Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 14th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W6 D4 L5

Managerial Shortlist

Read 60019 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,182 posts | 3476 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #759: Mar 29, 2024 04:15:30 pm

Alonso is currently managing a team at the top of one of the major leagues in European football unbeaten as well - Alonso is not on sentiment
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,302 posts | 4949 
      Reply #760: Mar 29, 2024 04:24:04 pm
      Alonso is currently managing a team at the top of one of the major leagues in European football unbeaten as well - Alonso is not on sentiment

Definitely an element of sentiment with those who wanted Alonso and discounted everyone else I think.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,403 posts | 793 
      Reply #761: Mar 29, 2024 04:25:38 pm
      Inzaghi is managing a team at the top of a major European league....So why was he not mentioned (to the same degree, if at all)?...Answer: The LFC connection= Sentiment....BTW nothing wrong with that...but that's what it was.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,182 posts | 3476 
      Reply #762: Mar 29, 2024 04:31:33 pm
      Definitely an element of sentiment with those who wanted Alonso and discounted everyone else I think.

There will always be some level of sentiment when looking at past players
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,302 posts | 4949 
      Reply #763: Mar 29, 2024 04:33:00 pm
      There will always be some level of sentiment when looking at past players

Of course but your saying Alonso is not on sentiment when in reality it is very much part of it
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,182 posts | 3476 
      Reply #764: Mar 29, 2024 04:33:22 pm
      Inzaghi is managing a team at the top of a major European league....So why was he not mentioned (to the same degree, if at all)?...Answer: The LFC connection= Sentiment....BTW nothing wrong with that...but that's what it was.

Some may have wanted Inzaghi , just like some have said Zidane etc

There could be a good number of managers in the frame

But the only reason why someone would want Gerrard is only on sentiment and because itā€™s Gerrard and what he did as a player whilst ignoring his managerial career
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,182 posts | 3476 
      Reply #765: Mar 29, 2024 04:33:56 pm
      Of course but your saying Alonso is not on sentiment when in reality it is very much part of it

Sorry was meant to say itā€™s not on sentiment alone when it comes to Alonso

Amorin for me looks very much the right fit for the job
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,524 posts | 223 
      Reply #766: Mar 29, 2024 04:51:02 pm
      I think whatā€™s important is to trust the process now that Edwards is back leading it. We know he leaves no stone unturned for perfection at times. Even though I think he gets way too much credit at times just because he got signings like Salah correct etc (for example if you look at clubs like Brighton, itā€™s fair to say they have done better with the buys imo)

I think a huge part of our success was more down to klopp being klopp rather than the back room team and we have seen the team doing so well despite Edwards leaving as an example

Now in saying that, I always kept quiet about alonso and even the Brighton manager because I just donā€™t see their styles suiting us with what our struggle is at the club

We play a mixed game but I would lean more towards direct at times to make quick transitions, I donā€™t understand why people would want managers who donā€™t play that way. Could they adapt to our players ? Yes but most likely they would want to re shape the dna of the team which could be painful before it gets better

I think getting a manager who resembles at times the style of football we currently play and the style of football our academy players is important imo

Before anyone asks, I literally have no fckn clue who that person is, for us but Iā€™m sure itā€™s a manager most of us donā€™t know barely anything about like the guy from Portugal which is also a big risk due to the lack of quality in their league btw

This is a huge huge moment for the club, remember when Ferguson left, great players like rvp dropped levels, we have to get this next appointment correct as we donā€™t want to be what United are now as a club
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,212 posts | 839 
      Reply #767: Mar 29, 2024 04:53:35 pm
      Letā€™s hope itā€™s not De Zerbi
      « Last Edit: Mar 29, 2024 07:57:30 pm by Arab Scouse »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,182 posts | 3476 
      Reply #768: Mar 29, 2024 05:01:28 pm
      Letā€™s hope not itā€™s De Zerbi

I donā€™t think it will be him , wouldnā€™t be a surprise if he went to Bayern and would do well there

Whilst I donā€™t think he suits us he has done well at Brighton

I think Amorin is a good fit , as also is Nagelsmann

Itā€™s a shame that Pep Lijnders gets a raw deal as he could be an outside bet

Slot at Feyenoord plays a very high pressing energy style as well

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,587 posts | 1502 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #769: Mar 29, 2024 05:10:50 pm
      I've kept quite out the loop on the manager talk becuase one, I don't want to accept Klopp is going and two, I don't know enough about managers to have a full opinion... I have said Xabi would be my number one but I think that was more nostalgia speaking... but I think maybe it could have been too soon for him anyway maybe, especially with his connection to our club, I think I'd rather him go to another big club first (Real), or stay longer in Germany, just to see how it goes, and if all goes well, get him later down the line, rather than him come here and crash and burn becuase it's too early for him...

Someone like Amorim looks very promising with the personality to do well here I think, but more important, has no past connection really to the club, so theres no added pressure in that sense from the start, but if it does go wrong, oh well, move on, wheras it would feel different with Xabi, it would hurt.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,716 posts | 3938 
      Reply #770: Mar 29, 2024 05:42:28 pm
      My expectations are low post Klopp so not too fussed who comes in.
      RedBelle
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 824 posts | 136 
      Reply #771: Mar 29, 2024 05:47:45 pm

If we're to have any hope of stemming the tide of players looking to flee the place when JĆ¼rgen leaves, we need someone that everyone in the squad respects.

Errrrrr players looking to flee???? Like who?
      And don't come back with the quote that Virg made in answer to a pathetic question about Klopp leaving and his reply was twisted by the gobshi!te media to imply he was going to jump ship at the first opportunity which simply wasn't what he said at all.
      There are contracts to be negotiated at the end of the season just like there are in every other season. Doesn't mean they're all packing their spotted hankies and heading for the f***ing hills!!
      And for the record, I loved StevieG but there's no way I want him as our manager right now!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,086 posts | 2114 
      Reply #772: Mar 29, 2024 05:48:41 pm
      Not going to happen but wouldn't Bielsa be fun? It might all end in tears, but it'd be fun.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,118 posts | 3370 
      Reply #773: Mar 29, 2024 06:01:41 pm
      F**k it la, get JĆ¼rgen's best mate in.

Dave Wagner from Norwich.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,622 posts | 2159 
      Reply #774: Mar 29, 2024 06:03:54 pm

Sure there was plenty of sentiment and a heavy dose of him being 10 points clear and on the brink of winning the zbundesliga. Without that I would not have been nearly as keen. He would have been perfect so Iā€™m pretty gutted. However, I donā€™t think the door is shut on this just yet. A CB lot can change in two months and the quotes I read werenā€™t a categoric ā€œnoā€.

I really donā€™t know who else though? De Zerbi feels like it would be a mistake. Emery is doing a fine job at Villa but was not good at Arsenal. I donā€™t know much about Amaurim. Pretty depressing really. I have always liked Nagelsman.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #775: Mar 29, 2024 06:16:02 pm

Depends on who is being discounted.

Of all the names mentioned Amorim is the only one that genuinely excites me. I'm dreading us being linked to De Zerbi and F***ing Southgate in the summer. Tuchel can F**k off as well.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,403 posts | 793 
      Reply #776: Mar 29, 2024 06:28:36 pm
      Depends on who is being discounted.

Of all the names mentioned Amorim is the only one that genuinely excites me. I'm dreading us being linked to De Zerbi and F***ing Southgate in the summer. Tuchel can F**k off as well.
      Lets face it there's no standout candidate.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,182 posts | 3476 
      Reply #777: Mar 29, 2024 06:32:36 pm

Amorin is the standout of the young up and coming managers right now
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,403 posts | 793 
      Reply #778: Mar 29, 2024 06:33:13 pm
      Sure there was plenty of sentiment and a heavy dose of him being 10 points clear and on the brink of winning the zbundesliga. Without that I would not have been nearly as keen. He would have been perfect so Iā€™m pretty gutted. However, I donā€™t think the door is shut on this just yet. A CB lot can change in two months and the quotes I read werenā€™t a categoric ā€œnoā€.

I really donā€™t know who else though? De Zerbi feels like it would be a mistake. Emery is doing a fine job at Villa but was not good at Arsenal. I donā€™t know much about Amaurim. Pretty depressing really. I have always liked Nagelsman.
      Your Emery, Arsenal/Villa point is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier....namely; he was judged to have failed at Arsenal, but was given another chance at Villa...in which he has seemingly excelled. Yet no one on here seems keen to give SG a second chance....odd.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,372 posts | 8621 
      Reply #779: Mar 29, 2024 06:34:04 pm

Hahaha that story that's just appeared on the official website might just start a rumour or two!!
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,403 posts | 793 
      Reply #780: Mar 29, 2024 06:35:11 pm
      Amorin is the standout of the young up and coming managers right now
      No; Alonso is the standout of the young and up and coming...but he doesn't want the job.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,182 posts | 3476 
      Reply #781: Mar 29, 2024 06:36:37 pm
      Your Emery, Arsenal/Villa point is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier....namely; he was judged to have failed at Arsenal, but was given another chance at Villa...in which he has seemingly excelled. Yet no one on here seems keen to give SG a second chance....odd.

Emery had a proven track record wining multiple Trophies in Europe and domestically , he also took Arsenal to a Europa Lge final - Gerrard took Villa to the relegation zone

Quick Reply