberch - a quiet start to the game but he grew into it and is quickly becoming a firm favourite of the fans - especially me. He was probably a bit overshadowed by the other two beside him but he was good again today. This is probably gonna be our first choice midfield three now so it's up the others to dislodge them.

Salah - a few glimpses of how good he is and his understanding with Nunez is getting better by the game. And of course he scores because when he doesn't score at Anfield? 196 goals now for the club. Still blows me mind people wanted us to sell him in the summer.

Nunez - you can't help but love the lad. His enthusiasm and desire is infectious. He plays with a smile on his mush and that rubs off the crowd and his team-mates. Nice to see him on the scoresheet again as well as being involved in pretty much every attack we had.

Jota - another quiet game from Diogo but when he's in the box he's a handful and scores a goal. Nearly 50 goals for the club now, which is no mean feat. Nice touch from him after his goal to show his support for Diaz. If he keeps scoring goals, he stays in the team.

Elliott - wasn't his best outting but he's allowed one bad game coming from the bench given how much he's impressed recently in that role.

Gakpo - you can tell he isn't fully fit just yet but he's still showing signs of that quality. I don't think he gets into the team right now, fully fit or not, but that's because those ahead of him are continuing to score goals. It's up to Cody to force his way ahead of either Darwin or Diogo.

Endo - a ten minute cameo to see the game through. It seems like some are desperate to fail as well, which I really don't get - especially when he still has a 100% record at Anfield.

Gomez - came on, game ended. Can't say much else.

Overall it's another good day for us as a club and as fans. Keeping tabs with those at the top of the table, showing quality on the attacking front and starting to sort the defensive side of the game out.

This fat b***ard is happy as Larry tonight.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,252 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Nottingham Forest
      Reply #119: Oct 29, 2023 06:32:57 pm
      Well that was easy, totally in control
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #120: Oct 29, 2023 06:35:52 pm
      Some stat that of winning every game in which Jota has ever scored for us (40 out of 40).

I don't know exactly what it means except, "Pass it to #20!!!"
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #121: Oct 29, 2023 06:37:56 pm
      Jürgen on how we can stlll improve (staying in control, keeping the pressure on, not relaxing):

"Creating without losing the compactness is pretty much the idea behind. If you have to chase a game, it's obviously a completely different task. If it's an open game then it's a different task, but if you are really in control then why should you not stay in control? The last five minutes before half-time, all of a sudden we were a bit too deep and they just could chip the balls there. One-on-one situation... we won the situation but then it was a corner or a throw in, which is by the way pretty much the same for Nottingham Forest, and these are the moments where we have to improve, clearly. In creative things, you always can improve. That is always possible because the boys have a lot of potential so we have to use it fully."
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #122: Oct 29, 2023 06:53:45 pm
      Did not see the game, seemingly a very decent win for the Reds. Nice to see Jota, Nunez and Salah all on the score sheet today.
      Millsy75
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts | 47 
      Reply #123: Oct 29, 2023 07:13:16 pm
      It's an absolute pleasure pressing the Dominik Szoboszlai option on an almost weekly basis....  ;D
      was you at the game ,i was in kop and van dijk best player on pitch by a mile
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,398 posts | 2825 
      Reply #124: Oct 29, 2023 07:36:51 pm
      Some stat that of winning every game in which Jota has ever scored for us (40 out of 40).

I don't know exactly what it means except, "Pass it to #20!!!"

Can’t be true this? I remember his scoring at City in a 2-2 draw for starters.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #125: Oct 29, 2023 09:08:46 pm
      Gone for Szoboszlai for man of the match but thought they were all, Tsimikas possibly apart, very good.

Virgil van Dijk didn't break a sweat all game - looking much better than last season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,800 posts | 6747 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #126: Oct 29, 2023 09:13:27 pm
      A walk in the park that was, like a training drill.

Szobo, wow what a player we have. Am sure he covered every blade of grass out there. Immense my MOTM

Was also so happy for Mo scoring, is it true that he has now scored 14 games running at Anfield?  That is another amazing record from our Egyptian King. Legend!

Klopp 2.0 and I'm F***ing loving it!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #127: Oct 29, 2023 09:25:40 pm
      I've been critical of MacAllister but I suppose we have to look at his game in the round. Hendo took stick for years (not from me) and it took time to sink in that Hendo was never a 'headliner'. His game was about dependability, work rate, doing the simple things consistently well.

MacAllister I think is in a similar place. Does the simple stuff well, keeps us ticking over.So basically when we fully realise Mac's capabilities we can accept and appreciate his game a bit more. Stop looking for the 'hollywood' ball. Still early days I know but I will keep in mind what his game is about.
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #128: Oct 29, 2023 09:32:28 pm
      Gone for Szoboszlai for man of the match but thought they were all, Tsimikas possibly apart, very good.

Virgil van Dijk didn't break a sweat all game - looking much better than last season.

Thought Kostas has come in and done well enough. I mean he's not Robbo but I think he has the Boss's confidence. Was a worry knowing Robbo is out for 3 months and that might be a blessing in D. As Robbo has been going full pelt since he was about 6.

Kostas...room for improvement but doing OK.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #129: Oct 30, 2023 04:35:47 am
      Gravenberch was a bit too much on the left for my taste and to get the best of him, I think. But the team was functionning and the passing was fine. I said several times last season that we did not know how to keep possession and knew only couter-attacking football. Things are changing, it seems. We now have the midfielders to control the tempo.

Jota, I love him. He's more direct and efficient than Diaz, although less spectacular. Great gesture from the team.

Szobo is really something. Can do everything. Captain material for sure, beware Trent!

We haven't seen peak Salah yet, but he keeps on scoring. So far so good, like Klopp would say.

Had to say something about Nunez: I like how direct he is. He got a through ball from Salah and he simply shot. Luckily, Jota was there to take the rebound and score. But it's great to have this kind of players who shoot whenever it's possible. It pays off at the end because you're creating danger.

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2023 07:47:37 am by alex1995 »
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #130: Oct 30, 2023 09:22:06 am
      I've been critical of MacAllister but I suppose we have to look at his game in the round. Hendo took stick for years (not from me) and it took time to sink in that Hendo was never a 'headliner'. His game was about dependability, work rate, doing the simple things consistently well.

MacAllister I think is in a similar place. Does the simple stuff well, keeps us ticking over.So basically when we fully realise Mac's capabilities we can accept and appreciate his game a bit more. Stop looking for the 'hollywood' ball. Still early days I know but I will keep in mind what his game is about.

He does seem to be struggling, and has not been the player I expected.

What surprised me is how slow he is. Zero pace, and so slow in his tackles which means he has the tendency to be late and foul the player. Bizarre to see a player that is so slow in everything. Definitely needs to be higher up the pitch so he can control the game and hopefully not move around much  ;D
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #131: Oct 30, 2023 09:32:44 am

What surprised me is how slow he is. Zero pace, and so slow in his tackles which means he has the tendency to be late and foul the player. Bizarre to see a player that is so slow in everything. Definitely needs to be higher up the pitch so he can control the game and hopefully not move around much  ;D

Go back 10 years and I suspect you posted something similar about Henderson - and that’s the exact reason why some won’t see what Gary Mac is doing for the team

He is doing a very key job there being the pivot and the player to keep the ball moving and despite what some say he is also getting stuck in - yesterday as an example he won 12 out of 12 deals - just look who broke up the play and then played the early ball for the first goal yet

He is very intelligent and doing a lot of the unseen ugly work - and won’t get the credit for it
      « Last Edit: Oct 30, 2023 09:49:09 am by Lallana in Pyjamas »
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #132: Oct 30, 2023 10:08:54 am
      No, I wasn't critical of Henderson
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #133: Oct 30, 2023 10:18:46 am

Had you never seen him play before. I said straight away when we were linked he didn't suit our pressing game precisely because he is slow.

He's playing out of position currently and I feel abit sorry for him. His confidence has definitely taken a knock and its always hard settling into a new team.

One would think we will go out and buy a top quality no6 and where will he fit in then? Dom and Grav staking their claim to play in the 2 advanced positions. Bajcetic is going to be a really good no6 as well imo .

Interesting times ahead.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #134: Oct 30, 2023 10:34:58 am
      Had you never seen him play before. I said straight away when we were linked he didn't suit our pressing game precisely because he is slow.

He's playing out of position currently and I feel abit sorry for him. His confidence has definitely taken a knock and its always hard settling into a new team.

One would think we will go out and buy a top quality no6 and where will he fit in then? Dom and Grav staking their claim to play in the 2 advanced positions. Bajcetic is going to be a really good no6 as well imo .

Interesting times ahead.

I’m guessing you didn’t watch the game yesterday
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #135: Oct 30, 2023 11:22:06 am
      No, I wasn't critical of Henderson

What you posted is a perfect example of the sort of stuff people used to post about Henderson when he did a lot of the unseen dirty work
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #136: Oct 30, 2023 11:54:48 am
      It’s fine having Mac and Trent as the two play makers and Mac doing most of the defensive cover agsinst the dross like Forest.

The question mark in this set up is against the better teams who will target Mac’s lack of recovery pace, something we have already seen.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,654 posts | 3922 
      Reply #137: Oct 30, 2023 12:09:11 pm

He was literally 8/10 yesterday - what are you talking about.

Quick Reply