Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Zonal Marking

Read 18236 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Zonal Marking
      Dec 17, 2007 02:17:02 am
      Time to scrap it Rafa.

I've had enough of it.  It was here when Houllier was Manager and now Rafa has always been in favor of it.

Todays just another example of how castrophic it really can be.  Time to pick up the opposition by staying tight on them.  Good old Man To Man Marking brings back my FM days (which was mearly 2 weeks a go ;))

What you does everyone think?
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Re: Zonal Marking
      Reply #1: Dec 17, 2007 02:37:49 am
      Well i don't think it's all that bad if you zone on set plays, but it can cause massive mix-ups at the back, If we had just put a man on Rooney for that corner and then zoned that would have been fine but maybe Man on Man should be the way to go, we are one of the best teams, so really each of our players should beat their opposite man. I would rather man-man because so many times last night i remember seeing a manc at the back post and our defender at the close, luckily the crosses we poor though.
      scouser_10
      • Forum Ian St John

• 430 posts | -12 
      Reply #2: Dec 17, 2007 02:47:33 am
      We've conceded many goals by not playing man-to-man defending...EG: marseille's goal against us at anfield...how much time do we want to give the striker on the ball??
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Dec 17, 2007 07:31:39 am
      Where was the zonal marking when Tevez scored,there was nobody near him. I agree with Court L.F.C. re man to man marking.Still cant get over that we lost that game, in the 1st half Ferdinand and Brown were a bag of nerves when they were pressured ( disappointing )
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #4: Dec 17, 2007 09:02:56 am
      i think it's a bit harsh to say scrap it after conceding 1 goal.

we have had one of the best defences in recent years and do not concede many off set-pieces at all which is where people claim it's most vulnerable.

personally i would always go for man-marking but lets be honest rafa isnt going to change his tactics
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #5: Dec 17, 2007 10:02:13 am
      Knee jerk reaction. Say we use man to man marking then concede a goal using that, which we will sooner or later, do we switch back to zonal marking again?
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #6: Dec 17, 2007 10:17:59 am
      We have a good record this season most of the goals weve conceded have been pens so why change it?Tevez got lucky the ball could have gone anywhere unfortunatly it ended up in the net.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #7: Dec 17, 2007 10:23:05 am
      I'd always thought the man-to-man marking puts pressure on other defenders once a defender loses his 'markee'.
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #8: Dec 17, 2007 10:47:18 am
      Zonal or man to man rooney shouldn't of been given that amount of space. Carra read it but was too late. Kuyt claimed he was blocked. I agree with Eddie, if we went back to man to man and then let in goals where do we go from there?
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Dec 17, 2007 11:53:16 am
      The only reason the goal stood was that someone was playing Tevez onside. Mascherano pushed forward but another one of our players stayed on the post.

There's no need to drop the zonal marking because of one game. As mentioned earlier, the majority of our goals have been conceded through pens. It's a system that works quite well, and one lapse isn't enough to condemn it just yet! ;)
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #10: Dec 17, 2007 12:03:57 pm
      Zonal marking is fine once it’s used correctly. If I remember rightly, there were something like 8 or 9 Liverpool players inside the penalty area. Only 3 Utd players. There was no Liverpool player on the edge of the area (which is a marking zone, considering the amount of times opposing players receive the ball in this area from corners). Therefore, packing the penalty area with bodies and ignoring the edge of the area was a mistake, whether it was a player error or manager error, we don’t know. But an error all the same in my opinion.
      « Last Edit: Dec 17, 2007 12:56:44 pm by Reepicheep »
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #11: Dec 17, 2007 12:14:46 pm
      If Rafa decides to change (he won't) I think it will be better in the long-run but for this season, the players would have more pressure which they may not be able to cope with taking one player each. Right now wouldn't be ideal to change, nor do i think we need to change it now.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #12: Dec 17, 2007 12:21:59 pm
      The only reason the goal stood was that someone was playing Tevez onside. Mascherano pushed forward but another one of our players stayed on the post.

There's no need to drop the zonal marking because of one game. As mentioned earlier, the majority of our goals have been conceded through pens. It's a system that works quite well, and one lapse isn't enough to condemn it just yet! ;)

That would be Benayun
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #13: Dec 17, 2007 12:38:49 pm

Cheers mate! ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #14: Dec 17, 2007 04:17:50 pm
      There has been nothing wrong with our zonal marking.

Yossi fell asleep for a split second, instead of pushing up... and we paid for that split-second...big time.

lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #15: Dec 17, 2007 05:50:32 pm
      zonal marking is fine everyone i beg of you please. stop taking the words of pundits as the gospel of football. they dont look at the facts and figures proply. think about this, when we concede an unfortunate goal like yesterday they are so quick to mention zonal marking and whenever we lose its rotation this rotation that, but how often do we concede from set pieces it isnt often whereas the other teams that mark man to man concede from set pieces all the time. and when we are on a winning streak you dont hear them saying rotation works, they are so quick to criticise but they dont look at it from both points of view. zonal marking works we had 1 lapse of concentration and they capitalised.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #16: Dec 17, 2007 08:02:05 pm
      We've conceded many goals by not playing man-to-man defending...EG: marseille's goal against us at anfield...how much time do we want to give the striker on the ball??

13 clean sheets this season out of 26 games.
      10 goals conceded in 16 Premiership games.
      8 goals conceded in all cup games (10 games)

Christ, maybe there may not be pleasing some people.
      Of cause we're going to concede goals throughout the season, but lets get real.
      These are outstanding stats from our team defensively - look at the figures.  18 goals conceded in 26 games.

Do you think we would have a better defensive record if we went back to man-to-man marking ?

13 times we have conceded 0 goals
      9 times just 1 goal conceded
      3 times we have conceded 2 goals
      1 time we conceded 3 goals.

So in just 4 games out of 26 we have conceded more than 1 goal against us.

It's hardly a time to panic and want to change the system half way through a season.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #17: Dec 17, 2007 09:11:29 pm
      Dead right Tommo and a good post.

What did Chelsea's man to man marking achieve against Arsenal.  I wonder if all their fans are clamoring to go to Zonal Marking?

And Man U's man for man system?  Two balls cleared off the line!

As Tommo states the statistics show it has been working for us and I for one wouldn't mess with it.

It ain't broken so we don't need to fix it.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #18: Dec 17, 2007 09:53:06 pm
      Also Tommo, how many of those goals were from penalties? That'd cut the numbers down considerably! :)
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #19: Dec 17, 2007 10:23:03 pm
      Without wishing to tempt fate, it's nearly seven months since Liverpool last conceded a goal from a set-piece delivery into the box (excluding Carling Cup games, with the Reds' defence heavily altered for those games). That last one from the first team 'proper' came from a corner against Arsenal on March 31st. No other team can come close to matching this.

That was from a Tomkins article on the official site, dated 26/11/2007. Since then, how many goals have we conceded from setpieces/corners? Is Tevez's goal the first one from such a situation in over seven months? Shall we compare that to some of the other teams operating with man to man marking?

A more valid point of change would be to put someone marking the 'zone' outside the box, around the D. So many balls fall to players there from half clearances, it's worth sticking another man in there. *AFOREMENTIONED INFORMATION PROPERTY OF REEPICHEEP AND SUBJECT TO STATUTORY RIGHTS. COPYRIGHT 2007*

You can hardly blame Yossi for the goal either; had the shot gone straight into that corner, he would have been berated for not sticking on the post and defending properly. He took the chance that he wouldn't play a utd player onside to get  touch, and it backfired.
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2007 02:11:36 pm by artaylor »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #20: Dec 17, 2007 10:45:08 pm
      Good point about the marking zone outside the box artaylor and Reepicheep. I think if there is one or two opposition players hanging around outside the box - especially someone as dangerous as Rooney, then that should be thought about. Possibly a job for the striker with the least pace?

I think Eddie was spot saying a knee jerk reaction. If we had man to man marking yesterday I doubt we would have seen players marking opposition players outside the box for a corner - and that's where the danger came from.

If zonal marking was failing us on a regualr occurrence, then fair enough. But it's clear to see that it is not.

(apologies Reepicheep  ;D )
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2007 04:37:35 pm by redkenny, Reason: credit where it is due »
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #21: Dec 19, 2007 01:56:07 pm
      Good point about the marking zone outside the box artaylor.

Ahem.

Zonal marking is fine once it’s used correctly. If I remember rightly, there were something like 8 or 9 Liverpool players inside the penalty area. Only 3 Utd players. There was no Liverpool player on the edge of the area (which is a marking zone, considering the amount of times opposing players receive the ball in this area from corners). Therefore, packing the penalty area with bodies and ignoring the edge of the area was a mistake, whether it was a player error or manager error, we don’t know. But an error all the same in my opinion.

>:(

;)
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #22: Dec 19, 2007 02:09:44 pm
      Hold on, I'll edit my post :D

Quick Reply