Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Liverpool v Portsmouth (22nd December)

Read 21026 times
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Re: Liverpool v Portsmouth (22nd December)
      Reply #161: Dec 23, 2007 06:22:49 pm
      Excellent result versus a very solid team that are difficult to break-down.

All departments of our game played well, defence, wings, attack, midfield ...all did themselves (and us!) proud.

My personal rankings for this game would be:

Reina - 7 - Again didn't have a lot to do.

Arbeloa - 7 - Superb tackler, unfairly booked
      Carra - 10 - MoM - Not a foot wrong, world-class
      Hyppia - 8 - Reliable veteran, solid
      Riise - 6 - Decent game, still wasteful

Yossi - 8 - Back to his best, great crisp volley
      Masch - 8 - Brilliant midfield player ran his heart out (again)
      Gerrard - 7 - Decent game without doing anything special
      Kewell - 7 - Good play, great pass for 1st goal

Kuyt - 7 - Def Torres preferred partner, good play/movement
      Torres - 9 - Looks danagerous every single time he touches the ball

Subs
      Babel - 7 - Great touches
      Aurelio - 7 - Back to fitness
      Lucas - not enough time to be ranked in fairness

Roll-on Derby, Have a great Xmas all WW Might Red fans!

Could someone please get me a F***ing GUN!!!
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #162: Dec 23, 2007 06:28:41 pm
      Nice to get back to winning ways pomey were unlucky with the way the ball always seemed to come back to our players but we will take it after the bad luck weve had recently,dont think Muntari showed any reason why we should buy him,rather we keep Mascherano.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,800 posts | 6747 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #163: Dec 23, 2007 09:52:56 pm
      scrolling through the newsnow website and found this heading:

Liverpool? Legendary atmosphere? Yer 'avin a larf!

http://playuppompey.org.uk/forum/index.php?s=e4d49cda6b00635671717a59acf9f234&showtopic=2826&st=0&p=17391&#entry17391

I thought I'd have a read....took me into a Pompey forum.  They're going on about our lack of atmosphere at Anfield. They reckon their atmosphere at Fratton Park is so much better than ours. WTF? All they have is two frigging supporters, one who constantly bangs that friggin drum and the other one who rings a fcukin cow bell. That's not an atmoshpere, that's cause for a migraine. Obviously they'll never experience a Champions League night like we do at Anfield...maybe we can send them a DVD or something. Looks like it might be time for an invasion on to their forum.  ;)

Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #164: Dec 23, 2007 09:59:47 pm
      Could someone please get me a F***ing GUN!!!

Why?  Although I don't agree with all of donrafael's opinions it is a more realistic assessment than yours.

Yes we played well and yes it was a good result but we were far from perfect.

I was expecting a better performance from Portsmouth especially in the first half given their previous away record.  In the first half Portsmouth were poor although we could have knocked the stuffing out of them with the early goals.  They came out better in the second half and woke us up with the equalizer.  

We could have and should have done better in the game.  Riise was exposed too many times and Kuyt again often gave the ball away, failed to make the final pass and ran into cul-de-sacs.

A good performance against an underperforming team.  We can do better.  
      liverpooldan87
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts | 10 
      Reply #165: Dec 24, 2007 01:03:40 am
      To be fair AussieRed, I've been to Fratton Park a few times and the atmosphere there is pretty good. The bell does get a tad repetitive after 20mins, but his heart is in the right place. The atmosphere at Anfield the last few games has not been good at all in my opinion, the last time I thought we had a decent atmosphere was against Besiktas and lets be honest, its not hard to be happy when you're battering a team like we did then.

I would imagine I'll have a few people saying I'm moaning unnecessarily here, but i can handle it...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,800 posts | 6747 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #166: Dec 24, 2007 02:36:19 am
      I know our atmosphere as been a bit down lately ...I can or should I say can't hear it through the tv as loud as it used to be. Like one LFC supporter said though, that it's hard for us to get excited about playing teams that aren't considered "the big 4'" or when it's not a big European night. I just didn't appreciate the fact that they're writing sh*t about our club. :f_steam:
      arvindram
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 616 posts | 11 
      Reply #167: Dec 24, 2007 01:02:31 pm
      Hey just checking with u guys- its been really too often said that the opposition did not play to their full potential against liverpool. Do u believe its up to the tactics of RAFA than the opposition themselves. OM, Porto, Portsmouth, Newcastle, etc. while Besiktas and OM were described as poor teams while they clearly arent as poor as mentioned! Now they say that Portsmouth best away form team and on 6 consecutive winning streak did not play to their full potential!!! Coincidence?

Quick Reply