Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Marseille v Liverpool - Post Match Thread

Read 28277 times
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Re: Olympique Marseille v Liverpool - Champions League 11/12/2007
      Reply #23: Dec 10, 2007 04:39:50 pm
      Sod the performance i dont care how we win this game as long as we win,i dont want to be getting texts off gloating Utd fans on tue night.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #24: Dec 10, 2007 04:57:11 pm
      This is a must-win for the great LFC, and win it we must! I am not worried. Their goal at Stamford Bridge was one of those balls you didn't expect will make its way into the net. We can take these ones to the cleaners. LFC! We are the Champions!

??? ??? ??? Very confused! :-\

It's another big night in the Champions League, and I can't see us slipping up now! Not after our fantastic fight back in this group!

It'll be hard but I can't see Marseille offering up too much to trouble us! Come on you redmen! :)

same ;D, I got enough abuse from the reading defeat and the first marseille defeat and its getting really annoying seeing as they lost to coventry

LFC ALL THE WAY!!

I second that, some gloating F***ing Manc from uni really put me in a bad mood before I went out Saturday night, sending me texts. I didn't offer him anything back, although when we batter them at the weekend he'll be the first person I'm looking for on my phone! ;)
      The_Kop_4_Life2005
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts | -1 
      Reply #25: Dec 10, 2007 05:36:54 pm
      i cant wait till we prove everyone wrong by beating marseille and qualifying when no-one thought we would and when we beat united sunday and chelsea the wednesday then its going to be a very happy christmas ;D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #26: Dec 10, 2007 06:07:30 pm
      Momo and Voronin not travelled to Marseille  ;)
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #27: Dec 10, 2007 06:39:23 pm
      I can barely wait for the game, should be a cracker, with both teams almost in need of a win, or Marseille a draw. Valbuena's goal at Anfield was unbelievable, and so really we have to keep him closed down, Nasri, Niang, Cisse, and possibly Zenden could cause us some real problems as well. But, as they say:

En Rafa - Confedamos.
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #28: Dec 10, 2007 06:46:44 pm
      with both teams almost in need of a win

I can understand you getting mixed up as it hasn't really been mentioned on here, but this is a must win game, no almost about it.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #29: Dec 10, 2007 07:09:00 pm
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #30: Dec 10, 2007 07:48:17 pm
      Won't be able to watch this  :( Going to see Arctic Monkeys.

Gutted!! Mates sending me text updates though :)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #31: Dec 10, 2007 08:03:51 pm
      I can understand you getting mixed up as it hasn't really been mentioned on here, but this is a must win game, no almost about it.

I never got my answer two weeks ago, so let me try it from you eddie, if we draw and Besiktas win, Porto, and Marseile will be joint with 8 points with us.  We should go through shouldn't we!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #32: Dec 10, 2007 08:18:38 pm
      If that happens we will have a better head to head against Porto, who in turn will have a better record against Marseille who would have done better against us. So I think the next step would be goal difference which courtesy of the Besiktas result we would win hands down.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #33: Dec 10, 2007 08:24:32 pm
      It's a wierd situation that could happen.

Goal difference or alphabetical order would suit me fine  :f_tongueincheek:
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #34: Dec 10, 2007 08:29:07 pm
      Its too big of a game to not win for the champions league, for the January transfer kitty and most of all to be ready for the scums! 
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #35: Dec 10, 2007 09:03:52 pm
      If that happens we will have a better head to head against Porto, who in turn will have a better record against Marseille who would have done better against us. So I think the next step would be goal difference which courtesy of the Besiktas result we would win hands down.
      Unfortunately, the Goal difference againts Besiktas will not count, it will be done between us, Marseille, and Porto, which courtesy of the 4-1 win we would also easily win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Champions_League_2007-08_group_stage#Group_A     - Information from there

Possible developments on the next matchday (11 December):

* Porto will ensure qualification for the knockout stage by avoiding defeat to Beşiktaş.
          * Marseille will ensure qualification for the knockout stage with a win against Liverpool. A draw against Liverpool will be enough if Porto avoid defeat against Beşiktaş.
          * Liverpool will ensure qualification for the knockout stage with a win against Marseille. A draw against Marseille will be enough if Beşiktaş beat Porto.
          * Beşiktaş will ensure qualification for the knockout stage with a win against Porto. Anything less than a win will eliminate BJK entirely from Europe. A loss will leave them bottom of the group on points. If they draw, the best they can do is finish level on points with the loser of the Marseille-Liverpool match. However, both clubs hold the tiebreaker over BJK by virtue of head-to-head goals scored.

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 09:11:38 pm by smigger15 »
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #36: Dec 10, 2007 09:13:16 pm
      Looks like Besiktas have got it all to play for, COME ON BESIKTAS !!   ;) :D
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #37: Dec 10, 2007 09:15:08 pm
      Silly me, I thought football was a team sport.

;D funny and sarcastic too
      F9T
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 939 posts | -10 
      • Tra la la la la
      Reply #38: Dec 10, 2007 09:22:09 pm
      Read Stevies interview saying he'd have slapped you if you said they would qualify with a win tomorrow,

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157978071209-1020.htm

GERRARD: WE'LL SHOW OUR TRUE QUALITY
      Paul Eaton 10 December 2007
         Steven Gerrard believes Liverpool's history of heroic European fightbacks can help keep their Champions League dreams alive into the new year.
      The Reds know they need to beat Marseille in France on Tuesday night to guarantee progress into the knock-out stages of the competition.

A draw will only be good enough if Besiktas can win in Porto, but Gerrard insists memories of the famous Olympicaos fightback and the never to be forgotten comeback in Istanbul can inspire Rafael Benitez's towards another momentous night in the Stade Velodrome.

"If you'd told me five minutes after the final whistle against Marseille at Anfield we'd go into the last game knowing a win would secure our qualification, I'd have bitten your hand off at that offer," said the skipper.

"It was even worse when we lost to Besiktas. We knew then we had a real uphill struggle, but after our recent performances in the competition we know it's up to ourselves again.

"We're a different side and a lot more confident than the one which lost to Marseille at home."

He added "Everyone remembers Olympiakos, so our experiences in the past will help.

"The big difference this time is we're not at home, so that's going to make it tougher, but we're playing good football, winning games and scoring goals.

"The pressure will be on Marseille as much as us this time. We know we're always expected to go through to the knockout stage, but after they beat us at Anfield and we lost in Turkey, we weren't favourites to qualify.

"They must have hoped we'd be out of it by now and they'd already be through, but fortunately it hasn't turned out that way.

"For them not to be sure of going through after already beating us once must worry them, so we've got to take advantage of the chance we've given ourselves."

This won't be the first time the Reds have travelled to Marseille with their European future in the balance.

Back in 2004 Gerard Houllier's side crashed out of the UEFA Cup 3-2 on aggregate in the Stade Velodrome - and Gerrard is hoping to make amends this time around.

"I remember it was a great atmosphere in the stadium, but we were playing well and led 1-0 until Igor Biscan was sent off," he recalled.

"It was the first time Drogba was noticed by people in England. He scored in both legs.

"The Stade Velodrome is one of those arenas where the fans really get behind their team, but we're used to that and I'm sure we can cope.

"Although we took some criticism when we lost at home, they deserved credit for how they played.

"They'd just appointed a new manager and their lads performed like they had a lot to prove.

"We couldn't argue with the result because we weren't at our usual level. This time we determined to show them our true quality."

« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 09:26:01 pm by smigger15 »
      lewis bano
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #39: Dec 10, 2007 11:27:32 pm
      come on red men , another big night in europe , think we will win 2-0 torres to get the first. can any 1 tell me wa they think of momo cos i think es awful ??
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #40: Dec 10, 2007 11:36:51 pm
      hes a fantastic ball winner when on the top of his game. but his passing is terrible, pre season his passing was phenominal compared to how it is now. we definately need a big performance and a win in this game.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #41: Dec 11, 2007 12:23:05 am
      It's a must win game that is for sure although a draw could be a possibility if Besiktas was beating Porto which seems unlikely, if it was the case, we would go through with the best goal difference in the head-to-head matches between us, marseille and porto

Fairly certain this isn't true.  If we do not get three points we will be knocked out as Marseille beat us at home and we will have only drawn with them away.

Liverpool MUST win to qualify.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #42: Dec 11, 2007 12:41:37 am
      There's no draws about it. It's a MUST that we win. If there is any thoughts of draws from the players, then I'm sure we'd all be rather unhappy. So how's about us fans forget about any draw nonsense too. We all know it makes sense.

And let's forget about Sissoko in here for now eh?
      oldbill1894
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #43: Dec 11, 2007 02:55:03 am
      Liverpool to win - Torres, Crouch, Gerrard. (3-0)
      Benitez to come to the touchline 67 times and the physio to come on to see to kewell 6 times....
      What would William Hill give me for odds on that????
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #44: Dec 11, 2007 07:16:34 am
      I agree with redkop63 it is vital that we get an early goal and put pressure on Marseille from the kick off. I have faith and the belief that RAFA and the lads can come away triumphant.GO THE MIGHTY REDS and remember Y.N.W.A.
      glebe17
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 55 posts | -1 
      Reply #45: Dec 11, 2007 07:25:13 am
      Xabi & Dani Agger staying at home. (Will they ever come back!! ;)) & Torres carrying a knock.......

We really need our strongest 11 & 'bench warmers' (whoever they'll be tonight!!) for what is surely our biggest match of the season.

For me I reckon Gerrard & Crouch to give us a 0 - 2 win.

Come on You Reds.

In Rafa We STILL Trust.

Quick Reply