Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Managerial Shortlist

Read 69955 times
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 159 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #1357: Apr 24, 2024 11:55:47 am

Got to admit I’d never heard of this fella before, but then I’m not a avid follower of Dutch football so I wouldn’t, if indeed we are as a club interested in his services then I’m sure due diligence would have been spent sounding the fella out,
      Does this then mean we have given up on Amorim or are we looking at other options as a alternative, I’ve been thinking about who could come in as a short term solution rather than say a five year gamble, lots of names being banded about like that cnut Mourinho, that kind of high end manager, and I came up with Bielsa, off the top of my head, he’s quality, knows the game inside out and back to front, plays a attacking style of football and certainly ticks a few boxes,
      Would/could he be a good short term solution, say for a couple of seasons, steady the ship and get us in shape, not many out there with his experience and knowledge is there ??

Thoughts ??

YNWA

Because  Amorim  plays 3-4-3 and our squad haven't got the players to play that formation. So they decided to go for someone who plays 433
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,267 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1358: Apr 24, 2024 11:56:23 am
      He must have balls of steel. If he's up for it bring it on!

Exactly and hopefully people will get behind

It’s a shame the social media fanbase have written him off already
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1359: Apr 24, 2024 12:02:50 pm
      Because  Amorim  plays 3-4-3 and our squad haven't got the players to play that formation. So they decided to go for someone who plays 433

Could just give it to pep so
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,267 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1360: Apr 24, 2024 12:02:54 pm
      Stop lying you didn't even know who he was. I legit never seen you suggest his name, at least have some decency to being honest.

From 4 days ago before it all blew up

Arnie Slot wouldn’t be a bad choice at all - very much in the mould of Amorin and has done very well with Feyenoord including doing well in Europe

There is no footballing reason for Gerrard to even been anywhere near any discussions about the job

He is not good enough as a manager
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,739 posts | 159 
      Reply #1361: Apr 24, 2024 12:03:38 pm
      Exactly and hopefully people will get behind

It’s a shame the social media fanbase have written him off already

They haven't written him off. They are underwhelmed, we are losing one of the best managers on the planet that challenges for the league  and replacing him with someone unknown so people have the right to be worried about the future where both Arsenal and City look world class and exciting.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,267 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1362: Apr 24, 2024 12:12:25 pm
      They haven't written him off. They are underwhelmed, we are losing one of the best managers on the planet that challenges for the league  and replacing him with someone unknown so people have the right to be worried about the future where both Arsenal and City look world class and exciting.

They have written him off already just like you are

There is not a raft of top class managers sitting there waiting to be snapped up

The club were always going to need to look at a young up and coming manager

Slot is someone who has won trophies and also took his unfancied team to a European final

Whoever took over from Klopp was always going to be a risk

We have in the past lost bigger managers than Klopp and moved on and we will do again

Slot could just as much through time prove to be a great choice
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,760 posts | 863 
      Reply #1363: Apr 24, 2024 12:14:06 pm
      The choices are limited. The managers market isn't exactly overflowing. Add to this the fact that we are a club who doesn't simply go for the biggest name available as we have a style of football and an analytics based approach and this gives you an even smaller pool of candidates.

I'd much rather we make our research and sign somebody relatively unknown like him because he fits all the criteria than just go and sign whoever is the big name available. One approach is based in logic and data while the other is just a recipe to create a revolving managerial door type of situation at the club and guess what...you'll be much less happy about that than hiring someone you did not hear of.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,525 posts | 2874 
      Reply #1364: Apr 24, 2024 12:15:51 pm

Arteta was a nobody when he got the Arsenal job!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,154 posts | 2149 
      Reply #1365: Apr 24, 2024 12:18:17 pm
      Says a lot about the man to want to take on the challenge after Klopp

Indeed.

It's a left field choice but the reality is, we were always going to have to go left field after Jürgen. And Slot seems to fit the bill - his relative unknownness gives space to fill in without our prejudices. Almost quite Houllier like.

With the rest, I feel it was a case of 'the more you know the less you feel' especially with people like De Zerbi who strikes me as an utter charlatan who got lucky.

Those criticising the appointment / being 'underwhelmed'...well what the F**k were you expecting following Jürgen? Jesus Christ himself to come down from heaven and make himself available? Because that's the only option that could be considered the equal of Jürgen. As we all know Alonso ruled himself out so that left the field open. Take a punt on someone who has shown great promise in his homeland and is willing to work with the structure at Liverpool - let's go Arne.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Ian Callaghan
      • Started Topic

• 876 posts | 146 
      Reply #1366: Apr 24, 2024 12:19:41 pm
      Balls of Steel: the Slot Machine

Welkom bij Liverpool FC Arnie...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,267 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1367: Apr 24, 2024 12:31:11 pm

What did Arteta do before Arsenal ?

https://x.com/anfieldsector/status/1782784169795277059?s=46&t=_4uI6CiVRqge8WqM7F37Iw

Barce and Munich interested in him as well

That’s a dynamic that you used yesterday to highlight someone’s level
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1368: Apr 24, 2024 12:35:39 pm
      Hope he slots in and isnt Arnie pie in the sky
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #1369: Apr 24, 2024 12:48:24 pm
      Moving fast now.

Talks between Feyenoord and Liverpool have commenced
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,267 posts | 3503 
      Millsy75
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 338 posts | 49 
      Reply #1371: Apr 24, 2024 12:57:27 pm
      If hes got the balls to take it after klopp then thats somewhere to start with this fella,get behind him.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,615 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1372: Apr 24, 2024 01:17:17 pm
      Happy enough with this guy. If it pans out. Football style etc. seems to fit. Which is main thing.
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,947 posts | 453 
      Reply #1373: Apr 24, 2024 01:23:15 pm
      Massive gamble. No one knows who he is, could be good and he could be a disaster there is no inbetween.

Could also finish 3rd or 4th and have a cup run. So there will be an inbetween. In fact we are in between as a club right now as it stands anyway.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1374: Apr 24, 2024 01:25:49 pm
      It's to be expected that supporters will question the next manager after seeing what Klopp did for us. Anyone unable to accept that is being unreasonable.

For me, I don't know how I feel. On one hand, the rational side thinks, for all we know he might be more successful than Klopp. On the other, the irrational side thinks, that's probably unrealistic.

After all, Klopp did what he did, on a shoestring:

/ramble off
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,244 posts | 851 
      Reply #1375: Apr 24, 2024 01:26:09 pm
      looks like it's going to be Arne Slot.
      glennusmc

• 5,837 posts | 477 
      Reply #1376: Apr 24, 2024 01:31:46 pm
      Let’s give this man, possibly our new manager, our support.

Klopp will be a LFC legend, let’s make sure his predecessor gets a welcome to the greatest club in England.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,267 posts | 3503 
      Reply #1377: Apr 24, 2024 01:32:56 pm
      It's to be expected that supporters will question the next manager after seeing what Klopp did for us. Anyone unable to accept that is being unreasonable.

For me, I don't know how I feel. On one hand, the rational side thinks, for all we know he might be more successful than Klopp. On the other, the irrational side thinks, that's probably unrealistic.

After all, Klopp did what he did, on a shoestring:

/ramble off

It shows how modern football is now when a club spends £800mil plus and it’s classed as shoestring

Klopp has spent a fair amount breaking transfer records along the way

It’s not like we have been paupers

Klopp is 4th in terms of the highest spending managers in Prem history

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #1378: Apr 24, 2024 01:39:05 pm
      It shows how modern football is now when a club spends £800mil plus and it’s classed as shoestring

Klopp has spent a fair amount breaking transfer records along the way

It’s not like we have been paupers

Klopp is 4th in terms of the highest spending managers in Prem history
      Net spend is £420m, and I'm in my mid 50s; I don't do "modern" football. But you're right, the bar is so high, it's obscene.
      Harrisimo

• 8,456 posts | 1442 
      Reply #1379: Apr 24, 2024 01:41:52 pm
      I would've prejudged no matter who they selected, and I won't prejudged Slot. My preference was for Tuchel but that's done with. I will support Slot obviously. Massive job and the squad needs a bit of work.

Quick Reply