Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 8th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P20 W12 D4 L4

Managerial Shortlist

Read 58599 times
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 840 posts | 302 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #575: Mar 06, 2024 07:52:55 am
      Think this is going to run for quite a while yet before any announcement is made. If I was in Xabi's shoes I wouldn't want to be even thinking about an other club until the current campaign is secured, plus there's every chance of getting to the Europa League Final...(hopefuly to face us?)

My feeling is he'll come to us.....don't know why...it's just a feeling.

I also agree with this, I don't see any possibility that he will announce an intention to leave Bayer while they are competing for trophies. I think he will leave (probably come to us); if he wasn't leaving he could easily kill the rumours publicly and maybe sign a new contract.

Best case scenario for us is that Bayer lose in Europa league (maybe to us in a quarter final) and they have a decent lead in the league. He can announce his plan to leave Bayer in mid May and their last game in Bundesliga, at home on May 18th, can be a dead rubber where they can celebrate their league win.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 454 
      Reply #576: Mar 06, 2024 09:56:33 am
      Totally agree.  Winning the League with another team but Bayern is huge with the cushion he has it is an absolute massive platform.  It is a passport for basically any job in the game especially with the added bonus of Europa.   I think he will keep his options open whilst he has this comfortable points lead in the league. 

It seems there are so many clubs looking for Managers and if he delivers the title just think he becomes an Mbappe type of deal.  With everyone queuing up for his signature.   I can see us as the front runners in England like some have said Madrid could be the problem.  Or Bayern could be his easier option to the top.  But with Bayern like baldy Pep found out winning the League means very little as its a given and Champions League double is the main target which is easier said than done.   

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #577: Mar 06, 2024 01:15:17 pm
      Harrisimo

• 8,317 posts | 1405 
      Reply #578: Mar 06, 2024 06:10:00 pm
      Totally agree.  Winning the League with another team but Bayern is huge with the cushion he has it is an absolute massive platform.  It is a passport for basically any job in the game especially with the added bonus of Europa.   I think he will keep his options open whilst he has this comfortable points lead in the league. 

It seems there are so many clubs looking for Managers and if he delivers the title just think he becomes an Mbappe type of deal.  With everyone queuing up for his signature.   I can see us as the front runners in England like some have said Madrid could be the problem.  Or Bayern could be his easier option to the top.  But with Bayern like baldy Pep found out winning the League means very little as its a given and Champions League double is the main target which is easier said than done.

Very true.Could easily be half a dozen top club vying for his services. Even Man United might ditch Ten Bob if he finishes way off the top 4. Doubt he would leave Leverkusen for Bayern, as I said think he's above that. Different opting for another country.

All up in the air. We want him but we're not going down on bended knee.He knows what we're about. He knows coming here will be a serious challenge, a serious job. This is the coal face. Coming here, you're all in pal.
      « Last Edit: Mar 06, 2024 06:25:21 pm by Harrisimo »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,353 posts | 1634 
      Reply #579: Mar 06, 2024 06:46:41 pm
      Very true.Could easily be half a dozen top club vying for his services. Even Man United might ditch Ten Bob if he finishes way off the top 4. Doubt he would leave Leverkusen for Bayern, as I said think he's above that. Different opting for another country.

All up in the air. We want him but we're not going down on bended knee.He knows what we're about. He knows coming here will be a serious challenge, a serious job. This is the coal face. Coming here, you're all in pal.
      Haha this is the coal face be a fair few on here who won’t ever have heard that saying and definitely wont get it .
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,604 posts | 750 
      Reply #580: Mar 06, 2024 08:56:57 pm
      Very true.Could easily be half a dozen top club vying for his services. Even Man United might ditch Ten Bob if he finishes way off the top 4.

Him going to United does not seem very realistic. The 3 teams he's been rumored to go to he played for at least.

The real rivals for him would be Real and Bayern. Both seem incredibly toxic and give managers very little time. And one (pundits) suggesting that going Bayern, or Real, then coming to Liverpool after would make more sense for his career, don't have very good logic. Liverpool is far more stable and fans are more patient than any other club.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #581: Mar 06, 2024 10:23:32 pm

Because Alonso has already stated previously he has "unfinished business" here.

Basically he wants to win the league. He missed out as player in 09, he's won the league in Madrid and Munich!!
      Harrisimo

• 8,317 posts | 1405 
      Reply #582: Mar 06, 2024 10:36:09 pm
      Haha this is the coal face be a fair few on here who won’t ever have heard that saying and definitely wont get it .

Ten Bob....wouldn't give yer half a dollar...

Q. How much is half a dollar in ' £ old money' ?
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,375 posts | 783 
      Reply #583: Mar 06, 2024 10:40:08 pm
      Because Alonso has already stated previously he has "unfinished business" here.

Basically he wants to win the league. He missed out as player in 09, he's won the league in Madrid and Munich!!
      I wasn't aware of that quote. I hope he does come to us.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,375 posts | 783 
      Reply #584: Mar 06, 2024 10:43:09 pm
      Ten Bob....wouldn't give yer half a dollar...

Q. How much is half a dollar in ' £ old money' ?
      Half dollar was a slang term for the Half Crown...essentially two and six
      Harrisimo

• 8,317 posts | 1405 
      Reply #585: Mar 06, 2024 10:52:51 pm
      Half dollar was a slang term for the Half Crown...essentially two and six

I knew you'd know. Yeah I used to prefer half a crown. Ten Bob..a brown one..a tanner.... a joey. Used to love checking the dates on pennies, sometimes yer couldn't even make out the date.

70p for a Mars bar....FFS..that's 14 bob...daylight robbery..
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,958 posts | 5013 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #586: Mar 06, 2024 11:53:37 pm
      I just can’t for the life of me believe that Xabi would choose Bayern Muchen over Liverpool FC, in the grand scheme of things he’s performed a minor miracle at Bayer Leverkusen, loitering around the arse end of the Bundesliga when he took over, to now sitting atop with everyone else staring up der Arsch !!

He has built a side that plays a similar style to that of Jürgen albeit with a slight tweak, preferring a back three to Jürgen’s back 4, perhaps his preference works better in the Bundesliga who knows but, there’s no denying he has ticked every box in the book and suits Liverpool more than Bayern, I also cannot believe that what he has built at Leverkusen and the football he has indoctrinated, he would just give it all up and shift to the club he has just dethroned, imagine the hatred directed his way from Leverkusen,

Xabi doesn’t come across to me that he’d be that disrespectful, however, if a former club he played for, and had probably his best playing days with, came in and requested his services, that is a completely different kettle of Jobbies, it is almost certain he will win Leverkusen the Bundesliga title, a title even in their wildest dreams they didn’t think would happen so long as BM and occasionally perhaps BvB were in town,

It has been stated that Xabi has indeed unfinished business in Liverpool and Anfield in particular as HR has alluded to, and furthermore since he has won the Bundesliga as it seems he has, well that ship is about to sail and perhaps his next voyage is in the best ocean of them all the English Premier League, and as Captain of the Greatest Ship of them all, Liverpool Football Club!!

YNWA

rossyred

• 9,303 posts | 1668 
      Reply #587: Mar 07, 2024 08:31:55 am
      Not having a. Sporting structure above him doesn't help. 50/50 for me.if he comes wouldn't surprise me either way . He has so much time in front of him and following Klopp no easy feat
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,263 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #588: Mar 07, 2024 04:20:05 pm
      The biggest problem I can see for whoever follows Klopp is that, how do you follow Klopp
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,105 posts | 2738 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #589: Mar 07, 2024 05:11:10 pm
      The biggest problem I can see for whoever follows Klopp is that, how do you follow Klopp

You don’t.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #590: Mar 07, 2024 06:04:20 pm

Well someone who has played for the club and had a pretty good connection with the fans is gonna have a head start on anyone coming in who doesn't have a connection with the club.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #591: Mar 07, 2024 06:04:43 pm
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,872 posts | 704 
      Reply #592: Mar 07, 2024 08:20:12 pm
      Quote from Tayls
      I honestly don't see the scenario where Xabi goes to Bayern instead of us. If, as seems very likely, he wins the league with the underdog Leverkusen, why would he go somewhere like Bayern where he can only succeed by winning the same league (but with a strong favourite this time) AND do well in the CL. I just don't see it as a progression for him personally and could only see it happening if he had no other offers. Even then I think he'd stay at Leverkusen. Why not run it back one time in the league and take a huge underdog as far as possible in the CL?

One thing is clear about Xabi and his burgeoning managerial career: he is particular about what jobs he chooses. I think (hope) he ends up with us but there's a scenario I can envision where he stays at Leverkusen. Going to Bayern seems the most unlikely outcome, in my opinion.

The fact is there's only one man, who would crawl over broken glass to do the job. And even though he already has a league title in his pocket, nobody wants him. Hence why he's marooned in a Saudi desert atm.

The rest don't want to be the next one after Jürgen, and having to explain themselves when it doesn't work out. Following Jürgen is supposed to be an impossible job.

As for the Bundesliga being a one team league, that is usually true. Just as it has been in our league for 5 of the past 6 seasons.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,604 posts | 750 
      Reply #593: Mar 07, 2024 09:41:39 pm
      Brighton lost again. I wonder if DeZerbi is 'distracted' by something?   :f_tongueincheek:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,331 posts | 8605 
      Reply #594: Mar 07, 2024 11:15:13 pm
      Brighton lost again. I wonder if DeZerbi is 'distracted' by something?   :f_tongueincheek:

Was it banner in the Roma end saying "The Queen Gave Blow Jobs"
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 765 posts | 128 
      Reply #595: Mar 08, 2024 07:14:00 pm
      Harry Redknapp: “I’m going to say somebody and people are going to think that I’m off my head, but I would give it to Steven Gerrard."

Oh dear Harry.... Blasting off on the glue before that interview I see  :lmao:
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,375 posts | 783 
      Reply #596: Mar 08, 2024 07:53:32 pm
      Harry Redknapp: “I’m going to say somebody and people are going to think that I’m off my head, but I would give it to Steven Gerrard."

Oh dear Harry.... Blasting off on the glue before that interview I see  :lmao:
      No Substance abuse around here...but I'd have SG high on the list.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 765 posts | 128 
      Reply #597: Mar 08, 2024 08:33:27 pm
      No Substance abuse around here...but I'd have SG high on the list.
      UHU, I see what you did there....

Quick Reply