Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 17th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W7 D4 L3

Managerial Shortlist

Read 60829 times
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 787 posts | 133 
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #920: Apr 08, 2024 11:06:50 am
      From another LFC forum....

Today 09:56 AM
      A friend with a reliable source inside the club has told me the Amorim deal to be our next manager is now confirmed.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,220 posts | 841 
      Reply #921: Apr 08, 2024 02:30:50 pm

A friend with a reliable source inside the club has told me the Amorim deal to be our next manager is now confirmed.

His friend knows it from a friend who shops at the same store John Henry shops in Boston.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,403 posts | 6408 
      Reply #922: Apr 08, 2024 02:38:53 pm
      Some rumblings from that Portuguese journalist that broke the Nunez and Jota news that we are meeting him this week to iron out details but basically it's been agreed for him to join, although LFC have not approached Sporting yet which I found to be odd but I suppose if there is really a release clause, that part might not matter that much. 
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #923: Apr 08, 2024 03:54:38 pm
      It’s hardly cherry picking, giving prime examples of our most successful period in which none of the managers between 59-90 had the sort of records that would be looked at now.

And yes Jürgen had won the league in Germany before coming here. Three years before arriving. Weren’t Dortmund struggling towards the bottom of the table when he left? Again if we went with somebody like that now people would be fuming. Look at the grief Tuchel is getting, a fella who has two league titles to his name and a European Cup but is currently struggling.

So again, it’s getting the right person in regardless of their CV.

I think it has to be a balance of the two. Take someone like De Zerbi, i like what he has done at Brighton it's been really impressive and I also like their style of play BUT he hasn't won anything yet. Despite the previous examples of Shankly (and then obviously the boot room effect) I strongly believe that to manage a top club you need to have shown you can win trophies. So i'm hoping we get right person, right personaility AND a CV that shows they are a winner.

I'm really gutted Alonso was so hasty to stay he is staying put. I feel he would have been perfect having played for the club, clearly having an excellent temperament and then ticking the 'winner' box with an incredible championship winning season at Leverkusen.

I don't know much about Amorin but am encouraged to see that he has won the Primera League for the 1st time on 20 years with Sporting and is on the cusp of doing it again. Let's hopw he also has the personality and mental strength for a job as big as this one.

Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #924: Apr 08, 2024 03:55:44 pm
      Does anyone on the forum watch much Portugese football? Would be great to get some more insight into this fella.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,418 posts | 801 
      Reply #925: Apr 08, 2024 04:41:20 pm
      I think it has to be a balance of the two. Take someone like De Zerbi, i like what he has done at Brighton it's been really impressive and I also like their style of play BUT he hasn't won anything yet. Despite the previous examples of Shankly (and then obviously the boot room effect) I strongly believe that to manage a top club you need to have shown you can win trophies. So i'm hoping we get right person, right personaility AND a CV that shows they are a winner.

I'm really gutted Alonso was so hasty to stay he is staying put. I feel he would have been perfect having played for the club, clearly having an excellent temperament and then ticking the 'winner' box with an incredible championship winning season at Leverkusen.

I don't know much about Amorin but am encouraged to see that he has won the Primera League for the 1st time on 20 years with Sporting and is on the cusp of doing it again. Let's hopw he also has the personality and mental strength for a job as big as this one.
      There's the teeniest of contradictions in your otherwise very good comment. You say you strongly believe that to manage a top club you need to have won trophies. But Alonso (as a novice) hadn't won a thing as a manager before this season (still hasn't, though highly likely to), this invalidates your first point.
      I think most fans thought Xabi was coming here and there was a groundswell of disappointment when he decided to stay put. I know nothing of this Portuguese guy...the consensus is he's decent enough...We'll see.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,403 posts | 6408 
      Reply #926: Apr 08, 2024 04:41:37 pm
      Does anyone on the forum watch much Portugese football? Would be great to get some more insight into this fella.

Can't say that I do, but everything I've ready seems to point to him being the best mix of a coach that plays exciting football and one that should (may) mesh well with the supporters and the city.

Who knows though right?
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #927: Apr 08, 2024 05:55:44 pm
      There's the teeniest of contradictions in your otherwise very good comment. You say you strongly believe that to manage a top club you need to have won trophies. But Alonso (as a novice) hadn't won a thing as a manager before this season (still hasn't, though highly likely to), this invalidates your first point.
      I think most fans thought Xabi was coming here and there was a groundswell of disappointment when he decided to stay put. I know nothing of this Portuguese guy...the consensus is he's decent enough...We'll see.

I think it's fair to say that Leverkusen have been nailed on for the Bundesliga title for several weeks now, 5 weeks ago they held a 9-10 point lead which is now up to 13. IF it was a 3-5 point margin and it was in the balance my thoughts on Alonso would be less concrete. It's a real shame he is staying put.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,403 posts | 6408 
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,418 posts | 801 
      Reply #929: Apr 08, 2024 08:08:01 pm
      I think it's fair to say that Leverkusen have been nailed on for the Bundesliga title for several weeks now, 5 weeks ago they held a 9-10 point lead which is now up to 13. IF it was a 3-5 point margin and it was in the balance my thoughts on Alonso would be less concrete. It's a real shame he is staying put.
      I think perhaps you miss my point.  That being, Alonso has proved that he didn't need prior success to go on and be a success. Leverkusen took a gamble on him with no record at all and he's proven to be more than capable...hence loads of clubs wanting him.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,617 posts | 753 
      Reply #930: Apr 09, 2024 01:06:37 am
      Alonso showed lack of ambition if you ask me. Pep took over Barca with little experience and grabbed the opportunity by the scruff of the neck. What's Xabi scared of?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,174 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #931: Apr 09, 2024 01:54:50 am
      Alonso showed lack of ambition if you ask me. Pep took over Barca with little experience and grabbed the opportunity by the scruff of the neck. What's Xabi scared of?

It’s possible ( just a guess ) he may think he’s not ready for such a big job. Or! There’s only one way the club goes from when Klopp leaves, down hill?
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #932: Apr 09, 2024 07:14:47 am
      It’s possible ( just a guess ) he may think he’s not ready for such a big job. Or! There’s only one way the club goes from when Klopp leaves, down hill?

I bet you’re hoping for the latter 😬😬
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #933: Apr 09, 2024 08:18:28 am

Well I heard from my sister in laws baby sitting boyfriends uncle’s neighbour who is friends with JWH’s daughter’s first born’s in law’s second cousin to Kermit the frog and he has just heard that Amorim had been offered sh*t !!
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,916 posts | 437 
      Reply #934: Apr 09, 2024 08:43:32 am
      If we are growing tired of Jurgens basketball style of play and like me it causes heart palpitations, high blood pressure and severe migraines then it could be worth looking at Thiago Motta in Italy whos apparently developed a 2-7-2 formation.

Looking at it initially you'd be forgiven for thinking this should be a step above Jurgens efforts because he'll be playing with 12 men but when you look more closely it seems we would in fact be attacking the dugout rather than the goals and Alisson would be a flying winger.

https://twitter.com/17Reazy/status/1729880381678379126?t=EhXZI7yLin1U_QhQpqTjcA&s=19

Apparently United interested in him more than ourselves  :f_tongueincheek:
      « Last Edit: Apr 09, 2024 08:59:25 am by __Tickle__ »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,174 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #935: Apr 09, 2024 10:38:17 am
      I bet you’re hoping for the latter 😬😬

Doesn't matter if i think with my heart or head with this one Cocker, i love Klopp as many know on here. I just don't think he's replaceable. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #936: Apr 09, 2024 10:49:43 am
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #937: Apr 09, 2024 01:12:12 pm
      Doesn't matter if i think with my heart or head with this one Cocker, i love Klopp as many know on here. I just don't think he's replaceable. 

I know Keith , I was just teasing u 🤣🤣😎
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,916 posts | 437 
      Reply #938: Apr 09, 2024 01:13:34 pm
      Looks like it's Ruben.

Plays a 3-4-3
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,315 posts | 769 
      Reply #939: Apr 09, 2024 01:44:56 pm

You have never really replaced Alex Ferguson, if you are honest Keith. That is why United are so mediocre !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,033 posts | 3961 
      Reply #940: Apr 09, 2024 01:49:55 pm
      You have never really replaced Alex Ferguson, if you are honest Keith. That is why United are so mediocre !

What they said about Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish etc!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,174 posts | 2747 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #941: Apr 09, 2024 01:57:15 pm

100% David and I think Liverpool will have the same problem mate, they were cut out of the same mode those two. ❤️
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,315 posts | 769 
      Reply #942: Apr 09, 2024 02:00:24 pm
      Looks like it's Ruben.

Plays a 3-4-3

I am sure all Reds' fans will give Ruben, a fair chance, so to speak.

Quick Reply