Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Pre-match: Sheffield United v Liverpool; EPL, Wed 6th Dec '23 KO:19.30

Read 3284 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Pre-match: Sheffield United v Liverpool; EPL, Wed 6th Dec '23 KO:19.30
      Dec 04, 2023 05:14:06 pm
      Well we play Sheffield Utd on Wed in sunny Yorkshire, who knew?

Rumours about that they are to sack their manager soon, so you know what that means, they'll play like Real Madrid.

Any hoo, same again for me, but without the calamity defending please.
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2023 06:25:18 pm by RedPuppy »
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Re: Pre-match: Sheffield United v Liverpool; EPL, Wed 6th Dec '23 KO:19.30
      Reply #1: Dec 04, 2023 05:34:01 pm
      Well we play Sheffield Utd on Wed in sunny Yorkshire, who knew?

Rumours about that they are to sack their manager soon, so you know what that means, they'll play like Real Madrid.

Any hoo, same again for me, but without the calamity defending please.

Might be klopps old mate wilder in charge. Let's not be making excuses about new managers etc. I can see them sacking him after our game to be honest. But this manager no manager new manager they are rubbish and should be 3 points. Luton should have been 3 points too though.

Kellerher
      Gomez
      Virg
      Konate
      Tsimikas

Endo
      Dom
      Trent

Salah
      Gapko
      Diaz
      « Last Edit: Dec 04, 2023 06:24:14 pm by RedPuppy »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Re: Pre-match: Sheffield United v Liverpool; EPL [Wed 6th Dec '23 KO:19.30 ]
      Reply #2: Dec 04, 2023 06:26:59 pm
      Please don't put me through the same heart stopping scenario again. Let's just go there with a defensive, never say die attitude and lock the back door. Then when that's secure, go and bag a couple of goals.  I'm sure I put 0 - 3 in the prediction league for this. Come on lads, I need to get one right very soon as I'm dropping off the pace.
      A big hit losing Matip. Wonder how long Konate will last this time around?. Will Kellagher sort out the jitters ? Will Endo get a game ? Can Endo play with Mac pushing forward ?   Will Mac get a game if Endo Starts ? Will Mo get his milestone 200th goal.   More questions than answers.
      Just don't under estimate them, and get at it from the start.

Just checked. Actually went for 0-4  ;D ;D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #3: Dec 04, 2023 06:27:58 pm
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,397 posts | 2823 
      Reply #4: Dec 04, 2023 07:22:09 pm
      New manager bounce for them along with our poor recent record away at newly promoted team makes this a very tricky match. Really need to find a way to play better on the road against these sorts of teams.

Kelleher; Trent, Konate, Van Dijk, Tsimikas; Endo, Mac, Elliott; Salah, Gakpo, Diaz.
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #5: Dec 04, 2023 09:17:41 pm
      Might rotate the odd player here Endo, Gomez,Elliott,Gakpo could be starters . Two tricky away games coming up but if serious we really need 6 points .
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2023 09:48:50 pm
      Is it just me or do we play a disproportionate amount of 12:30 games? Of course that comes after a mid week round of fixtures. Consequently, there was no 12:30 kick off last week but that’s because we were playing on the Thursday and of course they couldn’t pick between the other 19 teams.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #7: Dec 05, 2023 09:14:25 am
      We own the 1230 KO time.

Besides these are professional footballers who are expected to put in a shift at the highest level when called upon, including a 230am KO time.

They’re paid that much to put their bodies on the line and through the toughest conditions. Just go out there and do the job no matter the schedule is. Check complete.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #8: Dec 05, 2023 09:27:48 am
      Goals from Endo, Dom, Grav and Mac this year feels good.

Trent moving central and scoring too.

So many goal threats now!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #9: Dec 05, 2023 10:15:33 am
      This should be an easy win for the Reds, even with our calamity defending ! I posted a 3  0 win before Sunday's game against Fulham. I am not sure about starting Darwin who seems to lack cutting edge in front of goal.

It is fortunate our midfield can produce so many stunning goals, so Endo and Mac should start, main thing another 3 points for the Reds, any other result would be unthinkable !
      « Last Edit: Dec 05, 2023 10:22:42 am by David Wright »
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #10: Dec 05, 2023 10:21:11 am
      Learnt not to get too hung up on whether we play beautiful football, pick our opponents apart and play well throughout the match. It’s certainly very difficult to do that consistently over the course of the season.

What’s more important are the moments leading to goals that matter. We can play like losers, but if we create those key moments more than whoever we are playing, they’re all that matters.

I just need Mo, Darwin or whoever to pop up at the right moment and they can go missing for most of the game. Just make those moments count more than our opponents. Better late to realise this than never.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Dec 05, 2023 11:14:23 am
      This should be an easy win for the Reds, even with our calamity defending ! I posted a 3  0 win before Sunday's game against Fulham. I am not sure about starting Darwin who seems to lack cutting edge in front of goal.

It is fortunate our midfield can produce so many stunning goals, so Endo and Mac should start, main thing another 3 points for the Reds, any other result would be unthinkable !

The defending was a blip I hope, due to loss of no.1 goalie and some rubbish play.

We will be more solid tmrw night im sure.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12: Dec 05, 2023 11:16:18 am
      Im sensin some changes to starting 11.

------------ Kellher --------------
      - Trent - Konate - VVD - Gomez -
      ------------ Endo -----------------
      ---- Elliott ---- Jones ------------
      - Salah - Gappers - Diaz -

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #13: Dec 05, 2023 11:22:29 am
      Szobo and Grav looked like they need a rest so can’t see those two starting.

Interesting to see if Endo gets a start.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Dec 05, 2023 11:30:26 am
      Szobo and Grav looked like they need a rest so can’t see those two starting.

Interesting to see if Endo gets a start.

Exactly what I was thinking, also said macca was knackered, so could be the backup MF lads so to speak.

Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #15: Dec 05, 2023 12:04:56 pm
      Got to make the decision on Trent sooner or later. Go all out in midfield. Played the last 35m V Fulham with Joe at RB and Trent in mid.

This might be the game, on paper the easiest away game. Got to accept the reality, and Klopp knows playing Trent in the inverted game plan leaves a huge space down our right. Fulham exploited it, others will as well. So:

Kelly...Joe..Konte..VVD. .Kostas....Endo..Trent.. Macca...Mo...Nunez...Dia z.

But t'other way of looking at it is keep Trent in the inverted role gives us 4 in midfield a lot of the time. That pro has to be weighed against the con of giving away space down our right.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #16: Dec 05, 2023 12:05:22 pm
      Simon Hopper will be the ref for tonight’s match. We will need to doubly depend on ourselves.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #17: Dec 05, 2023 12:19:37 pm
      Is the kickoff clock above 24hrs off? The match is Wednesday right? Not today?
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #18: Dec 05, 2023 12:37:46 pm
      Klopps old mate wilder back in charge.

Sheffield United are rubbish. No excuses. Right attitude from the off ... match their little burst of intensity early doors and do the hard yards and 3 points will be in the bank.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6952 
      Reply #19: Dec 05, 2023 01:30:55 pm
      Is the kickoff clock above 24hrs off? The match is Wednesday right? Not today?

Wednesday yes.
      rossyred

• 9,296 posts | 1666 
      Reply #20: Dec 05, 2023 02:02:15 pm
      Klopps old mate wilder back in charge.

Sheffield United are rubbish. No excuses. Right attitude from the off ... match their little burst of intensity early doors and do the hard yards and 3 points will be in the bank.

They will come out firing no doubt just need to ride the storm and quiten the crowd and our quality will.shine through
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #21: Dec 05, 2023 02:05:17 pm
      Simon Hopper will be the ref for tonight’s match. We will need to doubly depend on ourselves.

Who we playing tonight , ?🤔
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #22: Dec 05, 2023 04:32:12 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I think that the majority of the match, we will be playing with three at the back so overall I would play with that system.

I would drop Darwin and Gravenberch. I would rest Konate because he can't play more than one match per week.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 300 
      Reply #23: Dec 05, 2023 07:19:05 pm
      We need to make a few changes as we've got lots of matches in December. Our bigger squad (even with injuries) should give us an advantage over Sheffield United.

Kelleher
      Trent, Konate, Virgil, Tsimikas
         Elliot Endo Gravenberch
          Mo, Gakpo, Diaz

Darwin, Szoboszlai, MacAllister and maybe Jones in second half to take advantage of a tired Sheff U.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #24: Dec 05, 2023 07:48:12 pm
      We need to make a few changes as we've got lots of matches in December. Our bigger squad (even with injuries) should give us an advantage over Sheffield United.

Kelleher
      Trent, Konate, Virgil, Tsimikas
         Elliot Endo Gravenberch
          Mo, Gakpo, Diaz

Darwin, Szoboszlai, MacAllister and maybe Jones in second half to take advantage of a tired Sheff U.

I disagree totally on who to rest. I would rest Konate. And apart from that I won't rest neither Alexis nor Dominik but if you are resting, rest only one of them.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 300 
      Reply #25: Dec 05, 2023 08:02:35 pm
      I disagree totally on who to rest. I would rest Konate. And apart from that I won't rest neither Alexis nor Dominik but if you are resting, rest only one of them.

I think you make a good point but we could make a reasonable argument for resting any of the players. The only players who should not be rested IMO are Trent, Mo, Virgil, Tsimikas and Kelleher. The first 3 are very important for the team and the other 2 don't have much back up because of injuries.

We have 3 winnable games this week; Fulham, Sheffield United and Crystal Palace. We should have some squad rotation in all those games. I don't know enough about those teams to give a strong opinion on which of our players would be best for each game. Klopp and his coaches will make a decision on our players fitness and the opposition's strengths and weaknesses.

We should be able to rest almost everyone next week in the Europa league.
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #26: Dec 05, 2023 08:06:15 pm

I think Palace are a bigger more physical side and maybe I'd save konate for that game. That would also give him 8 days to recover for the United game which should be enough as we know can't back up games as in Sunday Thursday Sunday

I'd go quansa with virg and gomez right back. Dom and Trent infront of endo. Mo Cody and Luis in attack.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #27: Dec 05, 2023 08:09:20 pm
      This is on Amazon if anyone is interested and doesn't have Sky/TNT.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #28: Dec 05, 2023 08:11:02 pm
      I think Palace are a bigger more physical side and maybe I'd save konate for that game. That would also give him 8 days to recover for the United game which should be enough as we know can't back up games as in Sunday Thursday Sunday

I'd go quansa with virg and gomez right back. Dom and Trent infront of endo. Mo Cody and Luis in attack.

Certainly enough firepower upfront to beat a very poor Sheffield Utd side, who seem out of their depth in the Premier league.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #29: Dec 05, 2023 08:38:08 pm
      Nothing less than 3 points will cut it.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,033 posts | 534 
      Reply #30: Dec 05, 2023 11:54:20 pm
      Away from home against sh*t teams has been our Achilles heel the last year and a half, and teams dont come much shi**er than Sheffield Utd.

The fact they have just changed managers might give them a boost but we should be beating them comfortably, they must be one of the worst teams the PL has had.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #31: Dec 05, 2023 11:57:24 pm
      This is on Amazon if anyone is interested and doesn't have Sky/TNT.

Amazon, does that mean we can silence the commentators but keep the crowd live 👍
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #32: Dec 06, 2023 12:00:10 am
      And let’s go all out best available side to start, then rest players once we’re well ahead.
      High tempo, move the ball quick and pressure them full on from the start !
      No complacency, get the job done.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,252 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #33: Dec 06, 2023 08:24:43 am
      Heads down and at it from the start, press press and sort the game out in yhe first half
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,489 posts | 220 
      Reply #34: Dec 06, 2023 09:05:50 am
      Amazed people want to rotate so much

It’s disrespectful to Sheffield. Have you learnt nothing from how these games go

Away, crowd up for it, new manager and them fighting like lions and we know we struggle in these sort of games

So the solution for some ? Urrrmmmmmm let’s rotate a huge deal as we should be fine

Wake up ffs

Yes we could steam roll this but we may be in for another Luton type game

If we rotate, I would only do one from each key area, so maybe Gomez in instead at cb

Endo in cm with dom and mac as I’m sure dom came off anyway so should be more refreshed

Then up top play Cody instead of Nunez and that’s it

If we do well, then bring on Eliott and someone else for a couple of cm etc

But don’t go in with 5 changes and then get beaten and then the same people whine about it. Respect who we are facing, this will be battle and the players need to face it head on

Then after that focus on the next game and see what we can do

IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #35: Dec 06, 2023 09:30:04 am
      Think we need to keep the results up to solidify our position and keep challenging for 1st. I’d not be looking for much rotation personally, maybe more so playing to any of Sheffields weaknesses instead and if that requires certain players then so be it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #36: Dec 06, 2023 10:31:21 am
      start of a run of 9 games in 30 days, there will be rotation.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #37: Dec 06, 2023 10:37:35 am
      Concentrate on one game at a time, certainly do not want to slip up against Sheffield Utd tonight. An early goal maybe to totally deflate an already struggling side.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #38: Dec 06, 2023 10:43:49 am
      Amazed people want to rotate so much

It’s disrespectful to Sheffield. Have you learnt nothing from how these games go

Away, crowd up for it, new manager and them fighting like lions and we know we struggle in these sort of games

So the solution for some ? Urrrmmmmmm let’s rotate a huge deal as we should be fine

Wake up ffs

Yes we could steam roll this but we may be in for another Luton type game

If we rotate, I would only do one from each key area, so maybe Gomez in instead at cb

Endo in cm with dom and mac as I’m sure dom came off anyway so should be more refreshed

Then up top play Cody instead of Nunez and that’s it

If we do well, then bring on Eliott and someone else for a couple of cm etc

But don’t go in with 5 changes and then get beaten and then the same people whine about it. Respect who we are facing, this will be battle and the players need to face it head on

Then after that focus on the next game and see what we can do
      Any team we put out should be more than capable of seeing this shower off. In truth Arsenal battered Luton last night and that was in second gear, the reason we didn't beat Luton was on us...not them...we were abject that day and our (non) performance flattered Luton....who will go down with Sheffield and Burnley.
      Harrisimo

• 8,296 posts | 1403 
      Reply #39: Dec 06, 2023 11:23:47 am
      Got to nail these early on. Get back, grab a sarnie then traipse back down to London for another 'arf twelve kick off. Say hello to Roy.

"'ello Roy.."

"Piss off"..
      « Last Edit: Dec 06, 2023 11:30:33 am by Harrisimo »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,350 posts | 1533 
      Reply #40: Dec 06, 2023 12:39:55 pm
      Wilder going back to blades won’t make them better players, but it will galvanise them, and they’ll be fighting like mad to retain their places in the side.
      We will only beat these tonight if we match their effort and fight.
      No sense weakening the side for that kind of battle.
      We seem to be so easy to score against on the quick counter, we have to win that midfield and boss it for 90 plus mins.
      Not just the strongest side, but the players who are used to playing with each other more often than not.
      Don’t upset the balance or the rythm.
      Get the game won, then look to rest players.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #41: Dec 06, 2023 01:11:09 pm
      Wilder going back to blades won’t make them better players, but it will galvanise them, and they’ll be fighting like mad to retain their places in the side.
      We will only beat these tonight if we match their effort and fight.
      No sense weakening the side for that kind of battle.
      We seem to be so easy to score against on the quick counter, we have to win that midfield and boss it for 90 plus mins.
      Not just the strongest side, but the players who are used to playing with each other more often than not.
      Don’t upset the balance or the rythm.
      Get the game won, then look to rest players.

Klopp wont want to upset the rhythm either, but he will go with whoever the medical dept. say is fit enough etc. And he is already quoted saying macca was knackered at weekend, and sobo has been off the pace recently too, so I expect 1 or both of them to be benched.

Jones & Elliott are fresh and sharp, so can see them getting a start, even if its just 60mins, then bring on sobbo & macca.

Anyway, all gueswork, we will know soon enough.
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #42: Dec 06, 2023 01:15:25 pm

Been misled by the game countdown clock before it was rectified!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,300 posts | 766 
      Reply #43: Dec 06, 2023 01:47:06 pm
      Been misled by the game countdown clock before it was rectified!

Not suprised by anyone feeling misled by the game countdown clock, what a topsy turvy world we live in !

Let's hope the Redmen can find the back of the net tonight, without conceding, gone for 3  0 to the Reds.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,818 posts | 471 
      Reply #44: Dec 06, 2023 04:57:36 pm
      Is it me? Or do we always seem to play teams on the new coach bounce, specifically the first game in charge??

We need to be ready from the opening whistle!
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,818 posts | 471 
      Reply #45: Dec 06, 2023 04:58:41 pm
      Klopp wont want to upset the rhythm either, but he will go with whoever the medical dept. say is fit enough etc. And he is already quoted saying macca was knackered at weekend, and sobo has been off the pace recently too, so I expect 1 or both of them to be benched.

Jones & Elliott are fresh and sharp, so can see them getting a start, even if its just 60mins, then bring on sobbo & macca.

Anyway, all gueswork, we will know soon enough.
      Agree, but Jones just needs to be so much better then his last outing.
      I’m starting to lose belief in him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #46: Dec 06, 2023 05:28:41 pm
      Nervous now, we are F***ing sh*t away from home against these teams!
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,337 posts | 779 
      Reply #47: Dec 06, 2023 05:36:02 pm
      Is it me? Or do we always seem to play teams on the new coach bounce, specifically the first game in charge??

We need to be ready from the opening whistle!
      Yes it's just you with some distorted inner perception.......It's statistically impossible that we always play sides that have just changed manager.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,491 posts | 1479 
      Reply #48: Dec 06, 2023 06:28:32 pm
      Amazon, does that mean we can silence the commentators but keep the crowd live 👍
      That’ll be the option I’m choosing seeing as mop head macca is on comms.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,560 posts | 1793 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #49: Dec 06, 2023 06:36:44 pm
      Agree, but Jones just needs to be so much better then his last outing.
      I’m starting to lose belief in him.

Well he's not starting. Endo is in tho.

Quick Reply