Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Managerial Shortlist

Read 57198 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2845 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Managerial Shortlist
      Reply #1242: Apr 23, 2024 10:27:32 am
      Our Pep would have bern bigh on my list until recently. I just feel now a complege freshness would be better.

Trent made an interesting point recently where he said something along the lines of he knows where Jürgen wants him and when he wants him there, players are so use to the system...a new or tweaked systemwith fresh ideas from a new voice might set a spark under the lads
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,711 posts | 151 
      Reply #1243: Apr 23, 2024 10:30:06 am
      Xavi is burned out because of the media in Spain there is no way he'd move to a worse country when it comes to the media.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1244: Apr 23, 2024 10:30:47 am
      Xavi is burned out because of the media in Spain there is no way he'd move to a worse country when it comes to the media.

He isn’t burnt out - it’s an excuse for him because he knows that Barce are in sh*t and miles behind Madrid
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,711 posts | 151 
      Reply #1245: Apr 23, 2024 10:44:33 am
      He isn’t burnt out - it’s an excuse for him because he knows that Barce are in sh*t and miles behind Madrid

He still managed to compete against Madrid who have unlimited funds and won a league. Your argument could be easily used about the Premier league being a farmer league where City win the league pretty much every year.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,654 posts | 3922 
      Reply #1246: Apr 23, 2024 10:44:59 am
      Zidane isn't currently in a job.
      Neither is Conte
      Neither is Flick
      Tuchel is leaving his post in the summer.
      Simeone might want a change of scenery.
      Emery shouldn't be too difficult to convince, can't ignore his CV. He wins finals, he wins big games (City and Arsenal), he gets teams that shouldn't be near 4th, in 4th.
      Amorim broke the 2 decades of Porto/Benfica dominance and is now within reach of his 2nd title.
      Inzaghi who last night just won Serie A and got Inter to a CL final last season.
      Allegri possibly available too if rumours are to be believed that Juve are chasing Motta.

There's 9 for you.

They might not all tickle your fancy for 1 reason or another but when you talk solely about "success", then all of the above share this credential in common.

& what makes you think Xavi wouldn't come? More negative tripe from you. You should really ought to get a grip of yourself.

I’m excited, I would have any of those managers. It’s going to be tough to follow Klopp but life goes on.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,654 posts | 3922 
      Reply #1247: Apr 23, 2024 10:45:40 am

Liverpool have that Spanish connection, he would fit right in.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,049 posts | 2726 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1248: Apr 23, 2024 10:48:52 am
      Not to piss on anyone’s bubble but here’s a thought!

Understandably De Zerbi is a candidate for you lot. Has anyone wondered it might be more down to the recruitment of back room staff rather than the way De Zerbi plays that Brighton have done well for a small club?

#justsayin….
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1249: Apr 23, 2024 10:53:30 am
      He still managed to compete against Madrid who have unlimited funds and won a league. Your argument could be easily used about the Premier league being a farmer league where City win the league pretty much every year.

He ended up 13 points behind them in the first season , 11 points behind them right now

He did ok in the season they were poor and he has been poor in Europe
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,087 posts | 3445 
      Reply #1250: Apr 23, 2024 10:55:03 am
      Liverpool have that Spanish connection, he would fit right in.

Do they ? In what way is there a Spanish connection over any other country

We don’t really have many Spanish players etc
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,711 posts | 151 
      Reply #1251: Apr 23, 2024 11:05:31 am
      I thought people were bantering about Mourinho but some fans do really want him. Mourinho is the type of guy who'd openly go on a public interview and say Nunez is sh*t and not give a F**k. Maybe people like a villain manager but I feel like we are not that club who want managers like him in this club.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 880 posts | 172 
      Reply #1252: Apr 23, 2024 11:08:26 am
      I thought people were bantering about Mourinho but some fans do really want him. Mourinho is the type of guy who'd openly go on a public interview and say Nunez is sh*t and not give a F**k. Maybe people like a villain manager but I feel like we are not that club who want managers like him in this club.

It's funny how 95% of fans not wanting someone (100% with half a brain cell) can actually translate to "WOW OMG SOME FANS WANT JOSE, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. WHAT ARE WE THINKING, THIS IS THE END OF LFC AS WE KNOW IT!!!"
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2845 
      Reply #1253: Apr 23, 2024 11:09:49 am
      Unai Emsry is an interesting one

Doubts might linger from his Arsenal spell but his first season there he led them to a European final, which isnt very Arsenal....and if I remember rightly went half a season unbeaten and only collapsed in the final few games

He led Valencia to 2 or 3 third place finishes in la liga with zero cash

He led Seville to 3 Europa leages and then won it again with Villareal

Hard to argue with what hes done with Villa to.

Clearly a good manager...might he be a fit?

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,049 posts | 2726 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1254: Apr 23, 2024 11:12:16 am
      It's funny how 95% of fans not wanting someone (100% with half a brain cell) can actually translate to "WOW OMG SOME FANS WANT JOSE, I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. WHAT ARE WE THINKING, THIS IS THE END OF LFC AS WE KNOW IT!!!"

It won’t happen but I’d be laughing my fcuking head off he you lot went for him. 😂 It’s just the media doing what they do best.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,339 posts | 779 
      Reply #1255: Apr 23, 2024 11:15:41 am
      The way Nunez has shaped up over the last 3/4 weeks he wouldn't be far wrong. :)
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 880 posts | 172 
      Reply #1256: Apr 23, 2024 11:17:12 am
      Unai Emsry is an interesting one

Doubts might linger from his Arsenal spell but his first season there he led them to a European final, which isnt very Arsenal....and if I remember rightly went half a season unbeaten and only collapsed in the final few games

He led Valencia to 2 or 3 third place finishes in la liga with zero cash

He led Seville to 3 Europa leages and then won it again with Villareal

Hard to argue with what hes done with Villa to.

Clearly a good manager...might he be a fit?

He would've been my preferred choice but speaking of....

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1782713640308637976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1782713640308637976%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=
      redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | 14 
      Reply #1257: Apr 23, 2024 11:20:48 am
      Saw that an unreliable bag o sh!te source (the Metro) had reported Lille boss Paulo Fonseca has been contacted - hmm not sure who dreams these things up, must be a quiet news day
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,555 posts | 1669 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1258: Apr 23, 2024 11:48:13 am
      What about Ancelotti, he any plans to leave Madrid?
      Think at the time Jürgen came in, seemed to be between him and Carlo.
      I'd have been fine with either at the time, though Jürgen worked out OK :)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #1259: Apr 23, 2024 11:53:50 am
      I hope they don’t F**k this up. It would be a mistake to allow the season to end and then think you can confit this search where you interview all the candidates. Most of them will have moved or signed new deals by then. I’m worried LFC may get caught sitting on their hands.

I assumed that they would have spoken with Alonso when the Klopp news first broke. I think it’s clear they hadn’t. In fact, he came across as pissed off because of the speculation and media coverage despite no contact having been made. It sounded like it hastened his statement. I can’t help but think that if LFC had approached Bayer and Alonso in an official capacity it may have gone the other way. Don’t make the same mistake with Amorim.

I really don’t want to end up with the likes of De Zerbi or Thomas Frank. They can go to United.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 880 posts | 172 
      Reply #1260: Apr 23, 2024 12:01:34 pm
      Worst case scenario, we appoint some fool....it goes badly wrong for 3-4 months maybe out the EFL cup, we sack and start again.

Honestly I'm quite relaxed over it all, we're in good hands. An appointment takes a few days at most to make so we've still plenty of time before preparation of 24/25 really starts.

As long as it's not some dud like Rodgers, Moyes, Frank or Lampard or some washed up has been like Jose then I'm fine. De Zerbi has a good brand of football and done very well in back to back seasons with a side that's been hampered with losing their best players and injuries. They've recruited well under him and he's given quite a few youths a chance there so he'd probably be most prominent to carrying that trend here.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,654 posts | 3922 
      Reply #1261: Apr 23, 2024 12:09:56 pm
      Do they ? In what way is there a Spanish connection over any other country

We don’t really have many Spanish players etc

For that vibe after Rafa, some amazing Spanish and Spanish speaking players have played for us. There’s deffo a connection there, stop F***ing talking down everything I say.

You really are in a pissy mood today Lallana.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,654 posts | 3922 
      Reply #1262: Apr 23, 2024 12:10:51 pm
      What about Ancelotti, he any plans to leave Madrid?
      Think at the time Jürgen came in, seemed to be between him and Carlo.
      I'd have been fine with either at the time, though Jürgen worked out OK :)

He would be so good
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 112 
      Reply #1263: Apr 23, 2024 12:13:56 pm
      Not to piss on anyone’s bubble but here’s a thought!

Understandably De Zerbi is a candidate for you lot. Has anyone wondered it might be more down to the recruitment of back room staff rather than the way De Zerbi plays that Brighton have done well for a small club?

#justsayin….

According to the press your lot are after him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2845 
      Reply #1264: Apr 23, 2024 12:24:21 pm
      I dont care who we appoint so long as they

. Win the premier league in the first season

. Win the champions league in the first season

. Have no link to utd or chelsea

Quick Reply