Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR

Read 1696 times
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 838 posts | 142 
      Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR
      May 15, 2024 07:41:52 pm
      Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c4n1ndlknk1o

I want it gone as it's ruining football....
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 838 posts | 142 
      Re: Premier League clubs to vote on scrapping VAR
      Reply #1: May 15, 2024 07:44:55 pm
      Jürgen Klopp spoke about an incident involving a Rodri handball against Everton in 2022 that wasn’t given.....

“You pick yourself up and go again after not winning the league from a goal from Vinnie Kompany or a not given handball from Rodri. It was a crazy situation that handball,” Klopp said.....

“I don’t know where we played, but we were on the bus already and the game was on the tele.

“We watched it and the whole bus shouted ‘Handball! Wait, he’s not getting it?” You can’t change it, but not getting there and then having three weeks to prepare for a Champions League final, these few years were mad,” Klopp said.

It’s been a couple of years now, but it’s hard to understate just how poor a decision this was.

Even Dermot Gallagher agreed at the time that Rodri’s handball should’ve been given.

“It is a penalty, no doubt. I think the VAR inspected it for too long. Paul Tierney is looking through players, he can’t see the incident and Rodri is covering him. I think this should have been a VAR decision,” Gallagher said.

Of course, if a penalty was given, there’s no guarantee that it would’ve been converted, but if Everton did manage to draw that game, the tide of the title race may have been turned in Liverpool’s favour.....

This decision clearly still plays on Klopp’s mind at least a little bit.....
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,135 posts | 222 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #2: May 15, 2024 07:50:45 pm
      I think most people if not everyone by now is sick and tired of it. 5 seasons on in the Prem and it's only made it worst. The refs or VAR - one has to go, we know we can't vote to get rid of refs so by default the other has to happen.

Too many instances where he's been sent to the monitor for a non event and too many instances where he should've been sent to the monitor for a "clear and obvious" error.

Turning point was when Mac got sent off v Bournemouth.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,279 posts | 802 
      Reply #3: May 15, 2024 07:50:53 pm
      It's not the VAR that's the problem it's the officials doing it.

I'd say scrap it, they're sh*te either way in this country. At least we'd be back to the days of being able to celebrate a goal without having to wait forever.

And before that tosser across the water comes back with his argument of there's too much money in the game for wrong decisions to be wrong. They get them wrong with VAR every game.
      Kurt Cocaine
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 838 posts | 142 
      Reply #4: May 15, 2024 07:54:31 pm

I'd say scrap it, they're sh*te either way in this country. At least we'd be back to the days of being able to celebrate a goal without having to wait forever.

And before that tosser across the water comes back with his argument of there's too much money in the game for wrong decisions to be wrong. They get them wrong with VAR every game.
      They get them MORE wrong with VAR every game....
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #5: May 15, 2024 08:10:08 pm
      Nothing wrong with VAR it’s the officials who are crap so it has been show it makes no difference with or without, so may as well scrap it and let the game flow. Bent bas**rds
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,475 posts | 823 
      Reply #6: May 15, 2024 08:10:28 pm
      Jürgen Klopp spoke about an incident involving a Rodri handball against Everton in 2022 that wasn’t given.....

“You pick yourself up and go again after not winning the league from a goal from Vinnie Kompany or a not given handball from Rodri. It was a crazy situation that handball,” Klopp said.....

“I don’t know where we played, but we were on the bus already and the game was on the tele.

“We watched it and the whole bus shouted ‘Handball! Wait, he’s not getting it?” You can’t change it, but not getting there and then having three weeks to prepare for a Champions League final, these few years were mad,” Klopp said.

It’s been a couple of years now, but it’s hard to understate just how poor a decision this was.

Even Dermot Gallagher agreed at the time that Rodri’s handball should’ve been given.

“It is a penalty, no doubt. I think the VAR inspected it for too long. Paul Tierney is looking through players, he can’t see the incident and Rodri is covering him. I think this should have been a VAR decision,” Gallagher said.

Of course, if a penalty was given, there’s no guarantee that it would’ve been converted, but if Everton did manage to draw that game, the tide of the title race may have been turned in Liverpool’s favour.....

This decision clearly still plays on Klopp’s mind at least a little bit.....
      Still plays on my mind....I posted about 5 posts on here about it at the time...There is no doubt that decision cost us the title.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,622 posts | 1515 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #7: May 15, 2024 09:17:53 pm
      https://x.com/LukeEdwardsTele/status/1790834833595232366

And this is why it needs scrapping... another day another decision. 
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #8: May 15, 2024 09:41:34 pm
      Get rid of VAR. Embarrassing.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #9: May 15, 2024 10:39:17 pm
      Of course VAR should be scrapped but with human nature City will win the league every year.

Brown envelopes carry a lot of sway.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #10: May 15, 2024 11:20:38 pm

Agree.  Seems to work well in European games.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,062 posts | 547 
      Reply #11: May 15, 2024 11:26:38 pm
      VAR has been sh*t but scrapping it may give officials even more leeway to shaft us. Least bad option might be to have automated AI VAR and just use it for offsides and nothing else.

We may just have to put up with the biased or corrupt officiating. VAR may make it slightly more difficult for them but it sure as hell didnt stop them. And it made it even harder to stomach their more ridiculous "mistakes".

Scrapping PGMOL and massively expanding the ref pool (and randomising the selection of officials for each match) would be a  help.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,135 posts | 222 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #12: May 15, 2024 11:26:51 pm
      For those saying “it’s not VAR, it’s the people behind it”, isn’t VAR the package? The assistant referee and the technology being used? They go hand in hand, no? So when the guys on the other side of the argument say “get rid of VAR it’s useless”, they mean the entire network.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,315 posts | 1672 
      Reply #13: May 15, 2024 11:46:48 pm
      I liked idea of VAR it's just been used incompetenyly there will be poor decisions without it and refs will have the easy kopout of saying we didn't have VAR. Just don't whinge when it's not here when you wish it gone can't have it both ways surely as in infancy it can be improved just think backward step to give up on it now just sort the technology,speed and skills of the majority that operate it
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #14: May 16, 2024 01:42:25 am
      This VAR thing is at least weakened the human referees. I'm one for get rid or if persist with it need a lot improvement.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,527 posts | 224 
      Reply #15: May 16, 2024 06:34:30 am
      Keep it

Statically more decisions are correct than without

But it’s we if we get rid and most of Europe, cl and international footy has it

I would be open to getting rid if semi offside tech  were a thing
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #16: May 16, 2024 08:41:31 am
      How about using it properly and stop being scared of overruling the match official if he misses something or gets it wrong?

redno7
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | 18 
      Reply #17: May 16, 2024 08:56:23 am
      The life has gone from the goals now, sure the players start to celebrate but soon as a VAR check starts the whole place goes numb and you can almost hear the joy leaving the ground. We then sit/stand/swear for 3 mins while some numb fukker draws lines on a screen, depending which angle he chooses to look from depends on the result. And if his grandad was born in Manchester then you can forget that 91st minute winner against City.

We need something but VAR isn't the answer. To much human intervention for it to be 'corrupt' by who they support, where they come from or brown envelopes.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #18: May 16, 2024 09:11:58 am
      The Spurs game saw the linesman miss a corner from about 5 metres it wasn't even close. Officials are just not up to it so VAR never will be. Gordon last night again wtf happened the lad nearly lost his ankle get rid
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #19: May 16, 2024 09:12:45 am
      Sky sports saying Lfc want to keep it wtf.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,135 posts | 222 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #20: May 16, 2024 09:29:43 am

:mad: :mad:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #21: May 16, 2024 09:33:37 am

I don't think we'll be alone.

Listening to 5Live on the way home last night and the football journalist on there didn't think it would pass the threshold on a vote.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #22: May 16, 2024 09:45:57 am
      Fans seem to universally despise it. Maybe fans will realise that they should just pay up and shut up.

Quick Reply