Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Brighton?

Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Conor Bradley
      3 (4%)
      Caoimhin Kelleher
      0 (0%)
      Jarell Quansah
      1 (1.3%)
      Alexis Mac Allister
      59 (78.7%)
      Dominik Szoboszlai
      2 (2.7%)
      Wataru Endo
      1 (1.3%)
      Luis Diaz
      7 (9.3%)
      Darwin Núñez
      0 (0%)
      Mohamed Salah
      2 (2.7%)
      Cody Gakpo
      0 (0%)
      Ryan Gravenberch
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: Apr 04, 2024 03:58:17 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 5293 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,214 posts | 1104 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Brighton & Hove Albion: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Mar 31, 2024 05:38:26 pm
      Was a good game , made it tough for ourselves at times but a good win

Gary Mac in the middle was outstanding , must be one of the signings of the season

Diaz excellent again
      Been so high on Macca for a year or two, been so down on Diaz for about the same time. Both were great today. If Diaz plays like that each I'll happily eat my words. Like always, pressed hard, but eith the ball today he was purposeful.

When you win the midfield you can overcome poor showings like today. I think we have the perfect 3 in there atm. Damn shame Klopp is leaving now, because he has the midfield he's had with us.

Macca might be the most complete mid in the premiership, and that's saying a lot
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,044 posts | 537 
      Reply #392: Mar 31, 2024 05:46:12 pm
      Good performance today, especially second half. If Mo had his shootin boots on we'd have won by 3 or 4.

Mac easy MOTM  - so good in tight areas. Composure and vision.

They were getting in behind Bradley too much first half but we sorted it at half time and he had a good game in the end.

On De Zerbi - how come he never noticed that Gomez was coming into centre midfield all game and didn't target the space down our left? Maybe not that tactically sharp, didnt adjust his tactics to what was in front of him.

That ref should be reffing Sunday league football. No clue, just yellow carded every foul.

Anyway, that was a big win for us, and a good, mentally strong performance.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #393: Mar 31, 2024 05:51:46 pm
      Chalk another one off as we go back top of the League and the Anfield fortress is once again unbreached.

Sloppy start and poor game management at the end of the game but for the 80 odd minutes in between we were in complete control and got the result we deserved. It was the sort of game where I was never really worried they'd equalise because they didn't look much of a threat, especially second half, but the longer it went at 2-1 there's always a nagging doubt. Even more so when our entire back four was about 15 yards away from their box going into injury time. I know it's how we play but F**k me it doesn't the old ticker much good.

I don't even think the finishing our part was all that bad, we didn't have too many clear cut chances and the ones we did get we either scored or at the very least tested their keeper. A lot is being made of Mo's missed chances in particular but I'd of been surprised if he ended up with any more than two today - or maybe I wouldn't of because it's Mo. Probably should have done better with the one in the first half that he hit first time as a back pass and the one in the second when we broke from the corner. Other than that, the rest weren't exactly sitters.

Big win and ultimately in football, that's all that matters.

Brighton have certainly adopted the style of breathe on them and they fall over though. Lost count of how many times they went down with bare minimum contact (if any).

Kelleher - didn't have too many saves to make and couldn't of done anything with the goal. Fairly straightforward game for him.

Bradley - looked as if Brighton had identified our right side as the weak side early on and they got some joy down there in the first half but as the game wore on Conor performed as we've already come to expect. Won the ball back numerous times in either one on one situations or by his pressing and of course he's always a threat going forward.

Quansah - looked completely out of his depth in the first half in my opinion. Just looked like the occassion was too big for him. Second half though, he was back to the player who we've seen for most of this season and one who could save us a fortune in the centre half position. He was strong, quick and decisive - everything he wasn't in the first 45.

Van Dijk - Brighton didn't get too much change from the big man. Didn't steal too many headlines but put in a solid performance.

Gomez - thought he done alright in what is becoming his most likely position to get a game. But like a lot of the team, his game management at the end of the game was a bit questionable. I'd rather be a boring old-school style team of go to the corner flag and buy fouls, waste time, do whatever it takes to see it through. But that's not how we play so no point complaining, especially as we're top of the League.

Mac Allister - I questioned him a lot when he first arrived, I remember even before the season started saying he wasn't the sort of transfer who gets fans excited. But as his Liverpool career has gone on, he's blossomed into one hell of a vital cog in this Liverpool machine. I don't know if he wanted to prove a point against his old side but very early on he seemed to just take upon himself to be the man we were looking to to create something. Pass after pass was causing them trouble and of course it ends with a lovely assist for Mo's winner.

Endo - wasn't his best game but he didn't under perform either. A bit like Van Dijk, it was solid without having to being spectactular.

Szoboszlai - other than the run and pass for Mo's backpass in the first half and an Andy Robertson like pressing chase in the second half, it was fairly quiet from the Hungarian. Seems to be a lot less involved in games when he's playing on the left of the midfield three.

Salah - as I said at the top of the post, his misses are getting a lot of attention - solely because he's not supposed to miss and we're not used to him missing so many "chances". But the "chances" weren't glaring misses. They were half chances at best. And it's testamane to the man that we're expecting him to bury even half chances. Did get his goal though because he almost always scores at Anfield. Great bravery for the Diaz goal as well and a F***ing belting pass for the goal that got chalked off.

Nunez - one of his quieter games today and still caused them problems when he was involved. How the ball hits the keepers calf to prevent him from scoring is one of those things that only happens to Liverpool. Said it a few weeks ago when Robbo was brought off and instead of trunching slowly across the pitch, he just went off down the left flank - Nunez done the same today by going off behind the goal. I think we're the only club who actually play to the rules of the game even when we're winning.

Diaz - thought he was invisible for the first half and it's not very often I say that. But then he popped up with yet another really well taken goal. Scored more this season than his previous two years combined. Should have had a second but VAR decided his armpit hair was too long. F***ing love our Lucho la.

Elliott - done alright when he came on, plenty of energy about him. Gave Bradley a bit more cover as well. He may not like it and I guess that's a good thing but for now he is best suited to being a sub.

Gakpo - seems to get pelters no matter what. I like the fact he took one of those "good" yellow cards just to slow the game down a bit and prevent them breaking on us.

Gravenberch - good to see him back. Said it for a while now that we're gonna need all bodies available for the run in so important to get Grav back out there.

Overall, it's a win and one that puts us top. That'll do to Brighton up the day of all Liverpool fans. Or at least it should be.

Keep doing what we're doing Reds in the 9 games left so we can end a magical managerial reign with the biggest magical moment of the lot.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,363 posts | 1414 
      Reply #394: Mar 31, 2024 06:25:38 pm
      0-0 We're top by 2 pts. Good game though.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #395: Mar 31, 2024 06:35:11 pm

If it’s that tight the benefit of doubt should go to the attacker, the name of the game is scoring goals, we’re being denied that element of the game with tight offside decisions, lines shouldn’t come in to it, if you’re level your on for me, simple and effective!!

YNWA

That’s what the powers that be, introduced before var, but they seem to have overlooked their own directive now 🤷‍♂️

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2024 06:55:08 pm by GERNS »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #396: Mar 31, 2024 06:47:17 pm
      Arsenal giving it a go V City as all teams should.

I thought that apart from the occasional counter, they were playing for a draw.
      Which was weird considering the table 🤷‍♂️
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,717 posts | 3723 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #397: Mar 31, 2024 06:58:42 pm
      I thought that apart from the occasional counter, they were playing for a draw.
      Which was weird considering the table 🤷‍♂️

They were afraid that if they lose it is game over.

Alexis is starting to show the world, why he is a world champion. Ynwa
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,407 posts | 797 
      Reply #398: Mar 31, 2024 07:14:27 pm
      Its not just the lines, though, its the point at which the video is frozen (when thw ball is played). There has to be some margin for error there too, it must take about a tenth of a secobg to complete the contact that makes the pass. The ball is a blur.  Can they be that accurate it deciding the exact tenth of a sec the pass occurred?
      Its still a subjective decision, just with tighter tolerances.
      I’m having trouble tolerating that Diaz one today. Should have given him it to even up the Spuzz one!

Well done Reds, vital win. Can we please just have some 4 nils, though? Bit easier on the old ticker.
      It is almost impossible to correlate two separate actions taking place in different areas of the pitch at precisely the same time. If we take your tenth of a second as a rule, that equates to about 3 frames of film (at normal speed)...so what frame doe's the VAR operator pick?  As for the lines drawn...for a player to be in front of a defender by say 4/5 inches...or half a football boot. To work to these tolerances the line drawn would have to scaled down so thin as it wouldn't show up on a wide camera shot (the shots we see now). So what we get from VAR now is an exaggerated line, so we can see it, but it's not millimetre, or even centimetre accurate....and that's even allowing for guessing the correct frame the ball left the passers boot.  This is the only subjective element to it, picking the frame.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,400 posts | 6407 
      Reply #399: Mar 31, 2024 07:40:34 pm
      Good win against a tricky team. Mac stood out to me other than that thought everyone else played to standard but nothing sensational. Mostly just got the job done against a team of divers and kickers. Stopped counting how many times one of their players would leave a foot or an arm in after a challenge and completely disrupt our flow with Coote staring at the sun I guess. How we had more yellows than them is a F***ing mystery that may never be solved. Saw a couple of their players waving for cards too which I thought was supposed to be an automatic yellow? F**k the refs and F**k Brighton, that was a very satisfying win.

Also where the F**k did 6 minutes of added time come from. That was an absolute joke.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,718 posts | 3941 
      Reply #400: Mar 31, 2024 08:07:46 pm
      Some really tough fixtures coming up but I think we create so many chances at the moment that we always have a chance
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,662 posts | 490 
      Reply #401: Mar 31, 2024 08:08:50 pm
      Good win against a tricky team. Mac stood out to me other than that thought everyone else played to standard but nothing sensational. Mostly just got the job done against a team of divers and kickers. Stopped counting how many times one of their players would leave a foot or an arm in after a challenge and completely disrupt our flow with Coote staring at the sun I guess. How we had more yellows than them is a F***ing mystery that may never be solved. Saw a couple of their players waving for cards too which I thought was supposed to be an automatic yellow? F**k the refs and F**k Brighton, that was a very satisfying win.

Also where the F**k did 6 minutes of added time come from. That was an absolute joke.

I think they spent around 2 minutes checking the offside, rest 4 min is the standard IMO,.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #402: Mar 31, 2024 08:14:35 pm
      Some really tough fixtures coming up but I think we create so many chances at the moment that we always have a chance

Yes especially with Jota coming back there’s going to be more conversions.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,277 posts | 930 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #403: Mar 31, 2024 08:44:22 pm
      Bit nervous at the beginning ( why oh why do we give early goals away ) but should have had daylight between us. Some good performances from Bradly and Mac VVD was his usual self, Nunez didn’t look fit, but onwards
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,363 posts | 1414 
      Reply #404: Mar 31, 2024 11:25:29 pm
      Just seems to be every game teams get so much space down our right side.Yes mostly because we play a high line. Trent coming inside as well. Bradley is an attacking full back, runs more with the ball than Trent. But how many times did Brighton have acres of space esp in the first half down our right side.

Bradley was under pressure but truth is it doesn't matter who plays right back because we concede so much space and teams will get at us on that side. Endo was covering as best he could as was Macca, but we have to do better, cover quicker.

Today I said it was VVD who stood off for their goal but in fact it was Quansah. He backed off untill the player was on the edge of the box and a chance was created. We have to react quicker to stop those attacks. This is our achilles heel and we have to defend better or will cost us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8622 
      Reply #405: Mar 31, 2024 11:51:56 pm
      Not arsed about performance, three points was all that mattered and job done.

Macallister was absolutely superb.
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 842 posts | 302 
      Reply #406: Apr 01, 2024 01:16:19 am
      Just seems to be every game teams get so much space down our right side.Yes mostly because we play a high line. Trent coming inside as well. Bradley is an attacking full back, runs more with the ball than Trent. But how many times did Brighton have acres of space esp in the first half down our right side.

Bradley was under pressure but truth is it doesn't matter who plays right back because we concede so much space and teams will get at us on that side. Endo was covering as best he could as was Macca, but we have to do better, cover quicker.

Today I said it was VVD who stood off for their goal but in fact it was Quansah. He backed off untill the player was on the edge of the box and a chance was created. We have to react quicker to stop those attacks. This is our achilles heel and we have to defend better or will cost us.

We are an attacking, possession based team and will probably leave space for counter attacks occasionally.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #407: Apr 01, 2024 01:21:45 am
      You're probably just picking up on the negative vibes about him on this forum....We don't know enough about him to like or dislike.

And how would you know how well anyone knows him 🤷‍♂️
      What an odd statement
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,034 posts | 200 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #408: Apr 01, 2024 02:15:21 am
      Very good win against a well drilled and organised, tough Brighton side.

Performance was ok. Give it a 7 overall. Mo had a very typical Mo performance, very infuriating at times but there in the decisive moments. Kelleher was largely untroubled until we decided to start messing around at the back. (Dunk header should’ve been flagged for offside) then their other half chance from the resulting corner doesn’t come.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,034 posts | 200 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #409: Apr 01, 2024 02:17:56 am
      Mac was the obvious star of the show. Did as he pleased with the ball.

Also thought Bradley had another exceptional game, yes he was caught out once or twice in that first half hour but he didn’t get much help from Salah or Szobo whilst Quansah tried to cover at times but struggled himself. He won’t be facing the likes of Estupinan and Adingra every week mind.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,163 posts | 263 
      Reply #410: Apr 01, 2024 08:18:01 am
      We are top of the league  :D  :scarf:
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,407 posts | 797 
      Reply #411: Apr 01, 2024 07:05:54 pm
      And how would you know how well anyone knows him 🤷‍♂️
      What an odd statement
      I'm fairly sure there aren't any people on this forum who know Roberto De Zerbi, and because none of us know him.  We can only form an opinion based solely on: His record, What he looks like, What he sounds like.....or we make our judgement influenced by how others perceive him....maybe it's all those things added up....But it still stands that it's staggeringly unlikely that no one on here knows him....I might of course be wrong and he's your best mate.....Now that would be odd.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #412: Apr 01, 2024 08:31:25 pm
      I'm fairly sure there aren't any people on this forum who know Roberto De Zerbi, and because none of us know him.  We can only form an opinion based solely on: His record, What he looks like, What he sounds like.....or we make our judgement influenced by how others perceive him....maybe it's all those things added up....But it still stands that it's staggeringly unlikely that no one on here knows him....I might of course be wrong and he's your best mate.....Now that would be odd.

As it happens, he's my brother in law.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,407 posts | 797 
      Reply #413: Apr 01, 2024 10:27:36 pm
      As it happens, he's my brother in law.
      That makes you my cousins husbands brother's brother.

Quick Reply