Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Scouting talk

Read 345721 times
      KeepTheFaith and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,243 posts | 1112 
      Re: Scouting talk
      Reply #6072: May 31, 2024 12:29:47 am
      Standards should always be high at LFC, yours included.

Watkins is very good and it's helped he's had the season of his life but you can also want to pass up on the signing for different reasons. You have to think value for money, you have to think for the future and longevity....neither of which I would class Watkins as being.
      My standards are high, and for me getting a CF of his cal. would be a no brainer for me. Ollie just lit up the prem, and he did it on a team not nearly as talented as us.

Great finisher and his vision in and around the box is very good too. For me he's a step up from Nunez all around, and certainly better at putting the ball in the net. Prem proven too. Sign me up. Only draw back is his age, but he's in the start of his prime so getting a 28-30 imo is one stance we could soften up on, from time to time. Thiago didn't help that trend, but Endo certainly played a big part and showed the value in a experienced pro (I'm not at all saying signing Endo is like signing Watkins in any way other than both are older ;D)

Difference of opinions I guess.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #6073: May 31, 2024 01:30:31 am
      My standards are high, and for me getting a CF of his cal. would be a no brainer for me. Ollie just lit up the prem, and he did it on a team not nearly as talented as us.

Great finisher and his vision in and around the box is very good too. For me he's a step up from Nunez all around, and certainly better at putting the ball in the net. Prem proven too. Sign me up. Only draw back is his age, but he's in the start of his prime so getting a 28-30 imo is one stance we could soften up on, from time to time. Thiago didn't help that trend, but Endo certainly played a big part and showed the value in a experienced pro (I'm not at all saying signing Endo is like signing Watkins in any way other than both are older ;D)

Difference of opinions I guess.

Fair play mate.  I'm not saying he'd be a bad signing, just not a massive improvement on what we already have.  For me, we have a very good and well rounded squad, but we need to add a sprinkling of world class talent and I believe he falls short of that mark. 

There have been a lot of examples of good players who have the odd excellent season in the Prem, but then revert back to the norm of being good not great.  Michu with Swansea.  Darren Bent with Sunderland.  Andy Johnson, Roque Santa Cruz, etc...  I suspect Watkins will revert to scoring roughly 10 goals next season. 
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,243 posts | 1112 
      Reply #6074: May 31, 2024 03:31:23 am
      Fair play mate.  I'm not saying he'd be a bad signing, just not a massive improvement on what we already have.  For me, we have a very good and well rounded squad, but we need to add a sprinkling of world class talent and I believe he falls short of that mark. 

There have been a lot of examples of good players who have the odd excellent season in the Prem, but then revert back to the norm of being good not great.  Michu with Swansea.  Darren Bent with Sunderland.  Andy Johnson, Roque Santa Cruz, etc...  I suspect Watkins will revert to scoring roughly 10 goals next season.
      Great examples. Ollie's been pretty good up to this point and I just see him reaching his prime and getting better pieces around him. With CL footy, they won't sale him for less than. 100, and as much as I like him, no thanks.

Let's get up this time next season and see whose right on Watkins 😉
      Millsy75
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 329 posts | 49 
      Reply #6075: May 31, 2024 09:29:09 am
      Not a chance fsg lay out bigmoney for someone who's 29in Dec, they don't work like that
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,506 posts | 2870 
      Reply #6076: May 31, 2024 09:34:03 am
      Would love us just to go buy the 2 or 3 players we need from the bracket of " already proven top class, age 25 to 28 "

Won't happen under this ownership.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,146 posts | 224 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #6077: May 31, 2024 10:52:46 am
      Interest in Bryan Mbeumo this morning.

Thoughts on him fellow Lfcredders?
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,245 posts | 3496 
      Reply #6078: May 31, 2024 11:10:59 am
      https://x.com/anfieldsector/status/1796458588065648809?s=46&t=_4uI6CiVRqge8WqM7F37Iw

Think this could be a great signing

Potential to be the next - Mane , pace , power and can finish

Would happily sell Diaz and bring him in
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6079: May 31, 2024 12:43:18 pm
      https://x.com/anfieldsector/status/1796458588065648809?s=46&t=_4uI6CiVRqge8WqM7F37Iw

I wouldnt be gutted, probably dont see enough football these days to make a judgement but is he in the bracket of instantly improves us?

Really think we need 2 or 3 signings where you know were better for it
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,146 posts | 224 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #6080: May 31, 2024 12:46:18 pm
      We've been linked to this Guillherme kid haven't we?

https://x.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1796301748090409428
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6081: May 31, 2024 12:49:08 pm

Sure he was mentioned as one Slot wants, but could be media sh*te

Sadly I think well see him go to a west ham type show himself to be an absolute baller and us wondering why we didnt go for him....you never know though
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,146 posts | 224 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #6082: May 31, 2024 01:49:43 pm
      Sure he was mentioned as one Slot wants, but could be media sh*te

Sadly I think well see him go to a west ham type show himself to be an absolute baller and us wondering why we didnt go for him....you never know though

& then hear our names being linked with him in 12 months time for like 3 times the price, sounds about right doesn't it.

I suppose we can't sign every talent we're linked with and will naturally miss out on players who gone on to be stars elsewhere......no club is lucky enough to dodge every bullet.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Reply #6083: May 31, 2024 02:52:08 pm
      Been watching bit of Ligue 1 lately. Wouldn't mind Lille's Jonathan David. He is quick, unselfish like bobby and know where the goal is. Won't surprise me if a big club signs him up this summer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,665 posts | 3899 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6084: May 31, 2024 03:41:57 pm

These are the types of signings I wish the club would do.
      Same when Kudus went to West Ham.
      They'll make another 100m when somebody else snaps them up in a couple of years.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,146 posts | 224 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #6085: May 31, 2024 04:07:53 pm
      They'll make another 100m when somebody else snaps them up in a couple of years.

& Can't wrap my head around why we don't, ever. 30m euros is fairly substantial for an 18 year old but it's not exactly like you'll never see than money again....sometimes that risk is worth the reward you could see at the end of it. What really is the worst case scenario here?

It almost feels as if it's impossible to go wrong signing an obvious talent from the South American region given the pool and depth of similar players.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2024 04:13:41 pm by The-AllMightyReds »
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,243 posts | 1112 
      Reply #6086: May 31, 2024 04:30:08 pm

Finally got you on my side. Love it
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,941 posts | 285 
      Reply #6087: Yesterday at 05:05:16 am

The whole point of the multi club model.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,064 posts | 547 
      Reply #6088: Yesterday at 12:46:31 pm
      We have a good squad with a good mix of youth, prime age range, and experienced heads in the group.  The task for the summer needs to be:

1.  Extend the contracts of TAA, VVD, and Mo.  If any of them don't want to extend, then sell now to cash in and replace. 

2.  Replace Thiago and Matip in the squad.  Quansah already stepped up to fill the void left by Joel's injury last season, and it sounds like Sepp had a very positive season on loan.  Maybe he can return to round out the CB depth chart?  Same logic applies for Tyler Morton and Stef Bajcetic -- it shouldn't be hard to fill Thiago's place in the squad as he barely kicked a ball these last 2 seasons. 

3.  Add quality to the starting 11.  This could be 1 big time signing, or a couple of less expensive signings.  It may also need to be done as a 1-out and 1-in situation, like replacing Gakpo, or Diaz, or Jones, etc with a significantly improved option.  To be candid, I have been underwhelmed by most of the names we've been linked with like Dani Olmo, Ollie Watkins, etc.  Hopefully Edwards is working on a piece of magic in the bbackground!!  If we can get that 1 world class star to round out this group, I think we can really push for the title again next season.

Pretty much what I'm thinking. For all the fact we are thinking about who might come in, renewing the contracts of Virgil, Mo n Trent is probably the biggest priority this summer. If any of them don't sign, then sell and spend the money.

Your point 2 basically amounts to - just replace Thiago n Joel from within the existing squad. Which I agree with.

And then, yeah, ideally buy a top class forward, with 1 of Diaz, Darwin n Cody going ( although fu**ed if I can make my mind up which one).

Only extra I would add is a good DM, or an all round midfielder (Douglas Luiz type player) - mainly a DM but who can also play right AM if needed. Might not be necessary if Bajcetic is fully fit again but, from the outside, can't be sure about that and don't want to be over-reliant on Endo.

Quick Reply