Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

BREAKING: Jürgen Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of 2023/24 season

Read 16993 times
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 849 posts | 303 
      Re: BREAKING: Jürgen Klopp to leave Liverpool at the end of 2023/24 season
      Reply #345: Jan 28, 2024 05:31:45 pm
      This.
      I myself thought next JK job most possibly Germany National football. Can't see he take any club job, not by his personal/character.
      But whatever he choose just wishing him the best, not our serious business.

If the stories about him building a house in Majorca are true then you are probably correct. Spend most of his time living in the sun and go to Germany regularly for games and training camps.
      He deserves a nice semi retirement job for a few years.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #346: Jan 28, 2024 05:43:05 pm
      This is from Neil Atkinson (The Anfield Wrap). I think it's worth a read.

Jürgen Klopp To Leave Liverpool - Reaction
      IN this smoking chaos our shoulder blades kissed.

Ultimately, it was an act of love.

It was the only way to do it.

Walking down some stairs in Motel in the gap between Rodgers and Klopp, I remember shouting at someone who was doing my head in that I was worried no one could do it, and we'd take this sound fella and end up ruining him like all the others and then what?

Then what?

Then, this enormous act of love. Of the utmost care.

We've spoken, written before in this space and ones like it that care intensified is love and that is indeed what Jürgen Klopp has done from day one. Cared so much and found his way and ours. We haven't ruined this sound fella, instead he has been the making of us.

He's believed in days, in being present for every moment, in standing together. In the smoking chaos, something was cracked and broken and had been cracked and broken and smoking chaos for a long time, longer than any of us thought.

The 2013-14 season had been a crack of light, of possibility and adrenaline but just that, and by the time of Tottenham away it felt half a world away, not two seasons.

I think it took him time to realise the cracked, broken thing and then there was December  13th, 2015, and West Bromwich Albion at Anfield.

It is the most Jürgen Klopp thing that it wasn't a big win or a win against a big team or even a draw against a rival that was the catalyst. It was a draw against a team nicknamed The Baggies that clarified everything, that showed what had been broken and showed the only way it could be fixed.

When he took the players to The Kop, for which he was derided by so many wise heads in this parish, when he did that what he said was that this is this simple. We, me, my staff, my players, will care so intensely, it will make that care as hard as a diamond, make that care love in its purest form.

We will demand this of ourselves. And, in return, we will demand it of you.

That was the covenant. That was the deal. And we all held up our bargain. We all did our bit. We all chose care.

Because it was the only way to do it.

There is a line from West Brom to Barcelona, same end, same joy, same feeling, just times 100 in terms of significance and resonance. It was from that acorn, that moment, that promise we had such a thing and all the days, Jürgen Klopp has taught us, all the days are worth loving, both in themselves and for what they lead to.

His statement to camera, straight down the barrel, speaks unashamedly of love in a way that this game recoils from so often and shouldn't. The essence of how he sees it, how he has made us see it, is that at its core it is love and togetherness that makes the day worth having, the memory worth making and the delight in it all stems solely from that.

The storm, it came up strong, it shook the trees, blew away our fear. We collected the days together, collected the moments like butterflies and like stamps, shared in them at Anfield, in away ends, in neutral grounds, in boozers and supporters clubs across the globe.

We loved them and wrung the life out of them, wrung the life out of ourselves in doing so, we had it all around us because that was what he wanted more than anything, that was the gift.

He won every trophy, made us World Champions, but the glory wasn't just in the trophies it was in the transit. It was there we saw the best of footballers who were to move on, appreciated them for what they gave.

It was there we found one another, ready to commit wholeheartedly to this thing of ours again. It was there he changed what this club is, had it at the vanguard of what support in the 21st century is, took it on and imprinted himself and his values in this messy, modern era on it.

I remain convinced that Covid took a great deal from him and us in a footballing sense that wasn't as intensely the case up and down the country as it was here, but again he rallied us when we could all be back together.

Then another dip when he looked the exhausted man he has described today before looking more energised than we have ever known this campaign, which is part of why this is such a shock. But part of the act of care is to hand it over in the best possible shape, to know this thing is so special it can go on.

It was an act of love.

But it is an act of love. It remains in the present tense, not the past, because of everything that is to come. Game after game now, we get to say goodbye but we get to live, ablaze, one last time with him and try to win everything with him.

Every big win, every small win, every draw, every fistpump we can share and we can build them into a season which is a cathedral of memory and delight.

There's form for this here. Bob Paisley in 1983, for instance. Lifted the League Cup and the league.

It's an act of love in the present because it will not stop, because close your eyes and there is West Brom, and there is Madrid, and there is next Wednesday against Chelsea, the biggest game of our lives.

Then the one after, and then the one after, and there is United 2-0 in 2020, and then there is his glasses at Norwich, and then there is him kicking off on the Main Stand, and there will be more European nights to come.

There is him indelibly in our lives, in our story, both individual and collective, and what he has meant to those areas that intersect, and what we have meant to him.

It was the only way to do it.

Beautiful.

Exploding.

Neil
      Wow
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #347: Jan 29, 2024 03:48:46 am
      Good.

Big fella deserves a holiday gaff where he can get a few rays and have a bevy.

And a few doobies. I reckon Jürgen would partake, for sure!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #348: Jan 29, 2024 12:57:56 pm
      And a few doobies. I reckon Jürgen would partake, for sure!

Hahaha - don’t Bogart that joint Jürgen pass it over to me.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,759 posts | 863 
      Reply #349: Jan 29, 2024 01:05:57 pm
      Still feels like sh*t. Just can't help but feel very sad every time this comes on my mind.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,153 posts | 3385 
      Reply #350: Jan 29, 2024 02:11:54 pm

You can see the toll the job has taken on him. The day he arrived he looked fresh out of school, nearly nine years later and he looks like the granddad he is.

The man is deserving of a rest. He has given everything to this club.

Thank you Jürgen!
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #351: Jan 29, 2024 02:32:06 pm
      He has outlasted the magical seven year milestone and naturally it’s just a matter of time. We’ve had the benefit of the extra year though if we look at it that way.
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #352: Jan 29, 2024 03:54:36 pm
      Lots of musings about the 'true' reason Klopp has decided go..

I've thought long and hard and it's most likely that he was told that we are 100% signing Mbappe in the Summer, so he wants out now. You heard it here first.  :f_tongueincheek:
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 842 posts | 142 
      Reply #353: Jan 29, 2024 04:20:35 pm

You can see the toll the job has taken on him. The day he arrived he looked fresh out of school, nearly nine years later and he looks like the granddad he is.

The man is deserving of a rest. He has given everything to this club.

Thank you Jürgen!
      I think quite a few chaps would take that look whilst heading towards their 60's  :roll:

But yes, he deserves some sun & pool time. Well deserved for Jürgen and Ulla....
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,245 posts | 3496 
      Reply #354: Jan 29, 2024 05:31:38 pm
      Jimsouse67

• 9,548 posts | 1495 
      Reply #355: Jan 29, 2024 05:34:56 pm
      Still feels like sh*t. Just can't help but feel very sad every time this comes on my mind.
      Sad & heartbreaking in equal measure but I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that all  reds across the globe have been  blessed,honoured & privileged  to have had this incredible man for 8 glorious years &  witnessed countless  incredible moments because of him & it’s not over just yet & I will be forever grateful.
      Harrisimo

• 8,413 posts | 1433 
      Reply #356: Jan 29, 2024 06:33:30 pm
      Could do without some of the stuff coming out. VVD saying a few things. Quite a few are out of contract in '25 or so. Contract negotiations will be put on hold.Some might want to see the direction were going before they commit. That could take many down to 6 months or so left to run.

Difficult few years ahead.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,729 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #357: Jan 29, 2024 07:10:50 pm
      Could do without some of the stuff coming out. VVD saying a few things. Quite a few are out of contract in '25 or so. Contract negotiations will be put on hold.Some might want to see the direction were going before they commit. That could take many down to 6 months or so left to run.

Difficult few years ahead.

Success this season is needed because afterwards we will need a year to adjust to the manager.
      Harrisimo

• 8,413 posts | 1433 
      Reply #358: Jan 29, 2024 07:41:43 pm
      Success this season is needed because afterwards we will need a year to adjust to the manager.

Indeed, absolutely vital that we get at least top 4. Obviously well placed but it is a minimum requirement. VVD as club captain should be slightly more restrained. We're all under contract for life.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #359: Jan 29, 2024 09:39:14 pm
      Press really starting to run with the vvd, salah, trent leaving stories now
      Harrisimo

• 8,413 posts | 1433 
      Reply #360: Jan 29, 2024 10:30:59 pm
      I, like the vast majority on 'ere, don't subscribe to any of the half baked theories knocking about, like he's got the hump with the owners or anything like that. I accept his reasons 100%.

Just wonder if, for instance the Spurs screw up or the general anger he might have over the integrity of the officials, might've influenced or speeded up his decision.. I mean not likely and we might only find out what he really thinks about stuff like that, when or if he writes a book.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,153 posts | 3385 
      Reply #361: Jan 29, 2024 10:43:33 pm
      If he told the owners in November, something must have sparked it off. It's the only time we've had a real wobble this season as well with just one win in a four game period (Luton, Toulouse, Brentford, City).

It was also around the time of Diaz's father being kidnapped. I wonder if that triggered something in Jürgen's mind to say actually there's things far more important than football.
      Harrisimo

• 8,413 posts | 1433 
      Reply #362: Jan 29, 2024 11:01:12 pm
      If he told the owners in November, something must have sparked it off. It's the only time we've had a real wobble this season as well with just one win in a four game period (Luton, Toulouse, Brentford, City).

It was also around the time of Diaz's father being kidnapped. I wonder if that triggered something in Jürgen's mind to say actually there's things far more important than football.

I'm not 100% convinced, that if we were doing badly, like out of the top 4, that he would've stuck with his decision. Now we are doing so well he can confirm his decision, safe in the knowledge that we are going to at least finish in the top 4. Obviously the reveal might've been forced as someone might've been about to blow the story.

Next season the Champions league will have a new format. Need to be a Philadelphia lawyer to fathom it out, but teams will play a minimum of 8 games instead of currently 6. Could be that that screw up has pushed him over the edge...blew a fuse trying to work out WTF their doing with it.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/story/_/id/37628341/champions-league-revamp-how-competition-work
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,251 posts | 1226 
      Reply #363: Jan 29, 2024 11:17:39 pm

I think he mentioned in his interview the other day that last season he started to think about it. But he also said in interviews going back a while that he wanted to see the world and wouldn't be a manager that would stay until his old age. I think perhaps the impact of last season and all the stress that went with it, to then get us back on track with a rebuild and the team now on a new trajectory he probably felt it was the right time. As he said, to be able to succeed he has to be fully immersed and must be draining. And when you know you might not be able to give it your all indefinitely the honourable thing to do is pass the baton.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #364: Jan 29, 2024 11:19:44 pm
      I still believe him when he says he needs a break from football. Jürgen has aged quite a bit in the time he has been manager.

We will simply have to accept his descision obviously all fans wish Jürgen and Ulla well for the future.

LFC have the best fans in the country and I am sure everyone will be right behind the team next season.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,477 posts | 823 
      Reply #365: Jan 30, 2024 12:04:05 am
      All people when trying to comprehend something so unsettling and out of the blue, will attempt to fill the vacuum with all kinds of various narratives in an effort to make sense out of it. I have neither seen nor heard anything which would cause me, for even a milli second to doubt, as complete truth, every word that the boss said. There are though some factors which strike me as frankly odd. I'm no psychologist, nor an expert in human behaviour, but the news that Jürgen made this decision in November and has been able to 100% hide any outward sign of having made it, is remarkable. The discipline needed to keep it completely secret, and for such important news to not manifest itself...especially to the players, who are both physically close, and emotionally even closer, is monumental. The second thing concerns the fact that all the coaching staff are to leave. When was that decision made?...if November, could that many of them not only keep schtum but also not give off any outward sign of what they knew.( You could argue they all gave off the vibe that everything was rosy and that they were fully committed long term to the club )
      Again, I'm no one, and I take Jürgen by his word, and I'm certainly not trying to ignite any suggestion of anything nefarious.

It's just a tad odd, that there there were no signs of it....given the scale etc....perhaps there were signs and we just didn't see them.

Like everyone else I'm still gutted.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #366: Jan 30, 2024 03:04:24 am
      Does anybody remember a few years back when Klopp said he might take a leave of absence if needed then return refreshed? He said it in an interview a few years ago but I can't find it anywhere online.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #367: Jan 30, 2024 03:31:31 am
      Lots of musings about the 'true' reason Klopp has decided go..

I've thought long and hard and it's most likely that he was told that we are 100% signing Mbappe in the Summer, so he wants out now. You heard it here first.  :f_tongueincheek:

IMO if there is a player JK would regret cannot sign for LFC it is Jude Bellingham.

Quick Reply