Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Managerial Shortlist

Read 57426 times
      paulow63, LondonRed83 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #1403: Apr 24, 2024 05:05:40 pm
      Any fear here were hoping to appoint a Klopp 2.0? That wont ever work.....hope the man has a lot of similar traits but brings some fresh ideas and tactics with him
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,490 posts | 220 
      Reply #1404: Apr 24, 2024 05:09:21 pm

Explain to us why you think our current squad couldn’t adapt to that system, or indeed that Amorim couldn’t adjust his 3-4-3 into a 4-4-3 with the players he may inherit, I honestly think you take extreme pleasure in continuously talking sh*te, are you sponsored by Andrex or something, jeez, yer arse must getting jealous of all that sh*te pouring out of yer face !!!

I don’t think our current squad can adapt to that formation and it should be obvious to see surely ?

But with a couple of signings we could adapt to 3-4-3 but not sure if it suits our team to a certain extent

We would need a couple of more cb but they would need to be good on the ball. We also need flying wing backs and 2 for each position. Trent doesn’t seem like that sort of full back but I’m sure he could adapt. Think back to Chelsea when they were a 3-4-3 under their old manager. They collapsed when full backs were injured as the system is so dependant on them

Ultimately our squad is conditioned to play a certain way and as in any management world, you don’t fix what’s not broken. I would hope the new manager would not change too much, maybe our defensive structure when we don’t have the ball at times and a couple of personal up top imo
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,617 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1405: Apr 24, 2024 05:19:55 pm
      They will certainly need to get the transfer strategy spot on because I can’t remember many players transitioning successfully from the Dutch league to the EPL for the big clubs. One if the reasons I liked Amorim is that he would have numerous players that he likes and has coached against in Portugal. It’s become a bit of a hot bed for talent in recent years. By comparison the Ereverdisie has fallen further and further behind imo. Sorry to be a downer and I’m sure I’ll get my head round it but I am utterly underwhelmed by this appointment/borderline depressed
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1406: Apr 24, 2024 05:32:41 pm
      I believe that the club have done their research and I will welcome Slot with open arms once he's ours.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1407: Apr 24, 2024 05:34:40 pm
      They will certainly need to get the transfer strategy spot on because I can’t remember many players transitioning successfully from the Dutch league to the EPL for the big clubs. One if the reasons I liked Amorim is that he would have numerous players that he likes and has coached against in Portugal. It’s become a bit of a hot bed for talent in recent years. By comparison the Ereverdisie has fallen further and further behind imo. Sorry to be a downer and I’m sure I’ll get my head round it but I am utterly underwhelmed by this appointment/borderline depressed

I don't know that we are going to be necessarily looking at Dutch players. Also, doesn't really matter what players Amorim liked....all signs point to the transfers likely being handled by Hughes and Edwards. Doubt the new manager will have much input to be honest. That's one of the reasons that Edwards left the first time supposedly....Klopp wanted more transfer input and Edwards didn't like it.
      Harrisimo

• 8,297 posts | 1403 
      Reply #1408: Apr 24, 2024 05:37:08 pm
      People get bored easily.

There was a time when new recruitees got a season before the judging really came out, over the years that time frame has slowly worn down......6 months......10 games......2 games.....before they've taken 1 training session.

It's only a matter of time before we start judging a few years in advance. Yeah that James Milner bloke will never be good enough for LFC......takes everything far too seriously, he'd be better off as a fitness instructor.

Yeah, rush to judgement isn't it. Got to give him the benny at the very least. But yes he'll have to prove himself quickly.They'll be calling him Roy MK11 after the first draw.

Little bit of the YNWA mentality wouldn't go amiss to be fair. Sure Arnie knows the score though, he's not coming here to learn his craft. He'll have to be very thick skinned. Klopp was able to understand the mentality of the City, the humour, the desire to prove people wrong. Strong local identity waffle. But it's all part of LFC. The club, the people, the City, it's all there for him.Lets hope he's up to it.
      Scottbot

• 9,617 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1409: Apr 24, 2024 05:48:19 pm
      I don't know that we are going to be necessarily looking at Dutch players. Also, doesn't really matter what players Amorim liked....all signs point to the transfers likely being handled by Hughes and Edwards. Doubt the new manager will have much input to be honest. That's one of the reasons that Edwards left the first time supposedly....Klopp wanted more transfer input and Edwards didn't like it.

The manager has to have say mate, but I think and hope that we wouldn’t be looking to the Dutch league for recruitment because it’s a poor league.

But that’s the thing, I think everyone in here would agree it’s a poor league?

So bringing your next manager (and hoping to maintain the excellent standards set by Klopp) from ‘said’ poor league doesn’t strike me as the best idea. Now people are already saying give him a crack and make a judgement after a season etc but I can remember hearing plenty of similar things when we signed Roy Hodgson despite it being (clearly) an absolute whopper of an appointment. I’m not saying this is the same but feck me, it isn’t the least bit exciting to me.

It’s just finally hit me like PTSD that Klopp is going and he’s being replaced by the Feyenoord manager.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,253 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1410: Apr 24, 2024 05:57:43 pm
      Seems strange how quickly this appears to be happening, will get our full support, just hope he’s not another Roy Hogeson, FSG already skinflinting on the compo according to the BBC
      Harrisimo

• 8,297 posts | 1403 
      Reply #1411: Apr 24, 2024 06:01:48 pm
      Obviously we've had Dutch players here and have 4 I think, on the books now. Don't think Arnie is going to bag off 3/4 of his squad and put them straight in over here.  He'll probably look at some of the top players over there and might recommend one that is the man, or will be the man in a few years time.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1412: Apr 24, 2024 06:05:01 pm
      Alonso plays with three CBs at Leverkusen and I don’t think anyone really thought that would be a problem. I don’t think system has anything to do with it. They obviously like Slot for a few reasons.

Personally I think it’s a massive risk and I’m unhappy about the appointment (which surely it will be within the next 48 hours)

I think we may be looking at some serious turnover in this squad. My worry is that some of the bigger hitters (VVD, Alisson, Trent) may also feel underwhelmed and perhaps draw a line in the sand on their LFC futures

What sort of manager would satisfy those players that’s available ?

And the players are there to play for the club not the manager

VVD may well be excited to see a Dutch manager coming in

Biscanator
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 62 
      Reply #1413: Apr 24, 2024 06:07:12 pm
      The manager has to have say mate, but I think and hope that we wouldn’t be looking to the Dutch league for recruitment because it’s a poor league.

So bringing your next manager (and hoping to maintain the excellent standards set by Klopp) from ‘said’ poor league doesn’t strike me as the best idea. Now people are already saying give him a crack and make a judgement after a season etc but I can remember hearing plenty of similar things when we signed Roy Hodgson despite it being (clearly) an absolute whopper of an appointment. I’m not saying this is the same but feck me, it isn’t the least bit exciting to me.

It’s just finally hit me like PTSD that Klopp is going and he’s being replaced by the Feyenoord manager.

You play the hand you've got irrespective of the league you manage in, so who would excite you? And from which league would be acceptable for you?

Reason Slot and Alonso are doing well in their leagues is because their leagues are pants yep Bayern aside who are a basket case not much of a budget to work from and you have to be a manager not just a tick box buy yourself out of trouble coach.

What about the Italian or Spanish leagues who would you take from.them? And why ?

Fact is United have struggled since Fergie left as they went for big names instead of decent coach and are so messed up they need years to get back.Seems to me we are talent hunting on and off the pitch so I will back whoever the club give the reins to even though he looks like he has won multiple darts titles ;D

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1414: Apr 24, 2024 06:08:07 pm

Suarez came from the Dutch league

Then add in the likes of

Van Persie
      Van Nistelrooy
      Kuyt
      Robben
      Stam

Gini

The list is endless
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1415: Apr 24, 2024 06:12:22 pm

The same Feyenoord manager that took a team from 5th to win the league , and also took a Dutch team to a first European final since the 90’s

This is a manager who is building his career and right now there isn’t a huge depth of established top class managers waiting to jump

It could well prove to be a masterstroke - he comes in with new energy , new ideas , looks to play and attacking brand but high press

Need to look past what league or team he was in

This is the man that only had Covid stopping his AZ team beating a strong Ajax team to winning the league
      Scottbot

• 9,617 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1416: Apr 24, 2024 06:36:46 pm
      The same Feyenoord manager that took a team from 5th to win the league , and also took a Dutch team to a first European final since the 90’s

This is a manager who is building his career and right now there isn’t a huge depth of established top class managers waiting to jump

It could well prove to be a masterstroke - he comes in with new energy , new ideas , looks to play and attacking brand but high press

Need to look past what league or team he was in

This is the man that only had Covid stopping his AZ team beating a strong Ajax team to winning the league

Dude, you would be talking up the positives whoever the club decided to bring in. I’m not knocking that, that’s in your nature to do that.

This guy might work out and I’ll happily eat a great big slice of humble pie. And if we’d signed him 10 years ago (with the same credentials) I probably would have been more positive. But the difference in the club since Klopp came in has been incredible. Three champions league finals in the last 6 years, a league title, twice runner up by a point, 3 domestic cups. The profile of the club is way way higher than it was. I know we will always have the history but people and players around the world think of LFC as one of the top 5-6 clubs in world football on his watch.

I honestly hadn’t even heard of Slot until a couple of days ago. Maybe that makes me ignorant or perhaps it’s a reflection of a league whose standards have fallen in recent years. You say the players will play for whoever the club appoints but profile matters to players. Particularly in the off season and other offers are coming in or if (like Trent) they only have a year to run in their deal.

As for achievements. Yes, taking a team from 5th to 1st is impressive but let’s not overlook the state of Ajax. They have been in turmoil. And I know he took Feyenoord to a European final but again, it’s a weak competition. Let’s not overplay it. West Ham just won the thing. It’s the Ereverdisie of European Cup competitions.
      Scottbot

• 9,617 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1417: Apr 24, 2024 06:49:39 pm
      You play the hand you've got irrespective of the league you manage in, so who would excite you? And from which league would be acceptable for you?

Reason Slot and Alonso are doing well in their leagues is because their leagues are pants yep Bayern aside who are a basket case not much of a budget to work from and you have to be a manager not just a tick box buy yourself out of trouble coach.

What about the Italian or Spanish leagues who would you take from.them? And why ?

Fact is United have struggled since Fergie left as they went for big names instead of decent coach and are so messed up they need years to get back.Seems to me we are talent hunting on and off the pitch so I will back whoever the club give the reins to even though he looks like he has won multiple darts titles ;D

Excited wasn’t the word I’d use but I would have been happy with Amorim. He should win his 2nd Primera League title in the coming weeks and for Sporting to break the Porto-Benfica dominance was an impressive achievement imho. I also like the talented players that have been coming out of Portugal in the last 7-8 years, I felt his background could have helped us recruit a few gems along the way.

Regards your point on the Bundesliga and Alonso. Winning the league and breaking the Bayern (Dortmund) dominance this season with a side who have never won a league title was pretty extraordinary. He’ll probably double up with the Europa league along the way. If only the club had officially approached Leverkusen 8 weeks ago they might (just speculating here) have had a shot at recruiting him.

As for other candidates I would have liked. Tbh I was all in on Xabi and was gutted to see him rule it out. I have always liked Nagelsman but his Euro commitments would have made it a challenging appointment. I do quite like Emery but wouldn’t say he excited me, I would have preferred him to Slot though.

Hopefully I’m completely wrong and people can quote me and call me a tw*t. But right now I’m depressed. But I think it’s a culmination of our season hitting the rocks and the realisation that Klopp is going all landing at once.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1418: Apr 24, 2024 06:57:15 pm
      Excited wasn’t the word I’d use but I would have been happy with Amorim. He should win his 2nd Primera League title in the coming weeks and for Sporting to break the Porto-Benfica dominance was an impressive achievement imho. I also like the talented players that have been coming out of Portugal in the last 7-8 years, I felt his background could have helped us recruit a few gems along the way.

Regards your point on the Bundesliga and Alonso. Winning the league and breaking the Bayern (Dortmund) dominance this season with a side who have never won a league title was pretty extraordinary. He’ll probably double up with the Europa league along the way. If only the club had officially approached Leverkusen 8 weeks ago they might (just speculating here) have had a shot at recruiting him.

As for other candidates I would have liked. Tbh I was all in on Xabi and was gutted to see him rule it out. I have always liked Nagelsman but his Euro commitments would have made it a challenging appointment. I do quite like Emery but wouldn’t say he excited me, I would have preferred him to Slot though.

Hopefully I’m completely wrong and people can quote me and call me a tw*t. But right now I’m depressed. But I think it’s a culmination of our season hitting the rocks and the realisation that Klopp is going all landing at once.

Heads up mate, we have an ass whipping to administer to the bitters here shortly....
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1419: Apr 24, 2024 07:01:29 pm
      Dude, you would be talking up the positives whoever the club decided to bring in. I’m not knocking that, that’s in your nature to do that.

This guy might work out and I’ll happily eat a great big slice of humble pie. And if we’d signed him 10 years ago (with the same credentials) I probably would have been more positive. But the difference in the club since Klopp came in has been incredible. Three champions league finals in the last 6 years, a league title, twice runner up by a point, 3 domestic cups. The profile of the club is way way higher than it was. I know we will always have the history but people and players around the world think of LFC as one of the top 5-6 clubs in world football on his watch.

I honestly hadn’t even heard of Slot until a couple of days ago. Maybe that makes me ignorant or perhaps it’s a reflection of a league whose standards have fallen in recent years. You say the players will play for whoever the club appoints but profile matters to players. Particularly in the off season and other offers are coming in or if (like Trent) they only have a year to run in their deal.

As for achievements. Yes, taking a team from 5th to 1st is impressive but let’s not overlook the state of Ajax. They have been in turmoil. And I know he took Feyenoord to a European final but again, it’s a weak competition. Let’s not overplay it. West Ham just won the thing. It’s the Ereverdisie of European Cup competitions.

Honestly go and read up about him , watch some of the videos anout him and the games they play

Even his work at AZ was very impressive and that was going against an Ajax team that just recently got to CL semis

He will surprise many , he appears to be a very astute manager and you can see why the club would be looking at him

To get a Feyenoord team beating both Ajax and PsV to the title ( double ) is as impressive as Amorim winning with Lisbon

It is a brave move from the club and it’s going to rely on Edwards providing the correct structure and it will take a bit of time but this could be like getting Klopp before he went to Dortmund
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1420: Apr 24, 2024 07:15:13 pm
      We can never replace Klopp and we should not. Slot needs to be himself and make a name for himself and ours.

The club looked at our team and chose a man with a style that our players can easily adapt rather rebuild.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,004 posts | 224 
      Reply #1421: Apr 24, 2024 07:23:05 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5011 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1422: Apr 24, 2024 07:26:57 pm
      We don't have F***ing center backs that play 3 atb.  All our center backs are injury prone bar VVD and the club would need to buy min 2 center backs. Plus VVD said he hated 3 atb and had a fall out with the Dutch manager.... but instead you choose to resort to insulting me.

Aw diddums, did I touch a nerve, VVD will adapt to any system, you tw*t, he’s world class, sick of fuckwits like you spouting yer sh*te on a daily basis, your not  Liverpool fan, can’t be with amount of derisory f***in bullshit you come out with, get back to yer play station or whatever it is you get yer stupid ideas from !!!

Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,343 posts | 779 
      Reply #1423: Apr 24, 2024 07:38:21 pm
      Most of us hadn't heard of this fella till yesterday....hence the nervous reaction. It's a massive gamble, but the club was stuck between a rock and a hard place looking for any obvious candidate...If it's Slot, most will give him the chance to prove himself....He's got a tough act to follow that's for sure.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,281 posts | 4938 
      Reply #1424: Apr 24, 2024 07:41:45 pm
      The manager has to have say mate,

He will mate but it'll be back to the style we had before. The Head Coach lets recruitment know what type of players he wants/needs to fit his systems and they go and get those type of players.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,351 posts | 6394 
      Reply #1425: Apr 24, 2024 07:47:48 pm

Not sure why I should care what Simon Jordan’s opinion is?

Quick Reply